Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Jade Star posted:

Thanks for the Haikus. I'm sure no one will...

:argh:

Haikus are 5-7-5, though? I mean, they're all wrong, but still. Your criticism is also wrong in places!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundance Shot
Oct 24, 2010

RickVoid posted:

Not necessarily interested in signing up to have a soldier named after me, but I was feeling a little creative so I did some haikus. (Did this as 7-5-7, hope no one is going to be a haiku snob.)

Most of these aren't even 7-5-7, haiku scrub.

You are but a fool
Bow down to the king of kings
No mercy for you

Also, snipers are real good.

An X-Ray Spotted
Now this is some drat Good Ground
Hold still, this won't hurt

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

apostateCourier posted:

Haikus are 5-7-5, though? I mean, they're all wrong, but still. Your criticism is also wrong in places!

He said he was going for 7-5-7, so I pointed out times they missed his set up. If I could get Counting Kittens in here she could explain the hell out of Haikus for us, but there are more kinds of haikus than 5-7-5. That just happens to be the most common we (non-japanese) are familiar with.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Jade Star posted:

He said he was going for 7-5-7, so I pointed out times they missed his set up. If I could get Counting Kittens in here she could explain the hell out of Haikus for us, but there are more kinds of haikus than 5-7-5. That just happens to be the most common we (non-japanese) are familiar with.

Fair enough, apparently I forgot how to read. Thanks for the insight.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Jade Star posted:

Um... No.

Kill #1 was a 87% chance to hit a sectiod. I'd have to have been unlucky to not come out with that kill.

Kill #2 was a controlled situation where failure meant no negative consequence, and was played out more conservatively than Guava said he would have done. I could have easily rushed out of cover to have fed the sniper a guaranteed kill.

I'm willing to see the merit in the sniper grenade argument though. Sure, if you want to front line your sniper and grenade something every mission until you get squadsight you can. I don't think it's a good idea and will not be doing that ever. Snipers are fragile and this early they are one good hit away from dead or a multiweek vist to the med bay, and that will really slow down their rate of exp gain.

And in both of those situations the shot could have missed, especially that second one. I'm not saying the sniper needs to be on the front lines chucking grenades throughout the mission, but right at the end when you're mopping things up, it's a great, guaranteed way to get a little more XP. From personal experience, I've been in more situations where I'd wished that my sniper had a grenade, rather than situations where I'd wished that specifically my sniper had a medkit. Of course, I don't bother with medkits in the first place for most of the first month, but that's personal preference as well.

e: also if you had rushed your sniper out of cover, he'd have to use his pistol, which is definitely not a guaranteed kill. Explosives are the only guarantees.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 9, 2014

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Jade Star posted:

Thanks for the Haikus. I'm sure no one will...

:argh:

:negative:

This is why I rarely do this stuff. Goddammit.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

RickVoid posted:

:negative:

This is why I rarely do this stuff. Goddammit.

:ssh: There's a website for syllable counting.

Kalvida
Jun 27, 2012

Sent mine in just now. Does including a comma break a haiku rule or something? :ohdear:

e; will any of the art submissions ever be posted? I'm curious what others did for theirs.

Kalvida fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 9, 2014

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It should be noted that an actual Japanese haiku pattern is based on moras, which are an entirely different thing than syllables. For example, "cat" has only one syllable, but two moras.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

You know Im fairly good at math, but for the life of me I cant do Haikus without using my fingers.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

SpRahl posted:

You know Im fairly good at math, but for the life of me I cant do Haikus without using my fingers.

I do stealth haikus; make it sound like normal speech and just sneak it past. It's gotten so bad that I tend to do them now without noticing.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Bruceski posted:

I do stealth haikus;
make it sound like normal speech
and just sneak it past.

It's gotten so bad
that I tend to do them now
without noticing.

I see what you mean. Is it transmissible by reading forum posts?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I have come to restore my honor, sullied at my own hand.

