Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Fanzay posted:

Stomperud is actually a translated work of the Swedish cartoon, 91:an (nittiettan) Karlsson, which was first published in 1932. Stomperud is still being published in Norway, though mostly for Christmas specials.

Yeah I was wondering why I almost recognized that when I read the first part of your explanation. Wasn't even aware that 91an was available in Norway.

I am sorely tempted to sign up for XCom just to see how long my guy will last this time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

As I was watching the latest video and the meld video I kept thinking "Why does the music remind me of DXHR so much?".
Turns out the music was composed by Michael McCann who did the DXHR music.

Jade Star posted:

So I made a thing...

I just thought it would be nice to save that for the future. Or insert into other games at appropriate or inappropriate times.

Well done. :golfclap: A pretty excellent one to boot.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

ForeverBWFC posted:

I've never seen one in Britain, and didn't know they were actually a thing until you just said that.

Neither did I actually. Don't think I've ever really seen an ATM that you don't just stand in front off while using it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

Americans love to do stuff from their cars without getting up; we are a very lazy people.

So I've come to realize.

Speaking of which I don't think we even have pneumatic tubes anymore either at our banks. Although I'm not 100% sure of this.

Going back on the proper topic I've had this game ever since I got it as a preorder bonus for Bioshock Infinite but I've yet to touch it mostly because I've always considered myself to be really awful at management games regardless of how light it may be. Whenever I try I end up unwittingly make a bad mistake and then the whole thing gets ruined and I lose all will to really try again.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Nittien "Børk Børk Børk" Stomperud.

Well we Swedes do say that the Chef does sound more Norwegian than Swedish so that'd be my suggestion as well.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

AmishSpecialForces posted:

I'm going to be unoriginal and suggest "Tacit Ronin" for our future MEC. "Cherno Alpha" would be my first choice, but with that nickname he would punch an alien once then die like a chump.

But with that name he'll just die off-screen. :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

JerikTelorian posted:

Does this give me a Steam key? I've been wanting EW since this thread got me back into the game.

Considering the DRM section further down says "DRM:Steamworks (Requires a third-party download and account)" I would imagine it does give you a steam key.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Catalina "Blitzkrieg" Sprahl - Assault

Hilda "Smokey" Kartal - Support

James "Pompadour" Dean - Heavy

Rickey "Kapow" Gunerson - Sniper

Isobel "Petardo" Guiterez - Heavy

Finn "Hauk" Terne - Sniper

I'm terrible at this. :(

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Thundercat HOOOOOOOO~!

I think we just found his nickname.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I guess that could work. :v:
Even if I was actually thinking of Thundercat.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Veloxyll posted:

Or Blants.

Maybe Blundersun.

Blunderbuss maybe?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Last Transmission posted:

I fail to see the downside to this.

Yeah I'm not seeing it either.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Oh that's why I thought I saw the Swedish flag in an earlier video as Jade Star was scrolling through the soldier list.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ripoff posted:

It's funny because I remember getting X-Com: Enemy Unknown as a "buy-one-get-one" deal in one of the games I played (maybe Bioshock: Infinite? Honestly cannot remember) and playing it for a few hours, then ultimately becoming frustrated and bored with it.

Yeah I got XCOM:EU when I preordered Bioshock Infinite at the beginning of last year and even some of the DLC at a later steam sale but just haven't really started it because I'm terrible at base management and just keep expecting myself to gently caress it up. I'd probably be fine at the mission part because at least EU would favour my style of advancing slowly with overlapping lanes of fire.
I really should just start playing and try to take as much info from this LP in consideration and at least try to finish EU before getting EW.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Pvt.Scott posted:

My first time on Site Recon I had just unlocked the 5th team member slot and had no weapon upgrades and a bunch of wounded vets. So, 5 rookies went in. 1 rookie came out covered in glory with several promotions. Took the high road to the right and set up a fire team on one of the ship's towers while the world's luckiest rookie ran and hit the button. 4 missed overwatch shots sealed the fate of my fire team, and the survivor did nothing but run. He was surrounded by more and more bugs every turn, but he never got completely surrounded and so could move just far enough to force all the chrysallids to move twice. In the video, you could have just sprinted everyone back to the evac point and been in no danger.

That reminds me of a similar story on that level I heard on an episode in a podcast I listen to. Seems like it's a reoccurring thing or something.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Jade Star posted:

If I could get guava and the rest of the fail pile in the same country/paintball range for a couple of days and a good camera man, I'd totally do this.

The obvious solution here, in line with the times, is to crowdfund it. :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Jade Star posted:

Operation The Incredible Sodium

This calls for... the Sodium song!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqAxcs9lC1U

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Jade Star posted:

Also, your user name in a discussion about Vahlen using the limbs in the cafeteria...

Gene modded to be extra tender and delicious.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Jade Star posted:

Isobel Gutierez was assigned 'Hadaly' which I don't even think is a word.

A cursory google search reveals that Hadaly is possibly a reference to the French Sci-Fi novel The Future Eve which features a mechanical woman named Hadaly.
The wiki article also notes that the novel popularized the term android as well.

Also the code name for the Chryssalid autopsy was brilliant.

