Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

The Smart Baseball Dargon Sez:

"Baseball is chaos!"

His bat is signed by Carl "Yaz" Yastrzemski
I wonder if there's enough of us in this thread to warrant starting up some sort of IRC channel...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
No. We should try anyway. Mainly because I have not regularly hung out on IRC since the 1990s and I am always up for randomly doing so.

The official Gen-Con IRC chat the night before registration opened was surprisingly lively and fun. Clearly ours would be just like that.

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

Okay!

Server is irc.synirc.net

Room is #GCG

Let's see what happens!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
/dcc get Hawa11Lam0

Edit: WE ARE ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT GEN-CON ON IRC ALREADY

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 28, 2014

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Quarex posted:

/dcc get Hawa11Lam0

Edit: WE ARE ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT GEN-CON ON IRC ALREADY

are you on irc.ilstu.edu? cuz that is sitting on an RS6000 and has blazing transfer times.

I think i am gonna be able to make it for Friday-Saturday!!!! AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

dexefiend posted:

are you on irc.ilstu.edu? cuz that is sitting on an RS6000 and has blazing transfer times.

I think i am gonna be able to make it for Friday-Saturday!!!! AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
The real question is why you are not on here with us right now, sucka.

I just tried to connect to IlStu.edu's IRC host :( You tricked me :(

There are THREE OF US NOW EVERYBODY

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
For those of you that are interested we are going to have a panel discussion and 10 minutes of footage to show for the dungeons and dragons documentary we have been working on. It is nice to be able to show a piece of what we have been working on with the public, so if you have an hour free when this is running come check it out: https://www.gencon.com/events/66470

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

Hawaii_Lame-O posted:

Okay!

Server is irc.synirc.net

Room is #GCG

Let's see what happens!

Quarex, you should totally add this information to the first post.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Hawaii_Lame-O posted:

Quarex, you should totally add this information to the first post.
On it!

Sorry I disappeared last night, I have discovered that there are, indeed, times when just waiting for your router to fix itself will not work.

We had four whole people at one point :(

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Quarex posted:

On it!

Sorry I disappeared last night, I have discovered that there are, indeed, times when just waiting for your router to fix itself will not work.

We had four whole people at one point :(

There were three of us just now, til I had to take off. :) it's tiny but really nice.

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

I leave in six weeks precisely WOOOO!

Also more people should join us in IRC chat, even if just to idle 95% of the time!

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

I am becoming slightly excited.

When will the packets arrive? I find that I'm going to be moving in July, so if they're going to take too long I should update my address.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Ego Trip posted:

I am becoming slightly excited.

When will the packets arrive? I find that I'm going to be moving in July, so if they're going to take too long I should update my address.
Almost certainly sometime in July, so it might be a little tricky to figure out when you should update your address. I always just do Will Call because I say to myself that I literally have no idea where I will be come August ... and I have been right 6 years running now that I was not in the same place where I ordered my badge, haha. The Will Call line is open 24 hours from Wednesday to Sunday if I recall correctly, or at the very least it is open all night on Wednesday night, so it is easy to get your stuff.

AND LET THE EXCITEMENT FLOW OVER YOU LIKE A RIVER

LIKE BEING WATERBOARDED WITH JOY

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

Mr.Trifecta posted:

So I see the Gen Con messenger bag is out of stock. I like the look at the material. Anyone have any suggestions for a similar bag that can hold purchased games?

:siren: Both messengers bags are back in stock. :siren:

Edit:

Quarex posted:

the Will Call line is open 24 hours from Wednesday to Sunday if I recall correctly, or at the very least it is open all night on Wednesday night, so it is easy to get your stuff.

Huh, I thought you had to pick your stuff up Thursday morning when the doors open and wait in line for like 2 hours and miss all the fun opening stuff.

While I'm only mildly excited now, in a few weeks you will be able to use me to generate electricity.

Ego Trip fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 30, 2014

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Ego Trip posted:

Huh, I thought you had to pick your stuff up Thursday morning when the doors open and wait in line for like 2 hours and miss all the fun opening stuff.

It was either last year or the year before that they started opening will-call all Wednesday night, mostly because there are still people in the 2011 will-call line.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

8one6 posted:

It was either last year or the year before that they started opening will-call all Wednesday night, mostly because there are still people in the 2011 will-call line.
Pffftahahaha well I had the unique experience of spitting ice cream out from laughing at that; that was nice.

