Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

SSNeoman posted:

Yeah they polish the sequel quite a bit compared to the first one.

Then screw it all up with the third.

The third one has a fun combat system, at least!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overrated Sage
Aug 9, 2011

Atelier Iris in a nutshell:
"yay Veola pl- oh dammit main plot again"
Update 50: Three Little Pigs

Music: Ferocious Drive, :black101: version

I think I already discussed the basics of the “correct” strategy to fight these guys. Lita and Arlin spam Rock Smash and Bull's-Eye to deal huge damage while also temporarily making themselves untargetable while a third character is also there trying not to die. I understand that Klein being the third character is useful to pop a Divine Shield for extra survival chances.

You can also pop out the best Mana Crystals for this. I understand that there's a Mana Crystal effect that you can get out of the rarest Mana Stones that essentially makes all attacks hit twice (or deal double damage, if you prefer). Since Bull's-Eye already does like 1,300 damage (out of the pig's 12,000) to begin with, you can really ramp up your damage this way. Other boosts to attack and defense are also useful.

But doesn't that feel wrong to you? I mean, this has always been a game about making cool stuff.

And shopkeepers are the REAL heroes.

So I'm going to kill the bonus boss of this game using only items.

and passive skills because Arlin and Lita really are pretty much mandatory for this fight

Video: I'll Huff and I'll Puff and I'll Bomb Your House Down

I'm allowing the use of Klein's Mana Items if I need them, but for now I want to show off how effective some normal items can be in their place. Lita got a Fast Attack, which let me set up my first line of defense...

Remember last update when I went back to the land of Mana and found a ton of Star Prisms and Prismoons? Well, they're ingredients for Norman's Eidaltone recipe. The Eidaltone grants “Complete DEF” to all allies, much like Klein's Divine Shield.

Complete DEF essentially gives a 50% chance of straight up negating any attack thrown at them. It's all but necessary to make it through this fight.

It also can prevent Hyper Charge from knocking people over, which is perhaps even more important.

I also discovered in my previous attempts that the pigs are susceptible to poison. The Last Supper can hit all three, but it still only rarely works, and in retrospect I don't think it's worth the effort – the poison takes off a good 120 or so health per action for the pigs for a while (including Quick attacks), but the effect dwindles to nothing after a while.

Milk Bazookas are a bit of a pain to make since they require Hit Lists, but I was still able to get my hands on four.

~750 damage to all three of them? Not bad at all!

Oh yeah, I think I mentioned this earlier too, but Lita and Arlin have passive abilities that allow them to dodge/block attacks, giving them additional chances to just not be affected by the pigs' attacks. I really can't stress how useful Arlin and Lita are for this fight.

I really should have made more Micro Crafts – they're really not that difficult, you just need some smaller gears. Anyway, Micro Craft only hits one target, but since two pigs are burrowed right now I might as well unload on the one still out with these.

HELL YES

And I got to have each of my characters do that, so that one pig is now down like 4500-5000 health.

The pigs continue they're relentless assault, but for now things are still well under control.

Extra Craft require Cueparts, so I can't really make any more of these. Let's hope the one I have on hand is effective!

Nice.

Sadly, the pigs ganged up on Lita enough that even Dodge and Complete DEF didn't manage to save her. I have several Nectars on hand to resurrect, but...well, resurrection doesn't really work out too well in this fight because the pigs just murder that character again before anyone gets to do anything. I tried it once and Lita just died again, so that's out.

Next up is Delsus. Delsus' Feint Shot can be useful in this fight as well – sometimes he prevents the pigs from attacking in the first place (and also deals damage but it's trivial). He doesn't seem to activate this as often, but it's still cool when it happens.

And now for the ultimate glope...

I couldn't get a picture that showed all the numbers at once, but this hits three times and the combined hits do about 2,000 damage.

I kind of wish I'd synthed a couple more of these for this fight – I didn't realize how ludicrously strong the Felios Globe is.

The plain ol' Globe is pretty good, too. I didn't expect it to have an area of effect, but it did.

And, uh...that's about where I started to run out of good attack items. I mean, I still have weaker Craft and a couple other oddball items, but I'm not quite sure I have enough to get through the rest of the pig's HP, at least not before they overrun me.

Oh, did you know that Blaire's trademark candy is a Megalixir? Because that's kind of great. The Golden Sugar requirement to make more is kind of a pain, but I'd say that's worth it.

Anyway, this is where I finally dragged Klein out to bust out some Mana Items. I wanted to see what the Laruba Key did, so I tried that out...

