Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Two new X-Com LPs in one day. OH MY. Definitely following this one to see what goes on. A few things in the new X-Com really bug me, so it'll be nice to see if I've secretly been doing it wrong all this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Also, to snag We Have Ways after the game start is two measly satellites. It's a nice bonus to HAVE, but not so great for starting with, considering you can get it later assuming South 'Murrica stays on the project.
Still better than Europe's bonus either way.

Edit: Stick with it, the name will eventually make sense.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Eifert Posting posted:

Yeah. I almost always roll with two supports cause flanking is so easy with them.

In my last full game, my supports ALWAYS died.

It was pretty much like Oldschool X-Com for any support.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

On the same note as not being able to click after sprinting on Meld, it is incredibly frustrating to scramble a second interceptor.

And yeah. You get corpses, you just disintegrate the weapon fragments.

Snipers have one bit thing over heavies and assaults. They're (usually) reliable for their 1d3 kills per turn. Heavies and Assaults tend to miss or get shot with alarming regularity.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Also, try not to be too elegant with your timings

:suicide:

(I had to wait for cash from the month ticking over. Then build a workshop. Workshops take 10 days to build. Satellite Nexuses take 21 turns. In hindsight I should've just built another Uplink, since they take 14 days to build.)

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Bruceski posted:

Perfect chance to hit,
turns out it was ninety-nine.
That's XCOM, baby.

On the alien Base operation I actually managed to miss a 95% shot.

Then hit with a 16% stun shot.

:xcom:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Eifert Posting posted:

Look you wouldn't ask a little person to compete in the high jump. Don't ask me to do art.

I would if they were competing against other little people.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Jade Star posted:

Operation Glass Summer

The first order of business is to draft up a new rookie. Finn Turne was promoted to a sniper, and I don't need three of them. So she's benched for a while until someone gets wounded or we pick up a squad size upgrade.

Hilda Kartal - 32 Will 70 Aim

Hilda is a strong recruit with above default aim, but fairly less will power than default. Until we get some research done there isn't much more to discuss before a mission. We still haven't researched even the first new items for our soldiers to take into the field. We are getting a lot of missions done very early though, this is mission number 4 on the ninth day of the game.

Is it worthwhile to fire recruits with worse than usual aim? Or should X-com just take all comers?
Sprinter and Squad-sight are two abilities that just seem like non-choices because of how amazing they are.

As for the medal, I'm always a fan of more will, so +2 will per nationality on mission. And it can have a Tropico Crossover name - Spirit of La Presidente.
Mostly because I can't come up with something that will be super-amusing for Jade to mis-pronounce.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I usually find plenty of opportunities to use Squadsight.
Also, no other skill allows even the option of providing fire support across the map. Or on the far side of the ship. Where Snapshot has the same issues as everyone else with Line of Sight.

Obviously, the new medal should take the Defense bonus. Named TacosTacosTacos because Gir would want it that way.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Jade Star posted:

Veloxyll was the only poster to voice an opinion on the Urban Combat Badge, so I took his idea and made it a little less stupid.

I think that is an acceptable modification to his original suggestion to name the bade TacosTacosTacos. Veloxyll also chose the defense power which is the correct choice. We have one of these badges awaiting to be awarded to a soldier.

I am 100% okay with this.
Even if I'm surprised no-one else noticed the second medal. Do you people not WATCH the videos?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Brainamp posted:

Play them enough and you can see sort of where the trigger for each drop is. There are a few that aren't based on movement, but most are.

I finished the game and didn't realise they were VIP location based. It's only this LP that made me realise how their spawning works.

apostateCourier posted:

Ragnar "Berserksgangur" Ragnarsson

Also a future vote for this. He will no doubt die to reaction fire, but cest la bol de sang.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Jadestar has the power to warp SA? I'm terrified now. I already lost my carefully tuned avatar to the depradations of some guy who didn't like what I posted.

It is his counterpart to his Jaids.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

The first thing I thought when I was looking at the defensive buff was "GIR! DEFENSIVE MODE!" And went from there.

MAybe I could've come up with something better. Or someone else could have, but everyone was too busy thinking that snap shot was the correct choice.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Tactical Sense because +defense when you can see multiple enemies is the time you want +defense.

drat Good Ground because it doesn't take long for pistols to be of questionable utility. Though Gunslinger does have its oments when your sniper is running through UFOs, since sometimes you will have to move to set up for a new shot, and Gunslinger lets them put at least some hurt out the turn they move.

Shredder Rockets because it kills all basic foes, sets up captures on 5 hp foes, and lets you blow up more cover, and exposes giant fuckoff enemies to bonus damage for a turn or two.

