Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Synastren posted:

If I'd guess, I'd say that Mengsk has a good enough propaganda machine to make it irrelevant, though.

He just has to give a speech and everyone falls into line. James Harper is good at voice acting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Resurrection IV is definitely considered semi-canonical, as the purification that occurred at the end of the mission is mentioned in official lore about the planet. Some of the minor lore details however, such as some of the lines characters say during the mission, are not cannon anymore.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Feinne posted:

Yeah, there are, um, reasons to believe those events might not be entirely canon.

No, it's canon, it's just another character intervenes that we can't talk about right now.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Honestly the worst crime of modern Blizzard writing is that it they've reduced storytelling to a handful of tropes, and they use the same ones in every game. It's all got a five-year-old edge to it that just doesn't satisfy.

I'd be down for some multiplayer later in the LP. My mouse control is kinda garbage and I'm way out of date on maps, but I still play now and then and even sometimes win.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

I never got into StarCraft multiplayer, but I played through most of the single player campaign of Wings on a friend's account. I was always more interested in the story anyway. I know pretty much how it ends, but not really how it gets to that point. I guess this will help me fill in the blanks.

Not really familiar with the story of Heart of the Swarm, though I do pretty much know how it ends, due to watching my brother play through the last mission, so I guess that will be new when we get to that point. Never really liked the Zerg in the first place...

Might finally buy the two campaigns sooner rather than later, but since I have no real interest in the multiplayer, I'm not sure how long that will last me. How much are they going for now anyway? Maybe if they're cheap, I might look into them. I do have all this Chinese New Year money to spend, after all...

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I'm waiting for the inevitable Starcraft 2 Battle Chest, which will probably come out in 2025, before I pick up HOTS and whatever the last one is. Speaking of which is there any date - even tentative - on that coming out? Or are we all assuming 2016 because of the three year gap from the first two?

Bonfiesta
Sep 4, 2012

Lunethex posted:

There's a lot more but I have no idea what's even being done with it anymore. Lots of interesting scenarios, but the way b.net 2.0 handles maps is terrible and only lists the most popular to join in some weird matchmaking system. Maybe that was changed but that's how I remember it when it came out.
It took them a long time, but they eventually came to their senses and fixed it. Now, instead of essentially forcing you to choose from popular maps, there's an Arcade section that shows you maps that have an active lobby (you know, like in every other multiplayer game ever). And all it took was 3 years of constant complaining from mapmakers like me (the few that are left, that is) for them to add it in.

I can sleep well at night knowing that the people who designed BNet2.0's interface were rightfully fired. (I think? It's been a while.)

Bonfiesta fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 6, 2014

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Psion posted:

I'm waiting for the inevitable Starcraft 2 Battle Chest, which will probably come out in 2025, before I pick up HOTS and whatever the last one is. Speaking of which is there any date - even tentative - on that coming out? Or are we all assuming 2016 because of the three year gap from the first two?
Legacy of the Void does not have a definitive release date as of right now. Some are assuming 2015/2016 like you said, but Blizzard has been keeping details about the game under lock and key. Which makes sense given that Heart of the Swarm's ending cinematic got leaked in 2012 (and then Blizzard proceeded to change almost nothing from the final in-game version).

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

AradoBalanga posted:

Legacy of the Void does not have a definitive release date as of right now. Some are assuming 2015/2016 like you said, but Blizzard has been keeping details about the game under lock and key. Which makes sense given that Heart of the Swarm's ending cinematic got leaked in 2012 (and then Blizzard proceeded to change almost nothing from the final in-game version).

Oh, so that video WAS the ending and I wasn't misremembering!

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)
:siren:Update:siren:

There are two things we need to decide for next time, our Upgrade and Mission

Upgrade
We've got 100,000 Credits, so we can only buy one of these.

Combat Shields
- Marines gain +10 life
50,000 Credits

Stimpacks
- Grants Stimpack ability
- Marine takes 10 damage, moves and shoots 50% faster for 15 seconds
60,000 Credits

Advanced Medic Facilities
-Medics no longer require the Tech Lab add-on.
60,000 Credits

Mission

Smash And Grab
110,000 Credits
4 Protoss Research
New unit: Marauder

The Evacuation
100,000 Credits
3 Zerg Research
New unit: Firebat

Voting will end Saturday Feb 8th at 11:00 pm EST

Raldan fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Feb 7, 2014

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
I say stimpacks and smash and grab.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

InfinityComplex posted:

I say stimpacks and smash and grab.
This.

Might as well get the M/M/M combo going early, and Mauraders are never bad.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
We need Stimpacks. The best way to win is to make sure enemies are dead faster, we're not using real marines until we they're drugged up. It just makes the most sense :smug:

I'm torn between both missions but let's go trash some Protoss fanatics in Smash and Grab

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Do The Evacuation to give the old marine/firebat/medic blob one last chance for glory.

