Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Ripoff posted:

Honestly in my relatively short play of EU I always felt like I was in a survival horror game. Every time I get ahead a newer and badass-er alien struts out and slaughters me. It got frustrating, but with this it looks like you can get ahead. Which for me, at least, looks more fun.

Don't ever go back and play the original X-Com or, God forbid, Terror From the Deep, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Ripoff posted:

I can't help but wonder if the devs cooked up EW but hadn't yet polished it for release, then just put EU out there with the full intent of releasing EW.

EW is basically several ideas that got cobbled together after Slingshot came out. People really didn't like what Slingshot brought to the table, so they held off on releasing more dlc in order to rework to make it more like what people wanted. It was the right move, obviously.

TwistedSynapse
Dec 31, 2012

Voted Most Purple Wizard
2007, 2009, 2011, and 2014

Zurai posted:

Don't ever go back and play the original X-Com or, God forbid, Terror From the Deep, then.

:cry::hf::stare: Bad memories, man...

Also gently caress lobstermen. (does this xcom have a lobsterman-equivalent?)

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Zurai posted:

The problem with this statement is that Disabling Shot already turns those enemies into non-issues.

Not quite. Disabling Shot will only take one action away when it reloads, and then it can use the second one to set up its special thing or just shoot you anyway. (To say nothing of the horrendous Disabling Shot overwatch bug.) Plus it can only be used every other round. Disabling Shot isn't useless of course, but it doesn't just end any threat they can pose. Meanwhile a quick google on this Electropulse thing says they just skip a turn, which means both actions go away. Twice as effective. Plus you could probably stack them if you really wanted to gently caress it over.

You do have a point about running up to a thing possibly triggering more aliens, but that's something you should already be used to taking precautions for if you've ever used Assaults. A punchyMEC is just an Assault with more health to account for their lack of defense, a fist-shotgun, and their pistol is an LMG. ...God, no wonder people love punchyMEC. :stare:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

Easier and safer to just sit back, disable its weapon if needed, and bombard away.

Disabling shot won't disable its secondary artillery weapon or stop it from gunning you down on the alien's turn, but it will stop the sectopod from taking a shot at your mec as it runs up (though if you're concerned about it anyway, take Damage Control, which forces any damage done to the mec to be reduced to a third or less of its total health). Electro-pulse, however, shuts the sectopod down until its next turn, giving you plenty of time to take it out and with its effective 50 health it's not likely you can always finish it in one go. Revealing more aliens is a possibility, but if you have a mimetic skin scout that's unlikely, not to mention the usual precautions for assaults like Felinoid said. Since EW came out I don't think a sectopod has done a single thing to any of my units, even when things went awry and a second one wandered into the battlefield.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 4, 2014

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

TwistedSynapse posted:

One could make an argument for the EW sectopod, but they don't appear in the numbers to match lobsters.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Brainamp posted:

One could make an argument for the EW sectopod, but they don't appear in the numbers to match lobsters.

Plus they're late game, when you have the tools to handle them.

Lobsters can hit early midgame, and are built to laugh at Gauss and conventional weapons. Unless you skipped to sonics or melee, you're pretty well screwed.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Lobstermen are still resistant to sonics, I think it's a minimum of two hits even with the most powerful one. They're pretty much the ultimate gently caress-you in that game. Hiding in a 1x1 closet, resistant to everything except a power drill. Hell, I think they can survive the disruption pulse launcher.

Arguably the best thing to do is to just knock it out with the prod or stun grenades, because that's like the one type of damage they can't resist.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Felinoid posted:

Not quite. Disabling Shot will only take one action away when it reloads, and then it can use the second one to set up its special thing or just shoot you anyway. (To say nothing of the horrendous Disabling Shot overwatch bug.) Plus it can only be used every other round. Disabling Shot isn't useless of course, but it doesn't just end any threat they can pose. Meanwhile a quick google on this Electropulse thing says they just skip a turn, which means both actions go away. Twice as effective. Plus you could probably stack them if you really wanted to gently caress it over.

