Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Veloxyll posted:

Despite this, all the objects we've put in orbit are covered in spaceman poo.

It's a testament to the dedication and hard work of NASA's finest.

Neil Armstrong left an upper-decker on the moon, just to beat the commies to the punch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Stallion Cabana posted:

they note this even because of the destruction they cause during a Terror Mission. If they wanted to they could just do that constantly instead of abductions and stuff.

Makes you wonder why they don't just annihilate say, Washington or London or Beijing from orbit and then make it clear everywhere else will suffer the same fate if Earth doesn't immediately surrender.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Flesnolk posted:

Makes you wonder why they don't just annihilate say, Washington or London or Beijing from orbit and then make it clear everywhere else will suffer the same fate if Earth doesn't immediately surrender.

Obviously because they know that humans are the pluckiest goshdarn bipedal sophonts in the universe. Blowing up major population centers would only increase our level of pluck.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Pvt.Scott posted:

Obviously because they know that humans are the pluckiest goshdarn bipedal sophonts in the universe. Blowing up major population centers would only increase our level of pluck.

Being far too inclined to think about anime, this line of thought led me to wonder if there's a mod to replace the punchy fist with a drill. :kamina:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Dareon posted:

Being far too inclined to think about anime, this line of thought led me to wonder if there's a mod to replace the punchy fist with a drill. :kamina:

Wasn't the entire point of TTGL season 2 that the aliens were trying to use an overwhelming display of superior force to wipe out most of humanity and drive the rest into a state of despair? And the only reason it didn't work was Simon and the twins just happened to exist and refused to give up?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Flesnolk posted:

There is a reason, but it's spoilers to say so.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
If I remember the spoilers correctly, they'd be much easier to achieve with that plan.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Flesnolk posted:

If I remember the spoilers correctly, they'd be much easier to achieve with that plan.

I don't think you are remembering spoilers correctly.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Bloodly posted:

There is a reason, but it's spoilers to say so.

Yeah we'll get there when we get there. Suffice it to say the aliens could easily have annihilated us before humanity was even aware of them but they chose not to.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!
Add me to the list of people who bought the game because of this thread (and the 2K Weekend Steam sale). And then add me to the chorus of voices crying out, "Fix your game, Jake." Like Jade, I have yet to actually enable Ironman because the game seems to enjoy having inconvenient or unrecoverable bugs. The worst of which was when I got the cargo ship mission early, but was doing fairly well until I had to leave for work, so I saved and quit -- apparently the game took this as an egregious insult, because when I reloaded the save later that day the entire map was covered in permanent fog-of-war.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Silent W, you still hanging about? I'm going to start a Bureau LP pretty soon and wanted to see if you'd like to get in on it.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Operation Agonizing Sand

Polsy

Fun new toys ahoy! ... That we don't get to use this mission. Aw. But still, continuing to progress toward the late game skills weapons and gadgets. Fun times to be had. Also sometimes missions don't go as planned and it turns into a bit of a scramble. Fun times if you can keep your wits about you and analyze your options before you make a mistake.

Juuust about to the point where everyone is a colonel and then I can start reforming the squads I send out to have maximum potential. I'm also still scrapping together as much meld as I possibly can to try to upgrade a MEC suit as soon as possible. In the science lab department, we've hit the foretold by Guava crisis of not enough weapon fragments to continue researching all the new guns we want. That will force us to detour our research into the stuff we ought to be researching anyway. Like Plot. The next new plot item we need to build will put us at about the half way mark of plot, maybe two thirds, depending on how you chunk up the events.

Also seriously gently caress EXALT. I'm getting tired of their poo poo.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
'Bout loving time, Jade :arghfist::holy:

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Hey! I had Firestorms armed with Avalanches briefly.

Bought this game after the LP overlapped with a sale, and went on this crazy research path that beelined straight for GOD-TIER EVERYTHING. It was super-weird: I was increasingly outclassed until finally one month everything came together and I launched all my satellites, was rolling in money, and built a bunch of titan armor and plasma weapons. It was really, really hard until it was suddenly extremely easy.

Incidentally, I never once built a laser weapon. And no interceptor had anything except missiles, and then an EMP when I finished those.

And I'll have you know I (barely) avoided losing a single country from the project.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Hahaha. that was an amazing Exalt hack.
gently caress them. Hopefully this one will tell you where they are. I am interested in seeing you blow up the bastards.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Zebrin posted:

Hahaha. that was an amazing Exalt hack.
gently caress them. Hopefully this one will tell you where they are. I am interested in seeing you blow up the bastards.

