Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

It's kind of embarrassing how much time I've sunk into this game. It might be a really simple game underneath all the numbers, but it's a fun game and easy to pick up and play.

ReturnOfFable posted:

I always wanted to see someone do another narrative LP with Enemy Within. So much of this game is unexplained that it just begs the player to put their own spin on it. And all this speculation about the XCOM and how it gets started is awesome.

Unless you went all Otto Zander on it, this one technically already has an origin story. Sort of. I'd elaborate, but spoilers.

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Xenoborg posted:

does the Asia bonus only reduce the money cost of projects or the resource cost as well?

Asia only reduces the monetary cost.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

SpRahl posted:

Workshops aside, is there really any reason to use up space and resources on Laboratories? Outside of the very early game research speed isnt to big of a problem, maybe they are useful on marathon mode but Ive never really played with that.

Nope. If you want slightly faster research sure, but they are like the least useful building in the game.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Burzmali posted:

mechs draw too much attention.

Just means you need more mecs to divide the attention. :colbert:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Jade Star posted:

This bug/feature has been in the game since the first release. It is not new, and it has been known for a very long time and yet remains in the game. If Jake Solomon hasn't fixed this problem in all this time, I say it is now a feature. :xcom:

On top of that, another overwatch bug that squadsight snipers have is that they can use their pistols at squadsight ranges. It doesn't come up much, but it's something for those gunslingers to utilize.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

SpRahl posted:

When a soldier double kills sectoids by killing the mind melding one does that soldier get experiance as if he killed 2 sectoids or just 1?

It counts for two. It's an auto-level for a fresh rookie basically.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

MadScientistWorking posted:

Late game mechs can apparently spend their entire turn cloaked even after attacking making it useful to get into range of overwatch enemies without triggering the effect.

What? Mec's can't cloak. And nothing stays cloaked after attacking.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

FairGame posted:

There are units that can see around cloaking, right?

Nope.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

/\/\/\Edit: that reminds me--certain enemies have the ability to reveal mimetic guys when they're too close. Sectopods, sectoid commanders, and ethereals at least. Crysalids too I think. Though I'm not sure on that last one because I remember a recent game where a crysalid got close to a mimetic and didn't break the effect. It's the alien counterpart to the bioelectric skin thing that reveals cloaked seekers.

Only chryssalids should be able to break cloak, and that's a proximity thing. Also pretty buggy.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

GuavaMoment posted:

Do Psi-abilities still not break cloak, or did they wisely fix that?

Both Mindfray and Mind Control do now. Not gonna bother checking to see if Psi Panic breaks it.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Veloxyll posted:

(I had to wait for cash from the month ticking over. Then build a workshop. Workshops take 10 days to build. Satellite Nexuses take 21 turns. In hindsight I should've just built another Uplink, since they take 14 days to build.)

4 uplinks in a square and two off by themselves is good enough to map every country. It's honestly an easier option if you're having panic problems than waiting on a nexus to finish. Plus it leaves plenty of room for all the fun buildings.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

RickVoid posted:

:negative:

This is why I rarely do this stuff. Goddammit.

:ssh: There's a website for syllable counting.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

ZenVulgarity posted:

nine five percent shot
no way will this ever miss
another dead soldier

Of course it'll miss. Why on earth would you take nine five percent shots?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Green Intern posted:

Four out of the six user-submitted recruits we've seen have chosen the "Utility" armor deco (mine included). Do we know something the others don't?

You like your popped reinforced collars?

That map that Jade got actually has several "entrances". One being the big strip, but others include off to the side in the forest and on the other side of the UFO, which is really disorienting if you get used seeing it from the front.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Fister Roboto posted:

I believe I read or heard somewhere that dashing (moving double distance in a single click, not moving and then moving again) increases the aim penalty for overwatch shots against you. Is there any truth to that?

It adds a -20 penalty to the shot. On top of the base -20 overwatch shots already have, it's sorta like being in high cover, but giving them the chance to shoot you at all is still risking it.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Pvt.Scott posted:

Like some actual cammo or something.

Don't know if it works with EW, but there was a mod for that.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Jade Star posted:

Really strongly considering it. Kind of hesitant to do so though with my luck of breaking things.

When in doubt, just verify your files. It fixes everything short of a melted graphics card.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Tithin Melias posted:

I realise it's only tangentially related to XCOM, but have there been any decent LPs of Xenonauts done?

What the gently caress did you do to your hand?

No, mostly cause it's still in beta. And he punched a dude the wrong way.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Jimmy4400nav posted:

In announcer voice!

Doesn't really roll off the tongue for the intro song.

Also, I've gotta say that the +Aim option on the medal is better, cause you can never have too much aim. High Will loses value unless the soldier goes psionic.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Psion posted:

Sprinter giving you three is probably the strongest case for even having a Support at all.

Remember, it's not just three. It's three on both moves. So yeah, Supports go beep beep and zoom.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Fister Roboto posted:

a grenade shoved up your support's rear end.

Aliens don't tend to use grenades unless they can hit multiple targets with it, at least that's I've seen.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Coffeehitler posted:

And as has been pointed out, you can replicate the +Aim bonus through gene-mod and item (SCOPE, Lt. Plasma Rifle) use.

