Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Shifty Pony posted:

experimental outline:

title: crypto-stupidity exploration

purpose: to determine if bitcoin's detractors are exaggerating the propensity of bitcoiners to get scammed

hypothosis: if exposed to an obvious scam, bitcoiners will still fall for it

procedure: create blatant ponzi scheme where returns are clearly being paid out of latest "investor". wait.

measurements: received in excess of $130k worth of "investments" in less than four days.

conclusions: hypothesis confirmed. bitcoiners are indeed that loving stupid.

now someone do it with a black hole address :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
buttcoin: the colonoscopy just keeps going deeper

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

surebet posted:

probably should mention that magicaltux is mark "i run mtgox" karpeles

as a person who has implemented a barebones smtp server* in php (:suicide:) even i look at this and go 'why would you ever do this'

* it just stores the mail and doesn't actually send it

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
didnt they already store some illegal stuff in the blockchain?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i wonder how long it would take for a program randomly generating wallets to hit one that already has butts in it

there was some site that listed every possible bitcoin wallet (over something like millions of pages) and i got lucky at one point and picked one that had like 0.1btc in it and of course forgot which one it was :downs:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Shifty Pony posted:

it is just a bunch of deep web links i think.

not that that is much better really but it isn't a jpg that could get every bitcoiner arrested or something.

i'd like to believe that anybody serious about putting illegal data in the blockchain would be able to find something illegal but not morally objectionable into it

maybe a big list of windows keys or some poo poo, or some leaked government docs

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

FCKGW posted:

bottom

a good bucket

to poo poo in

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
has mining ever been profitable in the last few months

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

my butts have had plenty of 'movements' today, let me tell you

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

kiwid posted:

the best thing that can happen is that this gets below $100 and then suddenly opens up, crashing the other exchanges, right?

the best thing that could happen is the fed steps in and busts coinbase/bitstamp/btc-e for more laughs

the great gox flush would be great though

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

has he written a buttcoin miner in php yet

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

FMguru posted:

from the grey thread

also 5

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

killhamster posted:

fucker beat me to doing it

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

ryde posted:

Heres the thread where Atlas ineptly attempts to audit the source code: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=118251.0

he should have just added #exclude <bitcoin thieves and other bad things :(> to the source

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

yosponzi

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

double sulk posted:

i'm the metro icon

i'm the fraud

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

my favorite part of these is the realization that the printer has the keys, so they can just sit and wait for these poo poo checks to be funded, and then immediately withdraw it again

bitcoins

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

uncurable mlady posted:

good point. apparently this is a screenshot of the program that was leaked in that zip

i really hope that sql editor lets you put in all kinds of queries. oops i truncated the bitcoin

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

any scam you could think of --
if you build it, bitcoiners will come

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

god the fourms

quote:

Not funny, dude.

quote:

Guy guys guys calm your tits. I have his IP address from some email communications, and I will release it to the public and the police if he does not show any signs of giving back the money. To confirm that this IP address is correct we can also email the admin of bitcointalk and get it from there, plus maybe his real name to also give to the cops.

quote:

I feel so stu.Pid, i deposited 0.8 that was all i have.
I lost 1btc to s.cams nd ponzis nd now probably 0..7 more, i am really done with it!

i still have some hope that it is just a technical pb

quote:

DICK MOVE VORT. IF YOU ARE GOING TO RUN.
the capital letters are each like 5 times as big as the rest

quote:

quote:

vortu is offline lolz and no payouts
poo poo poo poo poo poo

quote:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

also 5

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

stoutfish posted:

this entire thread is quotable so do yourself a favor and just read it instead

we need a laff tracker because the laff production is going up uP UP

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

quote:

Has anybody had a look at the other files in that zip to check for malware? There are pdf and csv files in there that could also contain malware. Is there a chance of being infected with something just by opening such a file?

comma separated virus

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

trucutru posted:

http://toys4btc.net

"Let your bitcoins make you happy"

product-category -> mens-sex-toys -> sex-dolls -> barnyard-animals -> Cathy the mooing cow

:stare:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

TVarmy posted:

The way I understand it, you are hashing a solution that doesn't work for any address. Instead, it hashes a solution that gives a specific address the bitcoins, so it wouldn't just be a matter of rebroadcasting or tweaking the message to take the coins. This is also why people in mining pools can't just hog the entire reward for themselves if their rig happens to get the right number.