I really hope he gets the next tier mechs first. When it comes to exalt there is nothing more fun than extreme overkill.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I can do you one worse than an Overwatch shot hitting something that explodes. I was using Lightning Reflexes same as you, except the Assault was headed for cover... and then the slo-mo bugged out so the Overwatch shot didn't go off until she was already at her destination, so it destroyed her cover AND enough of a wall to reveal a Cyberdisk and two Drones.

Having only played a few games so far, this is a weird tech point for me, because I tend to get plasma rifles first, and then once I've given them to my Assaults I don't want to give them alloy cannons until they have plasma pistols too. I get really spoiled being able to Rapid Fire at an appreciable range.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Ah, no matter how you do it, I want to see EXALT die - sabotaging X-Com in the middle of a war with aliens, good grief.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

BrainWeasel posted:

Having only played a few games so far, this is a weird tech point for me, because I tend to get plasma rifles first, and then once I've given them to my Assaults I don't want to give them alloy cannons until they have plasma pistols too. I get really spoiled being able to Rapid Fire at an appreciable range.

Alloy Cannons don't have nearly as bad a short range problem as the other shotguns do.

Radio
Jul 25, 2003

Oh no, trash bear!

Akratic Method posted:

Hey! I had Firestorms armed with Avalanches briefly.

Bought this game after the LP overlapped with a sale, and went on this crazy research path that beelined straight for GOD-TIER EVERYTHING. It was super-weird: I was increasingly outclassed until finally one month everything came together and I launched all my satellites, was rolling in money, and built a bunch of titan armor and plasma weapons. It was really, really hard until it was suddenly extremely easy.

Incidentally, I never once built a laser weapon. And no interceptor had anything except missiles, and then an EMP when I finished those.

And I'll have you know I (barely) avoided losing a single country from the project.

The Firestorm's armor alone will let it attrition down anything short of an alien battleship, so you actually get more leeway than you'd think to research the weaponry. Then you have a games where the detections go from scout straight to battleships on month 3 and RIP satellites.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I scarcely use it, but even the phalanx cannon is a big improvement over the default missiles.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
I like keeping around Interceptors with Plasma Cannons for that very rare occasion where UFOs come back to back close enough that the flier you sent out for the first UFO isn't going to repair/refuel in time for the second. Plus at a certain point you end up with more money than you can really spend, so 50 XCOM funbux a month is worth a bit of security. It also feels nice to have a proportionate response available for scout ships, instead of throwing your Fusion Lance equipped Firestorm at them.

I'll echo that Firestorms with Avalanche Missiles really aren't that bad. They can take down most things. You should be researching either EMP Cannons or Fusion Lances immediately after Firestorm if you can, though. It may not be realistic for something as small as a Firestorm to chump a Battleship in two or three shots, but drat if it isn't satisfying.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

BrainWeasel posted:

I can do you one worse than an Overwatch shot hitting something that explodes. I was using Lightning Reflexes same as you, except the Assault was headed for cover... and then the slo-mo bugged out so the Overwatch shot didn't go off until she was already at her destination, so it destroyed her cover AND enough of a wall to reveal a Cyberdisk and two Drones.

I once had a lighting reflex shot hit the alien power source the assault was running past on his way to cover, dealing more damage then the shot would have and instantly killing the assault.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Jade Star posted:

Can't you just pop 50 bitcoins at the start of the month and maybe 100 towards the middle to do a scan for EXALT cells? It's not like you're money bound with your current income. It should catch something 50% of the time, and considering the annoyance those assholes bring it's probably worth it.

VVVVVVVVVVV
Fair enough, I forget half the time too

Omobono fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Sep 17, 2014

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Mostly i forgot to. And if you scan too soon after an exalt mission, a new cell wont be detected and you waste the bit coins. So I tend to just forget they exist until they hack me.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

I find that scanning on the 6th and 16th works pretty nicely. It's a nice stagger that keeps me from ever dropping 150 on a scan, while also keeping EXALT locked down and harmless.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Shellshock gets got again. She needs to get some promotions quickly so she can put her good potential to good use. Mostly by, y'know, actually resisting a mind control for once! :argh:

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

Jade Star posted:

Alloy Cannons don't have nearly as bad a short range problem as the other shotguns do.

They still end up with something like an 8% chance to hit at the range I get used to using LPRs or plasma rifles at.

Apparently my ideal squad is a punch MEC for scouting and five Double Tap snipers.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

BrainWeasel posted:

They still end up with something like an 8% chance to hit at the range I get used to using LPRs or plasma rifles at.

