Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Coolguye posted:

I believe the XCOM project gets terminated if you lose too many members of the Council in the original XCOM, same as in EU. But there's a lot of lose conditions in UFO, including simply having a negative monthly score for too long, or being in debt two months in a row.

I think X-COM remains so long as you have at least a single backer in the original. The rest of it looks right though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Pvt.Scott posted:

Yeah, firefight mode would definitely be a "sometimes" toggle.

Having it available as a toggle would be nice.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

ReturnOfFable posted:

So I have never had a playthrough last longer then a year and I'm wondering what happens if you draw out the game? Once the final alien type is revealed, do the aliens just get tougher or does the game have a point where you have to win or you get a game over?

You can just keep going forever. If I recall correctly you'll have to deal with a constant stream of battleships after a while though.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Ceebees posted:

For disclosure, i just finished EW with my final mission team of a sniper, two assault, two support, and a Mech, because i wanted to try out the new toys. Given the chance to do it again, though, i'd take a straight 3-2-1; three assault, two support, one sniper.
  • Supports are economical. Keeping a punchymech up-to-date costs vats of meld that's better spent genemodding everyone. Supports are soldiers, so their gear is usable by other soldiers in a pinch (especially when tiering up, and you don't have the newest shotgun yet.) As well, they're the first class to benefit from every tech level increase. Good, solid all-rounders.

I have some counter-points.
  • Explosions are awesome, which you don't get as many of only using grenades. No heavies?
  • Robots punching aliens is basically the best thing to ever be.
  • Not having MECs means that for the inevitable XCOM Saturday morning cartoon after the invasion, children won't get to see robomen and women punching aliens. Nor will they see the maximum number of explosions due to the lack of heavies, which may or may not be caused by robopunches.
Think of the children.

apostateCourier fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Feb 7, 2014

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Jade Star posted:

Thanks for the Haikus. I'm sure no one will...

:argh:

Haikus are 5-7-5, though? I mean, they're all wrong, but still. Your criticism is also wrong in places!

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Jade Star posted:

He said he was going for 7-5-7, so I pointed out times they missed his set up. If I could get Counting Kittens in here she could explain the hell out of Haikus for us, but there are more kinds of haikus than 5-7-5. That just happens to be the most common we (non-japanese) are familiar with.

Fair enough, apparently I forgot how to read. Thanks for the insight.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

The other big downside to covering fire is that in general, overwatch should be used with caution. If an alien sees one of your soldiers go on overwatch, they won't do anything to trigger the reaction shot. On easy and normal this works out in your favor because the AI is programmed to be stupid, so the alien won't move, and in the case of a covering fire support, won't do anything at all. But on classic or impossible, the aliens will tend to focus their fire on normal overwatchers, and covering fire is a guaranteed way to get a grenade shoved up your support's rear end.

In other words, covering fire tends to be a liability on higher difficulties.

Not so much in EW. Aliens will trigger overwatch shots if it gives them an advantage over staying put now.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

I vote for Ragnar getting all the medals ever because he has the best name.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Jade Star posted:

Medals will carry over if we MEC Tiny. So if we MEC him we better not give him a +5 defense in cover medal because he will never take cover ever again.

His badass name overrides practicality in my eyes. He needs a chest full of medals.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Tiny Turtle posted:

It may be a bit early, but since people are jumping on the first MEC nickname thing, I'd like to hopefully suggest the nickname 'Ragnarsson'. That or replace Tiny Turtle with Ragnarsson, and then just give him whatever nickname y'all want.

Ragnar "Berserksgangur" Ragnarsson

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

VikingofRock posted:

Hey Jade Star, could you talk a little more about your research choices? I'm curious why you went Meld Recombination first, etc.

Robots punching aliens, as fast as possible. How is that not the best reason to do anything?

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Ragnar "Berserksgangur" Ragnarsson

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Brainamp posted:

It's not really worth it to go straight to plasma over lasers, since doing so pulls out the bigger aliens sooner.

Wait, really? I thought new aliens were a function of time (or in the case of commanders, plot advancement).

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Veloxyll posted:

And then having half all of them die on turn 2 to a panic-fire blaster bomb all up in your business on turn one.

Fixed that for you.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Sion posted:

"Cold One."

I like the idea of "Cold One."