Revive I am quite a fan of revive. Sure you won't always get a knockdown instead of just a flat out dead. But when you do, it means you can get that soldier back into the fight for the rest of the mission.
Suppression is nice, I guess, but things go wrong. -30 aim on one enemy for 2 shots worth of ammo has its moments, but only if your support/heavy is there while it's happening. And it assumes that he can't just shoot the troublemaker, since he already has something resembling a shot.

The first rule of X-Com is sometimes things go wrong. You can have your guy you've revived on rearguard for the mission if you don't want to use the medkit charges. Without it, you still burn a medkit charge, but you're down a man for the rest of the mission regardless.

The medal should be Thin Men Umbrella. Since you got it for surviving Thin men.
Edit: And the +1 Aim and Will for each no casualty mission. It is a better and more versatile bonus. So the medal can go to any soldier instead of snipers.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I actually still really think they should've made Squadsight the default Sniper skill. And maybe change Snapshot to not let them Squadsight after moving.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

chiasaur11 posted:

I'm not sure that's a good example, considering the details of the engagement.

Denver's play was offensive, true enough...

I thought it was meant to be the game of maximum offense v maximum defense. And one team won HARD (I was at work while the game was on, okay.)

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Jade has been surprisingly successful at not taking casualties so far. Though maybe once the stronger aliens show up we'll start seeing some casualties.

Also doesn't help the aliens' case that Jade is a dirty cheater!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

In my 4 man playthrough, I punched an alien through the hull into the power-core.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Coolguye posted:

That's slander. Vahlen isn't power-hungry. She's an amiable, efficient, unrepentant torturer and cold blooded murderess, as charming and vicious as Patrick Bateman ever was. Seriously, you make her sound like some sort of megalomanaic. :v:

She's still less evil than Dr Shen. Though Jade needs to hurry up and get MECs so I don't feel like I'm spoiling things to talk about them.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

My best effort was charging in with most of the squad dead, but only 1 alien on a battleship, I was sure

And it was an Ethereal commander. I equipped my Stun rod. Stepped around the corner to look.

There was another Ethereal. With a Heavy Plasma.
I missed my shot to kill it.

RIP Soldier. You were the bravest of us.

In other news: Snap shot is so awful :( I tried one since there were so many people arguing for one.
She gets 1 more square to sight range'd so much. And this is WITH partial cover = full.
Doesn't help that her aim is rubbish. Trying to level the B team and ugh.

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 20, 2014

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Fumbles posted:

On the topic of Thin Men, I've been playing through my first run on Classic Difficulty and I just came up to Portent. Normally I take the hits as they come, reloading only when an obvious glitch (100% miss, taking a path I didn't tell them to take, their turn being skipped) kills a soldier that normally shouldn't have died, but man.

gently caress Portent.

I never knew how terrible that Thin Man Rain was until their innate +10 aim from the LPR was given ANOTHER +10 aim and +10 crit from Classic Difficulty. They're goddamned air platoon snipers and in that specific map the sight angles are so piss-poor you need to use tricks like that rocket abuse from the video (thanks for showing me that!) to keep your soldiers alive on Classic. Your tips on positioning people and taking all SCOPES/Medkits to that mission really saved lives, along with the MEC troopers ability to instantly explode vehicles with its cover-destruction ability.

Portent also has a bad habit of coming super early. So you've got basic equipment to deal with that mission. And the spawns have a bad habit of double teaming you. It is a brutal brutal mission that shows up way too early.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

my dad posted:

Snakemen Chrysalids are the main reason you want to rush lasers as soon as possible. It might take a couple of volleys, but at least you stand a chance if you take chrysalids on 1 or 2 at a time with most of your team present and armed with laser rifles. If you're fighting them with normal guns, you might as well just stand there saying *pew* *pew* *pew* - It's equally effective.

Not true. You don't have to reload when saying pew pew pew. Lasers are really useful though, and you should get them as soon as you can.

Thin men fill an important niche though. It's a shame Floaters aren't better at using Launch to flank better, since, compared to Thin-men and Mutons, floaters don't really have a niche.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

"Miss 90%"

Bonus points if it's on an Arc Thrower carrier.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Roctavian posted:

Another vote for DarkSydePhil!

My only problem with Thin Men is that they only have one outfit. Maybe I just like dressing up my XCOM soldiers too much. I just don't think dozens of ugly white dudes in blue suits infiltrating a single area is particularly inconspicuous.

Especially if it's, say, Nigeria.