First in the UFO door.
I have no armor.
Tell my wife that I love her.

Need to capture an X-ray.
They gave me a stick,
And took away my rifle.

Blaster bomb the Sky Ranger.
Fourteen Rookies dead.
All funding has been withdrawn.

Research armor, or med-kits?
We do not have time.
Just put it all in stun-rods.

Huge pile of alien corpses.
Sell it discreetly.
Alien, the other white meat.

Two missions, three confirmed kills.
A Rookie no more.
Still not getting an armor.

And since there were some complaints about 7-5-7 versus 5-7-5:

A laser pistol.
No recoil, precision tool.
And yet, I still miss.

Embryo inside.
Just like that goddamn movie.
Screw this space bullshit.

I got a grenade!
Gonna kill me some x-rays!
poo poo, I threw the pin.

The Founding Nations,
Have chosen to decrease funds.
Quick, sell more corpses!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Bruceski posted:

Always overwatch
move one inch over ten turns
hard is fun, honest!

No longer quite applicable in Enemy Within due to meld canisters counting down, but still!

RickVoid posted:

First in the UFO door.
I have no armor.
Tell my wife that I love her.

I love this one.

Brotato Broth
Feb 21, 2012
Flanking shots: Yellow
Take aim, you nameless rookie
Plasma shots are green

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Kazwell posted:

e; will any of the art submissions ever be posted? I'm curious what others did for theirs.

I'll just say that most of the submissions have been terrible mspaint art. a few have been really nice. And a couple of people tried to get around the rule about having to draw it themselves. I'm also surprised the number of people who actually put in some time and effort one the three paragraph essay part. Wasn't expecting that.

I'll post my favorites at the end.

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 9, 2014

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

If this LP goes half as 'well' as your stream games then you wont have to worry about 'not everyone getting in', Jade.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

nine five percent shot
no way will this ever miss
another dead soldier

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

ZenVulgarity posted:

nine five percent shot
no way will this ever miss
another dead soldier

Of course it'll miss. Why on earth would you take nine five percent shots?

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

KittyEmpress posted:

If this LP goes half as 'well' as your stream games then you wont have to worry about 'not everyone getting in', Jade.

If this was open X-Com, I'd be out of sign ups already.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
The only good haiku I've ever written goes thus:

Jesus Christ chauffeur
Soul saving NASCAR driver
Oil apocalypse

As for XCom:

Grey sky men appear
Auto-fire HE rains down
Rubble is now safe

E:

Haiku is kawaii
Baka gaijin get it wrong
Draw steel western dog

EE: Let's Play X-Com: Haikus Within

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 9, 2014

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Jade Star posted:

If this was open X-Com, I'd be out of sign ups already.

I just need to know: has hypern signed up?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I still need to finish my app. Gotta break out the markers and pens and poo poo. Might be too late, but :xcom:.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Jade Star posted:

I'll just say that most of the submissions have been terrible mspaint art. a few have been really nice. And a couple of people tried to get around the rule about having to draw it themselves. I'm also surprised the number of people who actually put in some time and effort one the three paragraph essay part. Wasn't expecting that.

I'll post my favorites at the end.

Look you wouldn't ask a little person to compete in the high jump. Don't ask me to do art.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Eifert Posting posted:

Look you wouldn't ask a little person to compete in the high jump. Don't ask me to do art.

I would if they were competing against other little people.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Eifert Posting posted:

I would because that poo poo sounds hilarious.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Veloxyll posted:

I would if they were competing against other little people.

I... I...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Years of seeing LPs where people say "I felt like doing some fanart so here's a crappy thing I threw up in a minute" followed by something the rest of us will never manage to do has led to a lot of art-shyness.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

I thought you were a GEP Gun.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I did eventually turn in a drawn entry, but I want the record to show it was under duress.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Hi Jade I would like to request you yelling more. THis just doesn't feel like a Jade Star stream without it. Also glad you got a co commentator, it's much more normal.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Eifert Posting posted:

I did eventually turn in a drawn entry, but I want the record to show it was under duress.