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Why Kinetic Strike is better than Flamethrower

Kinetic Strike
+Increased movement range is wonderful
+12 (later 18) damage that absolutely cannot miss
+Unlimited uses, no cooldown
+Explosive cover that is hit by the alien's ragdoll will explode (Thin man bowling is the best thing)
+ROBOTS PUNCHING ALIENS (occasionally in particularly badass ways)
+Gets an upgrade later that lets you punch without ending your turn
+No friendly fire, assuming you don't sectoid-bowl a car or something your guys are hiding behind
-Requires you to get adjacent to the target within one move (Somewhat trivial, given the increased movement range)

Flamethrower
+Huge AOE
+Sets things on fire (EXPLOSIONS!)
+Decent damage
+Mass panic can be fairly useful
+Killing things with fire is pretty cool
-Your robot man is slow
-DESTROYS RESOURCES (fragments, alloys, elerium, meld)
-Robotic enemies are immune
-Limited ammo
-Friendly fire is a thing
-No really your robot man is quite slow, so proper positioning to use the flamethrower can be difficult
-Best used for killing hordes of weak things, which you should be able to handle just fine

apostateCourier fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 3, 2014

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Jade Star posted:

gently caress I knew i forgot to do something. That, and the one skill choice Tiny got to make. gently caress it. next time he levels up I'll cover them both. And I wanted to leave the Kinetic strike part for Guava, who should be back soonish. I hope he is. I'm out of commentary from him. (still 3 videos recorded though).

No problem, I just saw the lack of it and figured I'd fill the gap until you/Guava got around to putting more thought into it than I did.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

My point wasn't that hiring and firing soldiers isn't viable, its just not something you're supposed to do. If you're just hiring and firing soldiers that don't have near perfect stats is that you're basically just making the game easier. I play with Not Created Equally on because it makes things more interesting due to my soldiers not being identical. If you just fire everyone that doesn't have really good aim though, they still end up being identical but now you just have a significantly better squad. Its not like money is a big enough limiting factor most of the time that you can't afford to do this either.

Lets not pretend willpower is anywhere near as important as aim either, given there are tons of ways to make up for a lack of will. Movement speed is arguably important but its invisible on the stats screen so you won't know about it until you play anyways. Plus there isn't as much variation with it. I'm pretty sure a soldier can only have one movement speed below average, so that isn't a deal breaker if they have fantastic aim.

I dunno, it just stood out to me in the latest video when you basically said "well I could approach this situation with tactics but because I scum for high aim I can just sit out in the open and shot this guy".

You're spending resources to get better soldiers- how is that not a thing you're "supposed" to do?

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Ceebees posted:

Scumming for high aim would be to save before every hire and reload if there's no gem in the dross. Selecting for high aim is being willing to pay a premium for the things you value in your team.

Also, there's something like 50 slots in the barracks? You don't need to fire them, just stash a huge pile of mediocre rookies for a rainy day.

Keeping bad soldiers is a bad idea.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Feinne posted:

Yeah, MEC-2's have two abilities and MEC-3's three. They're pretty drat expensive awesome, though.

Worth every penny/scrap of meld, though.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Felinoid posted:

Isobel was the MEC in that mission, and I think she's a burny MEC. So BOOSH wasn't really on the table.

E: Looking at the video, I think that's boosh on the ability bar. Has Jade given up on burny altogether, or did he just stick the wrong suit on her?

Booshsuit is never the wrong suit.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Felinoid posted:

SHIVs may neuter Sectoid Commanders, but the other psionic enemy can rip them apart on account of both Psi Lance and Rift working on them, when they have a Will score of 0. Fortunately if you've played the game you'll know when each is going to show up, so you can plan accordingly.

Wait, does EW ever back up Mechtoids with commanders instead of grunts? That'd be a fantastic combo.

I do believe it does, yes.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Jade Star posted:

Rum got around to posting this in my stream:

Waddle Dee! :allears: Best tank pilot.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Jalathas posted:

Does anyone have any tips for early game on Impossible, short of just accept that my soldiers are already dead, and anything they actually manage to kill is a bonus? I feel like I'll be fine when I have a few soldiers with ranks under their belts, but when I'm outnumbered and outgunned by sectoids to the point I can barely get through the first mission, it feels a little hopeless trying to get to that point.

Never end your turn with enemies in view. If you can't kill them all, pull back so they have to come to you.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Jade Star posted:

I bring you a Haiku, from our newest recruit.

