Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
Who was YOUR Pro-Wrestling Champion for January, 2014?
This poll is closed.
Kazuchika Okada (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) 57 41.30%
Randy Orton (WWE World Heavyweight Champion) 7 5.07%
Magnus (TNA World Heavyweight Champion) 10 7.25%
Adam Cole (ROH World Champion) 3 2.17%
Hiroshi Tanahashi (IWGP Intercontinental Champion) 22 15.94%
I Have No Idea Who To Vote For 39 28.26%
Total: 138 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Anybody remotely interesting is mad in some way or another.

2013 was the year of Kazuchika Okada, who won not only a record 7 monthly polls last year (the most of any wrestler in any given year so far) but also the Champ of the Year Poll. Click any of the images below to be taken to poll results for the given month, or the top banner for the year-end poll.

But now it's a new year, and it's time to see if Okada can keep up his momentum or if somebody (anybody!) can break Okada's seeming stranglehold on the hearts and minds of PSP. To be eligible, a wrestler needs to have held any of the currently Punchsport Pagoda accepted title belts for at least one day of the month OR had at least one title defense since becoming Champion. This means if someone wins the title on the last day of the month and defends it that night, they're eligible, and if they win the title on the first day of the month and don't defend it at all, they're eligible. The only case where someone won't be eligible is if they win the title on the last day of the month and don't defend it. Please note that belts for promotions such as PWG haven't been included in monthly polls so far because not only can months go by where the Champion doesn't defend his belt, but where the Champion doesn't even make an appearance or even do a promo about his title. If you feel this is inaccurate and you are willing to provide me with links/information etc on a monthly basis showing the PWG (or any other promotion's) Champion is actively doing stuff as champ, then I'm happy to change this stance. Simply saying,"PWG Champion <x> " and nothing else doesn't really help at all though!

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone:

Kazuchika Okada (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) - Okada consistently delivers match quality in the ring, is a compelling character, and extremely charismatic. However, his feud with Tetsuya Naito failed to set the world on fire, in fact he actually lost a fan vote that saw his Heavyweight Championship match against Naito relegated to second from the top of the card BEHIND Tanahashi's Intercontinental Title shot. While Okada ended up successfully defending his title against Naito in a match that was - as usual - very highly regarded if not quite up to the usual overwhelming MOTY claims so often associated with him. Has Okada started to slip? Is Tanahashi once again threatening to eclipse him even after he fought and defeated the former Heavyweight Champion to retain his belt throughout 2013? Are you running out of chances to vote for Okada? Or will the Rainmaker continue to hold onto his spot and put down every challenger who thinks they can outwrestle or outsmug him? Oh and hey, a big thanks again to Thauros for providing a link to Kazuchika Okada vs Tetsuya Naito, check it out if you get a chance!

Randy Orton (WWE World Heavyweight Champion) - After beating Cena clean as a whistle at the TLC PPV, Orton fell back into old habits of coasting along on the premise that everybody had always told him he was the best, so why work at it? The wheels came off for Orton when he lost a match against Kofi Kingston, a charming fellow who nonetheless would never be expected to defeat the WWE World Heavyweight Champion. Insane with disbelief, rage and humiliation, Orton lashed out at John Cena's father at ringside, meaning that for Cena things had just got personal with the man he's aleady had a blood feud with that involved Orton attacking his father. It started to look like Orton's days as champion were numbered, as he failed to avenge his loss to Kofi and then ran the hell out of the arena when Cena arrived (3 hours late!), jacked a car and fled into the night. At the Royal Rumble, he defended his belt in a standard one-on-one match with absolutely no crazy stipulations, where he was saved from apparent certain defeat by the arrival of the Wyatt Family, setting their sights on a new target after Bray finally got a one-on-one victory over Daniel Bryan. Orton got the pin, got the hell out of there, and immediately his character fell right back into undeserved arrogance, treating his assisted victory as another display of domination. But while Orton has done a good job of being an entitled jerk of a champion, his matches with Cena have failed to really generate a spark of excitement, and he's experienced the crowd making GBS threads all over his matches as they demanded a return of Daniel Bryan to the main event. Now he is facing an upcoming Elimination Chamber match to hold onto his belt, and if he can do that he can look forward to Batista getting his hands on him at Wrestlemania. The crowds have turned on Orton, but what about you? He got a fairly good number of votes in December of 2013, but that was following a clean victory in a TLC match, has his performance at the Rumble and on Raw since then impressed you?

Magnus (TNA World Heavyweight Champion) - Due to TNA's recording schedule, I accidentally revealed in December of last year that Magnus had defeated AJ Styles to confirm his spot as the REAL TNA World Heavyweight Champion. That match actually didn't air until January of this year, and so if you gave him your vote last year, you might consider giving it to him again in January as well. Beating AJ Styles and knocking him out of the promotion, the next week Magnus did the same to Sting, defeating him in a No-DQ title match that saw the defeated Sting end his TNA career. Kayfabe -wise, Magnus being a career killer who defeats and runs former long-term champions out of the promotion isn't a bad gimmick at all, but those who watch TNA can say better whether Magnus is a worthy champion or more of a Chris Sabin (sorry Sabin!). Does he get your vote?

