Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Tiny Turtle seems the natural choice because his Aim growth would be better than current and none of the MEC activated abilities (all of which are pretty good) can miss anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I actually find the flamethrower really useful, personally. Sure, kinetic strike does 12 damage guaranteed if you can get within range with a single move, but flamethrower does 6 damage in a pretty hefty area and forces anything hit to run away, leaving them terribly vulnerable to everyone else on your team. It also destroys more cover.

On the other hand, it doesn't send the enemy catapulting through the air and doesn't have special cutscene kill animations for certain enemy types.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, there's that too. Personally I like both 1st tier MEC options and try to have one of each.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Nah, the grenade launcher doesn't make the flamethrower redundant. Flamethrowers do more damage and force the enemy to move, during which time they'll never enter cover. They cover completely different roles, really. The flamethrower is great for anti-melee purposes and for flushing a bunch of enemies out of cover, while the grenade launcher is good for finishing off weak enemies or chipping away at strong ones at long range.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

When I tried using it I tried placing them where I thought the enemy was going to go, and it never got triggered and kept beeping for the rest of the mission, so I swore them off entirely. Was that a bug, or was it patched later, or do you just always drop the mine right on top of an alien?

That's what happens to me, too. Always beebeebeeping the whole mission long, and it's even worse with multiple mines. I just use them as extra, higher-damage grenades instead of area denial because of that.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Green Intern posted:

I don't think anyone has mentioned the real reason the Fist is better than the flamethrower: unique enemy kill animations!

Zurai posted:

special cutscene kill animations for certain enemy types.

:colbert:

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Fetucine posted:

I'm especially fond of C&P with Sectopods, you can consistently rip off half or 2/3rds of their HP in one turn with a C&P + Rapid Fire after a Shredder Rocket if you've got top-tier weapons.

That said, Lightning Reflexes is still insanely good and pretty clearly the better choice early in the game.

That's funny, I'm especially fond of Lightning Reflexes with Sectopods, since they auto-overwatch with their high-damage weapon.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

It actually is possible for a Chryssalid to run down an X-Com operative. They're fast enough to catch up to a rookie or other squad member who doesn't have upgraded movement, even if they ran full speed, as long as they started out in or very near melee range with the target. Terrain also makes it easier because Chryssalids can jump over terrain of any height, while your soldiers may have to go around.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I like the highway maps because they're long, narrow maps with no large objects blocking lines of sight. They're sniper heaven, and it's not like cover matters against chrysalids anyway.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Rapid Reaction is actually great on Squadsight Snipers. Even better later with In The Zone. Clean up all the visible aliens, then go into overwatch and kill two more on the enemy turn. There are better abilities, of course--I'd love to see Bullet Swarm or Rapid Fire on a Squadsight Sniper--but generally speaking you won't feel cheated if Rapid Reaction is one of your level up choices for them.

I don't think I can ever play without Training Roulette again. It adds a lot of freshness to the game.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I usually run one of my two assaults with a rifle, too. Shotguns are great but there are some times when you don't want to be right up in something's face, and then sometimes your assault just isn't in range to hit anything with the shotty and run&gun is down.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, Outsiders are usually one of the first things I capture, just because they're usually very easy to grab. HP just high enough that a single pistol shot will put them in capture range, always encountered in the UFO's bridge, likes to move towards the party. Depending on timing I may get a thin man or sectoid first, but my first capture has been an Outsider more than half the time I've played, I'd say. I don't like risking my soldiers for captures early on, so even when I get an alien containment up quickly, sometimes it sits empty for a while because I just can't get my assaults into position safely.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

SovietPotatoe posted:

It only plays after either equipping or building a laser rifle, not sure which but definitely not on researching it, nor is it affected by Beginner VO.

I didn't see it in my latest game, despite both building and equipping multiple laser weapons of every type. I have Beginner VO turned off.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

The extra speed from Kinetic Strike is nice but overrated IMO. MECs can't take cover and have medium-range primary weapons, so they don't really belong on the front line, and unlike Supports with medkits, there's not much reason to need to relocate them across vast distances ASAP either. Yeah, they do get Restorative Mist, but I much prefer the grenade launcher and the mist can't be used to stabilize/revive downed characters anyway.

My Assaults are the only characters I wish were faster. Getting Sprint on a Training Roulette Assault is always awesome.

E:

RBA Starblade posted:

It turns the one endgame enemy that is a serious threat into a non-issue. And all it takes is a disabling shot or lightning reflexes if you're concerned about the mec getting shot up.

The problem with this statement is that Disabling Shot already turns those enemies into non-issues. It doesn't have psionics, so if it can't shoot, it's not a threat. Even with the EW buffs, it should never survive more than one turn, it just takes more firepower to kill it now is all. Running a Punchymech up to it could easily reveal many more aliens who only have your punchymech in sight to target. Easier and safer to just sit back, disable its weapon if needed, and bombard away.

Plus, by the time you're righting them, your punchymech could just deal 15+ points of damage to them from where they start the turn. Particle Accelerators are strong.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 4, 2014

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Ripoff posted:

Honestly in my relatively short play of EU I always felt like I was in a survival horror game. Every time I get ahead a newer and badass-er alien struts out and slaughters me. It got frustrating, but with this it looks like you can get ahead. Which for me, at least, looks more fun.

Don't ever go back and play the original X-Com or, God forbid, Terror From the Deep, then.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

In my latest game I got that mission super-late. I'd already completely eliminated a threat we havn't seen yet and gone through the first couple major plot missions. It's so much easier to handle when A) you know what's coming and B) you have the tools to one-shot most of the enemies instead of two to three-shotting them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

You can safely delay researching the Outsider Shard, Skeleton Key, and Hyperwave Decoder indefinitely to research other things if you want. Those are the gateways that unlock big plot missions and upgrade the "commander" units the aliens get. You will see every type of alien except the upgraded commanders even if you stall forever at Outsider Shard, so you can almost fully tech up before even doing the first major plot bit if you want.

• Locked thread