(it didn't do anything)

gently caress it, I'm just going to torch them with a dragon instead.

A couple of those later, and the last pig finally fell. And with that, we have achieved sweet, delicious, 100% compl-

...uh.

There used to be a legend about a golden pig...

Is that supposed to be a joke? It's not very funny.

There used to be a skilled burglar who only stole things in the pitch dark. So a man set a trap to catch the burglar.

Hmm...meow.

According to the only witness...the burglar turned out to be a golden pig.

Unbelievable, meow!

What kind of stupid legend is that?

Don't you get it? The golden pig stole all kinds of things! Supposedly, if you follow the pig, you'll find great treasures.

I don't see any treasure.

Did you forget about the item you just picked up?

...That's a treasure?

Well, he's probably hiding other stuff. We should come look around sometime.

...I don't really know how to react to this. I beat the post game superboss and got underwear? I guess this at least cements my assertion that this is a game where the shopkeepers are more important than the actual protagonists.

It looks like we're just about finished up! Join me next time for the final odds and ends of the game. See you next time!

Huh?

Ohhhhh no! That's my underwear!

Heh, really? These are yours, huh?

Noo! Stop it! Don't look!

Just kidding...We were bringing these back to you.

Noooo! You saw the pink one!

It's no use. We'll have to come back later.

...I can't make this up, folks.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
What an utterly underwhelming final boss/main story this game has. Just utterly generic and forgettable.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
There's a mana stone mod that cranks up passive proc rates, I think it's Battle Protect? Can't quite remember. I don't remember the exact size of the boost, but you get significantly more dodges and blocks when you have one on.

As for Double Attack, it's just +5 Atk mixed with +7 Spd, which are easy enough to get with just common stones, even if you do need quite a few of them. They don't always kick in, but they do count as a passive proc so the previously mentioned mod will greatly increase how often they trigger. Thinking on it, there is that holy attack mod which does require a huge pile of crystals, but I never bothered with that.

Oh, and the Lita/Arlin strategy? It involves them doing their thing without anyone else alive on the field. If the pigs don't have a valid target, they're forced to spend a full round action defending, so you trap them in a defend loop while the two of them wear them down. Alternately, a 500 magic Norn can Turn 2 Candy them if you can keep her from eating an interrupt.

Unoriginal One fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Aug 15, 2014

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
The Golden Pigs have more "rewards" to drop, unfortunately. They respawn, you see.

Edvarius
Aug 23, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

Yeah they polish the sequel quite a bit compared to the first one.

Then screw it all up with the third.

The third wasn't all bad. Sure, the plot might as well not even have existed, the decision to put time limits on dungeon exploration was horrible, and the less said about the BDSM Fairy side quest the better, but the combat system was pretty good, and I loved having a class change system that kept the characters unique by giving them different classes. And some of those classes could just be hilarious to use. Like Edge's angel-like one where all of your moves damaged him as well, but he had auto-resurrection. I beat that aggravating Brownie boss by having Edge kill himself over and over again while the other two just focused on enduring.

Anyway, regarding the, um, "reward" for beating those pigs, I have to wonder how the scene afterwards even comes about. Do Klien and the others make it a point to wave around women's underwear when they enter stores? OK, I guess they're used to having the shop owners being able to use some pretty weird stuff, but I still have to question what was going through their minds when they thought they should see what the baker could do with a pair of panties.

Overrated Sage
Aug 9, 2011

Edvarius posted:

Anyway, regarding the, um, "reward" for beating those pigs, I have to wonder how the scene afterwards even comes about. Do Klien and the others make it a point to wave around women's underwear when they enter stores? OK, I guess they're used to having the shop owners being able to use some pretty weird stuff, but I still have to question what was going through their minds when they thought they should see what the baker could do with a pair of panties.

We could've (and possibly have) already given her underwear for a recipe, actually. Remember Bread Pants?

As for the reward, does anyone know how many there are total? Also, would it be better to try and get them by reloading one save a lot and hoping the RNG gives me what I want or is it better to just wait for the pigs to respawn and hope the RNG gives me what I want (with the latter case assuming I use a more normal, repeatable strategy)? I kind of want to show off all the scenes but I don't know if I have the patience to grind out the pig fight enough times to do it.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
I want to say three, but I didn't bother refighting them either, so I can't say for sure.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Edvarius posted:

and the less said about the BDSM Fairy side quest the better

... what? But seriously, the shopkeepers really are the best characters in the game. Although I guess having a shopkeeper as a party member wouldn't be that different from Klein, just using items instead of mana to make items.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
What kind of non-underwear rewards do you get from dropping three Golden Pigs?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Just finished reading through this, and I'm pretty sure that 'Virum'/'Vilum' was a mistranslation of 'wyrm.'

