Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

$40 per tag, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Please donate (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 19 seconds ago by ElphGod

I recently lost my job and my wife left me 1 month prior. She took the house and now we're fighting over custody for the kids. I have no source of income and I'm in deep need of money. I found out about Bitcoin a few days ago from a website I was browsing at. Please donate, i just need some money to get back on my feet. 15arVmUABSQ25eCstR8pz3aSzmiHAA8mC3 This is my address, i appreciate all donations.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

lmao $776

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Where did the post calling to destroy iPhones in return for a new nexus 5 disappear to? (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 1 hour ago by giladio_0

A few seconds ago, that post hit over 2,600 votes I think.. and now it's gone. I want to send it to friends at techcrunch so our frustration will make waves outside of this subreddit. Does anyone know how come it vanished?

[–]judah_mu 20 points 1 hour ago

Site admin removed it for violation of vote policy.

[–]Lynxes_are_Ninjas 2 points 28 minutes ago

That was an overreaction imo. Especially banning the user.

They should have simply renamed the title or something.

[–]NIQ702 2 points 7 minutes ago

Cheating or attempting to manipulate voting will result in your account being banned. Don't do it.

[–]muyuu 1 point 3 minutes ago

Well, gently caress. I hope he could redeem the $30 I tipped to that account.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7z2WFcEw5Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfodAaOrpvs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OBfvXIHvDc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4Tmg2eV9fg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi51FGkSu5E

and the guy got banned so he won't be paying anybody

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

[–]murclock 16 points 4 hours ago*

This is crazy. Bitcoin isn't a threat to Apple. They should embrace it and the new technology it represents! They can make a lot more money just using it rather than competing with it.

If they want to launch iMoney, then they should do it! They can launch it as a proof of stake coin, with 100% of the coins owned by them to start, then build an exchange where you can buy it with fiat money or bitcoin or any other cryptocurrency. They can promote using iMoney to pay for things in iTunes and the App Store. They can accept bitcoin too and simply offer things at a discount if you use iMoney.

There will be so much liquidity in the cryptocurrency markets in the days, months, and years ahead that it will only help increase the value of their iMoney tokens. They have all the infrastructure and resources to create the tools that can bring all cryptocurrencies main stream.

I just don't understand how all the smart people at Apple can't see the big picture here.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuQZTAJ2KLk

Well, I drove 45 miles out in the cold and sleet to blow up my anti bitcoin iPhone for a Nexus 5 Here ya go! (youtube.com)

submitted 16 minutes ago by dieselgeek

[–]yonkfu 1 point 12 minutes ago

Hahaha. Take that apple

[–]unfit_bagel 1 point 10 minutes ago

pretty hardcore, will you buy another phone ?

[–]dieselgeek[S] 4 points 8 minutes ago

I'm supposed to get a Nexus 5 for doing it.

[–]cointologist 1 point 2 minutes ago

Uh oh.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

I wrote an email to Apple about the bitcoin apps being banned and here's what they said back (24.media.tumblr.com)

submitted 11 minutes ago by czr5014

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA8m0JOoNYQ

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

StopMakingSense posted:

Whoa Gox is about to dip below the other exchanges.

and btc-e and bitstamp are both $50 down from two days ago

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

LOTS of negativity and DOOM built into bit coin's price again. (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 59 minutes ago by Libertymark

russia apple gox

etc

and NONE of those things matter

the spark of anarchy and central bank independence has begun

I am excited.....very

that you are all here

the very fact they continue to attack PROVES the value. they are SCARED that tech like this will infringe on their little sandbox.

well guess what, its OUR SANDBOX

we are HUMAN BEINGS god dammit, not SLAVES

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

double sulk posted:

is gox still in freefall

e: apparently not

BTC-E and bitstamp are both falling pretty consistently right now. Butts are gonna be sub-$700 by the end of the day

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Is there a way to e-mail my feelings about Apple's decision to remove the Bitcoin app to Apple? (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 35 minutes ago by donniesf

I'm quite distressed about it. And I've spent a great deal of time searching for an easy contact e-mail address.

They can work people to death in sweatshops, totally corner the market with shady tactics against their competitors, but don't mess with my bitcoin...

[–]tomuchfun 2 points 24 minutes ago

I own an iphone, this is how I will voice my opinion, I will never buy another iPhone from apple again, if a want one ill hop on craigslist, buy one, then gently caress the headphone jack up and take it in on warranty to get a new one, but honestly I'll probably be switching to team android over this. And its not just because of the blockchain app, its their lack of any and all crypto apps, I'm waiting for the day my ticker is no longer available.