For real though. The 24-hour plan is probably the most universally beloved Gen-Con administrative decision of the last decade. Also possibly the only beloved one. Not sure.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

8one6 posted:

*slowclap

Well played sir.

I still remember walking past that line and feeling so sorry for all those poor bastards. I am sure at least one child was brought into this world in that line.

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.
I wish I could go to gen con so bad it hurts :(

I do have a friend who regularly goes and he brought back tales of a gaming themed burlesque show, which is all kinds of hilarious sounding/cringeworthy.
anyways, keep posting con stories so that I can live vicariously through the internet as usual

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Old Man Mozz posted:

I wish I could go to gen con so bad it hurts :(

I do have a friend who regularly goes and he brought back tales of a gaming themed burlesque show, which is all kinds of hilarious sounding/cringeworthy.
anyways, keep posting con stories so that I can live vicariously through the internet as usual
Everything about Gen-Con is awesome and you should go

Where are you, Old Man Mozz? I will pick you up on the way. Ignore the fact that I am taking the train.

I have a lot of singular Gen-Con stories I should probably tell, but perhaps I will try to think of something delightful from each year and slowly post them when nothing else is happening.

1997: Knowing absolutely nothing about what I am doing or what is going on, having only been gaming for a couple of years and never having been around more gamers than the dozen or so people I knew who gamed, four of us loaded into my shamefully older friend's SWEET 1988? TRANS AM and drove from Normal, Illinois to Milwaukee while blasting GWAR and "Stayin' Alive" on repeat the whole way there. We carefully examined the convention booklet once we arrived to determine what game the four of us would play in, and decided on the four-day "Society in Shadow" live-action game (running 8 P.M. - 2 A.M. Wednesday-Saturday nights).

"Society in Shadow" was exactly as much of a duplicate in all but name of Vampire: The Masquerade as you can imagine, other than the almost innovative mechanic of using "drawing from your bag of marbles" for conflict resolution. We had a decent time goofing off as various werecreatures, but by the end of the first session we it was obvious the game did not actually seem to have much of a plot. So we decided to try to destroy the game (in a constructive way), and figured the four of us were so jaded with our monstrous existence that we were going to try to take the entire supernatural world down by revealing it to the public.

Cut to half-way through the fourth day of the game, and about 90% of the rest of the players have gathered with veritable torches and pitchforks outside our heavily trapped hideout, and we just have to figure out the most creative way to commit suicide by vampire. We opt to plead for a mediator from the gathered masses so that we can figure out how to let 3 of us surrender to the mob so the 4th can go into exile peacefully. Which meant that we killed and ate the gamemaster PC who came in to do the mediating and then tried to escape through a secret tunnel (though I seem to recall we were discovered and killed; that part seemed so uneventful compared to the rest of the game). Several players came up to us after the game ended to thank us for playing our GM plant roles flawlessly, and were very confused when they found out we had just decided to be the antagonists on our own.

Though I also determined in 1997 that I was definitely not the "game all day" type, as 1-2 games every day in addition to the live-action was way too draining.

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

Obligatory bump! Join us in IRC chat (even if it's been dull a lot)!

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

Hawaii_Lame-O posted:

Obligatory bump! Join us in IRC chat (even if it's been dull a lot)!

You broke it. :(

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am still anxiously awaiting the return of whoever it was that asked me on IRC if I still lived in Normal, Illinois (answer: not generally, though I am driving from there after taking the train in from Vermont!)

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
For those of us who haven't IRC'd since Windows 98 SE, what's a good way to connect to an IRC room on a Mac (or an iOS device)?

Edit: of COURSE there's a Chrome plugin for it.

Peas and Rice fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jul 2, 2014

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Quarex posted:

Where are you, Old Man Mozz? I will pick you up on the way. Ignore the fact that I am taking the train.

I have a lot of singular Gen-Con stories I should probably tell, but perhaps I will try to think of something delightful from each year and slowly post them when nothing else is happening.

1997: Knowing absolutely nothing about what I am doing or what is going on, having only been gaming for a couple of years and never having been around more gamers than the dozen or so people I knew who gamed, four of us loaded into my shamefully older friend's SWEET 1988? TRANS AM and drove from Normal, Illinois to Milwaukee while blasting GWAR and "Stayin' Alive" on repeat the whole way there. We carefully examined the convention booklet once we arrived to determine what game the four of us would play in, and decided on the four-day "Society in Shadow" live-action game (running 8 P.M. - 2 A.M. Wednesday-Saturday nights).

