Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Zaq posted:

Ok thanks :)

Could someone who is further than me list the colors of ores and what's usually at the end of them? That would be super helpful. Thanks.

EDIT: Also I could use some tips as to the progression. I assume now that I have a silversteel pick that a 'Marble Forge' is next?

This shows how much of everything you need to craft things and where to find them:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QkqPHnG1JckUWZanT9Mm8yjanGCIS_kheYae49fuo8o/edit#gid=0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fattypigfatty
Feb 18, 2007

a walking stereotype of self-indulgence
Fun Shoe

RCarr posted:

So if I wont be able to log on until 5pm EST or so today, is there any chance of me getting a claim on Pingo?

I tried an hour or so ago and every island I looked at was filled up on the new server.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
Welp, I was trying to upgrade my 'Fast Copper Axe' so I did the grind for enough resources to make 5 new copper axes, hoping one would be blue. First try I made a legendary axe with 99 speed and 95 damage. Holy poo poo this thing plows through trees like they are nothing.

Burled wood here I come!

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
So you can keep using a copper axe on higher tier trees? Are there even higher tier trees?

Logic
Jan 8, 2009

fattypigfatty posted:

I tried an hour or so ago and every island I looked at was filled up on the new server.

Still spots out by me on the new server, lots of them to be honest. I am on Mesa tier 2.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Okay, I'm stuck at "I bought the game now what?"

I can't find anywhere to download the alpha and get going, and I didn't even get an email with the purchase.

EDIT:
Nevermind, just got the e-mail, took like 10 minutes.

Loving Life Partner fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 5, 2014

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

I can't seem to find this..out of curiosity..what is the grace period for a refund on a founder's pack for alpha?

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just an FYI Sony has placed an order for 3 new servers to go up soon. If you can't find a claim on Serenity, it sucks, but more room is coming soon.

Looks like 1 is for EU and will be this week, and 2 more are for US, slated for next week.

Munion
Apr 11, 2012

Fellow goons shouldn't worry about crafting stations right away. Go to my plot posted on the map on the previous page to have access to the highest tier crafting stations we can make until mithril gets put in game. I was up all night to snag that claim, then had Dr. appointment in the morning so I stayed up. Probly gonna crash for a few hours but I will be on later if any needs any help figuring stuff out.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Droid Washington posted:

Just an FYI Sony has placed an order for 3 new servers to go up soon. If you can't find a claim on Serenity, it sucks, but more room is coming soon.

Looks like 1 is for EU and will be this week, and 2 more are for US, slated for next week.

It is tempting to wait. I was logged on last night waiting to get a claim on the new server. Ended up going to bed, and jumped on as soon as I woke up. New server had a few places out on the edge, but they mostly sucked.

kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009
I managed to claim a place right beside Munion, way closer than it should have let me but clicking enough lets you claim in some crazy spots. It's nice to have somewhere decent to build anyway.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

DevNull posted:

It is tempting to wait. I was logged on last night waiting to get a claim on the new server. Ended up going to bed, and jumped on as soon as I woke up. New server had a few places out on the edge, but they mostly sucked.

Exact same story for me. I just went and found a claim on Courage somewhere.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

If you could warp to your claim life would be easier

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Help me out, what am I looking at when I pull up the claim map? I got small boxes inside big boxes and red x's

Sir Vanderhosen
Feb 18, 2011

Loving Life Partner posted:

Help me out, what am I looking at when I pull up the claim map? I got small boxes inside big boxes and red x's

The small box is a claim and the big box is the buffer around that claim. The red x is saying you can't place a claim there. Your claim box will turn blue if you can actually put it down. I've had mixed results with placing claims in another persons buffer, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
That buffer is ridiculous.

fattypigfatty
Feb 18, 2007

a walking stereotype of self-indulgence
Fun Shoe

Logic posted:

Still spots out by me on the new server, lots of them to be honest. I am on Mesa tier 2.

I'm clearly missing something with how claims work, I ran across the entire map and couldn't find one.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I had to run to the edge of a desert area to find space. My neighbor has crafting stations and there's tier 1 poo poo everywhere though, so I don't feel bad.

I'm digging this so far :)

Huttan
May 15, 2013

Al Borland posted:

Where the heck do I find Tourmaline?

I found a huge amount in one of the T2 deserts (I was in "hollow", way out east, last night) over the past 2 nights. In the T2 deserts, some of the white smears are marble and some are tin. Those tin deposits have tourmaline at the bottom of them. I've got like 600 pieces of the stuff, so if you see Huttan online and can explain how to trade, you can have some. Otherwise it is a pink smear on the surface. Last time the game crashed, I was in the woods in "hollow" trying to acquire the burled wood I need.

Topaz and Elemental Silver seem mad rare.

http://landmark.wikia.com/wiki/Mining_Guide

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QkqPHnG1JckUWZanT9Mm8yjanGCIS_kheYae49fuo8o/htmlview?usp=sharing&pli=1&sle=true

http://landmark.wikia.com/wiki/Exploring

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

doomisland posted:

If you could warp to your claim life would be easier

Once you can place saved template objects, you will be able to. You will be able to select your entire claim and everything you have built will be saved to a template, and assuming you have enough materials you'll be able to plop it down as an exact copy. Right now I have a few different houses saved as templates should I ever want to copy them later.