[–]donniesf[S] 1 point 22 minutes ago

yeah, i'm seriously disgruntled right now. that is seriously concerning that they are trying to cut the heads off of innovating new ideas that can revolutionize the world because they think they can get a little profit out of it.

[–]tomuchfun 1 point 13 minutes ago

I only see them losing profit. Apple has some serious problems without Jobs. When Jobs was with us everyone was quite all right with using their devices the way apple says they should, now everyone bitches but still uses the product because they have for 5 years(me included) it's going to suck the day I go to team android, but I loce watching that over priced apple stock tank.

quote:

Apple Inc.
NASDAQ: AAPL - Feb 7 11:05 AM ET
518.46+5.95 (+1.16%)

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

law-enforcement agencies “will step up efforts to identify the potential recipients of Bitcoins in Russia.” (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 6 minutes ago* by GdUDnThatAnthony

There seems to be some confusion about the news out of Russia regarding Bitcoin. As usual, this is GOOD for bitcoin. I don't see why anyone thinks this is bad. Without Bitcoin, the Russian government will fail within a year. Soon anyone without bitcoins will die of starvation.

http://rbth.ru/news/2014/02/07/russia_steps_up_crackdown_against_bitcoin_payments_33967.html

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Bitcoin Is Crashing -- Again - Huffington Post

The price of Bitcoin fell from a high of $827 this week to $619 last night, shaving off 25 percent of its value before ticking back above $700 on Friday morning.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

I'm loving all the "what if Mt.Gox never releases my butts/USD" as if they have any recourse whatsoever

Free Market bitches

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJEddaJrdB0

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

cue hundreds of angry bitcoiners calling this unfair without even bothering to acknowledge the reasons Blockchain was removed

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Millennius suspends iPhone sales in protest of Apple's removal of the last Bitcoin wallet App

MELBOURNE: FRIDAY, February 7, 2014 – Leading Australian online consumer electronics retailer Millennius says it will suspend selling all iPhone 4, 4s, 5, 5c and 5s, effective immediately to protest against Apple removing the blockchain.info app (the only remaining bitcoin wallet app) from its App store.

The app removal is seen by many as an anti-competitive move by Apple, and continues to alienate its core users who once saw Apple as a visionary company that promotes futurism. More than 120,000 iPhone users are affected by the Blockchain blacklisting.

“Apple seems to have betrayed its own ideals, and those who believed in the brand,” said Millennius founder Pierre Boutros.

“Millennius has decided to suspend sales of the current versions of the iPhone until Bitcoin wallets allowed are back on the Apple app store,” Mr Boutros said.

Millennius’ existing iPhone stock will be kept to continue servicing warrantees and replacements for past purchases.

“We hope that other iPhone retailers who accept Bitcoins such as Overstock can also apply the necessary pressure to Apple in reversing their decision.” Mr Boutros said.

“Although this will most likely impact our bottom line, we want to do our bit to help amplify the disappointment expressed by the cryptocurrency community.”

This has not come lightly as Millennius Bitcoin sales data (http://www.millennius.com/M.pdf) released earlier in the week shows phones are the highest selling category, with phones being over 53% of products sold for customers paying via Bitcoins.

“This has only been done in response to Apple as it has so poorly communicated its reasons for such a decision,” Boutros said.

“We can only see the decision as hostile towards the Bitcoin ecosystem, and therefore need to take action just like those in the community who have made their switch away from iPhones.”

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

why was it removed?

Heresiarch beat me to it, but this was the submitted version:

and this is how it looked before being taken down:

So they changed it from a watch-only service to one that can send and receive money...and then endlessly whine that the decision to remove it was arbitrary

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Werthog 95 posted:

so has anybody figured out where bitpay gets their cash from yet?

nope

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Heresiarch posted:

i know, but he's really popular with bitcoiners

I was going to mention this. That guy is like the Bitcoin Jesus to redditors.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Cryptoforcoins.com is a scam (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 2 minutes ago by Caad10

I decided to try out cryptoforcoins.com aka crytpoforcards.com, which is a trade your starbucks gift card in exchange for bitcoin site, and they stole my $12 starbucks balance.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Sell your AAPL shares and reinvest in bitcoin or something else. (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 17 minutes ago by tharlam

and if you own a shop that sells Apple products, boycott them.

