Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
good title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
if you don't wake your child randomly with vicious leg drops how are they supposed to prepare for life

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Erenthal posted:

hmm yes, harrassing apple executives by calling them and choking out angry libertarian rants will surely convince this multi-billion dollar global mega corp that bitcoin is an avenue worth pursuing

those people probably aren't execs, every call center employee in europe has an extension at that number

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Robawesome posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuQZTAJ2KLk

Well, I drove 45 miles out in the cold and sleet to blow up my anti bitcoin iPhone for a Nexus 5 Here ya go! (youtube.com)

submitted 16 minutes ago by dieselgeek

[–]yonkfu 1 point 12 minutes ago

Hahaha. Take that apple

[–]unfit_bagel 1 point 10 minutes ago

pretty hardcore, will you buy another phone ?

[–]dieselgeek[S] 4 points 8 minutes ago

I'm supposed to get a Nexus 5 for doing it.

[–]cointologist 1 point 2 minutes ago

Uh oh.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

UberJumper posted:

My friend has been trying to get the BTC sitting on Mt Gox that he initially dumped to their site with the idea that it would easy to withdraw. He requested a withdrawal a month ago and apparently his wallet on gox is empty, but he didn't receive anything. Mt Gox support is borderline worse than Virtex.

Also if anyone is curious my friend got money out of bitcoin, it took 4 months but on monday he was able to extract 6,000$ (after all the bullshit fees virtex uses it was apparently around ~5,500$). He requested the withdrawal late December. :negative:

Also we had a buttcoiner come out of his crypto-closet today, when he off handed mentioned how much money he made from bitcoins. I asked him how did he cash out, and apparently he hasn't gotten to that step, but everyone says its "easy".

:smithicide:

hahahaha

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

FCKGW posted:

O-no, why is it dropping? ;) (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 56 minutes ago by mstevenson10009

It is dropping so as to let me buy more. Bitcoin knew it was costing me too much so I asked it to help me out and it said "ok". What a nice coin bitcoin is. I guess I will keep it and feed it USD and give it a nice new home for now. It did tell me a secret, it said "my price will go up in the future, so don't stand there like a fool, buy me now". Got to go now, little bitcoin is calling. Need to spend time with it as it is only 5 and one day it will grow and I will miss these days when I look back. Ahhh
(Had to make it its own post as I am so tired of this question)

um

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Werthog 95 posted:

so has anybody figured out where bitpay gets their cash from yet?

i thought they were rolling in vc money

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

theflyingorc posted:

im pretty sure bitcoins protocol does an excellent job of preventing COUNTERFEITING, but that has absolutely nothing to do with other types of fraud???

like, that's an advantage bitcoin has over cash - it is harder to counterfeit BTC than USD. that doesnt mean i cant tell lies because i have bitcoins

you're wrong actually. pirateat40, patrick starfish, bitcointalk's donation drives - none of these things would be possible with bitcoin

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
had to look up that starfish dude and it's patrick harnett, and here's a funny thing i forgot about http://ripper234.com/p/why-i-trust-patrick-harnett/

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

theflyingorc posted:

i dont' understand what you are trying to say at all

cool

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
that really long post about digimon online exchange owns btw

I told him he was playing with people’s lives, and some people stood to lose their entire savings. Like Gonzague told me the night before, he mentioned technical issues, and that he would look into my case.
Then 20mins later at around 9.40am Gonzague arrived. “Good news” he said, we have sorted out your account, go and check it online. After I got Wi-Fi connection back the hotel I discovered my failed BTC withdrawal transactions had been cancelled and all my BTC were put back in the one place in the world I didn’t want them: The MtGox website. Back to joining the queue of 40,000 other BTCs.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
[–]lofties 28 points 3 hours ago
I had a job interview with MtGox a couple of weeks ago for a frontend developer position. After talking about their technical environment I declined the position. Contemplated publicizing my story, but I have zero proof that the interview took place. But gently caress me is their environment hosed up.
Either way, I have been recommending to my friends to move any BTC away from Gox as soon as possible, and regret not bringing this advice into the open. I'm a Tokyoite, so if you want to talk to me about the job Interview, or just drink a beer, send me a DM.

[–]sohhlz 9 points 2 hours ago
Can you give any more details of the interview and their environment?

[–]lofties 26 points 2 hours ago
I was told that up until a few weeks [at time of the interview] ago, there was hardly any development environment to test changes. Most changes were done straight on the production environment. Typing this made me throw up in my mouth.
The guy who interviewed me was very friendly, but I felt like a psychiatrist more than a job candidate. The dude went on about how lovely the atmosphere is at the offices, and what he told me about Mark seems to be spot on from what OP has said.
Interview guy, if you read this, sorry yo.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
[–]XSSpants 1 point 20 minutes ago
Bitcoin could really do with an FDIC-like entity.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

BeOSPOS posted:

quoting a question I asked earlier

how far back are we talking here, because the thing about 51% attacks is that you write history faster than anybody else. so any transactions made after you started would be trivial, but going waaaaaaaay the gently caress back means starting from whatever block that transaction happened in and then catching up to now

so not impossible but kind of pointless

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
for anybody thinking "uh but wouldn't that totally be worth it if bitcoin was worth billions", yes, it would, which is why the network security is so important and can't ever be less expensive than the reward for beating it

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

BeOSPOS posted:

far back enough to reissue a large very transaction to your own wallet instead of the original recipient. (Does this make sense? I imagine you'd need the sender's private key to sign the old transaction. and not to mention retooling any subsequent transactions from either original sender or recipient's wallets. seems like a monumental use of resources & computing power.)

you'd need the private key for that so 51% won't help you. however if you have the resources to fork the blockchain from like 2010 and catch up to now you'd be able to claim the block reward from every one of those blocks anyway so gently caress it you could still be king butt

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
i am typing too many words about bitcoin so i am going to copy/paste some instead

[–]profBS 21 points 5 hours ago
Based on this story, I now suspect:
Mt. Gox has the coins. The coins are under lockdown as investigators crack down on them. Technical problem might be on purpose.
Thoughts?

