Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

peter gabriel posted:

Are the server going to be cross platform in any respect?
Edit: Sorry, I am dumb, I don't think consoles and PCs mix well in FPS cos of controller vs mouse. My bad. Could the Xbox One share servers with the 360 or are they radically different games / other reasons?

No crossing with the consoles. I think MS don't like doing it, I read that somewhere but I don't know the reason. Can't think of any games that have crossed over in previous gens but I guess there was less online component back then.

All three platforms are using Microsoft azure servers. There is controller support for PC, apparently with a 'sticky aim', so there will be mouse vs controller battles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Crafty posted:

All three platforms are using Microsoft azure servers. There is controller support for PC, apparently with a 'sticky aim', so there will be mouse vs controller battles.

Did you mean there will be pc and console on the same server if they both have controllers?

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

*edit*
haha wrong thread oh well

*another ed*

Actually while I am posting here, is there any confirmation if the PC version could potentially raise the player cap if the server admin wants to? I watched some of the alpha footage and it seemed awful lame that most of the on-foot combat was shooting bots.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Evil Canadian posted:

*edit*
haha wrong thread oh well

*another ed*

Actually while I am posting here, is there any confirmation if the PC version could potentially raise the player cap if the server admin wants to? I watched some of the alpha footage and it seemed awful lame that most of the on-foot combat was shooting bots.

I'm not sure but the last thread seemed to have a meltdown about the player count or some thing and got gassed so I'm guessing no.

Jacque Pott
Nov 6, 2010

Jippa posted:

I'm not sure but the last thread seemed to have a meltdown about the player count or some thing and got gassed so I'm guessing no.

It didn't get gassed, did it? I thought the OP just had a fit about how not all of the discussion was glowingly positive and closed it.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Jacque Pott posted:

It didn't get gassed, did it? I thought the OP just had a fit about how not all of the discussion was glowingly positive and closed it.

Who knows I just saw it had a crap rating then it disappeared.

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.

Evil Canadian posted:

It's on Microsoft's Azure servers no matter the platform. So unless Respawn lets you, you won't be changing any settings.

Came across this Smart Pistol gameplay https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncrnkmeivAo and I noticed this when he spawned

"Smart Pistol MK5 [Enhanced Targeting]
Accelerates lock-on rate and increases range"

Hard to gauge the lock-on speed. Looks like 1-2 seconds at most.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Interesting. I remember shadowrun actually hosed with the pc players mice movement to try and "balance" things out and that failed horribly for obvious reasons.

I'm guessing there will be console and pc only servers though?

zenthursdays
Oct 20, 2009

:feelsgood:
Yeah, there's no way PC and console will be playing with each other. The game servers might reside on the same hardware somewhere in the cloud, but they won't inter-operate.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

zenthursdays posted:

Yeah, there's no way PC and console will be playing with each other. The game servers might reside on the same hardware somewhere in the cloud, but they won't inter-operate.

Sounds sensible. There really isn't any need for pc and console players to play against each other anyway given the huge player base.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
It really does look like the real meat of this entire game are the motherfucking titans. :rock: Any complaints about pistol auto-aim is piffle to me in the face of giant rear end robot duels that play out like a game of street fighter with robots, because this really is a very different kind of game than one that might be hurt by a smartpistol type thing.

That said - I hope they try to balance all the weapons as best they can, but on this game's terms.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Spacedad posted:

Any complaints about pistol auto-aim is piffle to me in the face of giant rear end robot duels that play out like a game of street fighter with robots

That sounds like an amazing game, unlike Titanfall where the robots are shootmans with more health that can't jump. What's it called?

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Arzachel posted:

That sounds like an amazing game, unlike Titanfall where the robots are shootmans with more health that can't jump. What's it called?

Trust me when I say that you don't want it.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

wait, is this game still in beta?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

CURATOR OF ANIME posted:

Isn't it still in alpha?

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

CURATOR OF ANIME posted:

It's beta tested in the future.

Druidika
Oct 9, 2005
Cat Soup
Nothing available to the public right now, but beta info should be coming in a few hours: https://twitter.com/Titanfallgame/status/431395396834054145

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Herr Direktor posted:

The fact that Jon connorski isn't going to be practicing shooting bots is kinda worrying for humanity's future to be honest.

:eyepop:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Seriously anyone who gets this game for Xbone when you have a perfectly good PC I fart in your face

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

Seriously anyone who gets this game for Xbone when you have a perfectly good PC I fart in your face

Perfectly good my rear end, it'll look better even on a 6 year old mid range GPU if the port isn't absolutely botched.

I'm not even exaggerating, a HD4850 or a GTX260 216 will run pretty much every modern game at 60fps+ if you turn the settings down to match the Bone (1280x720, med to high, no AA or AF).

