Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«4 »
lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Some time ago in the far far away land of GBS 1.0 in a thread that seems lost to the mysteries of the archives,

I made a thread asking goons to support building a school in Africa.

It was a goon donation thread that seemed like it'd backfire like so many before. But a lack of updates was entirely my fault, and (almost) entirely due to laziness... But!

Well, we built it. Then I got a job and moved away and couldn't get any photos. But now, in a shocking turn of events, I have photos - so let the thanks thread begin!

Here's some of the stuff I wrote on the area for anyone needing a refresher on why we did this:

quote:

A lot of people have said that the commitment to education that people have in Turkana is amazing, and rightly so. This map shows the change over the course of one year in school uptake, and is pretty phenomenal. In areas where schools have just been introduced, and in others where coverage is improving, the % increase is pretty astounding and really shows how much education is valued and invested in by local groups. The school we’re building will be on the Kerio/Lokori border, an area without a nearby school. It will fall on the border between an area with a 2.4% increase in school attendance (between two terms of the same year) and one with a 1.9% decrease. You can see that in areas where schools have recently been set up (North Turkana especially), hundreds if not thousands of children and adults have flocked to join in on the education process.

Building a school in the area we work in is only going to help that process. Remember again that people will walk for a day or so to attend school (and think nothing of that distance – there’ll be a story about that later), so building on the Kerio/Lokori border is going to open up a phenomenally large area of Turkana that is still completely without a school to education.

What we did

We asked for only a little bit of money and overnight, goons had given about £2,000. Goons ended up giving about 70% of the money we needed

With donations from friends, supporters and colleagues, we managed to get all of the money needed to build and stock a small rural school in the northern Kenyan desert, an area I described as being home to "the coolest, most badass of peoples" - the Turkana.

You built a school where one was needed most - far from any kind of educational provision, in an area largely forgotten by the Kenyan government. A place where kids can come and learn and play, safe from scorpions, snakes and spiders (or at least as safe as you can be out there). The school will teach kids how to read and write, both in their own language but also in Swahili, the dominant language of Kenya, making them vastly more likely to be able to get jobs and further education which will help them succeed in life.

The school was built over the course of a month by a team of students from England alongside trained local builders using, as far as possible, materials that could be made by local people - spreading the wealth generated by employment to as many as possible, rather than just to Nairobi-based companies and haulage firms. The brick and concrete material of the school will help it stay relatively cool in the summer and will keep it standing in the sandstorm winds of Turkana for many years to come.

Pictures!

Digging foundations

Variably happy at the prospect of school

mud-bricks drying out ready for use

Building (look how tall the Turkana are! The guy on the right is Pedro)

A traditional school

Interior

Exterior

A mark for the ages

Filling out equipment

Names of the team - thanks to Fred, Chris, Natus, Clem, Andreas and Phil

The old men come for a look (and a cigarette)

Grand opening

Thoughts from Turkana aka Lenoon waffles on:

For those of you who missed the donation, I thought I'd include some of my favourite things about Turkana I wrote in the last thread, so here they are!

On the Turkana sun posted:

The sun is a malevolent ball, a relentless hammer that hurts whenever it touches my skin and I don’t think I can take it anymore. Francis and Pedro notice me wincing and try to take my mind from the fact we can’t get off site until the jeep comes. They point out the places on what appears to me as a desolate plain where you can find wind, or shade, or water. They tell me that during the dry period the land is “flat” but filled by sunshine. Not heat, but light – light that lets you see, light that shows you the faces of your wife and children, light that lets you count your goats or fix your shoes, the light is a blessing. When the rain comes the landscape fills with the texture of life and happiness – akourab. A fleeting cloud passes over the sun and I almost sigh at the drop in temperature. Elib is the shadow cast by a cloud, the grace that cools the sun and sand. There are different kinds of shade and each has a different purpose, this one is so we can relax and have a cigarette. I get the hint and light three up as the jeep comes over the horizon.

