Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

al-azad posted:

Doom is a dumb, gory run and gun made by a bunch of teenage/fresh-out-of-school metal head nerds. It's a game where you run 100mph shooting Dungeons and Dragons tier demons in the face with a shotgun while bombastic music blares in the background. It worked beautifully but it is the ultimate nerdy stress reliever with big guns and bloody action.

I'd say the fact that the music changed your perception so much is testament to Doom being the archetype of the early 90s first person shooter. Kind of like Duke3D's tone changed radically between the wide open, sprawling levels of L.A. Meltdown to the tight Alien corridors of Lunar Apocalypse. Doom is a combination of disparate elements you can mix and match freely and the number of mods, tweaks, and changes speak to that.

Don't post like that guy.

Instead, let's rag on the Marathon series for Day 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zenintrude
Apr 7, 2008

Marathon (and by association, Halo) is for babies who can't take the depths of Hell.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

I'm glad Marathon exists. Sci Fi really needed some more mediocre writing in the 90s.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Doom, like Marathon(and by association Halo) haven't made a good game in over a decade.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

One guy who created Marathon went on to make Stubbs The Zombie. The other guy wrote expanded fan fiction for his dumb Marathon redux.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

Marathon, what a joke. Great soundtrack in Marathon 2 though, oh wait.

What the christ is going on with Marathon Infinity's levels. No seriously. Remember D!Zone? D!Zone 2? H!Zone? I have'em all and Infinity would fit right in, here run down an empty hallway for two minutes straight, then go up and elevator that's 16 pixels wide. Great job being a joke, guys. Time to first empty room: Eight seconds.

The worst thing about Marathon is that NO ONE gave a poo poo about the story until like Halo 2 came out and people had to suddenly justify that Bungie is made up of great storytellers. Suddenly Marathon is the greatest story ever told because it has a bunch of made up names with lots of apostrophes in them.

EDIT I just remembered
Remember Bungie's botched Destiny premiere? Wahahaha. I love how Bungie, the ORIGINAL TRUE CREATORS OF MARATHON AND HALO and Respawn, the ORIGINAL TRUE CREATORS OF MEDAL OF HONOR AND CALL OF DUTY, the would-be kings of FPS development, both broke off from their big evil publishers to do something completely new, and the best both of them could do was more mediocre sci-fi FPS where you:

A) Don't run particularly fast.
B) Loot? Yeah after the embarrassment of Borderlands and Borderlands 2 being purchased by more than like twelve people we needed more of this (Destiny exclusive feature).
C) Small levels with AI mobs so weak that they aren't even bots, they just run around in a set patch (Titanfall exclusive feature).
D) No chainsaw OR super shotgun, what the christ people has technology still not caught up with DOOM ][: Hell on Earth?*
E) TITANFALL EXCLUSIVE Not your grandaddy's mechs, instead it's like being a bigger person but you can't jump, simply incredible.
F) DESTINY EXCLUSIVE Innovative, revolutionary multiplayer that the mastermind behind Halo held a weekend long conference about wasting everyone's time and showing off NO gameplay. Oh wait, the multiplayer is LITERALLY Dark Souls' multiplayer and just a rip off, hrmm, it's almost as if this company can only make pitiful ripoffs, similar to how Marathon is just a pitiful DOOM wannabe.

*Durrr but in Marathon 2 you have two double barreled shotgu-NO ONE GIVES A gently caress because guess what the result is no different from a machinegun or something it is not as cool as the SUPER SHOTGUN.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at Feb 3, 2014 around 15:25

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Marathon was the original unrelated and worthless program Mac users used as justification for their bad purchase.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Marathon gave me a good time once.
I looked at it and just started laughing, then went back to play a real game (Doom).

zenintrude
Apr 7, 2008

Do you suppose it was called Marathon because Bungie knew it would be exhausting listening to Mac owners try to justify their horrible financial decisions?

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Do you guys remember that one Mac game that was acceptable enough to not close immediately after starting? BOOM

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Over used consonants in naming Aliens and Planets? Amateur philosophy spouted by an AI that essentially has gone full retard? A conclusion that is basically "I'm a dead gay Videogame?"