[–]preferrous 10 points 4 hours ago
The coins are under lockdown as investigators crack down on them.
Very likely. Some government has probably subpoenaed the whereabouts of (at least part of) the cryptographic material needed to pull the coins out of cold storage, and now gox no longer has access to them.
Not lost, but not coming back anytime soon either.

[–]cypherreddit 5 points 3 hours ago
That would support the suggestion they are buying cheaper coins on other markets this weekend. They might be trying really hard to salvage the company.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

think for yourself by smashing your possessions when somebody else tells you to

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

transfatphobic posted:

yeh let me save all that zero dollar income i have

a good plan

but with bticoin

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Robawesome posted:

At approximately 11:30am - 12:00pm GMT today, a hacker was able to exploit a security hole in my game and withdraw 0.4 BTC, which was the entire hot-wallet contents.

He withdrew to this address: 16pknxjJF8yhL2iBPmXRw4rcoGhFYmGcoy

Transactions:

-snip-

He used the aliases: 1gld,16p,x,y

His attack was to use negative numbers for the BTC fields when creating a new game in blockchain-reaction, although these were checked for client-side, the server failed to do the correct validation.

I feel pretty stupid since that's an obvious attack and I'm usually really careful with this stuff, but it just slipped under the radar. Obviously this is now fixed.

I have covered this loss from my own personal bitcoin wallet, so no users will be affected.

If you are the attacker and you are reading this, please consider returning these stolen coins, I have a suspicion you are a fellow developer / programmer, so please have a heart.

Cheers, Paul.

can somebody find that 'have a heart, kevin' post again

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
poz system

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

jony ive aces posted:

it's pronounced like the g in gif

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Robawesome posted:

By the way Tulip, the community embraces U.S. Dollars because it's rooted in years and years of history

lol

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

this is good

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Robawesome posted:

Is this a scam? (self.Bitcoin)

submitted 27 minutes ago by r3b37

A person, (friend of a friend) has ~ 500K USD worth of bitcoins, and wants my help to transfer them to India. I live in the USA and he says:

1 He is willing let me pay taxes on it as if it were my income
2 Willing to give me a cut (3% approx)

The transaction will will involve

1 He transferring the USD to my account that are generated from the sale of the bitcoins
2 After taking all cuts, I transfer the sum remaining to him.

Is there any issue with this transaction? Am I unwittingly falling into any money laundering scheme? What is my exposure here?

Thanks!

ffs

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

pointsofdata posted:

apparently it's not even known if it's a solvable problem. the suggestion is apparantly to check if a transaction of the same size has gone through somewhere which sounds very scalable

also

backed by maff

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

unpacked robinhood posted:

If it actually happened, and mtgocks managed to replay their transaction log from the beginning and pinpoint the bogus transactions, what kind of entity would they be able to point the finger to ? Like an individual account, a particular pool ?

My question is who gets the scammer tag

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

jre posted:

Yeah, those reliable exchanges you can trust like

that nice man you met in starbucks who gave you a sack of amazon gift cards

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
bitcoin news: for the technological elite who have yet to master reverse image searches

or basic fact checking

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
actually "news, but with bitcoin" would have done it

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

astr0man posted:

worksforme wontfix

please don't post my work login info

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

TVarmy posted:

His followers call themselves true believers unironically. Faith is a big value in secular libertarian circles.

nec fides in institutis

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

stupid question but what's the point of having a hash if it can't be relied on

gently caress you dad

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

lol

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Heresiarch posted:

let's see if i get a response

also

i know what he's trying to say here, and it's true, but man that seems like a bad way to handle it

it's worth noting that unless the bitcoin-qt wallet has been updated at some point in the last few years, which i doubt, you need to hex edit your wallet.dat to even attempt that safe fix since pending transactions couldn't be resent by default for obvious reasons

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
that man stole my kidney to make a point about the inherent oppression in regulating the organ trade industry

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
ok gently caress kidneys, i have built my own altorgan to do the same thing but even better, and i'm sure my body will catch on and start using it any day now

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
an analogy is like an egg. sometimes you get bad ones, and other times, you've got something else, but with bitcoin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Boxturret posted:

i'm still not really understanding the "double spend" thing.

how are people modifying parts of the transfer? i thought you just sent a message that you were transferring x bitcoins then everyone else validated it?

adix explained the transaction id changing thing, the double or triple or w/e spend comes into play when you're magic the gathering online exchange and you assume transaction id NOT_FOR_DRUGS can't be changed. i change it to id FUCK_YOU_GOT_MINE by shuffling the contents(not the inputs or outputs, i can't change those) and the transfer of butts from you to me still happens, just under a new name. i then complain that i never received transaction NOT_FOR_DRUGS, you try to find it but can't, and oh weird how that keeps happening, better just resend the butts

so protocol still blocks double spends, it's your own drat fault if you assume a silly thing like a transaction id could be used to identify a transaction

• Locked thread