Adam Cole (ROH World Champion) - Adam Cole didn't defend his title this month, but he did main event the extremely well regarded Pittsburgh show WRESTLING'S FINEST in a Three Team Elimination Tag match, teaming with Matt Hardy against Michael Elgin and the returning Chris Hero, as well as the Briscoe Brothers. When Chris Hero managed to pin Cole, he earned a title shot against him at the next big show, raising the possibility that Cole could see his title reign derailed before it could really get properly started, and Chris Hero could finally win the belt that eluded him in his near Jay Briscoe level of title shots from the promotion's past. But people have a tendency to underestimate Adam Cole, and maybe he'll deal to Hero the same way he dealt to Jay Briscoe and the highly regarded Michael Elgin, and continue on from strength to strength. Either way, this is your chance to vote for him for THIS month.

Hiroshi Tanahashi (IWGP Intercontinental Champion) - What makes a belt the "top" title of its promotion? This has been a source of some controversy and contention over the years, but in general one would consider the IC Title to be very definitely a midcard belt. But what if an IC Title match got top billing over a Heavyweight Championship match? What if the fans overwhelmingly voted to see THAT match over the one that is supposedly at the top of the mountain? What if that match was considered superior to the Heavyweight title match that appeared lower on the card than it? What if the promotion decided their IC Champion would headline the next PPV? Considering one of the regular WWE title belts that appeared in these polls is now gone, maybe it is time to replace it with the IWGP Intercontinental Championship? Or maybe you think that's inappropriate, that it's only a midcard belt? That it doesn't deserve inclusion in this poll? This is an experiment, we'll see how the votes play out, and please discuss in this thread your reasons why you think it should or shouldn't be included in future polls.

I Have No Idea Who To Vote For - If none of these options appeal and you just want to see what the results are or want to express a "none of the above" option, please click on this option.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at Feb 3, 2014 around 11:18

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Results from former years will be edited into here later. I've resized the images for 2013 since I had to move to a new imagehost anyway, they're in the first post, please let me know if the images are too small to read or too wide for your broswer etc. If you're happy with them, I'll adjust the size of the other years and post them in this format from now on.

Please comment on whether you think it is appropriate/right for Tanahashi's IC belt to be included in these polls!

Also please for the love of God somebody suggest a better emoticon to use for Adam Cole!

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Tanahashi holding the IC Title could be considered as a world title I guess if it keeps getting top billing on PPVs, like it is doing so again this month.

John Cena
Oct 20, 2006

Outhustle, Outrespect, Out...loyal?

wwe creates second world title, it winds up being an accidental midcard title

njpw creates a midcard title, accidentally makes it on par with their world title

king of sports????????

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

qu'un sang impur abreuve nos sillons

Thanks for including Tanahashi, guy deserves it and PSP's vote for this month (sorry Rainmaker)

Here's the Tanahashi/Nakamura Tokyo Dome main event. Yes, the IC headlined, the IWGP heavy was the penultimate match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-T3bgu3kJ4#t=7818s

The IWGP IC title has been held by two of their top three guys since July 2012 with the exception of a short La Sombra reign when Shinsuke dropped it in CMLL.

It main evented the dome, and now this month Tanahashi's headlining a seperate PPV a couple days before Okada's IWGP defense. It's easily been treated with more respect and importance than the WWE WHC generally was the past few years prior to unification. Shinsuke Nakamura's matches were always the second match on the card, which was far more than the WHC received the past couple years.

Thauros fucked around with this message at Feb 3, 2014 around 13:21

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Nope, the Rain never ends.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

WHERE IS NWA CHAMPION SATOSHI KOJIMA. He ended Rob Conway's year long terror in a feel good story at the Dome and is set to face Big Daddy YumYum!!

As for this month...Tanahashi is the top champion? I've never seen a midcard title accidentally elevated to the top before, but here we are.

Rodney the Piper
Sep 19, 2005
Goodbye Cena.

Top three are going to be Japan, Japan, I don't care option.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Desecrated, desecrated, desecrated, desecrated, die!!

My rule of thumb: If I can vote for Tanahashi, I generally will end up voting for Tanahashi. Thankfully he put on a clinic at the Dome, so I don't feel bad in my bias.

Also by the logic that the IC title is now a "main title", shouldn't Nakamura be up there too?

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

If Nakamura was there I'd vote for him just for that entrance

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

NienNunb posted:

Also by the logic that the IC title is now a "main title", shouldn't Nakamura be up there too?

It's a new and untested option putting the IC title in there, and I didn't want to muddy the water further by having TWO options for that belt in its first month on the poll.