It'd need a different hash to pay your address, so if you were to rebroadcast, you'd just be helping the mining pool get their coins confirmed faster.

this begs the question of how a bitcoin mining pool knows that you're contributing to it.

i mean i guess they could have a specific client but what's to stop someone from changing the bitcoin funbux address while still reporting to the pool, or fudging the numbers entirely

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

My Linux Rig posted:

no loving poo poo what do you think i've been doing

gonna be rich you fuckers

from coins to :gas:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

...! posted:

click - gone! That's bitcoin.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
apparently butterfly labs is making GBS threads out something new

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

mr Scoop posted:

what are the odds that this steals private keys and sends them back to bfl? i'm guessing 100%

that implies it ever makes it past the "pre-order today" phase

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Robawesome posted:

Ideally, any retailers accepting bitcoin payments should provide a 1-2% discount to "split the difference" on the CC fees they saved. Of course this isn't worth the hassle for retailers, still involves a tx fee for the customer, and is against the ToS for most CC companies, so no way in hell would retailers give Bitcoin spenders an incentive over Visa.

is this even true? i've heard that it's perfectly acceptable to give a discount to cash customers as long as your posted prices are the cc/debit ones (i.e. it's not tacked on as a "fee"). i see gas stations here do it all the time.

Cantorsdust posted:

this is really the crux of bitcoin's issue, and jimbo nailed it. sending something via credit card also just requires inputting a few numbers and hitting send nowadays, and the laws are established to protect end-users from significant liability. there's already an electronic currency--it's US dollars

the other problems are of course the crushing deflation and 10 minute tx times

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
don't forget you have to pay a transaction fee for a butt tx if you want it processed in that 10 minutes instead of "maybe this year, maybe next" too

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Robawesome posted:

my source is a reddit post from a merchant who said it was against his terms to offer a discount for using other payment providers, presumably stuff like bitcoin.

visa on checkout fees

quote:

Retailers Can Offer a Discount for Cash and Check Purchases

Retailers can encourage their customers to use other forms of payment, such as cash and checks, and can discount for PIN debit and cash and checks.

the more you know

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
the stolen coins are going to be used to revive mt gox obviously

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

surebet posted:

so yeah you can quasi own them and you can sell them, but the same applies to cat turds in the correct context

cash is an asset like cat turds, because they are often buried in the back yard

Dr. Honked posted:

my little pony. bitcoins. same loving thing

given the spread of mlp and bitcoins i'm surprised there is no brony/ponycoin, considering that the worthless doge meme somehow got one

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Cease to Hope posted:

a victimless crime (when he blows up his mail carrier or his loving apartment building)

just imagine if they were sent air-mail and happened to go off mid-flight.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

...! posted:

Selling shovels but not accepting dirt as payment :argh:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

surebet posted:

haha the gun shop just got ditched by bitpay

http://bitcoinmagazine.com/11079/bitpay-dumps-texas-gun-retailer/

"Whether the restrictive provision was present from the beginning or BitPay added it after dropping Central Texas Gunworks is unknown."

https://web.archive.org/web/20130329121347/https://bitpay.com/terms

literally 30 seconds of looking up :cmon:

looks like this post already got deleted, welp

but also from that site, bitcoin is post privledge, pro human rights

quote:

The barriers to entering the Bitcoin economy are lower than getting a bank account or drivers’ license making it an ideal system for the unbanked and impoverished.

good one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

DaTroof posted:

has there ever been an officially sanctioned -tan or is it always something that the organization nervously pretends doesn't exist

windows 8 had one

• Locked thread