Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Well that was kind of what made Tassadar so impressive, he could wield both and used them to kill the first Overmind.

The Archons in SC2 were originally named Twilight Archons and had the Feedback ability that High Templar have now, they were changed early in the WOL Beta to just be Archons and only have their main attack like in SC2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
We'll probably get Twilight/Dark Archons in the LotV campaign even if they don't ever have them in MP, same as we can potentially get Lurkers back in HotS.

We'll get to hear more about how awesome Tassadar-kun was during Zeratul's missions.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

Zebrin posted:

I am thinking about this way too much...
I know the feels buddy. I once spent an entire afternoon figuring out ways to implement decking into the Shadowrun game back before it was released. These kinds of thought exercises are fun.

Also, is there a Brood Wars LP I can watch somewhere? I know exactly nothing about the events that happened in it, and it sounds like they were semi-important.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Veyrall posted:

I know the feels buddy. I once spent an entire afternoon figuring out ways to implement decking into the Shadowrun game back before it was released. These kinds of thought exercises are fun.

Also, is there a Brood Wars LP I can watch somewhere? I know exactly nothing about the events that happened in it, and it sounds like they were semi-important.

A bunch of guys come from Earth and try to create a new Overmind by combining most of the Cerebrates together, Kerrigan teams up with and then brutally betrays basically everyone besides them because she's queen bitch of the loving universe, the Earth guys get their poo poo stomped and their new Overmind gets killed dead. There's also a dude who claims to be working for the Xel'Naga despite them being ostensibly extinct.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Suspect Bucket posted:

Actually, on second thought, a lot of the terran vehicle designs in Starcraft seemed to have the "Can be drawn by a bored 6th Grader on All Notebooks" requirement.

If you look at some of Metzen's art in the Starcraft manual you'll find this is essentially accurate, yes.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Feinne posted:

A bunch of guys come from Earth and try to create a new Overmind by combining most of the Cerebrates together, Kerrigan teams up with and then brutally betrays basically everyone besides them because she's queen bitch of the loving universe, the Earth guys get their poo poo stomped and their new Overmind gets killed dead. There's also a dude who claims to be working for the Xel'Naga despite them being ostensibly extinct.

The Cerebrates combined on their own. The Earth guys just drugged the infant Overmind to hell and back and used it to take control over most of the Zerg. (And boy do they brag about it) They probably would have won if their incompetent leader didn't have the only guy with the guts and brains to confront him about his fuckups shot.

Also, the Protoss use a superweapon to murder every Zerg on Shakuras and never mention it again.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Psion posted:

If you look at some of Metzen's art in the Starcraft manual you'll find this is essentially accurate, yes.

He's like space-Johnny Fiveaces

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Veyrall posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2EC8D4TNL4

This is a nice bridge between being almost as in-depth as an LP while still keeping things to their bulletpoints. It focuses primarily on Raynor, Kerrigan, and Zeratul--so it will hit the parts of the story that are most relevant to SC2. It does completely avoid Raynor's friendship with the Protoss, the end of pre-expansion SC1, and the ending of Brood War, but it is good for how short it is, I think.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Synastren posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2EC8D4TNL4

This is a nice bridge between being almost as in-depth as an LP while still keeping things to their bulletpoints. It focuses primarily on Raynor, Kerrigan, and Zeratul--so it will hit the parts of the story that are most relevant to SC2. It does completely avoid Raynor's friendship with the Protoss, the end of pre-expansion SC1, and the ending of Brood War, but it is good for how short it is, I think.

It's rather misleading as far as the story goes. Is this what the SC story regarding those 3 has been retconned to?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

The Casualty posted:

Just as we discussed Zeratul being super anime, Raynor being "literally space Johnny Fiveaces" is a pretty accurate statement. If you could have somehow gotten the Zybourne Clock to Metzen that game would exist because he'd be all over it.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

The Casualty posted:

:aaa:

how did I not put those together? holy poo poo.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

my dad posted:

It's rather misleading as far as the story goes. Is this what the SC story regarding those 3 has been retconned to?

Yes, basically.

I thought it would be better to highlight the relevant parts that Blizzard acknowledged rather than the story as a whole. :v:

ed: If you want a longer, more comprehensive (like, longer than an hour) summary of StarCraft, this guy has a ten-part series that tries to summarize SC1 and BW.

Synastren fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 17, 2014

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Psion posted:

I photocopied that in the teachers lounge when running a TOTALY LEGIT ERRAND FOR A TEACHER and taped it to my spanish notebook. I thought I was such a badass.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Synastren posted:

ed: If you want a longer, more comprehensive (like, longer than an hour) summary of StarCraft, this guy has a ten-part series that tries to summarize SC1 and BW.

Oh, hey, it includes that amazing "First Contact" fan video. I remember having a short chat on Youtube with the creator. Incredibly talented guy, I think he's Romanian? Anyway, he made the entire video alone, and Tassadar's voice actor liked it so much that he recorded Tassadar's lines for free.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

my dad posted:

Oh, hey, it includes that amazing "First Contact" fan video. I remember having a short chat on Youtube with the creator. Incredibly talented guy, I think he's Romanian? Anyway, he made the entire video alone, and Tassadar's voice actor liked it so much that he recorded Tassadar's lines for free.