Yes - Yes! - YES!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Buckwild Dorf posted:

Do you guys remember that one Mac game that was acceptable enough to not close immediately after starting? BOOM

Yeah it was called Shadowgate.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

No, it was BOOM, the DOOM / Bomberman mashup.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Sector Effector

Fun Trivia: When Marathon 2 got released on XBLA its weird hosed up HUD gave people literal nausea.

The Marathon Series: It Actually Made People Barf Up Their Lungs

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Buckwild Dorf posted:

No, it was BOOM, the DOOM / Bomberman mashup.

Even better than Marathon 2: DURANDAL??!??!?!? The game where all the walls look like they're made out of old plaster?

CousinKevin
Oct 16, 2012

Ever since they worked on that project together, her life turned around and became more exciting.

I played the Marathon demo on Xbox Live a long time ago and it was poo poo.

I just started playing through the first Doom for the first time in honour of Doom week, and holy poo poo why did I wait so long into my life to play this game!?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

CousinKevin What a great story, DOOM WEEK is truly a magical time.

The Kins posted:

Fun Trivia: When Marathon 2 got released on XBLA its weird hosed up HUD gave people literal nausea.

The Marathon Series: It Actually Made People Barf Up Their Lungs

Just for the record, there have been zero reported cases of DOOM franchise installments causing someone to puke. I see a pattern here.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

What?

Neo Rasa posted:

Just for the record, there have been zero reported cases of DOOM franchise installments causing someone to puke. I see a pattern here.

willing to bet money that john romero at least puked once from all the alcohol he consumed after becoming rich as gently caress

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

1stGear posted:

willing to bet money that john romero at least puked once from all the alcohol he consumed after becoming rich as gently caress running ion storm into the ground

ftfy

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Sector Effector

1stGear posted:

willing to bet money that john romero at least puked once from all the alcohol he consumed after becoming rich as gently caress
No, that was one of the Quake 2 3D modeller guys. I remember hearing an anecdote about him working on some other FPS (that never came out) many years after he left Id, and typically being either extremely drunk on the job or bizarrely obsessed with Nazi Sex. I think the story went on to have him punch a co-worker, leave, then come back and politely ask if he could just check something in the room where they keep all the security tapes.

I think he's dead now?

EDIT: Found it!

quote:

Early this year, we almost got him fired. Almost. By that point all the complaints about steed had finally reached some boiling point with his superiors at UTV. All the hostile workplace complaints, pending sexual harassment claims, and numerous complaints about his mismanagement of resources and personnel, had forced UTV to step in. Paul had found out about this visit by the corporate guys and had initially tried to cherry pick who would be interviewed, obviously so that he could pick the few people that were in his club of lapdogs. However UTV insisted on interviewing the entire departments. The Wednesday prior to the Monday corporate visit, Paul, probably seeing that poo poo was going bad for him, got ridiculous drunk late the night on the office premises, wandered around, urinated on things, and threw up on one of the building entrances before passing out. Then reflexively sucker punched someone who tried to help him up. This was caught on security cam. He never showed up to work the next day, by that afternoon though almost everyone heard what had happened. Friday, our internet goes down for an hour and a very anxious looking paul steed immediately afterwards calls a meeting and makes a grand show about how he believes our internet was "SABOTAGED" and that he would personally look into the security camera footage to find the culprit. Of course most people saw through his plan to get his hands on the security camera footage, too bad for him it had been seen by HR the previous day and already sent off to UTV. During the monday interviews with UTV. The whole studio pretty much threw Paul under the bus. it was glorious.
And yes, very dead.

ScarTheKiller
Sep 27, 2006
King of nothing!

Marathon doesn't have cyber demons, enough said.

exethan
May 28, 2007
too legit to quit (smoking, caffeine, etc.)

I got through about 15 minutes of Holy Hell last night and just kept dying over and over. Fighting a ton of cyberdemons isn't a big deal but having 100 Revenant rockets coming at me the whole time made things really awful when I ran into a swarm of enemies. One misstep and you're surrounded and instagibbed.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Marathon is the Giana Sisters of 90s first person shooters.

In that it was the best you could get on your lovely second-rate system, but you pretended it was just as good to make yourself feel better and now you still do out of misguided nostalgia.

sethsez
Jul 13, 2006

He's soooo
dreamy...

