Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
The single player for this game is really good, the expansion only improves on it. My only real complaint with this game is that there are a lot of upgrades that aren't really all that good, and they're all ridiculously expensive. Meaning you could screw yourself out of some really good upgrades on end game units because you spent money on something not so good earlier in the game.

I'm looking at you Vultures and Wraiths, I'm in no mood to play through the game a fourth and fifth time to get the vehicle/airship achievements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Nah, no one's mentioned CORRUPTION yet, so it's go a ways to go.

Fortunately Metzen adds a new word to his vocabulary by HotS, unfortunately he uses it a lot.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Feinne posted:

Yeah, there are, um, reasons to believe those events might not be entirely canon.

No, it's canon, it's just another character intervenes that we can't talk about right now.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

InfinityComplex posted:

I say stimpacks and smash and grab.
This.

Might as well get the M/M/M combo going early, and Mauraders are never bad.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Poil posted:

Since all infantry except marines require you to build a tech lab anyway it's just a waste of money to research it in my opinion. But drowning the zerg in a tide of bodies sounds like an awesome plan however.

Plus there's an upgrade later in the game that completely invalidates AMF and I would be amazed if we didn't buy it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Most of the campaign only returning units bar the Medic and one other have been supplanted by better, if more specialized, versions.

There's only one campaign only unit that I'm actually kind of dissapointed about, it seems so cool but it's too late in the tech tree and way too specialized to be useful in a real game. I still research it every time just for the ridiculousness of it, though.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

As far as the story is concerned, yeah. The zerg are basically all the worst parts of a Zombie Plague, Gray Goo, and the Borg all rolled up into one. They can assimilate anything into their biomass, if they eat something worthwhile they can incorporate it into either an upgrade to one of their existing strains, or a new strain entirely. They can infest humans too, like they did to Kerrigan, and that's one of the least terrifying things they can do once they get a hold of a bunch of humans.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

That's because they are, Reapers are very very good at taking down buildings, especially when massed, and anything that spawns dies because they attack almost as fast as marines do.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The main problem is that no mission can assume you have any units besides the ones from it's pre-reqs. If you heavily skew towards one line or another you can obliterate earlier missions. and if you pursue a particular quest line you can get tons of research before you're actually supposed to have it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The only AI in SC2 that actually gets a resource advantage is the Insane AI, which gets 40% more resources per gather. The other AIs are just intentionally programmed to not play optimally to one degree or another.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

TwoPair posted:

He trained under Batman, why shouldn't he do some science?

Training under batman is no indicator of an aptitude for science.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

U-238 Rounds and Welcome to the Jungle

Star Man posted:

Also, who else misses when reapers could toss bombs at buildings. CERTAINLY NOT THIS PROTOSS PLAYER NOPE NOT ME.

They technically still can, the WoL campaign uses all the pre-expansion stats. This means that void rays are still really good

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The Door Frame posted:

Hellstorm Batteries, Perdition Turret, and Welcome to the Jungle
This

Planetary fortress isn't really worthwhile in the campaign, you rarely need to expand and when you do you've got ample time and resources to defend it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

There's also the episode where a cannon rush fails, the cheeser spells out F U in pylons, and the Terran decides to draw out the death as long as possible by killing him using only planetary fortresses and nukes

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

That's what most high level SC2 games are. If they progress to tier 2 or 3 units it's usually because somebody either turtled hard or screwed up their rush.

e: These are also cheese videos, which are all about using early game units to win quickly while your opponent is unprepared. There are other casters that have longer videos but most of them are varying degrees of "You-Tube Popular".

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Mar 30, 2014

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Ares-Class Targeting System, Ultra-Capacitors, The Dig

I can't remember, how long until The memory Crystal is avaliable those missions give tons of free research if you do them all at once.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Just a note that advanced Medical facilities gets supplanted by one of the protoss research upgrades that has a somewhat lackluster counterpart(at least as far as the campaign is concerned, it would be absurd in multiplayer).

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Oh come now, Kerrigan isn't Sylvannus anymore. She's Jaina :unsmigghh:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Dude, edit that out. He shows up in this game.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

I'm just going to say one thing: Choosing Haven's mission now will permanently lock us out of some dialogue related to Zeratul's missions. If anyone in the thread wants to see everything from the game, hold off on Haven.
This is true.

Seige Breakers, Micro Filtering, and The Great Train Robbery.

With some more Zerg Research we unlock Predators, which are simultaneously the most awesome and worthless unit in the game. They must be shown off.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Right Now, the purge ending makes more sense, it's also more fun. The ending of the game makes it kind of a dickpunch though.

The other non-canon mission is more fun than it's counterpart as well.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Feinne posted:

On the other hand you get the very awesomest unit from the canon one (assuming given what is said in HotS that we don't help that unfriendly lady).

Yeah, the canon path is not helping the unfriendly lady. Which is a pity because the post-battle cutscene is amazing.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Day 9 and Total Biscuit do a thing where they upload as many videos as there should be games, and if it's over in 3 then game 4 and 5 are just a random length of silence.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Speedball posted:

I know they originally proposed the idea of a "twilight archon" that would be a dark templar merging with a khalai templar, and I still wanna see it happen someday. Don't let me down, Legacy of the Void!