"Society in Shadow" was exactly as much of a duplicate in all but name of Vampire: The Masquerade as you can imagine, other than the almost innovative mechanic of using "drawing from your bag of marbles" for conflict resolution. We had a decent time goofing off as various werecreatures, but by the end of the first session we it was obvious the game did not actually seem to have much of a plot. So we decided to try to destroy the game (in a constructive way), and figured the four of us were so jaded with our monstrous existence that we were going to try to take the entire supernatural world down by revealing it to the public.

Cut to half-way through the fourth day of the game, and about 90% of the rest of the players have gathered with veritable torches and pitchforks outside our heavily trapped hideout, and we just have to figure out the most creative way to commit suicide by vampire. We opt to plead for a mediator from the gathered masses so that we can figure out how to let 3 of us surrender to the mob so the 4th can go into exile peacefully. Which meant that we killed and ate the gamemaster PC who came in to do the mediating and then tried to escape through a secret tunnel (though I seem to recall we were discovered and killed; that part seemed so uneventful compared to the rest of the game). Several players came up to us after the game ended to thank us for playing our GM plant roles flawlessly, and were very confused when they found out we had just decided to be the antagonists on our own.

Though I also determined in 1997 that I was definitely not the "game all day" type, as 1-2 games every day in addition to the live-action was way too draining.

I am one of these four people! I remember Society in Shadow (and totally wish I had not gotten rid of the rules for it). I did not remember that WE ATE THAT DUDE HOLY poo poo THAT WAS THE BEST GAME EVER.

Gen Con is the best, you guys.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

CaptainRat posted:

I am one of these four people! I remember Society in Shadow (and totally wish I had not gotten rid of the rules for it). I did not remember that WE ATE THAT DUDE HOLY poo poo THAT WAS THE BEST GAME EVER.

Gen Con is the best, you guys.
It is funny, I think we all found those rules a couple of years later in our collective closets and threw them out in disgust, and then of course when the very existence of this game disappeared from the universe we all regretted having done so.

Hahaha, in fact, it has so disappeared that there is a One World By Night Vampire chronicle in ST. PAUL MINNESOTA ongoing since 2008 called "Society in Shadow." Nice.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

Quarex posted:

I am still anxiously awaiting the return of whoever it was that asked me on IRC if I still lived in Normal, Illinois (answer: not generally, though I am driving from there after taking the train in from Vermont!)

That was me :) since InShaneee and I are Illinois goons, I was wondering if you were too!

It's getting closer, and I am still nervous as hell about the battlecon tournament. This whole thing is so exciting though!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

gamingCaffeinator posted:

That was me :) since InShaneee and I are Illinois goons, I was wondering if you were too!
Oh!#$ Yeah I think the first time I saw a Gen-Con thread (like 2004-2005, back when it was usually someone half-heartedly posting two sentences as a starter post) there were a couple of other Central Illinois Goons. I made plans to meet them and then predictably failed in the execution. But this year...! Wednesday night! Wooo!

BRING AVANTI'S BREAD AND RANCH DRESSING

Blue Wher
Apr 27, 2010

"Baseball is chaos!"

I leave five weeks from tomorrow SO STOKED.

(also join chat)

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.

Quarex posted:

Does that train swing through Dallas? :v:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Old Man Mozz posted:

Does that train swing through Dallas? :v:
;)

No though I was just in Dallas for seven weeks of training :( I could have put you in my extra-large carry-on.

Only $300 for a round trip flight from Dallas to Indianapolis! Granted if you are unhappy that I just typed "only $300" then I understand.

Gen-Con really is worth it, though. "It" being "spending however much you have to spend to go, as long as you have 'that much + $50' to your name."

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

For those of us that are new to GenCon, what gaming supplies do you veterans suggest we bring? Especially if we've got a bunch of free time for random gaming with cool con people.

Is it worth it to bring games with me or is the open gaming library robust enough to handle most gaming needs?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Ego Trip posted:

For those of us that are new to GenCon, what gaming supplies do you veterans suggest we bring? Especially if we've got a bunch of free time for random gaming with cool con people.