Cool myths and legends posted:

Orakol gave some sorghum to his eldest wife Loslang for her to plant on the banks of the Longiro River. She made a fire and slept with Orakol on a beautiful cow-skin. She shared the seeds with her co-wives and moved from place to place on the Longiro river to plant seeds, except the youngest wife, Nayeche who moved east to where the fruit was, as she did not trust the rains to grow the seeds every year without fail. This is where Engiro was found. She moved to be with her mother. The other wives stayed by the banks of the river and grew seeds and built towns, which makes no sense. So the Jie still grow their plants and call their towns after the wives of Orakol, and why we used to marry their women and raid the Karamajong with them. So the Jie say the Turkana are part of their ancestor’s [daughter-ancestor? My notebook gets very vague on the topic here] family and we say that they stayed in a bad land.

Turkana Origins

The Turkana have no central God and no formal belief system. Christian missionaries consider them "The Least Evangelized people on the planet". They call themselves "The people of the Grey Bull", from an origin story so (comparatively) relaxed and lacking in the magic and fire of most people's that you can't help but like them:

In the days when rain fell when it should and Akuj was not so lazy, the men of the Turkana came from the east to follow the Ingiro, the grey bull the color of the sky. They came to the Tarash river where they saw the bull with a woman, Naieke, living at the foot of the great hill (ed: Academic articles tell me this was "Moru Anayece". The woman had come from the home of the men, but was faster than them and gathered the fruit from the trees when the rains and river were higher. Naieke made them a fire and took them to the good grazing. Our fathers were so impressed they took Ingiro to the home of the Jie and collected their sons and fathers, told their wives to follow and left for the river. Ingiro led the herds and is now the father of the bulls of the Turkana. The Poquot were there before Nairobi gave them guns, so we took their goats too! This is why the Turkana have goats and cows, but it is also why the Poquot come now with guns and raids.

(From my notebook, told by Peterson Eporon)

You're all good people. Thanks again from the Team - your names and countries have been commemorated:

If you're a goon who gave money and I'm ever in your area, I owe you a favor.

And, most importantly, thanks from the kids:

lenoon fucked around with this message at Feb 3, 2014 around 20:37

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Tacorleone
Apr 2, 2013

I hope to one day see a post like this about Hot Dogs

Hwbrgdtse
Nov 23, 2013

Why hello!

lol tryhard

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

i'm glad of the school.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Hwbrgdtse posted:

lol tryhard

I know, shocking - I capitalized words as well! Crazy.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

when can we drop by for our complimentary hot dogs

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

lenoon posted:

I know, shocking - I capitalized words as well! Crazy.

oh man you've been in africa for years and now you've come home to gbs 1.4 and your gonna have culture shock.
THINGS HAVE CHANGED, LENOON.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

im glad your school got built.

unlike that fucker hindoobie who tried to get us to fund his sweatshop

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

Are they going to paint a big frog on the side of it?

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER

gas the kids, ban the teachers, close the school + this thread

King of Hamas
Nov 25, 2013

by XyloJW

those old men look badass and I bet they drop sick burns on the young guys all day every day

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

King of Hamas posted:

those old men look badass and I bet they drop sick burns on the young guys all day every day

figurative burns for the men, literal vats of acid for the women

you rock
Sep 12, 2010

You wanna fuck with this shit I fuckin dare you. You fuck wit the hedge you get the spines

How come there is no SA grenade logo on the school?

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Because we're not idiots.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

thanks for the good work, op

you rock
Sep 12, 2010

You wanna fuck with this shit I fuckin dare you. You fuck wit the hedge you get the spines

If goons provided 70% of the funds, I think there should be some kind of reference to that. When rich people fund hospitals, it is complimentary to recognize that by naming departments after them.

Did you take all the credit OP, and not tell them where the money came from ("Something Awful, a website") then I find that disingenous, and so do probably the childrens

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

lenoon posted:

says the guy who built a shack in a third world country w no supporting infrastructure

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

Makes the best adventure threads!

lenoon posted:

Good on you for doing something good in this world.

Now be prepared for angry people to poo poo on it because they have no self worth and can't imagine doing anything helpful.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

buildings cant talk, idiot

Evilpiggie
Feb 22, 2009

you rock posted:

If goons provided 70% of the funds, I think there should be some kind of reference to that. When rich people fund hospitals, it is complimentary to recognize that by naming departments after them.