You do have a point about running up to a thing possibly triggering more aliens, but that's something you should already be used to taking precautions for if you've ever used Assaults. A punchyMEC is just an Assault with more health to account for their lack of defense, a fist-shotgun, and their pistol is an LMG. ...God, no wonder people love punchyMEC. :stare:

Disabling shot's interaction with sectopods was fixed in EW so they don't get infinite overwatches anymore and reloading their cannon ends their turn, so they cannot fire at you with that with their second action since they won't get it. They can still prep their artillery rather than reloading, but at that point you've managed your goal of giving yourself another turn to attack them on. Ever since i've invested in disabling i have yet to see a main cannon fire on them unless I didn't actually disable it.

Sloober fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 4, 2014

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Psion posted:

Lobstermen are still resistant to sonics, I think it's a minimum of two hits even with the most powerful one. They're pretty much the ultimate gently caress-you in that game. Hiding in a 1x1 closet, resistant to everything except a power drill. Hell, I think they can survive the disruption pulse launcher.

Arguably the best thing to do is to just knock it out with the prod or stun grenades, because that's like the one type of damage they can't resist.

Oh yeah, they resist sonics, have to have the whole squad firing to kill one of the bastards, but at least you can kill them.

Gauss and AP might as well be harsh language. Which, to be fair, you will also be using.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Ripoff posted:

It's funny because I remember getting X-Com: Enemy Unknown as a "buy-one-get-one" deal in one of the games I played (maybe Bioshock: Infinite? Honestly cannot remember) and playing it for a few hours, then ultimately becoming frustrated and bored with it.

Now I've been watching this LP and understanding how X-Com works, and with the whole "Let's build a MEC unit that can literally punch the gently caress out of aliens" I'm actually seriously considering downloading this expansion pack and trying again. This actually looks fun, not just torturously frustrating.

Thanks for doing this, it's been entertaining as hell and has me queuing up the DLC once the next paycheck comes through.

This post is really the reason I wanted to do the LP. I'm glad I could help show you how much fun X-Com really is. It does take some though and skill to learn though, which is unusual in today's games where failure isn't really an outcome. So I feel really good knowing I can help give a few pointers and make the game fun again to people.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Sloober posted:

Disabling shot's interaction with sectopods was fixed in EW so they don't get infinite overwatches anymore

It is now bugged with Sectoids, which is not quite as deadly, but still hilariously broken.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

double post

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

DatonKallandor posted:

You know there is a way to get more defense on XCOM units. And it comes standard on the same unit that can heal the giant HP pool of MECs.

Smoke grenades? That's just +40 max, which gives 50 defense max. That's still a 20-30% chance to be hit by enemies, and also uses a limited-use resource you may need to conserve in the event a tougher battle comes up.

This is compared to a guy in Ghost, who has 60 defense in high cover without any smoke up, which is relatively safe if you're using Chitin as well (minimum HP 14 and probably more like 16-18 with Not Created Equal, the only thing that'll kill you is a lucky Heavy Plasma Crit).

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

Jade Star posted:

This post is really the reason I wanted to do the LP. I'm glad I could help show you how much fun X-Com really is. It does take some though and skill to learn though, which is unusual in today's games where failure isn't really an outcome. So I feel really good knowing I can help give a few pointers and make the game fun again to people.

And as a result of this LP, I bought the game and am enjoying the experience of my punchymech taking out a Muton Berserker and two Mechtoids in the same mission. The cutscenes are very cathartic!

But I don't seem to have the feature where you can see the cover a soldier would be in after moving, and neither can I do the sniper overwatch trick.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Robert_Deadford posted:

But I don't seem to have the feature where you can see the cover a soldier would be in after moving, and neither can I do the sniper overwatch trick.

I have no idea how this would be possible. At least the first half. Not seeing the little cover shields would be nearly game breaking. I mean I could do it now having played the game a bunch but I can't imagine what that's like on a first time player. Really sounds like a bug or a glitch.

