Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

I'm the scandalous frappechino bought with embezzled money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

Bitcoin days destroyed went up to an all time high yesterday, showing that old Bitcoins have been moving around after sitting stagnant in wallets.

Maybe Gox's technical issues meant they got hacked or are getting ready to cut and run.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

They submitted an app that only monitored transactions and couldn't send Bitcoin. Then after it was approved, they updated it to send Bitcoin against the tos. They submitted one app, and updated it to a different one.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

Is rule lawyering your way to "invalidating" someone else's argument through tenuous logical fallacies really a good way to make a point?

I feel like the internet has transformed logical fallacies from something that's a bad practice which forms weak arguments into a "I don't have to prove my point anymore" card.

Remember, this is the guy /r/Bitcoin wants to represent Bitcoin on TV and possibly even run the foundation.

Edit: someone dig up that reddit endorsement that said this guy was special because he is an extrovert and used tumblr psychology to explain that Bitcoin has almost no extroverts because they're good at technology, but that made them weak to extroverts who hold panels or give interviews.

TVarmy fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 7, 2014

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

PROJECT NAME: Dubstep: Is it any good?
Observation: Dubstep is on the radio. I guess it means it has double steps or something. I'm not a musicologist.
Hypothesis: I believe Dubstep isn't that good.
Experiment: I will listen to a dubstep song with a good song as a control.
Result: The dubstep song sucked noodles, and the good song was good.
Conclusion: Dubstep isn't that good a genre.

where's my ribbon?

EDIT: Also, I'm the actual money background on a project poopooing fiat.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

To be clear, for Best Buy to accept Bitcoin, they'd need to display a QR code for phones to scan. Something any display that isn't total poo poo could do. Scanning a QR code is only done when sending bitcoins.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

Look, if Wired says it's a disruptive new paradigm, it's above the law.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

If George Washington saw the Federal Reserve, he'd be rolling in his grave!

And if he saw what was happening in Colorado and Washington, he'd be rolling sick blunts.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

To this day, idgi. Why would you spend Bitcoin on a dog dick table when you could instead invest in one of those fake dog dicks you wear over your regular dick?

Or invest in Malatora?

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

What time exactly will we hear Gox explain the technical reasons why they are insolvent?

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

quote:

I went to Hudson Eatery, New York City today and they DO NOT accept Bitcoin anymore.

I'm in New York City right now and wanted to check out some of the place on coinmap.org that accept Bitcoin. I found Hudson Eatery near Central Park. I went there and had some lunch. When I got the bill and asked if I could pay in Bitcoin, the waitress said they didn't accept Bitcoin anymore and only had done so for roughly a week some time in 2013. I'm kind of disappointed, and was wondering what the Bitcoin community as a whole could do to keep coinmap.org and other lists updated. (I googled Hudson Eatery prior to going there to doublecheck, and it didn't seem like they would reject my BTC.)

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1xgqvj/i_went_to_hudson_eatery_new_york_city_today_and/

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

Seriously, Buttcoin, please call out the tech media on this. The fact they're trying to frame this as arbitrary when they're on the record that they cheated the app review is terrible.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

The fact they say Bitcoin is unstoppable but freak out over sane criticism speaks volumes about their confidence in Bitcoin.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

I feel like we kind of got wrapped up in the whole Mt. Gox thing without taking the time to appreciate one guy was saying that he'd stick it to Apple by taking a paperclip and ruining his iPhone's headphone port to get a new iPhone via warranty and repeat it until he was satisfied they were punished enough.

These really are the kind of people that justify the existence of chargebacks.

EDIT:

quote:

goxBTC to BTC - but then I got goxxed (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 8 minutes ago by goxxed_once_again
Background: http://www.reddit.com/r/BitcoinMarkets/comments/1xdl5n/new_trading_market_goxbtcrealbtc/
I, like many others wanted to get out of Mt Gox so I sent a trusted person an "internal transfer" (gox account to gox account) in order to exchange for real BTC.
Except it never arrived...
Have I been goxxed again?

TVarmy fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Feb 10, 2014

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

quote:

Those words by Satoshi Nakamoto (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 7 hours ago by lovebitcoin
If you don’t believe me or don’t get it, I don’t have time to try to convince you, sorry.
The utility of the exchanges made possible by Bitcoin will far exceed the cost of electricity used. Therefore, not having Bitcoin would be the net waste.
It seems like you’re inclined to assume everything is wrong more than is actually so.