Apparently my ideal squad is a punch MEC for scouting and five Double Tap snipers.

Yeah you're just engaging from way too far away with your assaults. I used to do the same thing but then I decided to give Alloy Cannons a shot and can never go back now, because holy poo poo running up into something's face and popping it with two alloy cannon shots is satisfying.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

BrainWeasel posted:

Just think of the shotgun series of weapons as exceptionally long melee weapons.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Vorpal Cat posted:

I once had a lighting reflex shot hit the alien power source the assault was running past on his way to cover, dealing more damage then the shot would have and instantly killing the assault.

I have, more than once, had an alien double-move in a very strange way just so that my one overwatching soldier would miss them and shoot out a canister of Meld. gently caress you too, game. :argh:

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

BrainWeasel posted:

Don't ask a weapon to do something it wasn't designed for.

zyxophoj
May 24, 2014

Jade Star posted:

Eh, EXALT's tricks are little more than a nuisance at this point. Slowing down research has next to no effect when the limiting factor is weapon fragments and not time. Increasing panic in 1 country by 1 is a complete joke at this stage in the game. Money hacks are slightly irritating but you've probably got thousands of unhackable bitcoins in the form of vendor trash in the grey market. I almost wish EXALT was more threatening. If they could steal weapon fragments or elerium then I bet we'd all scan religiously.

Not Psi-testing your elites until they hit Colonel rank is sensible - but why not hire some rookies and test them? If they have superpowers, great. If not, fire those muggles and try again.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

zyxophoj posted:

Increasing panic in 1 country by 1 is 2 or 3 is still a complete joke at this stage in the game.

Fixed that for you. The research is still a pain sometimes though. Plus it's just plain mean to deny us our shiny new toys. :argh:

zyxophoj posted:

Not Psi-testing your elites until they hit Colonel rank is sensible - but why not hire some rookies and test them? If they have superpowers, great. If not, fire those muggles and try again.

This is a good policy if you can afford it (especially when you have at most one psi person around, thanks to the special calculations for Captain-or-below), but the thread's already bitched enough about him using bunches of money to select for high Aim people. Imagine the uproar that selecting for psi-positive would cause.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
Exalt hacks are pretty brutal in Marathon mode. I recently got 30 days added to Carapace armour, just when I was about to finish it...

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

apostateCourier posted:

Just think of the shotgun series of weapons as exceptionally long melee weapons that repeatedly explode into tiny, biting bits.

FTFY

NothingToFyr
May 22, 2010

Felinoid posted:

but the thread's already bitched enough about him using bunches of money to select for high Aim people. Imagine the uproar that selecting for psi-positive would cause.

I don't see how this is something to bitch about. He's paying many times higher cost to get troops that are more capable. Would it be any more cheating if they charged you 100x or 200x cost for 1 soldier with maxed starting stats? I can see bitching about some legitimately terrible exploiting like savescumming, but he's spending way more money than he has to because he's willing to pay for quality.

And on that note, the option to pay a huge multiplier for maxed starting stats would make it go so much faster than sorting through tons of garbage recruits. A man can dream.

Edit: I never said it was a balanced idea, just that it would save a lot of time.

NothingToFyr fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Sep 18, 2014

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

NothingToFyr posted:

I don't see how this is something to bitch about. He's paying many times higher cost to get troops that are more capable. Would it be any more cheating if they charged you 100x or 200x cost for 1 soldier with maxed starting stats? I can see bitching about some legitimately terrible exploiting like savescumming, but he's spending way more money than he has to because he's willing to pay for quality.

And on that note, the option to pay a huge multiplier for maxed starting stats would make it go so much faster than sorting through tons of garbage recruits. A man can dream.

That would ruin the whole random/organic aspect of recruits. Not to mention the fact that time itself is a valuable resource, so hiring new soldiers to sort through takes more than just money.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Also, I don't know if it is the case in Enemy Within, but in Enemy Unknown each psi-positive soldier you have reduces the chances of further psi-positive soldiers. Not by a lot, but enough so that ending up with a team of 6 colonel psionics takes a fair bit of luck or a lot of time to level enough people up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zyxophoj
May 24, 2014

Felinoid posted:

Fixed that for you. The research is still a pain sometimes though. Plus it's just plain mean to deny us our shiny new toys. :argh:

Oops. Well, that shows exactly how much attention I pay to the EXALT threat in the mid to late game. Anyway, that last research hack does mean that the first use of the alloy canon will probably be against the EXALT cell that delayed it. Revenge is a dish best served at point-blank range.

• Locked thread