Edit: Nevermind, I read that as "if you could warp your claim". However its good info for those that don't know.

Huttan
May 15, 2013

Rasmussen posted:

The big structure in the middle of islands that has a forge lets you teleport between servers and islands by clicking on the big floating crystal.

You also have to be close enough for the cursor to turn into a hand. Half the distance from the crytally thingie to the crafting stations was "too far away" last night.

Rasmussen posted:

Same for me and I have a regular silversteel pick.

You need a tungsten pick (next level up).

Zaq posted:

Could someone who is further than me list the colors of ores and what's usually at the end of them? That would be super helpful. Thanks.

EDIT: Also I could use some tips as to the progression. I assume now that I have a silversteel pick that a 'Marble Forge' is next?
See the mining guide link in my previous post. There are quite a few combinations where the pick that lets you mine at one end isn't good enough for the stuff at the other end. Example, iron and silver tend to go together. You can mine iron with the bronze pick, but silver needs the iron pick.

The marble forge will let you make more advanced stuff (I think) than the first forge.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
I'm not sure how fast you're farming but once you have a bit of something you can put down blocks of it. If you have a 10% gathering item (or two of them like my friend does from a bug!) you can then mine it for a profit. This is useful if you're claimed in a tier 3 zone and need some low tier stuff and don't feel like moving. Once you can grapple hook around like a madman with the 1 cooldown super long/fast hook it's better to run to nodes. Works with lumber too. I don't know how well known this is or if it's been fixed.

Zaq
Jun 21, 2005

Am I right in thinking that once you upgrade a forge you don't need the older one? They look identical and the marble one seems to do all the old stuff as well I think.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
I haven't been following this too closely for the last day or two. Are we (in theory) safe to start building now without losing voxel changes?

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Zaq posted:

Am I right in thinking that once you upgrade a forge you don't need the older one? They look identical and the marble one seems to do all the old stuff as well I think.

Keep the old stuff in your inventory so when you lose your claim to a bug you aren't starting from 0!

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Bashez posted:

Keep the old stuff in your inventory so when you lose your claim to a bug you aren't starting from 0!

Pick up all your inventory before you log off. Always.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This just in:

Georgeson just tweeted that there will be 39 new islands today.

LuckyCat fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 5, 2014

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

For people who haven't been able to get a claim.

quote:

John Smedley ‏@j_smedley 2m
Whole bunch more islands coming online later today

Edit: /\/\/\ drat you! :argh:

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Obscurity posted:

I can't seem to find this..out of curiosity..what is the grace period for a refund on a founder's pack for alpha?

https://twitter.com/j_smedley/status/429325217563820033

"We will offer a full refund no to anyone not satisfied with the Alpha"

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Droid Washington posted:

This just in:

Georgeson just tweeted that there will be 39 new islands today.

Any plans on a goonglomerate on one of the new islands?

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Servers are coming down in approximately 2 hours to clean up excess claims and put up the new islands. If you have more than one claim, they will be deleting all but your oldest one. It's always also a good idea to keep at least some of your crafting stations in your inventory when not playing so as to avoid having to start completely over in the event your claim gets wiped. Also, template the poo poo you've built!

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
Wonder if it'll give me back all the poo poo that poofed last night.

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

I made myself a list of existing continents so I can more easily select a new one when the new ones go live so I don't have to run for fifteen minutes to reach my claim:

Vulcan
Mar 24, 2005
Motobike
Is packing up your claim currently working fine? Id like to pack mine up in anticipation to move it to one of the 39 new areas, my spot sucks.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

Just packed up my claim no less than 5 minutes ago, it works fine. Be sure to pick up all your crafted tables by hand though.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Prophecy120 posted:

Just packed up my claim no less than 5 minutes ago, it works fine. Be sure to pick up all your crafted tables by hand though.

Does anyone know if the destroy that is right next to the pick up button has a confirmation or anything?

In unrelated news no one gives a poo poo about my friend still can't keep a claim and has lost two amaranthine forges today.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Bashez posted:

I'm not sure how fast you're farming but once you have a bit of something you can put down blocks of it. If you have a 10% gathering item (or two of them like my friend does from a bug!) you can then mine it for a profit. This is useful if you're claimed in a tier 3 zone and need some low tier stuff and don't feel like moving. Once you can grapple hook around like a madman with the 1 cooldown super long/fast hook it's better to run to nodes. Works with lumber too. I don't know how well known this is or if it's been fixed.

This is known and is considered an exploit. I dont think its a big deal right now, but who knows what their stance is on it.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
Also should be mostly fixed after last night, since things you place off your claim only last for 1 minute now, not one hour. :D

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Capntastic posted:

https://twitter.com/j_smedley/status/429325217563820033

"We will offer a full refund no to anyone not satisfied with the Alpha"

Quite a different stance than with their Alpha Squad Package for Planetside 2. Very interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Anyone know when the servers will be back up?

• Locked thread