By this logic, will is even easier to boost. Slap a mind shield on somebody and that's a flat +30 to their will. Aim has more use to a soldier all throughout the game.

Also, The Shot Heard Round the World if it goes to aim.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Sloober posted:

An assault could accomplish about the same thing. Squadsight can't really be replicated.

So could a heavy. :v:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

RBA Starblade posted:

Isn't ITZ kind of crap for a squadsight sniper? Who's it going to flank?

Sounds like you don't use enough explosives.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

RBA Starblade posted:

Right, but if you've just triggered them, how likely are they to be flying as opposed to in cover (can cyberdiscs take cover at all)? Forgot about berserkers and chryssalids and had no idea about ethereals though, so that's better. I suppose with collateral damage it's more of a sure thing, too.

Floaters will just as likely start flying as hop into cover. And no, cyberdiscs cannot take cover.

RBA Starblade posted:

True, but I'd probably just finish those guys off with my mec or assault anyway. With snapshot/ITZ you only need to use one soldier to knock the group out, instead of two (assuming you don't miss).

You're missing the point. You don't need to flank, the enemy just needs to not have cover. Grenades, rockets, and collateral damage all provide set ups that don't require a sniper to move in.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Psion posted:

"do I get 2 shots always"

Every other turn. :ssh:

Jade Star posted:

Colonel level skill choices when it's still March in game.

That reminds me. One of my favorite changes in EW is that it takes so much longer to level up people. Yeah, it might be harder, but it feels better compared to EU where a rookie could be a colonel in like a month.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Stark for Tony, and put that aim medal on Tiny Turtle and the defense one on Sprahl.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Veloxyll posted:

I am 100% okay with this.
Even if I'm surprised no-one else noticed the second medal. Do you people not WATCH the videos?

Yes, but the SS vs SS argument takes precedence. :v:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Piell posted:

I've never realized that the enemy spawning was based on the movement of the VIP, guess that's why I always have to deal with three Thin Men spawning in every turn.

Play them enough and you can see sort of where the trigger for each drop is. There are a few that aren't based on movement, but most are.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

ReturnOfFable posted:

Something to note from Portent is that if you run through the street, you see more bodies that look similar to the survivor. Bradford remarks over the radio that they were not killed by plasma weapons but by bullets. Just something interesting to notice.

Also I tried this mission last night and got my rear end handed to me. Didn't even consider using the rooftops and got overwhelmed in the street by the Sectoid drop.

Also that our survivor has nothing regarding a french accent and looks nothing like a soldier.

Anyway, it's not even a choice, but the medal power should be the +Aim and Will.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Felinoid posted:

Enemies seem to have a slightly longer sight range than you do, maybe half a square.

Nope. Humans have one square more sight range than aliens.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Felinoid posted:

Then how the hell did they keep seeing me when I couldn't see them before the Battle Scanner? :confused:

A bug. Generally, if something like happens, assume it was a bug.

Also, fun thing, a battle scanner can uncloak Seekers.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

RBA Starblade posted:

Bio-electric skin has that long a range? I've never used it.

It's about half as long as a soldier's sight range I think. I've never counted, but it's pretty short.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Zebrin posted:

What do each of the classes Mec into anyways? I keep hearing things about how mecs for each class differ, but no one says anything about HOW they are different.

Jade will probably cover it soon, but each class gets a different bonus when the get turned into a mec trooper. Going down the list:

Heavies inflict a -20 aim penalty on the closest enemy.
Snipers get plus +10 aim and crit chance if they don't move before firing.
Assaults get something like 30% damage resistance from enemies within 4 tiles.
Supports give +10 defense to soldiers in cover around them.

The suits themselves don't change based on class.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

A Curvy Goonette posted:

Did EW ever fix the fact that sniper overwatch shots take a super long time to fire?

Not really. Though it's got a contender with the Mec overwatch now.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Tzarnal posted:

What happened to the drat colours, everything wrong and oversaturated.

It's called using a video camera. :v:

It's also what we routinely mock here on the LP subforum.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Stallion Cabana posted:

is that Paperlion's friend in that video

Reading through the comments, the person who made the video despises DSP, as is correct.

Feinne posted:

One amusing note: it seems the video series cuts off at episode 88, where people who had the stomach to watch it suggest that he realized he was 100% guaranteed to lose no matter what he did thanks to the doom track and a looming abduction mission.

So yeah he's doing all that reloading and poo poo and still found a way to lose the game.

People have talked about having a hard time at easy difficulty. A bad xcom player won't be saved by savescumming.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Pvt.Scott posted:

So, as a guy that actually enjoys third-person cover shooters (and the awesome first-person cover mechanics in Far Cry 3) is The Bureau with checking out?

It's a decent enough game. Like Bruceski said, most people that poo poo all over it have either never played it or are looking at it to be Enemy Unknown.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Mighty Dicktron posted:

You don't make an entire squad of them like you can with Assaults and Supports and be fine, but you should probably have one in any squad.

You take that back. :colbert:

Honestly, I always keep at least two heavies in my squad whenever possible. They are only second to mecs at removing cover, and are pretty crucial for setting up controlled fights and kills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

I've always looked at it as a tutorial that doesn't tell you how to play, but how your attitude to fights should be.

"Oh, you've lost all but one guy in your squad and have lost all hope for victory? Good for you, get over it and win."

• Locked thread