Did you take all the credit OP, and not tell them where the money came from ("Something Awful, a website") then I find that disingenous, and so do probably the childrens

He's a goon. It would be expected of him to steal the credit. I would be disappointed if he didn't.

Good job OP. You will surely go to heaven now.

t3h z0r
May 7, 2008

Luvcow posted:

Now be prepared for angry people to poo poo on it because they have no self worth and can't imagine doing anything helpful.
Some of us have good reasons for watching anime all day, ableist scum.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009

Maybe I got time to figure out how to de-spirit a toaster.

glad it worked out!

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

SWITCH HITLER posted:

says the guy who built a shack in a third world country w no supporting infrastructure

it's kenya not south sudan u fucker

should've built it in s.sudan though only like 30% of their entire population can read lol

cuckold cleanup
Sep 27, 2013

that's cool

Armchair Calvinist
Jan 10, 2005

I need to somehow get a hold of a multimeter so I can pin out my headlight wiring and install a brighter front end. But I also need to finish the Thieves Guild quest line so I can restore order and honor to the underworld of Riften.

Cool school OP, glad it worked out

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

Crewmine posted:

it's kenya not south sudan u fucker

should've built it in s.sudan though only like 30% of their entire population can read lol

look at all the roads and power lines around those seminomadic tribesmen

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

SA was deeply hurt from the hotdog fundraiser, and still needs time to heal

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

real talk: youre a despicable imperialist, op. juche will come to this country and teach them to rise up against your bourgeois ways

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Evilpiggie posted:

He's a goon. It would be expected of him to steal the credit. I would be disappointed if he didn't.

Good job OP. You will surely go to heaven now.

While I know this wasn't a serious post, I do want to say that when I said 'we' in the post above, I was referring to both the team that went out and built it and the goons that provided the money.

It was a team effort. You all deserve the credit, from those who have money, those who contributed with comments suggestion and questions in the thread, those who suffered through my journal notes about Turkana and for those who weren't involved, thanks for not voting the original thread into the gas chamber and for providing a community where it's still possible to make a really positive difference in the world when we get together.

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

SWITCH HITLER posted:

look at all the roads and power lines around those seminomadic tribesmen

p sure there actually are some powerlines in the distance of one of the pics

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

SWITCH HITLER posted:

real talk: youre a despicable imperialist, op. juche will come to this country and teach them to rise up against your bourgeois ways

I'm a third internationalist, benevolent Marxist paternalism is what we do!

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Fee Fi Fo Fat,
I smell the blood of a Plutocrat!

lenoon posted:

We asked for only a little bit of money and overnight, goons had given about £2,000. Goons ended up giving about 70% of the money we needed

GBS could have built 7 of more of those schools instead of 0 hotdog stands.

Downtown Abey
Feb 14, 2002

maybe i'm just too demanding

Great job! Thanks for sharing the update!

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

Crewmine posted:

p sure there actually are some powerlines in the distance of one of the pics

lol you actually looked at the pictures/words

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

bitterandtwisted posted:

GBS could have built 7 of more of those schools instead of 0 hotdog stands.

Yeah but a hotdog is a time machine ticket to an era of nostalgia and dreams whereas a school is just a lovely portal to better prospects

memy
Oct 15, 2011

SWITCH HITLER posted:

Disco Infiva
Oct 14, 2013

Great job! It's good to see a charity not gone horribly wrong.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

SWITCH HITLER posted:

Thanks man.

Call Me Abey posted:

Great job! Thanks for sharing the update!

No problem, I'm just sorry it took forever!

Ill be keeping an eye on te thread so everyone please do feel free to ask questions or for more pics. I don't work at the centre that built it these days but I'm still in ok contact with most of the people who do, so could still find more material.

Ron Paul Hype Man
Jun 18, 2007

It's a revolution
Brothers and sisters
There ain't a fight
And it doesn't mean
A god damn thing

Have they gotten their Denver Broncos World Champions shirts yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Ron Paul Hype Man posted:

Have they gotten their Denver Broncos World Champions shirts yet?

Actually all the kids are angry about the Super Bowl advert because America is an English speaking country goddamn it, so we might wait for that to die down.

«4 »