Supposedly all Archons are now Twilight Archons, since the Khalai and Nerazim have shared much of their teachings, and can do the Archon morph in any combination of the two.

It just so happens that Twilight Archons have the exact same stats and attacks as regular Archons :v: and in the process the Dark Templar forgot how to make Dark Archons, whoops.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Well that was kind of what made Tassadar so impressive, he could wield both and used them to kill the first Overmind.

The Archons in SC2 were originally named Twilight Archons and had the Feedback ability that High Templar have now, they were changed early in the WOL Beta to just be Archons and only have their main attack like in SC2.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

he meant 'potentially' as in they're one of the units you could get in the single player campaign.

Lurkers were a pretty iconic unit in Brood War, they got pulled late in WOL's development.

I don't think blizzard has any problem with leaving finished material in the builder that they've removed for balance/multiplayer reasons, like the Tauren marines or the Hydralisk in WC3, according to the SCwiki, Twilight Archons didn't make it much out of the planning phases before they became their current incarnation.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Well, he started off as a whiny suicidal nobody who thought his father was a monster. Then we showed him that while his father was a monster, he made large strides towards redeeming himself and his race from their past sins and became a Hero in death.

Of course he's got the attention span of a kumquat and at some point forgot about the "Honor, in all things, never forsake it" part and short circuited the his logic to "POWER = HEROISM" and proceeded to turn half his race into horrifying tentacled monstrosities but it wasn't Demons so it's okay.

Calax posted:

Only after trying to force him to become the leader of a faction. Felt like he was pushed so hard into that role, that the audience wasn't having any of it, so he backed off and made him evil (while saying "we always meant him to become evil!")

Not to turn this into WoW Chat but this is mostly true. The issue is that his 'descent into evil' has been punctuated by him nuking an alliance city into radioactive magic vapor and loving up an entire continents ecosystem for the next hundred years at least. There's a big long quest line where you find out all this shady poo poo he's done and people he's murdered and when you bring it to light they're just like "Well yeah he's evil but he's the warchief now whatya gonna do :shrug:" When the alliance finally stormed into Orgrimmar and forcibly dethroned him they showed their might to the world by... imprisoning him and giving the city back to the Orcs.

Thrall's magical girl wedding was already a bit over the top but I think even the Horde players are getting tired of Metzin's unsatiable orc-lust, considering we've got an expansion where the plot is 'Once again Garrosh escapes the consequences of his actions and makes an even better horde for you to fight us to gush lore about for the next two years.'

Basically Metzen loves his themes of corruption and redemption and will defy all logic and reason to ensure they get to play out, he also loves Orcs.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 18, 2014

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Ultra Capacitors are basically the 'make damaging things deal more damage' research option. There's a research option that creates a unit that can repair mech units from the air, and a research option that makes mech units self-heal, but that's it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Tech reactors from the protoss tree. Make two siege tanks from a factory at a time. Also, hercules dropships for ferrying mech armies around.

But the alternative to Hercules Dropships is Predators, and dropships are really not all that great in campaign outside of the missions where you're spoon fed them.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, unfortunately predators aren't that great, but they're unique to the campaign and I want to see if Raldan can actually use them as something other than "Strictly worse than ultralisks in every way"

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Oooh, get that. More Protoss research.

It's the top tier of Protoss research, we'll get there soon enough.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

They do in the HOTS Campaign, which might be why people are confused. But a lot of things happen in the HOTS campaign that don't in the regular game.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I can't remember the exact numbers, but most of the people who bought Starcraft 2 played through the single player campaign and never touched multiplayer. Single Player is also where they can give you blatantly unbalanced things and not have to worry about it.

If the Terrans had the Hercules in multiplayer, you'd see a lot more Terrans winning.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Predator, Breakout, Help Tosh, Save for Specter Upgrades

Will you be showing the alternate path? The Post Nova cutscene is pretty amazing.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Synastren posted:

You are already a better co-commentator than I.

I think we're probably going to do all of the missions (including where there are decision points), but those alternative choices will be bonus videos.

There is a fantastic cutscene if you help Nova. Honestly, though, I have no idea how good Spectres are, as I have only beaten this game once, and I was pretty bad when I did that. :v:

Yeah, specters are much better than ghosts, but the Nova mission pretty fun and the cut scene after it is amazing.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Zebrin posted:

Dual Fusion Welders

I would suggest against this for the same reason as advanced medic facilities. If we're going mech heavy there'll be something much better later on.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Helping Tosh is the Canon answer because Jimmy's still operating in "Do whatever I have to to gently caress over Mengsk the most" mode. Even if helping Nova makes more sense.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, he seems fairly aware of exactly what it is, since they don't look very much like Zerg he's basically saying "what the hell are these things doing here?"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

They're photosynthetic and absorb water through their skin.

No really.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Malestrom Rounds
Psionic Lash
Regenerative Bio-Steel
Automated Extractors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

If you're going super mech-heavy auto refineries also allow you to just plop a refinery down on an out-of-the-way geyser that you have no intention of actually putting a base on yet, and start reaping the benefits of increased gas income.

• Locked thread