Is it worth it to bring games with me or is the open gaming library robust enough to handle most gaming needs?

Bring the one game you own but never get to play, you'll be able to scare up some players without issue.
Bring a good reusable water bottle.
Don't bring dice. Buy the Gen Con set at the con.
A box of granola bars wouldn't hurt.
If you're not going to buy a messenger bag there then bring something comfortable.
Edit: And if you own the game book for an RPG you know you're going to play (or would like to) it probably wouldn't hurt to pack it.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jul 8, 2014

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Ego Trip posted:

Make sure you are wearing comfortable walking shoes. You are going to be spending a lot of time on your feet and wearing lovely shoes is a recipe for pain later.

Somewhat healthy snacks that can fit in your bag like fruit, granola bars, trail mix, etc are always a good idea. The food in the convention center isn't awful, but it is expensive and the closest restaurants and food trucks can have some pretty crazy lines at times. Being able to have something to tide you over while you either wait for the line to die down or to walk to something that is a bit farther away will make your life easier.

Keep an eye out for the Group Me group we will set up. A bunch of us used it last year to meet up, get food together, or set up games on the fly without having to try and load the forums.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I had fun playing Sentintels at the JW Marriott and a bucket of beer last year. What will be the drunken game this year??

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Ego Trip posted:

One last suggestion: don't be the guy with the pull-around luggage on the show floor. No one likes that guy.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

Peas and Rice posted:

One last suggestion: don't be the guy with the pull-around luggage on the show floor. No one likes that guy.

No worries there. I have my Official GenCon Messenger Bag to hold all my gaming supplies.

How electronics friendly is GenCon? If someone wanted to bring a laptop or tablet with them, are they taking their lives in their own hands with the roving bands of bag jackers? Are there power outlets that people can just use, and are they frequent enough that each one doesn't have a stink of grognards in residence?

I'm going to keep asking dumb questions until the thread picks up. :colbert:

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Ego Trip posted:

No worries there. I have my Official GenCon Messenger Bag to hold all my gaming supplies.

How electronics friendly is GenCon? If someone wanted to bring a laptop or tablet with them, are they taking their lives in their own hands with the roving bands of bag jackers? Are there power outlets that people can just use, and are they frequent enough that each one doesn't have a stink of grognards in residence?

I'm going to keep asking dumb questions until the thread picks up. :colbert:

There are outlets around so getting power isn't normally an issue. Getting access to the internet can be a bitch do to poor reception so if you are planning on using your laptop to carry all your gaming books save them to your hard drive.

Theft, while not rampant, is something that happens. As long as you aer keeping an eye on your stuff, leaving your bag fully zipped up/latched, and keeping the straps around your legs you should be fine. Most of the stuff that gets taken is people not paying attention to their stuff, someone grabbing it, and disappearing into the crowd.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
And almost all the theft at Gen-Con is of the "probably valuable collectible cards/figurines" variety. Not like this is a good thing overall, but I really have never heard a story of someone being pickpocketed or just having their bag grabbed off them or anything. You can decide for yourself whether that is because the thieves are likely to be too fat to run.

I will say that Gen-Con is basically the only time of year when I never find myself wanting to pull out a laptop, since it is constant nerd sensory overload the whole time. If you are alone and it is quiet enough to concentrate on something, you are probably about to fall asleep.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
It's here! woo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Quarex posted:

And almost all the theft at Gen-Con is of the "probably valuable collectible cards/figurines" variety. Not like this is a good thing overall, but I really have never heard a story of someone being pickpocketed or just having their bag grabbed off them or anything. You can decide for yourself whether that is because the thieves are likely to be too fat to run.

I will say that Gen-Con is basically the only time of year when I never find myself wanting to pull out a laptop, since it is constant nerd sensory overload the whole time. If you are alone and it is quiet enough to concentrate on something, you are probably about to fall asleep.

I always ("always" meaning both times I've come to Gen Con) brought a laptop, but I'm pretty sure I'm just going to leave it this year. Between my phone if I need internet at any particular time and my e-reader, I should be good to go.

And this year, I'm going to (at least try to) finish the drat puzzle hunt thing. I always do like half of it, but I'm committing this time. If I see a puzzle, I'm stopping to solve it, or at least taking a picture and trying it later.

• Locked thread