Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The Devil Tesla
Jan 2, 2012

serving a life sentence
in gay baby jail

Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha is about a love sick high school girl (Inari Fushimi) who gets the crushes bad for Kōji Tanbabashi, who she thinks is into Akemi Sumizome. Coincidentally, she saves the cute fox familiar of local shrine goddess Uka-no-Mitama-no-Kami and is granted a wish! Which she uses to transform her appearance to look like Akemi. When she realizes how bad an idea that was she goes back to Uka, who gifts her a tiny bit of godly power that lets her magical girl transform into anyone she wants. Supernatural romance ensues.

Other complications come from Inari's older brother Tōka, who has more to do with the shrine than it first appears.

Inari is fun, gentle stuff and it tells a tight little story. It's rather pretty too. It's being simulcasted by Funimation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Not gonna wear that.

Uka is the nerdiest goddess I remember seeing. Still I wonder what the brother has to do with things.

pandaK
May 5, 2011

It's like a fairy circle!

True romance can only be found in video games.

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!

nielsm posted:

Uka is the nerdiest goddess I remember seeing. Still I wonder what the brother has to do with things.

Which one? Uka's or Inari's?

Both have important roles, but I believe the latter is the true protagonist of this show, not his sister.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

How is that for an enigmatic answer?

How long is this series going to be? 1-cour? I hope it's more because I'm really digging this anime. It's a nice dosage of relaxing that I haven't seen much in the other shows this season.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

Nondevor posted:

How long is this series going to be? 1-cour? I hope it's more because I'm really digging this anime. It's a nice dosage of relaxing that I haven't seen much in the other shows this season.

10 episodes

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

CG: IT'S ME AGAIN, ASSHOLE
CG: THE ONE WHO HATES YOU, REMEMBER?

Xythar posted:

10 episodes
That's a bit unfortunate. I recently went through the manga and while I wound up liking it a lot I felt there was a rather significant increase in quality towards the end. The early chapters seem more focused on Inari's transformation antics and I guess that's all we'll get here.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

I used to live in Fushimi-ku, which is the southern-most ward of Kyoto and this show brings back a lot of fond memories of visiting the Fushimi Inari shrine, which is the HQ of all other Inari shrines throughout Japan. The shrine is famous for the thousands of torii gates that form a "magic tunnel" up and around the Inari mountain.

Much like the Eccentric Family, which was also based in Kyoto, the show tries to replicate certain geographical locations with precise similarity and so I recognized a lot of the backgrounds; that being said, I really enjoy the pacing and character interaction as well, so I'm appreciative for those who brought this show up.

In reference to the image on the OP:

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

How is that for an enigmatic answer?

Nate RFB posted:

That's a bit unfortunate. I recently went through the manga and while I wound up liking it a lot I felt there was a rather significant increase in quality towards the end. The early chapters seem more focused on Inari's transformation antics and I guess that's all we'll get here.

Yeah, after binge-reading through the rest of the chapters, I was hoping to see the latter parts of the manga animated. It's a shame that the show's only ten episodes though... I was expecting twelve at least.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

This show is a little too soft and gentle for my tastes, but I'd be lying if I said didn't laugh at Uka's secret hobby.

Also for someone who has been given divine powers Inari really doesn't utilize them. So far Inari's superpower exists ONLY to get her into trouble, and sometimes to get her out of the trouble that it got her into.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHnMDGIbFkc

What is it with all these mythology based stories centred around Kyoto? Seems like there's a lot of them.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

lol snork ;D

Fangz posted:

What is it with all these mythology based stories centred around Kyoto? Seems like there's a lot of them.

Kyoto has tons of temples and is traditionally associated with the supernatural.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

Suffer this Terrible curse!

Jesus did Touka steal all his let's-violate-everyone-else's-personal-space mannerisms from shoujo manga or something?

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

Phobophilia posted:

Jesus did Touka steal all his let's-violate-everyone-else's-personal-space mannerisms from shoujo manga or something?

Yes? Pretty sure this can fall nicely under the umbrella of shoujo manga. Reminds me of Kimi no Todoke in later parts, which I enjoyed.