[–]millsdmb 3 points 8 minutes ago

you should sell your apple shares anyways, cuz its a pos junker.

[–]tomuchfun 1 point 2 minutes ago

Never buy an apple product again! And If ypu own one(that is under warranty) jam the connectors inside the headphone jack with a needle and bring it back and get a new device under your warranty(i've done it atleast 10 times and never had a problem with them not believing me) gently caress them make them waste their money!!!

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

JawnV6 posted:

the most successful retailer in history. yes, surely they ill feel the burn of my corner store refusing to carry their products

Some mite-sized Australian telecom stopped selling Apple phones until Apple reinstated the Blockchain app. I hope Apple just stops letting them sell their phones altogether

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Dex posted:

[–]XSSpants 1 point 20 minutes ago
Bitcoin could really do with an FDIC-like entity.

how can people be this stupid

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

so i just realized you don't even need an email to post at reddit, shitposting made easy

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

BEWARE: Tigerdirect and bitcoins (self.BitcoinMining)

submitted 40 minutes ago by d6ftRgNz

I don't know where to post this. r/bitcoin is more for companies starting to accept bitcoins and bitcoin news than anything else.

This is the account of the story as best as I can remember. Left out large amounts of time I spend on hold.

Story: The first day Tigerdirect accpeted bitcoins I placed an order using bitcoins. I haven't used my Tigerdirect account for a number of years, so I unknowingly placed an order with the wrong shipping address (billing is not needed as bitcoins were used).

After I had received order confirmation through email, I realized shipping address was wrong. I called customer service and asked if they can change shipping address to the right address. They stated they cannot do that.

So I asked if I canceled the order, would I get my bitcoins back. They stated I would get my bitcoins back within 24 hours. So I had the order canceled and reordered through the website with correct shipping info.

3 days later bitcoins still not returned, so I called customer service again and they stated that they do not return bitcoins but the refund would be in the form of a gift card, according to their website. I explained to them that I was told I would get the bitcoins back and I would not have canceled the order if I was going to get a gift card and I would have just arranged pickup of product with current resident.

Transferred to manager and restated my dilemma and they again told me the gift card solution. Then the manager said the transaction of bitcoins never took place as they did not receive payment from Bitpay. I assured him that the bitcoins were removed from my account and the manager then said the bitcoins would be returned to my account in 5 business days.

After the 5 business days and no bitcoins in my account, I again called and another manager said they were working on it. A particular customer service agent called me back asking for my contact info and a screenshot of the transaction of the bitcoins that were taken out. They then said they would work on the resolution of this.

After a few days I emailed this particular agent with no response after a day. I then called and left a message with no response after a few days.

Today I called customer service and was told to call corporate regarding this issue. Called corporate, got transferred to a manager, put on hold, then disconnected. Called corporate again and they said this issue is a customer service issue and was told to call customer service.

Called customer service again and was put on hold then told a gift card is the only resolution. I gave in as it has been 3 weeks and no resolution. The gift card would not be for the amount of merchandize but would be in the amount of the current exchange rate (who knows which exchange rate they use) of bitcoins to USD.

Currently the price of bitcoins is down because of MtGox closure.

tl;dr: made shipping address error on order purchased by bitcoins, canceled order being assured bitcoins would be returned, after various calls and large amounts of time on hold and dealing with customer service that seemingly did not want to deal with this situation, I am getting a gift card refund reflecting the current btc exchange rate which has taken a hit today.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

[–]btctothemoon 14 points 3 hours ago

Good voice acting. Good production value. Good message. Bravo!!!

[–]4Gman[S] 7 points 2 hours ago

Thanks! The VO was by Steve Jobs from this ad

[–]btctothemoon 5 points 1 hour ago

Aha! That makes it even better, in an ironic sort of way. :)

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

My Coinbase account was drained too. I had 2FA enabled. I think something is up here. (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 55 seconds ago by jordanmills[🍰]

Last week I woke up at the buttcrack of dawn to emails coming in saying that I'd made a transfer, a purchase, a transfer, etc. I replied that it wasn't authorized, reset my password, all that, but of course it was too late to stop anything. This is within a couple of days of a purchase being deposited (the due date of which kept getting extended...), before I had a chance to transfer it to a cold wallet. My first emails were ignored. I figured out where the ticket system was stuck on the site, created a ticket, and got a reply hours later.