Clearly you've not had much experience with Corporate America.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Isobel "Miss 90%" Guiterez - Heavy

Keeping with my previous idea, and since

quote:

Catalina "Urban" Sprahl
is the only assault, our other heavy needs to be Miss 90%

Everyone should experience stray rockets.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Fellis posted:

Thanks, Gunderson

Thunderson

Or Blants.

Maybe Blundersun.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Eifert Posting posted:

I don't care who and
I don't care why but
The correct choice is punchy.

You could give them a flamethrower.

If you hate them more than life itself.

Which also makes heavy the best choice. Because then when they pretend to be an assault and charge in, the other guy(s) they inevitably reveal has trouble hitting them.

Which I guess means Zhang.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

RBA Starblade posted:

I only ever take the electro-pulse because gently caress sectopods, I'm just saying it's an option.

Turns out that the Electro-pulse doesn't stop their charge attack thing. Still worth it.

Looks like Prox mines + a Psi rift. on the 3 Sectoid commanders on board a supply ships.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

SovietPotatoe posted:

The Aliens actually avoid them so the only way to ever get any use out of them is to drop it right on top of them.

Does that include when pushing them into new cover via Flush?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Ramps are crazy weird for LOS.
You know you could've just run someone ACROSS the doorway to trigger the aliens

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Jade Star posted:

Checked my sign up mail today... I have a sign up from Chris Salid.

Pretty sure this is a trap.

No way. He just wants to give everyone a kiss.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I am sad I did not get a screenshot of the cryssalid swarm I faced on the bridge map.

I think there were about 10? including zombies.
Two groups of 3 and a bunch of Civilians converted to Zombies.

Damage roulette is a beautiful thing sometimes.

And I agree on C&P vs Lightning Reflexes. C&P is really good. But being able to harmlessly discharge overwatches is even moreso.
Being able to run and gun, and use up their overwatch (with the dashing defense bonus) is a lot of damage you don't have to worry about.

And then your Assault is properly close for point blank murder. Which is a lot better than walking to C&P range only to get vapourised by a 13 damage overwatch crit.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Sorites posted:

The best thing about Close and Personal is the way it interacts with other extra-attack perks. Rapid Fire is the obvious one for three shots in one turn, but if you run Training Roulette (everyone should run Training Roulette :colbert:) you might luck into a Bullet Swarm Assault. Close and Personal, plus Bullet Swarm, plus Rapid Fire is four shotgun blasts in one player phase if you set it all up right.

On the other hand you also get heavies with no bullet swarm at all. Which makes them kinda underwhelming.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

ulmont posted:

You really need to do some Training Roulette runs at the end of this, because you'll find yourself using things like Flush and Executioner. When they are up against items more like Revive (with one medikit use) and Holo-Targeting, you might take them a bit more.

I really wish Training Roulette was a bit less super-random. Revive is okay with some of the other options. Unlike Flush. If Flush just made them step out of cover instead of run to new cover it might be something choicelike.
Or you can get flush on a heavy so they actually hit things occasionally :D

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Feb 26, 2014

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

W.T. Fits posted:

HEAT Ammo in EW makes me mad, because they basically nerfed it to make certain enemies harder to deal with, but didn't bother to buff Rapid Reaction to make it a more attractive alternative.

So now instead of a choice between a great ability and a lackluster one, you get a choice between an okay ability and a lackluster one. :effort:

HEAT ammo is pretty much always the correct choice. Even with Training Roulette.
The nice thing is when you get a Close Quarters, HEAT toting, Holo Targetting, Rapid firing assault. The only thing you wish for then is lightning reflexes (which I had on a heavy who had the job of paving the way for my assault to kill everything).

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Hi, I'm Jade Star and I'm going to just stand here instead of advance on the aliens when I'm out of stun range.

I feel that Jade's stunning techniques should not be used as an example.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

The Casualty posted:

I kinda miss cramming three fire teams and a tank into the Skyranger, too.

And then having half of them die on turn 2 to a blaster bomb all up in your business.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Neophyte posted:

Samantha "99" Beers, for obvious reasons. Also for Agent 99! :swoon: (when she flubs a shot you can say "missed it by THAT much")

Seconding 99.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Zudrag posted:

To my knowledge you can't flamethrower mechanical units, so Seekers would be unflameable.

Also, there best be a SHIVCOM video at some point or this will not be a very good guide on how to X-Com.

But SHIVs can't blow up walls, leap through windows, or stun aliens. They're missing half the abilities of X-Com.

On that note, how are SHIVs with stairs etc? My last playthrough was a 4 troop challenge, so there wasn't really the opportunity to get my SHIV on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Or you could have a sniper throw out a sensor thingy and reveal the seekers with that, then apply liberal amounts of murder.

• Locked thread