I also don't know if the overwatch trick works on console, if that even is what you're playing on.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
Nope, I play on PC but I'm getting a good appreciation of what is and isn't full cover. Maybe I need to play with the graphics settings.

heenato
Oct 26, 2010

We wish to communicate with you!
The trick does not work on consoles. It pretty much has soley to do with the fact that you have multiple methods of input on a PC.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The little shields are pretty vital, because sometimes cover isn't where you think it is. Think of the mission earlier in the LP where the aircon(?) block on the roof wasn't cover, despite looking almost identical to the others that were.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
the only way I've managed to do the overwatch trick is clicking back to the sniper. I don't get how you do it without switching back after activating Overwatch.

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Master of the Duncspawn Taint

Stallion Cabana posted:

the only way I've managed to do the overwatch trick is clicking back to the sniper. I don't get how you do it without switching back after activating Overwatch.

Normally Overwatch has a 1.5 second delay after activating. If you're not getting it maybe you have a mod that disabled it?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Stallion Cabana posted:

He's manually clicking the rifle icon, instead of hitting the x hotkey to swap weapons.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Listen, guys. Jeez. Don't agonize over this clicking bullshit. If you feel like the game plays better with the ability to overwatch and move with a sniper rifle, just go into the defaultgamecore.ini, scroll down to the weapon section, and look for the sniper rifle entries. Switch out eWP_MoveLimited for eWP_None. It's really easy and then you don't have to keep loving around.

In fact, I highly recommend screwing with the ini files, yourself. There's a ton of stuff you can do in there for quality of life, and, after all, this is why you bought it on PC in the first place, isn't it?

For more information on this, and other fascinating topics, consult
http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/DefaultGameCore.ini_settings_-_XCOM:EU_2012

Also, I am slightly stoked for Jadestar putting in the new operation words. Last night I did the portent mission, but it was code named 'Operation WTF Going on a Diet', which made me think my guys and gals were jealous of all those svelt thinmen.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
But is there a way to make everyone shut up and not explain every single special mission every loving time?

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
This thread moves fast when you're not around, but for the ultimate final word on punchymech vs flamethrower, please consult the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjlCVW_ouL8

Replace 'staff weapon' with flamethrower, and 'p90' with punchymech as appropriate. Kree, motherfuckers.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

TwistedSynapse posted:

I still vividly remember the first time I met a lobsterman. It was a small, touched-down scout ship with a crew of one. I still had harpoon guns because I was a moron kid at the time. I can't remember if I even ended up taking the drat thing down, but I do remember running out of clips.

It wasn't my proudest moment.

TwistedSynapse
Dec 31, 2012

Voted Most Purple Wizard
2007, 2009, 2011, and 2014

Roar posted:

I still vividly remember the first time I met a lobsterman. I still had harpoon guns.

I think everyone first experiences the TRUE terror from the deep like this - all the harpoons in the world won't kill one of those :stonklol:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

TwistedSynapse posted:

I think everyone first experiences the TRUE terror from the deep like this - all the harpoons in the world won't kill one of those :stonklol:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't armor decay in combat after being shot at enough?

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Just some guy with a college doctorate and a passing knowledge of what it means to be a ninja.
I wanted to ask you fellas this: Does having an Assault-based MEC mean that their Kinetic Strike will do more damage than normal? On all of my other playthroughs, I ran with Heavy-based MECs and Support-based MECs, and their Kinetic punches all did 12 damage out of the gate and then 18 once they received the upgrade. For giggles, I chopped the limbs off of one of my Assaults on my most recent playthrough and found that she could deck aliens for a full 18 damage without the upgrade.

Maybe they did it to throw Assault-based MECs a bone, considering how their mediocre ability basically mandates that you get them up close to the enemy for it to be worthwhile. It's just not listed anywhere, is the thing, so that's why I'm curious as to why I was getting the extra 6 points of damage.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Doctor_Blueninja posted:

I wanted to ask you fellas this: Does having an Assault-based MEC mean that their Kinetic Strike will do more damage than normal? On all of my other playthroughs, I ran with Heavy-based MECs and Support-based MECs, and their Kinetic punches all did 12 damage out of the gate and then 18 once they received the upgrade. For giggles, I chopped the limbs off of one of my Assaults on my most recent playthrough and found that she could deck aliens for a full 18 damage without the upgrade.