Also: the pelican statues when you got the Ruby Prism? Those actually make sense! See, back in the Middle Ages, pelicans were associated with resurrection and rebirth. The bestiaries of the time claimed that they would, when their children died, stab themselves in the chest with their beaks and bleed on the dead baby pelicans. This would bring the babies back to life miraculously, recall the miracle of the Resurrection of Christ, because...well, frankly, because pretty much everything at the time was seen as a Christian metaphor of one sort or other.

Gust is actually pretty decent about knowing medieval alchemical/occult symbolism, so I wouldn't be surprised if this was intentional.

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010

Overrated Sage posted:

We could've (and possibly have) already given her underwear for a recipe, actually. Remember Bread Pants?

As for the reward, does anyone know how many there are total? Also, would it be better to try and get them by reloading one save a lot and hoping the RNG gives me what I want or is it better to just wait for the pigs to respawn and hope the RNG gives me what I want (with the latter case assuming I use a more normal, repeatable strategy)? I kind of want to show off all the scenes but I don't know if I have the patience to grind out the pig fight enough times to do it.
At the time I was so certain there would be some actual good prize at the end... I think there are three total, and I don't think the RNG is involved, it just cycles through. After that you keep getting the same drops, but no new scenes.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Thank you for LPing this game, it's really charming with its characters and design. If you don't mind me asking, how is that final odds and ends update coming along?

Overrated Sage
Aug 9, 2011

Mraagvpeine posted:

Thank you for LPing this game, it's really charming with its characters and design. If you don't mind me asking, how is that final odds and ends update coming along?

poo poo, I let myself forget about this. My bad. :shobon: I'll try to get all the last loose ends stuff wrapped up this week if I can.

Overrated Sage
Aug 9, 2011

Update 51: Postgame Postscript Post

All right, I've tried the Golden Pigs fight ten more times and these were the only other scenes I found. It turns out you can get different items on your first attempt, instead of having to re-fight them on the same file, so I was able to just refight them with all my top tier alchemy items intact. Let's have a look at our other unusual spoils...

Items for singing...hey, you don't suppose -

Music: Hagel's Song

Huh?

You took that from my stage kit!

Oh, is this stuff yours?

Why the hell would you take these!?

No, I didn't steal it! Let me explain...

...A pig, huh? Yeah, I've heard of that happening. Well...I'm just glad you guys found it. Thanks.

When I first heard that Hagel was involved in this sidequest, I assumed we would also be finding panties for him. The game missed an opportunity there, and I'm not sure if I'm sad or happy about that.

I wonder what we can synthesize with these?

What?

Hanging from your bag..........Is that...my underwear?

Huh!? Oh...you mean this? It's a funny story...

...I did not realize you had such disgusting hobbies.

W-Wait! This isn't what it looks like!

Come on, Klein. Just tell her the truth.

This isn't funny, Lita!

Get away from me, you pervert!

That could have gone better...Oh well. That's the last of the super secret shopkeeper scenes I could find. I'll keep you all posted if I dig up any more.

But before we call it an LP, I have one more thing to show off. Let's beat the game again with Arlin in our party.

Arlin, you're still alive. What a pleasant surprise, now I get to kill you twice.

That's it for extra dialogue pre-battle. Sort of disappointing, but I guess there wouldn't be much point in lengthening the scene just for them to rehash their hatred of each other.

Amalgam was sort of challenging before, and I still think the fight is pretty fun...

...But now that I have a few more levels and my designated boss killing machine, the fight isn't really hard anymore.

For some reason, this time Veola replaced Blaire as Klein's chaser-after-ellipsiser. Maybe it's just random, or maybe it's based on how much synthesis I've done for them both? I don't really know.

It's over.

Arlin starts to walk away.

Where do you think you're going?

I no longer have a purpose.

Wait...I'm coming with you.

You don't owe me anything.

It's okay. I want to come. After all, we're friends, right?

… …

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I guess that's a better note to end the LP on than the previous update.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Thanks for showing this game off, Sage. Shame the bonus scenes are a bit of a letdown.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, thanks for being the completeness!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Thanks for playing this game, I still want to finish it myself, but now I can go read the AI:2 LP without feeling guilty about having started this game and not knowing how it ended.

• Locked thread