Michael Gough (who was Tassadar's voice actor in original Starcraft) always struck me as a pretty cool guy given he went along with the Deckard Cain Rap for Diablo 2 (yes, Michael Gough is also Deckard Cain).

So since Tassadar is Protoss Jesus and is in the credits I don't think it's a terrible spoiler to say we'll hear him talk in some form or fashion during one of Wings of Liberty and Heart of the Swarm and will mention he's now voiced by Michael Dorn. I suspect for largely the same reason someone we'll meet a bit down the road in Wings is voiced by Armin Shimerman.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

Synastren posted:

Yes, basically.

I thought it would be better to highlight the relevant parts that Blizzard acknowledged rather than the story as a whole. :v:

Even watching that summary I still don't understand why Mengsk abandoned Kerrigan to the zerg. Was the fleet in danger of getting pinned down? Did he think Kerrigan was getting too willful and ditched her to prevent a later power struggle? It just seems like ridiculous mustache twirling own-foot-shooting villainy to kill your own best agents like that.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Crigit posted:

Even watching that summary I still don't understand why Mengsk abandoned Kerrigan to the zerg. Was the fleet in danger of getting pinned down? Did he think Kerrigan was getting too willful and ditched her to prevent a later power struggle? It just seems like ridiculous mustache twirling own-foot-shooting villainy to kill your own best agents like that.
Maybe he was just angling to kill anyone who had detailed knowledge regarding his rise to power? All Stalin-style.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

JT Jag posted:

Maybe he was just angling to kill anyone who had detailed knowledge regarding his rise to power? All Stalin-style.

Kerrigan was one of the Ghosts who killed his father. Yes, really. No, it's never mentioned in the games.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Or probably an extraction attempt would've been in vain and Mengsk marked it as acceptable losses. Because he's a dick that way. Or whatever Cyth said, whatever.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Yeah, I think it was all part of his effort to cover up his own role in the destruction of Tarsonis. He probably didn't count on any of the few people who knew about what was going on caring that he'd left her to die.

Cythereal posted:

Kerrigan was one of the Ghosts who killed his father. Yes, really. No, it's never mentioned in the games.

Yeah that too. Mengsk is not a forgive and forget kind of guy after all.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

Let's get naut'y.

Cythereal posted:

Wait, what? Didn't he personally rescue her from some weird experiment investigating human/zerg psionic interactions when she was a child or something? How long do humans live in the starcraft universe?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Crigit posted:

Wait, what? Didn't he personally rescue her from some weird experiment investigating human/zerg psionic interactions when she was a child or something? How long do humans live in the starcraft universe?

She was 16 when she killed Mengsk's father, having been forcibly recruited to the Ghost program eight years prior and tortured into compliance.

At some point after that she was the only survivor of a Confederate experiment involving using psionics to control Zerg and Mengsk 'rescued' her from the facility. He used her to get revenge on the other ghosts who'd been involved in the attack on his family and then claimed that he'd forgiven her, which given it's Arcturus Mengsk and he's physically incapable of being truthful was clearly a lie.

It should also be noted that for much of this process her memories of what had happened were fragmentary at best because of all the crazy hosed up stuff the Confederacy had done to her. She actually never really recovers from it while she's human, shortly after being infested she learns what was done and is able to repair it.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 17, 2014

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

Let's get naut'y.

Feinne posted:

She was 16 when she killed Mengsk's father, having been forcibly recruited to the Ghost program eight years prior and tortured into compliance.

That is a very Blizzard backstory. Also, pretty hosed up to hold Kerrigan responsible for that.

edit: ^^^^^ Ah, the details you added with your edit sort out the situation pretty nicely. Thanks, the situation makes sense to me now.

Crigit fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 17, 2014

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Crigit posted:

That is a very Blizzard backstory. Also, pretty hosed up to hold Kerrigan responsible for that.
Mengsk is a hosed up rear end in a top hat, what else is new.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

DFlux posted:

My Name is Kaz went through SC1 and Broodwar on his twitch channel so if you wanna know what goes on in the 1st two games you can watch that. http://www.twitch.tv/kazeugma/profile/pastBroadcasts

I've been slowly watching through these and yeah...... It took until New Gettysburg, Terran mission 9/10, until Kaz considered not massing Marines and marching them across the map. Where I'm at in the video, he decided to keep building almost exclusively marines and is doing pretty well. I guess the OP was 100% right about SC1 missions being pretty boring and easy

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I miss Duke. He was a great "Who the hell put this dumb hick in charge?" character.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Feinne posted:

We'll probably get Twilight/Dark Archons in the LotV campaign even if they don't ever have them in MP, same as we can potentially get Lurkers back in HotS.

We'll get to hear more about how awesome Tassadar-kun was during Zeratul's missions.

