Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Green Intern posted:

If you get a string of bad luck, you can experience the phenomenon I like to call The Panic Chain, where a soldier panics, shoots another one of your soldiers, panicking the second soldier. the process continues until your squad is dead, your rip out all of your hair, or the RNG takes pity on you. Whichever comes first.

That's a base lie.

The RNG does not know the meaning of the word "Pity".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

apostateCourier posted:

Flamethrower
+Huge AOE
+Sets things on fire (EXPLOSIONS!)
+Decent damage
+Killing things with fire is pretty cool
-Your robot man is slow
-DESTROYS RESOURCES (fragments, alloys, elerium, meld)
-Robotic enemies are immune
-Limited ammo
-Friendly fire is a thing
-No really your robot man is quite slow, so proper positioning to use the flamethrower can be difficult
-Best used for killing hordes of weak things, which you should be able to handle just fine

You forgot:

+ Causes everything set on fire to panic. EVERY. THING.

It may not be the most useful tactical maneuver, but watching an ethereal skip its turn of mind-controlling your assault dudes because it's flailing around with its robes on fire will never get old.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

MechaCrash posted:

I don't remember all the details, but I know that the research tree could get a little buggy in spots. If you researched a couple of things out of order, you would lock yourself out of the final armor, which you need to beat the game.

More precisely, if you ever interrogated a Tasoth Commander for any reason whatsoever you got locked out of the Leviathan (IE, the underwater equiv of the Avenger) and the game became unwinnable.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

It's worth it to have a few of each but you don't really need four of them unless you have nothing better to do with your XCOM funbucks.

Well, more workshops mean more engineers and bigger discounts on everything you construct, but once you've researched everything those labs are just taking up space.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Jade Star posted:

Operation Deadly Canadian

:words: about Mimetic Skin

Combined with Gunslinger and Low Profile this can make your covert operative pretty ludicrous, too. Aside from getting that one achievement, I can't really see any good reason to ever use the other upgrade, though...

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Zomborgon posted:

Some time ago, I actually found a pretty well-made XCOM fanfic. It is, however, a crossover with Mass Effect and it got discontinued in the freaking climax:

XCOM: Second Contact

It does really well at characterizing a post-Etherial War mentality, especially in how foreign relations and future scientific development work out. If anyone does read it and wants to know how the ending would have played out, the author's notes got posted here:
http://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/xcom-second-contact-me-xcom-fifth-thread.268597/page-34#post-12390781

I think I remember that one. Is that the one where humanity goes straight into the committing war crimes business after the First Contact battle?

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Zomborgon posted:

They drop neutered chryssalids, yeah, but they use that as leverage to pretty much end the Batarian slave business.

I was referring to the X-Com style "interrogation" of captured Turian soldiers.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Zomborgon posted:

Indeed, and it's still worth the $30 anyway. Seriously, anyone who's on the fence at this point, just buy this game. You will thank us in the future.

You mean before or after the first three sleepless nights of just-one-more-UFO ?

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Glazius posted:

drat, how did I keep missing this?

Anyway, it seems like Sectopods are something you have to focus-fire to even have a chance at stopping in one turn. Must be fun trying to balance that with whatever else you have to focus on.

Oh, they absolutely are. Triggering a sectopod /and/ the Ethereal Commander during one of your own turns is the kind of thing that /remains/ an "Oh, crap" moment even near late-game -- depending on positioning and how many of your units have already spent their moves, they can wind up killing two of your dudes and mind control a third, the MCed trooper will likely have flanking shots on at least one of your other remaining units, and if you try to move the Sectopod gets a free reaction shot because gently caress you.

And especially in Enemy Within, between the Sectopod's ridiculous stack of HP and innate damage resistance and the Ethereal's little bullshit reflecting power, killing them both before they wreck your day can be hard...

My general recommendation: If you have a rocket available, use it and to hell with collateral damage. Try to at least catch the sectopod and its little helper drones in the blast radius; sure, they're only annoyances compared to the big threats, but if you can take them off the field immediately it makes life that much easier. Once that's done, unload on the Ethereal first - if everyone's behind cover the gently caress-you murder beam has a good chance of missing, but if the Ethereal is still standing by the time it's their turn you wind up with at least one of your units mind controlled.

kaosdrachen fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jan 21, 2015

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Sair posted:

Fun fact: low profile lets you trigger mimetic skin on half cover.

My favorite combo for my covert ops infiltrator. Well, that and Gunslinger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

apostateCourier posted:

Shellshock having 161 Will is insane. For reference, an Ethereal has 145 Will on Classic.

181 defensive Will, 201 with inspire- which you'll have going into a fight with an ethereal- means they literally cannot mind control her. She's also immune to panic.
181 offensive Will with inspire. The formula for Mind Control is 20 + Will - target Will = hit%. After a mind fray (same formula, base 50 instead of 20, does 5 damage and reduces Aim and Will by 25), that's a staggering 81% to mind control an Ethereal. It's even easier if it's significantly wounded- an extra 5-10%.
There might be a 10% penalty for being on Classic, but I honestly can't remember if that's accurate.

Shellshock is back with a vengeance.

At 201 will, wouldn't the neural feedback gene mod basically instantly kill an Ethereal attempting mind control?

• Locked thread