Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fetucine
Oct 29, 2011
Enemy Unknown had a glitch where Disabling Shot actually gave a certain lategame enemy infinite overwatch shots, did EW fix that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetucine
Oct 29, 2011

Sloober posted:

The rest of the early aliens still show up sporadically throughout the game all the way to the end.

Except Seekers, apparently?

And really even "hits hard for the early game" isn't much of a characteristic past the very first crashed UFO. After you get burned once, you're going to approach future UFOs much more thoughtfully, and Outsiders will probably never get a hit on you. I usually don't let them get a single shot off unless I'm going for a capture.

Fetucine
Oct 29, 2011
Tiny Turtle. Heavy Mecs are best suited to punching things; -20 to enemy hit isn't as good as Lightning Reflexes, but when enemies are already getting docked 20 for Overwatch, it's pretty solid. Being able to run up to enemies (relatively) safely means you can punch more things.

Fetucine
Oct 29, 2011
The way I see it, either base Mec weapon can have the effect of 2 or 3 soldiers at once in the right situation. The flamethrower can oneshot most low-level enemies, while the punch can wipe out most of the HP of some of the toughest enemies in the game in one move.

The flamethrower gets less effective as the game goes on and sub-10 HP enemies get rarer and rarer, and you get more and more ways to deal with them easily. Still, that's the hardest part of the game; if you can get a Mec up and running early enough, it's a viable investment, just to help you get through those rough early months before you have good armor or high-level soldiers.

The KSM, though, gives extra move. That is amazing on its own, and comes into play on practically every move that Mec takes forever. The actual punch oneshots any early game enemy, and can take down any midgame enemy with only minor supporting fire (especially once you get the upgrade). It also works really well with some later Mec abilities and can potentially chump the worst enemy type in the game. The later you get in the game, the more useful punching things becomes.

Also punching things is fun, QED.

Fetucine
Oct 29, 2011
I've gotten tons of use out of Close and Personal, but I'm incredibly aggressive and use Assaults that scout waaaay ahead, and often end up running backwards to engage enemies they found once the rest of the squad catches up. I'm especially fond of C&P with Sectopods, you can consistently rip off half or 2/3rds of their HP in one turn with a C&P + Rapid Fire after a Shredder Rocket if you've got top-tier weapons.

That said, Lightning Reflexes is still insanely good and pretty clearly the better choice early in the game.

Fetucine
Oct 29, 2011

ReturnOfFable posted:

I'm very curious for why you guys went for Collateral Damage over the Flamethrower. Flamethrower just works so we well with clearing out groups of enemies and the range is really good on it.

They didn't, they went for Kinetic Strike over Flamethrower. Collateral Damage is the Squaddie ability of all Mec Troopers.

Fetucine
Oct 29, 2011

Doctor_Blueninja posted:

I wanted to ask you fellas this: Does having an Assault-based MEC mean that their Kinetic Strike will do more damage than normal? On all of my other playthroughs, I ran with Heavy-based MECs and Support-based MECs, and their Kinetic punches all did 12 damage out of the gate and then 18 once they received the upgrade. For giggles, I chopped the limbs off of one of my Assaults on my most recent playthrough and found that she could deck aliens for a full 18 damage without the upgrade.

Maybe they did it to throw Assault-based MECs a bone, considering how their mediocre ability basically mandates that you get them up close to the enemy for it to be worthwhile. It's just not listed anywhere, is the thing, so that's why I'm curious as to why I was getting the extra 6 points of damage.

Were you punching things you'd hit with Shredder Rocket?

Fetucine
Oct 29, 2011
CCS vs Bring 'em On is a tough choice for me, because I goddamn love Mimetic Skin assaults. CCS will activate whether you want it to or not, so your assault can end up blowing their cover in the middle of an enemy pack. But it makes Chrysalids complete and utter jokes at the same time and I love that.

The obvious solution is to run two Assaults! (Assault is the best class anyway :colbert:)

I didn't know Grenadier affected the specialty grenades, that makes it a bit more attractive. Still, there's more ways to get multiple Ghost Grenades on a map, and Danger Zone is really really good.

Fetucine
Oct 29, 2011

Promontory posted:

How and why are the aliens airdropping onto their own ship? :psyduck:

Just off-screen: giant cannons that fire aliens into the sky so they can fall back to earth (or their own ship, as it may be).

quote:

At 18:30 in the video a sectoid drops into a thin man cloud and is poisoned. Can all aliens be poisoned? It probably isn't a common occurrence in the single player campaign, but might be a fun trick in multiplayer mode.

There's a specialty grenade just for that! At least in EW. It sucks and I doubt anybody's ever used it, poison is nowhere near worth bothering with when you could be carrying a flashbang or a normal grenade instead.

Fetucine
Oct 29, 2011

JT Jag posted:

SHIVs were a nice tool to have on hand pre-Enemy Within, but mechs more or less rendered them obsolete.

I don't see it. EU SHIVs were had their niches, but were mostly kinda underwhelming. EW SHIVs and Mecs have completely different roles. Mecs are powerful ability platforms that can take a couple hits, defined primarily by the neat stuff they can do (BOOSH/flamethrower, collateral damage, Support mecs buffing everyone around them, Healing Mist, pulse, etc). SHIVs are unremarkable, but fast, reasonably powerful, sturdy, expendable assets.

A Mec holds back and provides soldiers with cool benefits, or rushes ahead to punch things and lob grenades across the map. A SHIV eats Overwatch shots and does solid damage with no strings attached. SHIVs are the Assaults of the robot world; Mecs are the Supports and Heavies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetucine
Oct 29, 2011
The special thing you get for the last mission can oneshot a cyberdisc, so if you got lucky with the rest of your team you could probably take out both in one turn, leaving any Sectoids you didn't mop up out of the gate and maybe a couple drones. I don't know if that counts as abuse if you want to use it again to deal with the second-to-last room though.

• Locked thread