Gas stations explode
Plasma brings justice for slaves.
gently caress you too, Jade Star.

Seems kind of personal. And rude.
Of course it's personal. It's also less rude than selling people into slavery for fuel.

Edit: That was 100% a joke entry and did not expect it to be used at all, I'm pleasantly surprised.

apostateCourier fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jun 17, 2014

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Jade Star posted:

Oh yeah... I forgot about selling apostateCourier into slavery for fuel. Guess the gas themed haiku makes more sense now.

So uh... anyone want to buy a X-Com squaddie for 500 elerium?

It was slightly more current when I sent the application. I expected to get a little chuckle out of you and that's about it.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

For a second I was worried you were going to bring a squaddie (me) to get eaten by chrissalids. Then you didn't! Then I was worrying again because I know what happens later. Also it appears that I put down the wrong helmet number.

apostateCourier fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jun 27, 2014

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

My vote is for Snake, and as for me taking my time on that last kill, well, I had to go over the moral and ethical ramifications of introducing a lethal quantity of illumination to the man's skull. As you saw, my internal debate resulted in death by light show.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Jade- I asked for armor variant 2.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Jade Star posted:

God drat it... Well thanks for explaining that one, otherwise I don't think I would have gotten it.

Next video is recorded and it's a good one. Some new things including a brand new bug/glitch that I've never seen before. Maybe someone else has though as it's not a terribly unlikely sequence of events leading to it. Still though, fix your game Jake.

Also Booshes.

Hopefully the glitch/bug didn't result in anyone dying. :ohdear:

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

My bet is 25 Booshes. If this is taken already, I'll take 30. If that's taken, I'll take 28.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Bruceski posted:

The Bureau is a fine game that makes a commendable effort at a nifty ending, despite the attempt falling a bit flat. The main flaw in the game is that it came out riding on X-Com's hype.

The explanation for the 3rd person camera and order mode slowdown was fun and clever, I'll definitely give it that. The shootmans mechanics are also fairly decent.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

I'm torn between "Shellshock" and "Breakdown."

"Headcase" is another good one.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Brainamp posted:

Sort of. IIRC, alien packs that are close enough would wander towards sounds you made. It's not a reliable mechanic nor one you should ever care about.

In multiplayer it can kind of matter if you wander off between turns, but then again you can just pan around and see what doors are open now that weren't before.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

VKing posted:

Ooh, nice, I didn't know there was a base defence mission in the game with EW.
That was some seriously nice playing, as well.

Rename the medal to the Order of the Boosh (OB), and give it to Nittien, for outstanding and valorous defence of XCOM headquarters and humanity.

For a bonus, change her nickname to GCOB (Grand Colonel of the Order of the Boosh).

I accept the name Order of the Boosh but we should save it for later.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

red plastic cup posted:

Is this the last medal you get? If so, we should call it the Jade Star. Alternatively, the Guava Monument.

Jade Star best choice.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Talky posted:

I just caught up to this LP today, but in my opinion this post is objectively correct. Seconding this.

The problem is that this medal is one you want to save for quite a while.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Supersonic Shine posted:

If Sprahl actually rests in peace somewhere down the line, it's going to come as an absolute shock to me. It's like she's bungee jumping while tethered with one-ply tissue paper, and continuing to bounce back up.

The Jade Star of Guava Moments is a good name, though I feel bad that we're leaving out Skippy Granola.

There's one medal left, we can get Skippy in on that one.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Emissary666 posted:

While the LP does demonstrate how amazing ITZ is, I'm still probably going to favor Double Tap in my games. From what I'm seeing ITZ is great if you can set up a chain, but Double Tap is still more reliable. In my games, I tend to encounter some situations where ITZ would be nice to have, but not often enough for me to consider investing too seriously in it.

The thing is that a lot of enemies, especially in EW, don't care about cover- so they're all fodder for ITZ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Psion posted:

I'd like to announce it's GuavaMoment's fault I'm playing The Bureau and man do I have some opinions on this title. But they're disjointed, half-expressed opinions which occasionally jump from point to point without explaining how I got there and sometimes contradict what I just said a minute ago.

but let's be real: the game's biggest crime is not letting me keep Carter's hat on permanently. It disappeared after an early mission and I want it back.

Agreed. On all points, really.

• Locked thread