We went back and forth for a while. First they said that I must have entered my credentials on a phishing site (unlikely since I use bookmarks and manually verify the SSL cert before entering anything) and that "an attacker was able to bypass your 2-factor security" (wat?).

Then they said that my email must have been compromised, not their problem, too bad (unlikely, since that account is on a password rotation, also has 2FA, and it showed no signs of compromise). Also, I never got password reset emails from then (I did get one, about a week before, which I ignored per the instructions - it didn't seem to have been reset then since I was still able to use the site).

I had set up 2FA with the app on an old phone that had no sim card and had wireless disabled - with the battery removed unless I was actually using it. It is VERY unlikely that it was compromised.

Coinbase piddled around with all that for a few days. I expressed willingness to not discuss it publicly to reduce knowledge of a potential exploit.

Finally they came back and said that the attacker got a 2FA code from the phone number I originally set the account up with. Since it was a google voice number and accessible from the internet, they wouldn't cover anything. The GV number is a separate email account, separate password, separate rotation schedule, and had been disabled for 2FA on my Coinbase account. Apparently the attacker was able to reenable it then use it.

There are a few things that they never answered:

There were several failed authentication attempts to my account before they bypassed the 2FA. I didn't get any kind of alert, nor was my account locked out. Multiple failed authentication attempts from a TOR node should throw some kind of red flag.

I didn't get a password reset email when the attacker successfully reset my password. I did get one when I requested a password reset. I didn't get a notification that my password had been successfully reset either time.

It bothers me how CB apparently had an excuse that my email account had been compromised and my 2FA "bypassed" and seemed to expect me to go away after that.

CB seemed to ignore the issues about there being no password reset emails or my phone being reenabled for 2FA.

CB said that since my text messages COULD be accessed from the internet, they would not cover any losses. The real problem is that, as far as I know, ALL cell carriers allow access to text messages from the internet - I've personally done it on sprint and ATT. It's a ready excuse to tell anyone to shut up and go away.

All this put together makes me think that there's some exploit that they are at least somewhat aware of, but are not able to and/or interested in fixing, and are just hoping that it doesn't happen to more people than they can tell to screw off.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Heresiarch posted:

typical @aantonop fan, "I have no idea why I bother favoriting/retweeting everything @aantonop says. Could you all just read his tweets twice, please? Thanks. <3", has what appears to be a tentacle pony as her banner image

also he's tweeting again and has completely abandoned our conversation, not surprisingly

i'm a little disappointed, i was hoping for some kind of hilarious nonsequitur response to my effortposting. oh well

keep up the Lord's work Heresiarch

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

oh my god this pathetic baby actually complained to the Department of Justice about Apple's removal of the Blockchain app being Anti-trust

quote:

Antitrust claim

Apple is removing applications from its software marketplace to give itself the competitive advantage in in-app-purchases (from which it takes a cut) and to clear the way for its upcoming mobile payment solution.

"An unlawful monopoly exists when one firm controls the market for a product or service, and it has obtained that market power, not because its product or service is superior to others, but by suppressing competition with anticompetitive conduct." -- DoJ summary of the The Sherman Antitrust Act 13.

I claim that Apple is suppressing competition by removing competing software services from its software marketplace.
Self-Regulation and Complications

Apple has not officially announced an upcoming mobile payment solution (a competing product or service).

In some cases, the Bitcoin App was removed because they violated Apple's software marketplace terms of use, which clearly states that "Apps must comply with all legal requirements in any location where they are made available to users. It is the developer's obligation to understand and conform to all local laws" 7.

Some countries do not allow the buying or selling of Bitcoin due to various concerns 8. Bitcoin is legal in more than 40 countries including the United States.

Some of the removed applications did not violate any laws in the countries they were offered in.

"Further demonstrating the arbitrary basis of this decision, Apple’s official communication says that the app was removed because of an “unresolved issue”, a claim that cannot even be disputed and boils down to “because we said so”. There was no communication prior to removal of this popular app, no indication of any problems and no opportunity to redress any issues, making a mockery of the claim that there was an “unresolved issue”.

-- Blockchain Limited's response to the removal of its software from the Apple software marketplace 2.

Apple has not officially stated that the removal of the Application have anything to do with its unannounced upcoming mobile payment solution.