And, of course I'm voting stims.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Voting for Stimpacks and The Evacuation.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
I'm also voting to get stimpacks. For the mission, let's assist The Evacuation on Agria.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Stimpacks and Evacuation.

Bit of game-nerd trivia and all, but the Hyperion was not just one of Arcturus Mengsk's fleet, it was his personal flagship. When Raynor basically said 'screw this noise' after the near-destruction of Tarsonis and the capture of Kerrigan back in the end of SC1's Terran campaign, he really did put the screws to Arcturus by stealing the biggest, best-equipped, and most-comfortable warship in the Sons of Korhal fleet.

Probably one of (many) reasons Jimmy gets under Arcturus' skin so often.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Stimpacks because :getin:

Evacuate because it's what Raynor would do.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Stims, is there really any other choice?

And do Evacuation next, because firebats.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Stims and Smash'n'Grab, I say.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Stimpacks. They're actually an interesting ability as opposed to 'have some stats'. And The Evacuation, because Firebats really don't have much of a chance to shine, so might as well give them one.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

:catdrugs: and Evac, because those pansy-rear end colonists need someone to bail them out.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Voting for AMF, and urging others to reconsider likewise. Think about it - it means we can build Medics very quickly along with Marines, which would improve their combat effectiveness far more than stimming or with a mere +10 HP. (Ideally, we get all three upgrades soon to drown the enemies in a tide of infantry)

zA Zombie
Dec 31, 2011
Going to vote for Stimpacks and The Evacuation.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
The rescue mission gives us the campaign-only unit Firebats, but the artifact mission gives us Marauders, which are probably better to balance the army out, so Smash and Grab and Stimpaks.

Mortuus
Nov 8, 2012

Jesus loves you, useless corpse
Stimpacks and Evac sounds nice.

This LP convinced me to buy this, and I got it on Amazon for $20 so that was cool.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Shields and Evac. I really like firebats, they're great at absorbing damage from melee units that would otherwise hit your marines. But they have a big problem with that the game will always strive to put your medics behind the marines so they can't reach to heal them and they keep dying, unless you actually bother to micro. :effort:

ChaosSamusX posted:

Voting for AMF, and urging others to reconsider likewise. Think about it - it means we can build Medics very quickly along with Marines, which would improve their combat effectiveness far more than stimming or with a mere +10 HP. (Ideally, we get all three upgrades soon to drown the enemies in a tide of infantry)
Since all infantry except marines require you to build a tech lab anyway it's just a waste of money to research it in my opinion. But drowning the zerg in a tide of bodies sounds like an awesome plan however.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Combat Shield and Smash & Grab. You need Marauders man, you have to show off the coolest unit in the game ASAP.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Stimpacks and Evacs

You can't ignore this rhyme.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Stimpacks because gotta go fast, and Evacuation because this is the optimal use of going faster. Firebats help with the other one anyway, just in time to shelve them.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Poil posted:

Since all infantry except marines require you to build a tech lab anyway it's just a waste of money to research it in my opinion. But drowning the zerg in a tide of bodies sounds like an awesome plan however.

Plus there's an upgrade later in the game that completely invalidates AMF and I would be amazed if we didn't buy it.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Stims and Smash

One thing I really appreciated about this mission (well, SC2 in general) is that it makes Battlecruisers look way more badass, as they should be. In SC1 you had this huge disconnect between cutscenes (huge, powerful, looming presence of the battlefield, like in the Brood War intro) and then in-game they were kinda small and shot one dinky little laser bolt, like a glorified Wraith.

Ingame to cutscene scale is always a problem but SC2 does it better and they look like proper warships firing more than one little laser now. It's probably my favorite visual upgrade of the lot.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
stims and the evacuation just doesn't feel right without the firebats. I like to think they can still lift up their face mask from time to time to chain smoke like back in the good old days.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Scale in RTS games has always been pretty wacky when you start comparing vehicles, infantry, and buildings. It's pretty silly when you can cram 4 human footmen into a transport ship smaller than they are.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Stims and Smash and Grab

We should see the third faction in the game for those people who are new to it all.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I wouldn't make any bets that you will actually get to the Zerg campaign. Explain stuff now, while you have the chance.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So can someone explain that creeping purple that spread all over the map?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

RareAcumen posted:

http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Creep

Quite an appropriate word choice.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

RareAcumen posted:

Zerg-infested ground that is needed for Zerg structures to be built and greatly increases Zerg movement speed and regeneration rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ha! Didn't expect that!

my dad posted:

Zerg-infested ground that is needed for Zerg structures to be built and greatly increases Zerg movement speed and regeneration rate.

Wow, no wonder they spread so fast.

• Locked thread