Tonfa posted:

WHERE IS NWA CHAMPION SATOSHI KOJIMA. He ended Rob Conway's year long terror in a feel good story at the Dome and is set to face Big Daddy YumYum!!

I'll include the NWA title next month, honestly it just completely slipped my mind to include it while I was reworking the graphics.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I'll include the NWA title next month, honestly it just completely slipped my mind to include it while I was reworking the graphics.

I think Tonfa was just kidding, nobody cares about the NWA

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

How on Earth does Magnus have 10% of the vote??

CaptainYesterday
Sep 14, 2011

The cock of the walk

dsriggs posted:

How on Earth does Magnus have 10% of the vote??

I'm surprised Magnus has more votes than Orton and Cole combined.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

"You little bastards are becoming unBEARable!!"

This is "I don't care"'s month, let's do this!

sportsgenius86
Jun 17, 2008

THE STREAK IS OVER

voted Magnus because why not

Hijo Del Helmsley
Jul 18, 2012

When in doubt, make it rain.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

MATSUYAAAAAAY

Kojima would have won.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

MAGGOTS!

The Rain continues to fall.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

Okada wins another month by sucking the least.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

MATSUYAAAAAAY

That would imply he sucks, which he doesn't???

Swagger Dagger
Dec 13, 2010

You are not machines. You are not cattle. You are men. You have the love of humanity in your hearts. You don't hate, only the unloved hate. Only the unloved and the unnatural.

Okada's Tokyo Dome match being so much better than the Orton's Royal Rumble match makes this easy.

I would've voted for HHH if he was the comedy option, though.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

HulkaMatt posted:

That would imply he sucks, which he doesn't???

I don't like Okada's work much.

Right now the World Title climate is so frigid that--if there were a good comedy option--it would probably win.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

Fundamentals as sound as the WNBA

Swagger Dagger posted:

Okada's Tokyo Dome match being so much better than the Orton's Royal Rumble match makes this easy.

I would've voted for HHH if he was the comedy option, though.

Okada's Tokyo Dome match was probably the second best match of the month.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Matlock posted:

I don't like Okada's work much.

Right now the World Title climate is so frigid that--if there were a good comedy option--it would probably win.

That's why there is no real comedy option anymore for reasons.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

SMG Macklemore Fanclub

KungFu Grip posted:

That's why there is no real comedy option anymore for reasons.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

That's not a comedy, that's just loving sad

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

subs so fast you'll freak

The IWGP Intercontinental Championship main events shows (which it shouldn't be) because Tanahashi is holding the belt, not because it's the top title!!!

HulkaMatt posted:

Kojima would have won.

no way

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

qu'un sang impur abreuve nos sillons

oatgan posted:

The IWGP Intercontinental Championship main events shows (which it shouldn't be) because Tanahashi is holding the belt, not because it's the top title!!!

Never said it was the top title, but it's a main event belt that's been consistently held by main eventers for 1 1/2 years. IMO it's inarguably been treated with more importance than the WHC was before unification during that timeframe until its last month, and how a belt's booked is much more important than what a belt's named in my book. If we went by names the NWA title would be considered the most important belt currently defended in NJPW instead of a midcard championship.

Thauros fucked around with this message at Feb 6, 2014 around 01:13

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

MATSUYAAAAAAY

Well we'll never know now, will we?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

The Flaming Scotsman.

With them running more shows this year theres going to be more IC title main events, and honestly theres a potential for Okada and Tanahashi to go head to head on who can get most MOTYC defences through the year. I have no problem with this.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Desecrated, desecrated, desecrated, desecrated, die!!

I just can't wait until Chikara comes back so Eddie Kingston can take his rightful place as PSP's Champion of 2014!!!

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

As someone who didn't think the WHC should have been up there I don't agree with the change but whatever the rules are made up as we go and don't matter anyway.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

Fundamentals as sound as the WNBA

oatgan posted:

no way

Hulkamatt could rig the vote.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

MAGGOTS!

NienNunb posted:

I just can't wait until Chikara comes back so Eddie Kingston can take his rightful place as PSP's Champion of 2014!!!

I'm one of the biggest Chikara boosters on this board, and even I think Kingston would end up being the comedy option that gets like zero votes, even from those who vote ironically.

CaptainYesterday
Sep 14, 2011

The cock of the walk

WON readers like Magnus over Okada. And no, I did not vote 300 times.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

He's AWESOME!

More interestingly, there's over 300 people who know who he is.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

MATSUYAAAAAAY

Observer polls have been spammed a lot before. Average poll gets a few hundred.

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at Feb 6, 2014 around 20:47

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

One day in your memoirs, you'll describe me as inscrutable.

HulkaMatt posted:

Observer polls have been spammed a lot before. Average poll gets a few hundred.

Now I know what Dixie does with her time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

subs so fast you'll freak

why can't we vote for Akebono here this is bullshit

«2 »