Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flat Banana
Jun 7, 2008
With all this space defence talk, it seems we're wandering into XCOM:Interceptor territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flat Banana
Jun 7, 2008

Zeniel posted:

What exactly is the advantage of psionics? I never played the original X-com far enough to get them, never really got into the UFO game the had them and haven't played the new X-com either, so I'm not even really sure what they do. Increase the projects budget by guessing lottery numbers probably..

It's a pretty big loving deal if you got a good psionic game going. In new X-COM there's a cooldown timer and you need line of sight which means realistically maybe 1 mind control attempt per encounter per psi soldier. But in the original, as long as a member of your squad spots it, you can theoretically possess an alien indefinitely. If you do, then you've neutralised one x-ray, gained an expendable squad member whom you could use to fight for you, plus a lot of tactical information simply from looking around without putting any of your regular soldiers at risk. That reduces the order of threat by an entire factor. With some trickery you could also access a controlled alien's inventory and drop all their gear -- and the old AI does not pick up gear from the ground so any alien that does not have an innate weapon becomes harmless. Also I think if you manage to mind control a cyberdisc it will pretty much shoot itself due to how the AI and unit logic works: the AI considers each section of the cyberdisc its own separate entity at some stage and mind-controlling only works on one section so the non-controlled sections simply shoot the controlled section even though their HP is pooled.

• Locked thread