Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Jade Star posted:

Not this month. I have only one uplink and it can support two satellites. One is already above the USA so I only have capacity for one more by the end of the month.

Honestly it's probably worth queuing up multiple satellites anyway - you can cancel them and get all the resources back, so as long as you queue them up in batches of 1 you can have them ready on time to take advantage of the situation if the dice come out in your favour and you can get the second uplink online in the first month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Brainamp posted:

4 uplinks in a square and two off by themselves is good enough to map every country. It's honestly an easier option if you're having panic problems than waiting on a nexus to finish. Plus it leaves plenty of room for all the fun buildings.

There are only 16 nations, so you can swap out those last two uplinks for a nexus to save a square (you shouldn't have much in the way of panic problems after getting 12 satellites online). Or if you want to keep farming abduction missions, just a fifth uplink attached to your block-of-four gives you enough satellite coverage for all-but-one nation.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Picking up more engineers that early is an amazing boon - it would be very easy for you to queue up a second uplink and a bunch of satellites and get them launched in time for the first month's report.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

HaitianDivorce posted:

An ability once every three turns is your answer to "Squadsight doesn't let snipers crit"? The plasma sniper rifle by itself has a 35% chance to crit. Add in depth perception, flanks, the upgrade SCOPE and cloak... Squadsight nullifies all that except when you use Headshot, which sounds like a bad deal to me.

It doesn't "nullify" it at all - if you shoot a guy you could have seen without using Squadsight, you still get the exact same crit chance.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Tony "Kill Securer" White is doing good work.

With regards to Tac Sense vs. Aggression, once you step up to Impossible then Aggression becomes the logical choice - -5 to the enemy's hit odds achieves very little if you're not hunkered down, and if you are hunkered down then you can't see them anyway. And if you're letting multiple people see you (and thus get shots on you) you're even more boned. Compare with Aggression, which even at its worst is +10% insurance against a low damage roll, and at its best can push your crit chance up to the point where you can consider a crit "reliable". That's very specific to how much Impossible changes the dynamics of a straight-up firefight though, and on Classic and below Tac Sense makes a lot more sense, especially in the early game.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The "use your pistol to get aliens low for capturing" thing is why I never research the foundry project that gives +crit for pistols. Nothing's worse than trying to knock a couple of hit points off a perfectly placed alien to improve your capture odds, but you crit and kill it instead.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The big win for building satellites in batches of 1 is when you're rushing out as many as possible in the first month, and don't actually know how many you'll be able to make (because it depends on what you get as loot from the first UFO). You queue up as many satellites as you can build with one additional uplink, and then when it's time to build the uplink you cancel as many as necessary to be able to afford it.

After that initial rush it's largely pointless busywork, though I still do it if I think I'm going to be tight on money and an extra $50 now is going to be worth more than having another country covered next month.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
There's a ramp made of wreckage that gets you onto the ship near the bow, rather than going through the hold. Even without the mobility enhancing armour or genemods.

Also, making your slow guys run around the people ahead of them (instead of moving the people ahead first to clear the way) makes them even slower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

DatonKallandor posted:

I didn't say it can't be managed. It said it's bullshit. It's bullshit because it auto-fails you two missions without letting you play them. The fact it lets you choose which two missions to auto-fail, and that the panic fallout from those is easy to math out (even though it's hidden, which is another layer of bullshit) doesn't change that. It's still auto-failing two missions without letting you play them, no matter how well you're doing on research, money or recruits.

You said it was "entirely random" with "no skill component", which is straight-up wrong because making compromises between managing panic and getting your desired mission reward is a skill. Being forced to make a decision instead of being able to just do everything and get all the benefits is straight-up just good game design. Being able to snowball an early edge into being able to completely ignore the panic game is a terrible decision from a game design perspective, since now you're doing three times as many pointless mop-up missions (extra tedium), and you're removing even more difficulty from the game as you progress. The stock game already gives you too much of a cakewalk victory lap, I have no idea why anyone would think making that start earlier yet require even more missions is a good change.

Also I think people are confusing "complexity" with "strategic depth", especially when they suggest that UFO Defense had a deep strategic layer. There really wasn't an awful lot of depth, despite the complexity.

• Locked thread