Marathon is a big pile of ideas that sound great until you actually play the games and realize how incredibly monotonous and clunky they are, and how little the overarching story actually matters to anything.

This also goes for the original System Shock.

Doom does very little, and does it perfectly, which is why it holds up so well. I'll take that over games that do a lot of stuff poorly any day. System Shock in particular felt like a dated mess a year after it came out.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
If you're a chick and get the reference, email me.

As I said before, Marathon 2 is a decent game.

But godamn. Marathon 1. Let's see:

Utterly hideous art direction and mspaint level sprite work?
Confusing, claustrophobic levels with no coherence?
Boring 'story' that gets in the way of the action?
Pretentious as gently caress?
Bullshit lolrandum level names?
Made by Bungie, the guys that essentially decimated untold miles of the FPS genre's surface?

Yes to all.

Marathon 3 is all of those things (minus art direction and sprite work) times....Infinity.

Also everyone should post covers of Into Sandy's City, aka the best Bobby Prince Doom song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYVV23xA8L4

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

raditts posted:

Marathon is the Giana Sisters of 90s first person shooters.

In that it was the best you could get on your lovely second-rate system, but you pretended it was just as good to make yourself feel better and now you still do out of misguided nostalgia.

I remember trying out the Infinity demo on XBLA, getting a splitting headache, and then trying out the freeware version of the first game on my PC. I don't think I got to the double shotguns.

Wasn't the Infinity port basically a goon project that somehow got published?

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

Oh, there's a little trick to opening this cart.

I like marathon.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

jim kelly's newer, not-so-dead kid

I remember reading about Marathon in an old copy of Computer Games Strategy Plus (the best PC mag ever).

What a lovely game.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Remember how Marathon had no verticality to it but was just a big optical illusion because it was mad by retards who rolled elf wizard in every d&d sesh?

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

The first thing we wanted to do with Halo, which we didn't do with Marathon, was let the player move up and down.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Buckwild Dorf posted:

The first thing we wanted to do with Halo, which we didn't do with Marathon, was let the player move up and down.

The best was how they knew their controls were a shame compared to the tight ultra-responsiveness of DOOM so the "jumping" in it is basically you run off a platform and hover in the air for a bit before slowly floating down like Mario with in the Raccoon outfit or something.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Can we do Goldeneye next because Jesus Christ was that game a flaming pile of poo poo even in 1997 but people still swear it's something worth remembering

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

What the gently caress is Marathon?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
If you're a chick and get the reference, email me.

Doom Goon posted:

What the gently caress is Marathon?

A poo poo game for twats.

Doom is for people of wealth and taste.

sethsez
Jul 13, 2006

He's soooo
dreamy...

raditts posted:

Can we do Goldeneye next because Jesus Christ was that game a flaming pile of poo poo even in 1997 but people still swear it's something worth remembering

Goldeneye wasn't even the best FPS released on the N64 in 1997.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

In middle school, I was hella into Doom and this insufferable nerd kid who was hella into Macs wouldn't shut the gently caress up about Marathon and would draw the logo on everything. I finally got to see it and thought it looked and played like hot garbage in comparison.

That kid went on to be a rocket scientist or some poo poo and makes like 100k a year and I'm still working entry level garbage jobs but I still like to think I made better life choices than him.

Thanks for listening to my story about how lovely Marathon is.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

sethsez posted:

Goldeneye wasn't even the best FPS released on the N64 in 1997.

Turok owns

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Sector Effector

raditts posted:

Goldeneye's decent. It's aged worse than the other classics of the genre, but it's still alright. Better than Marathon, at any rate.

Neo Rasa posted:

The best was how they knew their controls were a shame compared to the tight ultra-responsiveness of DOOM so the "jumping" in it is basically you run off a platform and hover in the air for a bit before slowly floating down like Mario with in the Raccoon outfit or something.
No, the best was when they had a jumping puzzle that was so bad they hid an apology for it in the Myth games.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

zenintrude posted:

Do you suppose it was called Marathon because Bungie knew it would be exhausting listening to Mac owners try to justify their horrible financial decisions?

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Wait, Mac gaming? I'm still confused.

Also, I'm glad somebody else remembers the pinnacle of N64 1997 first-person shooters: Star Fox in first-person mode.

«3 »