Apple specifically disallows in-app-purchases to purchase physical goods (note that some apps do not enable consumers to purchase Bitcoin currency and were still removed): "Apps using IAP to purchase physical goods or goods and services used outside of the application will be rejected" 9.

It must be stated that Apple has reserved the right to remove content as it wishes: "Apple reserves the right to withdraw its approval of content previously approved, and You agree to stop making such content available for use within Your Application." -- iPhone Developer Program License Agreement (2009) 9.
Timeline

(2012) Blockchain Limited created a mobile application to allow consumers to spend the currency on iOS devices 2.

(Oct 2013) Coinbase, Inc creates a application Bitcoin application which allows consumers to view their account balance and view recent transactions 4.

(Oct 2013) Coinjar app is approved for the app store.

(Nov 2013) Apple removes the Coinbase app from the app store 4.

(Dec 2013) "Apple asks Gliph to remove the ability to send bitcoin despite allowing other ecommerce including PayPal and Square" 11.

(Jan 2014) Apple removes the Coinjar app from the app store 10.

(Feb 2014) Apple removes the Blockchain app from the app store 12.
Conclusion

These companies have spent vast resources in creating software to enable consumers to use the Bitcoin network to transfer money quickly and securely using their mobile devices.

While Apple may have legitimate claims against the use of these applications in countries where Bitcoin use is prohibited, the companies should be provided with the ability to alter and re-submit their applications to operate within the terms and conditions provided by Apple and international law.

Apple should not be allowed to have a competitive advantage in the mobile payment marketplace because they provide the platform. It is only fair for Apple to compete in the marketplace alongside these companies and allow Bitcoin applications in their software marketplace.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

i lost much more , much more. I bought when bitcoin was 1050 cause i waited to much and at that time it seemed it was going up, and exactely in that time there was the epic dump. I waited a bit, then when i saw price going under 700 i had to sell, i simply could not bear a bigger loss. BUt bitcoin recovered slowly so i made wrong decision. I decided to enter another time to get some money back and i was newly unlucky. Ok i should have hold. But i am not a long term investor, i do not give trust to bitcoin, to me is a temporary bubble and could end from a moment to the other and value go back to 10. This is cause i sold so fast. Totally i lost about 4-5000 euroes of 8000 euroes invested in 2 attempts, i tried cause all my friends were doing some money with bitcoin and convinced me, at last. So i tried to do the same, after being what i supposed to be well informed. I did my bitstamp account and bought. I was unlucky. It was maybe the worst moment of all year, almost. And even this second time, wrong moment. I will invest nothing on bitcoin or in other financial assets for all my life. I am a 25 yo italian boy and i am a father since 3 years ago, i have a little girl to breed and an uncertain job which gives me simply enough to eat and nothing more, and i am even trying to continue studying, even though is very difficult to find time.
I was illuded to make some money fast, money which i would have really needed, people convinced me it was easy, someone made 10 times the money in few months, so i tried too. And i am serious now: i put about 80% of my savings in btc, i will be hardly able to pay the leasehold next month, and this just cause i have been stupid and believed poo poo people said about easy earnings. Best regards, i leave this website and bitcoin community forever, i hope someone has read this and will be saved too

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

At approximately 11:30am - 12:00pm GMT today, a hacker was able to exploit a security hole in my game and withdraw 0.4 BTC, which was the entire hot-wallet contents.

He withdrew to this address: 16pknxjJF8yhL2iBPmXRw4rcoGhFYmGcoy

Transactions:

-snip-

He used the aliases: 1gld,16p,x,y

His attack was to use negative numbers for the BTC fields when creating a new game in blockchain-reaction, although these were checked for client-side, the server failed to do the correct validation.

I feel pretty stupid since that's an obvious attack and I'm usually really careful with this stuff, but it just slipped under the radar. Obviously this is now fixed.

I have covered this loss from my own personal bitcoin wallet, so no users will be affected.

If you are the attacker and you are reading this, please consider returning these stolen coins, I have a suspicion you are a fellow developer / programmer, so please have a heart.

Cheers, Paul.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

it's been a busy day. did anybody post in this thread about undercover cops busting people selling butts on localbitcoins? because that happened

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

because when the bitcoin does it, that means it is not illegal.

quote:

[–]coqui33 2 points 2 hours ago

the seller was told the funds/bitcoin would be used for illegal activities (this was a quote of mine)

Why does everyone keep saying this? The only source for this allegation a police press release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

see if you can guess who I am on reddit ...!

• Locked thread