Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Speedball posted:

Personal theory as to the terrible aim of your soldiers: You know how hard it is to get the nations to fund you? It's just as grudging for them to send you competent soldiers. Guava's original X-Com LP is all too appropriate here too: it's a ragtag bunch of misfits in an outfit funded by the lowest bidders.

Aim statistics for real life soldiers are incredibly low as soon as enemy fire becomes a thing. Again, remember that supposedly the aliens (and you) are shooting at each other all the time, they just took it out because it looked 'too busy'. In the turn based nature of a game, there's necessarily abstractions like this-but a 25% hit rate against guys in 90% cover is goddamn amazing and most armies would give you literally a billion dollars if you could train guys to shoot that accurately.

Coolguye posted:

Funny note about that - MEC soldiers are one of a half-dozen ways XCOM really loving sucks at the whole secrecy thing in the EU/EW, but presumably the rationale is that after the aliens are all murdered they can release the truth to the world and say "THIS GUY WITH NO ARMS, NO LEGS, AND IS SWIMMING IS NOT 'BOB'. HE IS A HERO. SO SHUT THE gently caress UP."

XCOM is secret presumably not to hide from governments, but to give governments an excuse to not talk about aliens invading on live TV because that kind of sucks, or in the case of China/Japan (and other XCOM members, like Iran and Israel) to not talk about how their governments are actually militarily cooperating, because nobody wants to hear that.

That way, a thin veneer of deniability is enough for 'secrecy'. I doubt they're secret secret. So anyone in XCOM would presumably be special forces types assigned to some sort of "long-term experimental warfare" assignment, and if they die it's because they "died in training". Sadly, the body can't be released because he/she was killed by a 2000 pound bomb and even if we did release it to you all it'd do is cause you more trauma so we're very very sorry but you can be assured he/she died a hero."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

apostateCourier posted:

Having it available as a toggle would be nice.

I thought what they should have done was make it something that showed up in cinematic camera and/or could be turned on/off via hotkey, to show you who could see who at a glance.

So when you zoomed in to a soldier to see them shoot, suddenly everyone's firing guns and ducking behind cover etc etc.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Veloxyll posted:

On the other hand you also get heavies with no bullet swarm at all. Which makes them kinda underwhelming.

Eh, that just means you set them up as pure rocketeers and use heavy weapons all day every day to open up opportunities for mass murder. Being able to put 2-3 rockets or blasterbombs downrange to remove cover and make people sad is still amazing, even if you don't have Bullet Swarm, and you can get a high-aim Support with Bullet Swarm to work as an all-round ranged combatant.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

apostateCourier posted:

Wait, really? I thought new aliens were a function of time (or in the case of commanders, plot advancement).

As I understand it's a function of both-as you do research, tougher aliens come out, but if you drag your feet, those aliens will show up eventually. It's not really more than a month or two difference, if that.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

apostateCourier posted:

I like the idea of "Cold One."

I'd prefer Sam "Ice Cold" Beers.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

ReturnOfFable posted:

I'm very curious for why you guys went for Kinetic Strike over the Flamethrower. Flamethrower just works so we well with clearing out groups of enemies and the range is really good on it.

The thing is, MECs have low defense, making them incredibly fragile despite their deceptively high HP. Their main method of survivability is offense and mobility. They're fast cav, not heavy armor.

A MEC with flamethrower does not have the 'fast' part of fast cav. This speed is a MEC's life, because it allows them to flank an enemy (and thus kill them, reducing incoming fire), or get into engagement range of hostiles more easily, thus saving the lives of your other people.

Flamethrower is nice, but Kinetic Strike is too good. If Flamethrower also made your MEC tougher (giving it, say, 25% damage reduction) it'd probably be balanced with Kinetic Strike. Make it a choice between "fast, fragile melee ninja" and "slow, tough flamethrower tank".

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

DatonKallandor posted:

You know there is a way to get more defense on XCOM units. And it comes standard on the same unit that can heal the giant HP pool of MECs.

Smoke grenades? That's just +40 max, which gives 50 defense max. That's still a 20-30% chance to be hit by enemies, and also uses a limited-use resource you may need to conserve in the event a tougher battle comes up.

This is compared to a guy in Ghost, who has 60 defense in high cover without any smoke up, which is relatively safe if you're using Chitin as well (minimum HP 14 and probably more like 16-18 with Not Created Equal, the only thing that'll kill you is a lucky Heavy Plasma Crit).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Luquos posted:

Mecs get less explosives than heavies. More explosives is the way forward I tells ya!

Not true. A MEC can get 3 grenades and I think it's 5 proximity mines, for 8 explosions. A Heavy can only get 2x2 grenades and 3 rockets, for 7 explosions.

• Locked thread