Lurkers were completely built and included in WoL, but never came up. I did a lot of custom map wankery (had a menagerie of awesome units), and saw Lurkers in the unit options. They were a little wooden but otherwise fully featured.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

he meant 'potentially' as in they're one of the units you could get in the single player campaign.

Lurkers were a pretty iconic unit in Brood War, they got pulled late in WOL's development.

I don't think blizzard has any problem with leaving finished material in the builder that they've removed for balance/multiplayer reasons, like the Tauren marines or the Hydralisk in WC3, according to the SCwiki, Twilight Archons didn't make it much out of the planning phases before they became their current incarnation.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Psion posted:

Note how he's got a scorpion decal on the back? And he's got a cool bike, which makes him rad!

Wait... rad? scorpion? nuclear radiation decals? Fallout!

Also he's clearly driving a swoop bike.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Metzen Ninety-Seven

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Feinne posted:

At some point after that she was the only survivor of a Confederate experiment involving using psionics to control Zerg and Mengsk 'rescued' her from the facility. He used her to get revenge on the other ghosts who'd been involved in the attack on his family and then claimed that he'd forgiven her, which given it's Arcturus Mengsk and he's physically incapable of being truthful was clearly a lie.

It should also be noted that for much of this process her memories of what had happened were fragmentary at best because of all the crazy hosed up stuff the Confederacy had done to her. She actually never really recovers from it while she's human, shortly after being infested she learns what was done and is able to repair it.
Seriously Metzen? You just had to go the Star Wars EU path and have everyone be interconnected with each other in one way or another despite the plot being set in an entire loving starsector...

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

Sylphosaurus posted:

Seriously Metzen? You just had to go the Star Wars EU path and have everyone be interconnected with each other in one way or another despite the plot being set in an entire loving starsector...

I don't know, that's a connection that I can buy. Mengsk trying to find out who killed his father, eventually finding one of them, a confused young woman who he manipulates into helping him. It's nowhere near SW levels of dumb. In fact, it's not a dominant cliché, so I'm having a hard time accepting that Metzen wrote it.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Sylphosaurus posted:

If it were truely Star Wars style, it would have been one of Kerrigan's parents who assassinated Mengsk's father... and Kerrigan wouldn't know of her parent's dark past!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Synastren posted:

If it were truely Star Wars style, it would have been one of Kerrigan's parents who assassinated Mengsk's father... and Kerrigan wouldn't know of her parent's dark past!
But that way Kerrigan wouldn't be as corrupted. This way she was double corrupted in her backstory!

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

The best you can say about Metzen is that he's played slightly with the plot of WoW by having a guy who's just always been an rear end in a top hat as the most recent major villain.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Feinne posted:

The best you can say about Metzen is that he's played slightly with the plot of WoW by having a guy who's just always been an rear end in a top hat as the most recent major villain.

Mengsk fits that category as well, really. No secret corruption, no grand evil, just a power-hungry rear end in a top hat.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Well, he started off as a whiny suicidal nobody who thought his father was a monster. Then we showed him that while his father was a monster, he made large strides towards redeeming himself and his race from their past sins and became a Hero in death.

Of course he's got the attention span of a kumquat and at some point forgot about the "Honor, in all things, never forsake it" part and short circuited the his logic to "POWER = HEROISM" and proceeded to turn half his race into horrifying tentacled monstrosities but it wasn't Demons so it's okay.

Calax posted:

Only after trying to force him to become the leader of a faction. Felt like he was pushed so hard into that role, that the audience wasn't having any of it, so he backed off and made him evil (while saying "we always meant him to become evil!")

Not to turn this into WoW Chat but this is mostly true. The issue is that his 'descent into evil' has been punctuated by him nuking an alliance city into radioactive magic vapor and loving up an entire continents ecosystem for the next hundred years at least. There's a big long quest line where you find out all this shady poo poo he's done and people he's murdered and when you bring it to light they're just like "Well yeah he's evil but he's the warchief now whatya gonna do :shrug:" When the alliance finally stormed into Orgrimmar and forcibly dethroned him they showed their might to the world by... imprisoning him and giving the city back to the Orcs.

Thrall's magical girl wedding was already a bit over the top but I think even the Horde players are getting tired of Metzin's unsatiable orc-lust, considering we've got an expansion where the plot is 'Once again Garrosh escapes the consequences of his actions and makes an even better horde for you to fight us to gush lore about for the next two years.'

Basically Metzen loves his themes of corruption and redemption and will defy all logic and reason to ensure they get to play out, he also loves Orcs.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 18, 2014

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Feinne posted:

Only after trying to force him to become the leader of a faction. Felt like he was pushed so hard into that role, that the audience wasn't having any of it, so he backed off and made him evil (while saying "we always meant him to become evil!")

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh hey Episode eight is still unlisted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
I have actually no idea what the gently caress you're even talking about.

So, is this LP going to cover Heart of the Swarm? I can't remember if it's already been mentioned.

• Locked thread