I just saw this and it's pretty good. I think I can see the corner of a first draft in the picture too, so you actually practiced for it. Nice.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I got the UI wrong. :downs:

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Operation Shattered Empire

Last mission put Sprahl in the medbay for a while, and with Nittien becoming a second sniper and it being a bit to early to run two snipers in the squad I draft up two more hopeful rookies to fill the skyranger.

Rookie Ragnar Tiny Turtle - 37 Will 65 Aim

Rookie Finn Turne - 27 Will 70 Aim

Tiny is so close to the default soldier with out second wave options. Have to see how he does with Hidden Potential enabled. This gives us another strong four man team to deal with the next mission.

Polsy

Things discussed in the video:

Probability and perception

Guava brings up mention of the percent chances to hit not being exactly directly related to actual results. It's important to know that Easy and Normal will cheat a little behind the scenes in favor of the player. Every time the player misses on these difficulty levels they get a small invisible bonus to hit for their next shot, cumulative until they do score a hit. This isn't what we were talking about, but it's still important to know.

Guava provided the following link to one mans blog on the probability of X-Com. The blogger keeps track of over 1,200 shots taken, their displayed odds, and if they hit or not. He plots the data and overlays it with what you'd expect from perfect percentages. He further applies some statistical math to see if his data falls within acceptable parameters. I am not versed in statistics, but the evidence looks very strongly compelling that X-Com is truly random and that the opinion that the RNG being broken is perception biased.

I made a claim that dashing is faster than double moving

This is sort of correct, but after testing I wouldn't claim it anymore.

What happened in my testing is that I took a soldier, measured out how far they could travel if they dashed from the start, noted where the movement lines were, and then tried to get that far by doing a single move, and then moving again. It was a simple test but I think the mechanics of the game would say I am wrong. Soldiers don't pick up any extra movement from dashing versus a double move. However what I noticed every time was that the farthest boundaries of where I could move the second time were not always the same as before the soldier moved. What looked like was going on was that the pathing for the soldier, or making them stop on a specific square, makes the traveling soldier slightly less efficient at getting the most out of their movement range. Often I found I ended one square shorter than I could have if I had dashed. Or otherwise that squares on the very edge of the movement range were also ending one square shorter than before.

In conclusion I'd say I was wrong here. Soldiers definitely do not not pick up added movement range double moving versus dashing. However the double moving may cost you a tiny bit of range depending on pathing and terrain obstacles.

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Feb 9, 2014

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
On the subject of movement issues, default soldiers actually have enough movement points to move exactly eight tiles in any of the four cardinal directions, but due to a UI bug, the game will claim that you're dashing before you do it.

Edit: and yes, there are situations (particularly with low obstacles in the way) where moving in two steps instead of dashing prevents you from taking the straightest possible route to your eventual destination, so certain terrain features can make a dash have longer effective range.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 9, 2014

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Four out of the six user-submitted recruits we've seen have chosen the "Utility" armor deco (mine included). Do we know something the others don't?

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Green Intern posted:

Four out of the six user-submitted recruits we've seen have chosen the "Utility" armor deco (mine included). Do we know something the others don't?

Goons like having lots of pockets?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The only thing better than pockets is things to keep IN the pockets.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Green Intern posted:

You like your popped reinforced collars?

That map that Jade got actually has several "entrances". One being the big strip, but others include off to the side in the forest and on the other side of the UFO, which is really disorienting if you get used seeing it from the front.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
One thing I never liked is how aliens get an automatic move when you uncover them. If I catch some out in the open, I'd like to take advantage of that, not watch while my soldiers give them time to move into cover.

I will be paying close attention to this LP, I've played the original release of this and never got very far. I'm looking to learn some good strategies from you.

• Locked thread