Maybe they did it to throw Assault-based MECs a bone, considering how their mediocre ability basically mandates that you get them up close to the enemy for it to be worthwhile. It's just not listed anywhere, is the thing, so that's why I'm curious as to why I was getting the extra 6 points of damage.

Did you forget that you had already researched the punch upgrade? There is no intrinsic bonus for Assault MECs beyond their normal class trait.

Fetucine
Oct 29, 2011

Doctor_Blueninja posted:

Were you punching things you'd hit with Shredder Rocket?

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Just some guy with a college doctorate and a passing knowledge of what it means to be a ninja.

Fetucine posted:

Were you punching things you'd hit with Shredder Rocket?

I don't believe I was, no. It happened on multiple occasions is the thing, so I don't believe that it might have been from that. I'm sure that it wasn't because I'd picked up the upgrade though. For that playthrough, I rushed getting to MECs for a change of pace, so I had my first MEC trooper fielded before I even had my Foundry built.

I'll have to take a look at it when I get back from vacation, just to double check.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Doctor_Blueninja posted:

You probably did something else, cause Assault Mec's only get the damage resistance trait.

GuavaMoment posted:

Replace 'staff weapon' with flamethrower, and 'p90' with punchymech as appropriate. Kree, motherfuckers.

Such a good show. :allears:

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

Doctor_Blueninja posted:

I had the same thing happen to me some time ago. If I recall correctly, if you have Absolutely Critical or Aiming Angles(can't remember which, maybe both) turned on in the second wave options, your punches do way more damage than they should. The fully upgraded punch does 26 or 27 damage with that glitch, I think.

I think that's what causes it, but I'm not sure honestly.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Doctor_Blueninja posted:

I'm curious as to why I was getting the extra 6 points of damage.

Sometimes the damage bonus you get from the punch upgrade carries over between playthroughs. (Not the whole upgrade, though. You can research it again in the new, bugged playthrough and the two damage bonuses will stack.)

I don't know how reliably reproducible it is or how one might get it to go away.

EDIT: Or, for that matter, if it's been fixed in the age and a half since I heard about it, since (as seen two posts below this one) this case was caused by Absolutely Critical.

Iny fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 5, 2014

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Robert_Deadford posted:

Nope, I play on PC but I'm getting a good appreciation of what is and isn't full cover. Maybe I need to play with the graphics settings.

It might be related to CrossfireX if you have a catalyst control center thing. At least for me disabling that fixed it.

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

What Hopeford said might be true then. I had switched on Absolutely Critical to spice things up a bit, as default Classic was getting a little old. That might have been the source of the extra damage.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

GuavaMoment posted:

This thread moves fast when you're not around, but for the ultimate final word on punchymech vs flamethrower, please consult the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjlCVW_ouL8

So good.

Both Punchyfist and Stargate.

Plus, it's not like the MEC weapons suffer close range penalties. That extra move comes in handy when you want to scout with a MEC, or when you want to run up and shoot a dude in the face.

Every time you've missed with a flamer's other weapon or not been able to flank an enemy, or had someone ELSE not get protected when your MEC had move.it's because you gave them the wrong upgrade.

I had ONE MEC on my 4 soldier playthrough for the whole campaign. No-one else had that sort of survival rate, and you'd better believe he was getting stuck in.
Yes, that includes my Sniper. RIP sniper.

Seriously though. A robot punching aliens forever. Or cooking some marshmallows. Punchyfist gets the aliens out of cover too. As well as dealing 12 (or 18 with upgrades) damage to their face. Even in second tier enemies, that's a frag grenade away from killing it.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Tiny didn't really think this through did he?

If someone with actual talent wants to give this a shot feel free, I just couldn't stop snickering at the idea so I pounded it out in 10 minutes on paint.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Mar 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Nah dude you did a great job, that is hilarious.

• Locked thread