The Devil Tesla
Jan 2, 2012

serving a life sentence
in gay baby jail

Elite posted:

So far Inari's superpower exists ONLY to get her into trouble, and sometimes to get her out of the trouble that it got her into.

This is bad how?

ArcadePark
Feb 4, 2011

Damn it, It's all your fault!

booksnake posted:

Yes? Pretty sure this can fall nicely under the umbrella of shoujo manga. Reminds me of Kimi no Todoke in later parts, which I enjoyed.

Which is odd, since this manga was originally from a Seinin Demographic Magazine (Ages 20-30 males)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

CG: IT'S ME AGAIN, ASSHOLE
CG: THE ONE WHO HATES YOU, REMEMBER?

The Devil Tesla posted:

This is bad how?
I've never cared for any of the transformation antics. My first impression of the manga was that it based far too much on awkward humor arising from Inari being dumb and I struggled a bit to get past the first few chapters. I think the author agreed because as time went on (and the quality went up) she essentially stops transforming altogether.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

Suffer this Terrible curse!

You can't help but compare this show to last season's Gingitsune, and that show was far superior to Inari Konkon. Where Gingitsune is naturalistic, heartfelt and sublime, Inari Konkon is forced, cynical, and exploitative. Gingitsune let a whole dozen characters say a thousand words about themselves with only a few lines of dialogue and interactions, while Inari Konkon spends those thousand words on dialogue and the characters are not convincing at all.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

Funny you say that because I actually like this show a lot more than Gingitsune. Gingitsune was decent, but a bit dull and it felt like it never really went anywhere in the 12 episodes that were allocated to it. On the other hand, I've found this show to be frequently hilarious and genuinely cute. Both shows have their merits, but I've enjoyed Inari far more so far - it is in a very real sense the show that I wanted Gingitsune to be.

By the way, the two shows are pretty comparable in terms of dialogue density, but if anything I'd say Gingitsune was slightly wordier. Gingitsune had an average of 386 lines of dialogue per episode, whereas Inari's average is 328 as of episode 5. This doesn't account for things such as line length, and Inari's might change as the remaining 5 episodes come out, but it's definitely not the difference you suggest.

For comparison purposes, your average action show without much talking is ~200 lines, shows like Psycho-Pass and Madoka are 250-300, slice of life, LN adaptations, or otherwise drama-focused shows tend to average around 300-400 and comedy shows (especially if they're by Kyoani) can reach 400-500+. The wordiest show I've seen this season is D-Frag which has well over 500 with almost every episode. But I digress.

Xythar fucked around with this message at Feb 13, 2014 around 09:13

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Phobophilia posted:

Gingitsune let a whole dozen characters say a thousand words about themselves with only a few lines of dialogue and interactions, while Inari Konkon spends those thousand words on dialogue and the characters are not convincing at all.

Not having got around to watching Gingitsune yet, this just evaporated all my interest in it.

Inari KonKon seems like ok if somewhat light watching, so you're really going to have try harder to sell your opinion. I'm hearing "Lots of characters in that other series had tons of lines and barely interacted, so it's better.", but I don't really see your point.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

Pro Gingitsune

Xythar posted:

Con Gingitsune

Have to say that I'm also of the opinion in that this show is what I wanted Gingitsune to be; I really struggled to get through the nice banality of Gingitsune characters to the times when it had good interactions and on the other hand, this show has never been a chore to watch.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

OBVIOUS CAGE PLANT SPOTTED

Ginkitsune didn't really go anywhere or accomplish anything. It's strongest points were being simple and inoffensive. This show as far more substance already.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHnMDGIbFkc

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Kyoto has tons of temples and is traditionally associated with the supernatural.

My question is why all of them are coming out now.

Paracelsus
Apr 5, 2009

That "rough stone pillars making a stepping-stone path in a deep pond" setup at the shrine is neat.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Paracelsus posted:

That "rough stone pillars making a stepping-stone path in a deep pond" setup at the shrine is neat.

They've got to be incredibly slippery though. Hard rains raising the water level, algae growth, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

Well, I've watched the first episode and it seems interesting and pretty funny. Sumizome even gets the Anime Protagonist Seat - but the actual protagonist sits in the middle of the class.