Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

DatonKallandor posted:

They also got automatic free shot on enemies moving within x distance of the SHIV (and unless my game is bugged, with no cap on the number of times it can happen). I've had a single SHIV blast a Muton 3 times in one Muton movement. It's still bullshit the SHIV doesn't get the MEC line of heavy weapons though, since they clearly start with the same one.

The MEC and SHIV have different miniguns. The MEC does 4-6 damage and cannot suppress, the SHIV does 5-7 and can suppress. Additionally, MEC weapons end up closer to anti-tank guns than heavy machine guns. The dynamic of SHIVs have changed since EW. MECs are now tanks and SHIVs are disposable mid-to-high level infantry.

fakeedit: looking at the stats, a SHIV is more accurate, does more damage, and has more base health than a standard (no Second Wave) heavy. Alloy and Hover Shivs have just one less HP than a Heavy Colonel in Titan Armor and have 10 more aim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

Ceebees posted:

That was my experience with EW as well. If i didn't know better i'd hazard a guess that they tilted the ratios in favor of filling your roster with heavies and snipers.

Out of five rookies I sent out on a mission, 4 became snipers, the last was KIA. I don't know if it there was a tilt towards heavies, but I am getting way too many snipers.

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

Felinoid posted:

Training Roulette.

I've seen this used countless times through out the thread and I am getting tired of it. When discussing the balance of a classes abilities, saying "but if it had these abilities from other classes" is not a valid position. For any argument about balance in the basic mechanics of the game, any New Wave option, but especially Training Roulette, cannot be used. The game was balanced based on the assumption that you are playing it vanilla, which means every class has a set ability tree, there are set scores for incoming rookies and set increases on promotion. This means that Heavies don't have Deep Pockets, Snipers don't have Rapid Reaction or Sentinel, and only Supports get Sprinter. It doesn't matter how amazing a class can be with New Wave options, how they are balanced is based on an unaltered game.

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

Onmi posted:

Ah EXALT, the Cult of Sirius to the Mec Troopers SELF and the Bio-Troopers... whatever the mutant group is called.

I wonder if it was intentional to make me think of apocalypse with Enemy within?

The EXALT/Cult of Sirius connection is definitely intentional, but I think the others are more coincidental. MECs and gene-mods don't share the same traits as androids and mutants.

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

Using Training Roulette, build the worst possible four man team, arm them with default equipment, and assault either the Alien Base or a battleship.

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

FredMSloniker posted:

On a note unrelated to contests and the bounty thereof, how long after I finish a covert op will a sweep be worth doing? I've managed to get burned both ways in this game (doing it too soon and waiting too long), so I'd like to know.

I'm usually swimming in money by the time EXALT appears, so I sweep pretty much right after an op or, if it is close to the end of the month, wait until the end of the fiscal twelfth. I have a very aggressive anti-EXALT policy.

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

FredMSloniker posted:

I thought you wouldn't find anything if you swept right after an op? That's what happened to me that made me think I needed to wait a bit.

If you need more time, just do regularly scheduled sweeps once or twice a month. It's been a bit since I played EW, so I don't remember my exact timing.

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

Saint Isis
Hoss Delgado

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

Bruceski posted:

Alex "Shellshock" Johnson seems best for the perma-panic.

I support this name.

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

Throwing my lot in with the Jade Star

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

zyxophoj posted:

Can someone explain how flying units can sneak in through the window ... of an underground base?

Bradford mentions that they are coming through "the caverns", presumably they descended into the caverns from the surface and then approached the base.

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

While the LP does demonstrate how amazing ITZ is, I'm still probably going to favor Double Tap in my games. From what I'm seeing ITZ is great if you can set up a chain, but Double Tap is still more reliable. In my games, I tend to encounter some situations where ITZ would be nice to have, but not often enough for me to consider investing too seriously in it.

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

Flesnolk posted:

The whole thing kind of falls flat when you realise it's sorta set up as "Take problem from Mass Effect, then have X-COM curbstomp it in the course of a couple paragraphs." While that's a bit of an exaggeration at a couple points, you can't introduce a conflict then immediately kill it dead and expect your story to have any tension or interest. There were a couple interesting ideas in there but the execution isn't good enough to give much credit there.

While there are a few contrived "X-COM wins because X-COM/arbitrarily overpowers psi-powers", a significant portion of the Mass Effect problems would be curbstomped by X-COM simply due to their massive technological advantage. While the rest of the galaxy is still using bullets, X-COM is fully equipped with plasma rifles. Titan armor alone would protect from most guns, then they add shields. If the fic had incorporated Enemy Within, X-COM would rule the galaxy. Granted, this requires the assumption that it is possible for humans to synthesize Alien Alloys, Elerium, and possibly Meld. However, all of this is just an argument that they could easily win most of the battles, not that there is any actual tension in the story.
It is interesting for the first few chapters, but once they start focusing on Shepard, who is even more of a messiah than he is in the games, it losses that interest. I do give it credit for making Udina a likable character however.

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

Jobbo_Fett posted:

You mean like this?

If the gun isn't incredibly heavy (Which it probably isn't), "one-handing" a sniper isn't exactly the hardest thing to do. I'd just be worried about the recoil.

Which is why they can't move and shoot. They either take a full turn to get into position, fire, and handle recoil, or they move. The not-Squad Sight option (which I'm not even going to bother looking up the name of) represents the sniper being able to quickly set up and fire, though they get a penalty because they fired in haste.

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

Roar posted:

So does Bud Light but it's not exactly premium.

You are severely underestimating the effect of a glass bottle on a drink's perceived value.

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

Part of me wonders if SHIVs can turn the valves and, if so, what an all SHIV ending cutscene to the dam mission would look like.

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

For the final episode, Jade should replace the soundtrack with the works of the JAIDS Orchestra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

Melanion posted:

In my game once I'd gotten to the point where fun dollars were no longer an issue I went even more insane with the hiring/firing eugenics than Jade did. By the time I was ready to launch the final mission, this was the entirety of my barracks:

(My MSPaint skills are beyond criticism)
All of them had 12+ base movement before abilities. The MECs are Heavy and Support, since I hadn't played Enemy Within before watching the LP and I had no disagreements with Jade's assessment of MEC abilities. I did get absurdly more use out of the proximity launcher than I thought I would.

My 'special person' ended up being the rightmost support because he went psionic first and thus trained out faster than the others. The other support and heavy went psi in the same testing and the assault was the only one to get it in a batch of him and both snipers. That final mission was a little too easy with six of these monsters, if I'm being honest.

I kind of sandbagged more than Jade did and waited until I had full specialty lasers and basic plasma rifles before doing the alien base, and overall I think it made my experience easier than what we see in the LP. I'd be interested to hear others' opinions on drawing things out vs rushing through story stuff as soon as you've got the tech to even have a chance at it.

For reference on how long I draw out my game, I'm pretty sure I was saw a sectopod in the Alien Base.

• Locked thread