The Evil Thing posted:

I wholeheartedly support this. I just wish we could cram a "Duty" in there without the thing looking cumbersome.

The Council Medal of Dutiful Warfighting?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Well I finally tried playing XCom:EU and already want to start all over because I feel like I hosed up the management of the base and the whole panic thing. Barely any problems with the missions though even with some save scrumming.
So par on course with my initial predictions then. :sigh:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Dmaonk posted:

Are you the same Cooked Auto who frequented the PCGamer.se forums like ten years ago?

...Well that was certainly the weirdest call out I've had for a very long time but the answer to your question is yes.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Green Intern posted:

This, except a whale!

That was what I was pretty much thinking as well.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Felinoid posted:

"What the hell do they want with all my chryssalid corpses?"

Some rich eccentric guy wanted something really really special for his stuffed animal display.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Amazing is all I can say about that. :golfclap:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Armadillo Tank posted:

Also jade should do all the death screams for the humans. Basically him yelling "OH gently caress" in every language.

This sounds like an idea for a goon pack where you have a bunch of guys (and gals) scream "OH gently caress" in various languages.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Jade Star posted:

Remember that video where Guava gave out our twitter accounts? My stream viewers have persuaded me to actually use my twitter. You can now follow me if you want to see me tweet at Guava every day I have to wait for him to get an update done.

...And then probably sooner or later watch Guava tweet at me every day I don't update not because of him.

Good thing you can automate Youtube to post a tweet whenever you upload a video which saves you load of work. :v:
Also I think you forgot to link to your account or something.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I kinda want to buy EW at this point but I also kinda want to finish EU's campaign in its vanilla state before attempting to do EW because it adds a tad too much for me as a rookie to deal with when I find myself struggling with dealing with the economy and base management parts of the base game because I'm awful at that kind of stuff.
Right now I'll probably just buy the Elite Soldier pack to round out all the DLC I've got.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Felinoid posted:

When you have EW, starting up the game gives you a small splash screen with a choice of whether you want to start the EU executable or the EW executable. They're even more separate than vanilla Starcraft and Brood War. So if you want to finish EU before you start EW, you can still get it, install it, and it won't change a single thing about vanilla EU. Even the changes to base mechanics (like no crit without Headshot in Squadsight) don't affect the EU half.

So unless you're waiting on a bigger sale, go ahead and get it.

Oh, wasn't aware of that actually. Then I'll just buy it at the last day as per the golden rules since it's bound to crop back up then.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I'd almost go with ICE if we were to go with the hacker theme or why not Molly/Razorgirl?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

ZenVulgarity posted:

Jade should blind LP Long War after the regular series.

A 18 hour stream of a Long War blind run you say? :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Jade Star posted:

I got the first Youtube comment that actually didn't suck today. Turns out you can buy a Bradford sweater and Xcom patch.

Well I know what I'm getting if I ever go to a convention or a halloween party. :v:
(Neither of these will actually happen.)

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Isn't that the same site that has the story about demons invading the real world only to be curbstomped by the US military because of really contrived and stupid reasons?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

You mean like this?

If the gun isn't incredibly heavy (Which it probably isn't), "one-handing" a sniper isn't exactly the hardest thing to do. I'd just be worried about the recoil.

I'd imagine the weight is mostly distributed towards the rear part of the stock to really facilitate that. Even if I reckon that would worsen the recoil as well.
But considering they are most likely hefting .50 cal rifles or something early on the recoil would be a serious issue.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Jade Star posted:

Lasers no, it's light and heat.

Plasma... Probably? It would be launching matter forward. Sure its different matter than traditional guns, but if it's any matter at all there ought to be recoil. Equal and opposite forces and all.

Yeah I can sorta buy Plasma weapons causing recoil compared to lasers since the Plasma weapons do involve launching clumps of matter at something which, depending on the launch mechanism, could most likely create recoil.

There is always the possibility that the reason that laser weapons have recoil because the designers thought it might be a good idea to provide a sense of recoil as feedback to the user.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ablative posted:

Yeah, that's a good point. If you've spent your entire career shooting guns that punch you in the shoulder when you pull the trigger, having a gun not do that would probably be a bit disorienting.

Not to mention it's a good sign that the gun is working as well. I mean if it didn't suddenly kick into your shoulder however slightly when you're pressing the trigger that might be a sign that something is not right with it.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Laser weaponry would have recoil because you still have to propel the energy towards a target. Adding recoil if you don't need to is silly because you're loving with the potential accuracy of any and all shots.

Watching your opponent explode in a flash of light is enough feedback.

It's still just a concentrated beam of light we are talking about here in comparison to a plasma weapon that would need a way to propel the plasma charge to the target so I doubt there would really be a recoil from just that.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 8, 2014

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Karate Bastard posted:

You aren't making special episodes anymore :(

Well it was against EXALT so he's kinda excused there. :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Steelpudding posted:

:objection: The last one wasn't one either.

Well poo poo. There goes that excuse then.

Fix your LP Jade. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

GhostStalker posted:

Also, Firaxis had nothing to do with the Command & Conquer series, as that was all Westwood, who got bought by EA a while back. I should know, seeing as that's where my username comes from...

A while ago is putting it lightly, since Westwood got bought by EA back in 1998. :v:

• Locked thread