Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Aren't Seekers basically another attempt to nerf the power of Squadsight Snipers, since their AI is programmed to make them go after isolated targets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

RAGNAR SMASH PUNY X-RAYS

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

In this X-COM thread
We look forward to writing
All of the haikus

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Jon Joe posted:

If you see an alien, that alien must die before its turn. If you cannot assure that, you must break LoS. If you cannot do that, take your best shots and hope for the best. Also you must have at least 4 satelites by the end of month 1. Also never lose a solider, play on Ironman Impossible, pump out max sats every month for the first three months, get two steamvents on the second level, and restart the game endlessly until the stars align into this perfection which isn't much different from just cheating.

:xcom:

:raise: Fascinating. Where does rushing SHIV research factor into this equation? I've heard that's apparently a thing some people do on the higher difficulties.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

HEAT Ammo in EW makes me mad, because they basically nerfed it to make certain enemies harder to deal with, but didn't bother to buff Rapid Reaction to make it a more attractive alternative.

So now instead of a choice between a great ability and a lackluster one, you get a choice between an okay ability and a lackluster one. :effort:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

apostateCourier posted:

Kinetic Strike
+12 (later 18) damage that absolutely cannot miss
-Requires you to get adjacent to the target within one move (Somewhat trivial, given the increased movement range)

Ask me about the time I thought I was adjacent to a Sectoid Commander and wound up destroying a Meld container instead! :negative: (Thankfully, I'd already collected the Meld.)

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

legoman727 posted:

um, what? I never even had this mission show up on my first EW playthrough.

Yeah, this one didn't show up for me until well after some spoilery stuff we haven't seen yet happens. So it was way after the second month for me. Though then again, I'm a filthy casual baby who's afraid to step things up from Easy, so... :saddowns:

Jade Star posted:

Jetboot Module vs One For All

Yeah, this one is just a no-brainer. I can either:

Give my MEC increased mobility and also make it harder to hit if I choose to engage at range with it

OR

Turn it and the person hiding behind it into a magnet for enemy grenades.

I appreciate what they were trying to go for with that second option, but the way it was implemented was just bad all around.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Keeshhound posted:

:raise:

How does that follow, exactly?

Unless Vahlen and her team all played the old X-Com games, I don't really see what that's supposed to refer to.

The larval specimen emerges from its host like a butterfly emerging from its chrysalis.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Hopeford posted:

EDIT: Also,

The BOOSH made a SPLOOSH! :downsrim:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Throwing in a vote for Saint Isis and Pat the Baker Hoss Delgado.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Feinne posted:

It's a shame for poor blueshirt Hill but his death really did prove pretty clutch by getting Isobel into the game.

Therefore the medal should be the Blueshirt Hill Memorial Star of Adequacy.

+1 to this.

I saw someone else do this mission before I got a chance to play it myself. When I did get to play it, I got only one wave of reinforcements and then nothing for the rest of the mission, which left me slightly puzzled. I asked the guy whose video I'd watched about it, and he mentioned that the reinforcement waves only show up for you if you lose some of your blueshirts.

I managed to get through the mission with all my blueshirts intact. :shobon: Definitely agree that it's a shame the game won't let you recruit surviving base personnel as field operatives.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, first time I played Enemy Unknown, the Overseer UFO caught me completely off-guard and I had to let it run rampant until I finally got Firestorms researched and built.

First time I played Enemey Within, I knew it was coming, so I made sure to have Firestorms ready for it. The actual recovery mission went completely against my expectations, though. I think I killed like a single pack of Heavy Floaters on the way to the ship... and then nothing else. Went inside... nothing. Started moving down the hallway towards the back of the ship... still nothing coming out at me. At this point, I'm getting antsy because I know there's supposed to be a Sectopod and a bunch of other nasty stuff around here somewhere, not to mention the Ethereal waiting for me in the center of the ship... so I just decided, "gently caress it," booshed open the wall in the hallway leading into the center room, killed one of the Muton Elite bodyguards, tazed the other one, then tazed the Ethereal with minimal damage to my squad.

And then as I was feeling pretty good about that, I finished making my way to the back of the ship and oh hey, there are all the other enemies on the map... all set up in cover right outside the hole in the ship. Including the Sectopods. :gonk:

Managed to get through the fight with no casualties on my side (though I did get pretty roughed up), but the drat Sectopod blowing up when it died ended up killing a spare Muton Elite I had tazed, denying me a free rifle and grenades. :argh:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Nalesh posted:

http://a.pomf.se/tjmrzr.webm

This game is amazing sometimes.

I watch that clip and all I can hear is Hugo Weaving asking, "Is there a problem... Mr. Anderson?" :smug:

But yeah; amusing, but not real :xcom:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

The only thing that I really didn't care for in the console release (PS3) was that you can't do the Sniper Overwatch trick. Other than that, I had a blast with it.

Also, I didn't have a PC capable of running it back when it first came out. Now that I do, I own it for PC, too.

• Locked thread