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Feb 6, 2014

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Some thing tells me we are going to have to have a separate pc thread at release.

bugs
Aug 10, 2010

Jippa posted:

Some thing tells me we are going to have to have a separate pc thread at release.

It will be fine because the xbox 360 version never gets mentioned and an xbox one thread would only get 2 posts a week like all the other xbox one threads.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

I don't normally pay a lot of attention to betas but this game is getting released on march 11, right? Isn't that unusually short?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Beta means "demo" now.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I don't normally pay a lot of attention to betas but this game is getting released on march 11, right? Isn't that unusually short?

For all intents and purposes, they're misusing the term "alpha". They announced the game was feature complete and in polishing in late December/early January, and so by commonly-accepted software terms, they should have been calling their early-access a "beta" the entire time.

:goonsay:

Gravefront
Feb 5, 2014

by Ralp

euphronius posted:

Beta means "demo" now.

It does, it has done for a long time, and it makes me so, so angry.

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.

Druidika posted:

Nothing available to the public right now, but beta info should be coming in a few hours: https://twitter.com/Titanfallgame/status/431395396834054145

Maybe not.

quote:

Titanfall has arrived in London, stay tuned for updates and news around our upcoming Beta. #Titanfall pic.twitter.com/RWu6tAaMGS

quote:

@Respawn
@JCthe1st no beta news today! We'll post when there is.
https://twitter.com/Respawn/status/431426558008782848

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It's already won 75 Awards!

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
It is probably taking them too long to upload because it is using the final textures.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Their messaging and PR for this game has been a complete and utter disaster in every regard. I recall a writer for IGN even pointing out a short while ago that they still hardly know anything about the game and how weird that is, and it's hard not to agree.

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.

MUFFlNS posted:

Their messaging and PR for this game has been a complete and utter disaster in every regard. I recall a writer for IGN even pointing out a short while ago that they still hardly know anything about the game and how weird that is, and it's hard not to agree.

I think I read somewhere that the Respawn twitter account is ran by Respawn, whereas the Titanfall account is ran by EA. When the Alpha emails went out it seemed like Respawn had no idea it was happening, so I guess it's possible EA plans to announce the Beta date but hasn't told Respawn yet?

Herr Direktor
Mar 19, 2006
Haha wow they really have no respect for those guys.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Liquid Penguins posted:

The 360 version isn't even being made by the same team, of course it's going to be way worse. MS has nothing to do with it but they've got 50 other reasons for you to buy their poo poo console.

Bluepoint is really good. The 360 version might be better than the Xbox One version.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Crafty posted:

Hahaha calm down. An Xbox apologist, is that like amore evil version of a holocaust denier? Illegal in some European states.

Just pointing out that your 20k is the best online presence a console could get was total bullshit. Don't get your panties in a twist. What's your theory on why right now the 360 has 42k, xbone 37k PC 25k for bf4? http://bf4stats.com/ Maybe it will sell loads more on 360 but I don't see why the online crowd would be much different to battlefields, neither game has a real single player.

Its hardly the gulf you were insinuating that's my point :shrug:

Current stats: PC 46k, PS3 42k, PS4 31k, 360 23k, Xbone 17k. Theory: Battlefield's audience is on PlayStation (and PC).

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Delusibeta posted:

Current stats: PC 46k, PS3 42k, PS4 31k, 360 23k, Xbone 17k. Theory: Battlefield's audience is on PlayStation (and PC).

Maybe, but its also morning in NA, where xbone has actually sold to some degree. Id be curious to see what those numbers look like in ~8 hours.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Delusibeta posted:

I agree and you make an excellent point. I think titanfall will do really well on ps4.

You're right about the numbers changing, its almost like the world has time zones that affect player counts on the different platforms. loving crazy. Perhaps check back when its 3am your time so we can further explore your theory.

Please don't save all your good posts for neogaf.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Crafty posted:

I agree and you make an excellent point. I think titanfall will do really well on ps4.

You're right about the numbers changing, its almost like the world has time zones that affect player counts on the different platforms. loving crazy. Perhaps check back when its 3am your time so we can further explore your theory.

Please don't save all your good posts for neogaf.
Weren't you the one who first brought up player numbers to back up a point?

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

TheAgent posted:

Weren't you the one who first brought up player numbers to back up a point?

Nope, read up. Someone said consoles are lucky to get 20k max users and I disagreed.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Crafty posted:

Nope, read up. Someone said consoles are lucky to get 20k max users and I disagreed.

You won't read your own posts. The argument was that the 360 version would have multiple times more players than the Xbone. That's not true, but it is arguably true for PS3 vs PS4 (PS3 was roughly 1.5 times more populated than the PS4 version). Combine the figures and 360+PS3 was 65k while Xbone+PS4 was 48k. I would not be surprised if Titanfall has similar proportion of population between 360 and Xbone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Guess it won't be an open beta

• Locked thread