I'm the sunk cost fallacy.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

US is capitalized. He's referring to 2.0 of United States of America government.

The Articles of Confederation were the alpha.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

For the record, nobody has given this guy any butts. Not even .00000666 to tag him as a begging parasite so others will know not to give him money.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

Reddit users are accusing Robawesome of being a shill for the NWO/Banksters.

And isn't that what really matters at the end of the day? Showing that these guys are so delusional, they can't understand someone has a different outlook than them?

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

To be fair, this is what AOL's Digital Prophet looks like:

Also, apparently you can get paid for being a digital prophet at AOL.

vvvvv: CORPORATIONS; I will also say sooth for actual money.

TVarmy fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Feb 10, 2014

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

I trust algorithms more than institutions. If we just stuck with the first Bitcoin protocol from Satoshi, none of these bugs would have crept in. The institution The Bitcoin Foundation is at fault, clearly.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

The upshot is there weren't many buy orders and someone sold a ton of Bitcoin at once, pushing it super low. No glitch. Just a tiny market.

For a "currency," Bitcoin is a very small market.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

if nobody can understand transactions because people are loving with them, that's kind of like anonymity if you squint.

this is good for bitcoin.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

It's like the currency/commodity/payment system question.

They'll answer based on what sounds most appealing at the time.

I think the idea is small amounts of BTC are okay with just high network propagation and no confirmations, but that big sales need at least one, preferably multiple, confirmations.

Keep in mind even the propagation is pretty weak with insufficient fees.

EDIT: To be clear, it's less marketable if you promote the secure, recommended practices.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/aantonop/status/433080081179611136

In charge of security for Blockchain.info. :allears:

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

Two weeks later:

I can confirm he blocked me. I don't think I was that trollish.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

I'm pretty sure dust transactions don't lock up your wallet. It's like how your charges on your debit card are pending until they clear.

What it does do is bloat the blockchain and cause a bunch of concern. It's about 1/5th of the posts on /r/Bitcoin's "new" feed.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

Well, I guess Bitcoin ATMs would be handy in that you're swapping a credit card that might require making a tedious phone call to the bank to let them know you are traveling for a currency that's equally hard to spend in every country.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

His twitter photo feed is a gem.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

So it's basically the Tiny Tigers Business now?

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

I love how the Bitcoin developers are downplaying this by saying they can think of 10 worse bugs to fix.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

Put a bluray encryption key or pirated windows XP key in there so it's illegal.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

His twitter is amazingly double speakish today.

Don't tell him though, as he'll block you from retweeting him.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

His followers call themselves true believers unironically. Faith is a big value in secular libertarian circles.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

Said two days ago as the price was already free falling to try to defy reality. Then Gox released their story.

:getin:

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

So are they saying collusion is a good thing or a bad thing?

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

Double spending isn't happening, at least not in a permanent way. It's something waiting an hour will work out, which is slow but doable.

What's happened is that Bitcoin has a glitch where you can make a transaction's id show the transaction didn't happen, while having the transaction actually occur on another id. The two parties change funds properly, still. It just looks like the transaction failed at a glance.

Gox apparently was sending people Bitcoin twice without checking when people did this glitch, and apparently a lot of other exchanges, too.

This part I'm less clear on: now that it's well known, people are doing it with dust transactions which is bloating the blockchain and causing some clients to mess up. The upshot is that this gox press release inspired a ddos.

If this leads to a crisis in faith re: exchanges, this means people will use localbitcoins more. And Bitcoin will have even less clear of a price.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

i'm the misplaced apostrophe in the currency of the future's press release.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

Make the computers coin operated. Fiat coin operated.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

Bitcoin is antifragile as they scared away all the rational actors who sell in response to evidence Bitcoin won't go up uP UP, leaving true believers who will hold and create weak rallies out of super-tiny volumes that disappear if one guy sells several thousand BTC at once and push the exchange down to $100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

The best thing is whatever Gox does will hurt Bitcoin.

If they close up shop, and fail to give proper funds to the Bitcoiners, they're a huge hit to the idea of unregulated exchanges.

If they start working again and let customers take out Bitcoin, the arbitrage will be huge and drag the other exchanges down to Gox's price.

• Locked thread