Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

KGBAgent185 posted:

Another quick question. I only have Enemy Unknown, but I was curious if I should pick up Enemy Within even though I haven't finished unknown yet? Are there patches and balance changes that are worth it even for the base game?

Enemy Within is a fantastic expansion that completely changes how you play the game. My recommendation is if your not to far into Unknown, buy Within and restart your playthrough. It will be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

DatonKallandor posted:

Xenonauts does this pretty well. Mission in the middle east? Pretty much every civilian is going to have an AK. Terror mission in a city? The military helps you - and they even get upgraded to your tech level (if you figured out how laser rifles work, you tell every nation). They've also got a great "you failed/didn't do this terror mission" result that city is nuked by human forces because they can't win any other way.

Wow, Xenonauts actually looks pretty cool. Might pick that up later.

I always wanted to see someone do another narrative LP with Enemy Within. So much of this game is unexplained that it just begs the player to put their own spin on it. And all this speculation about the XCOM and how it gets started is awesome.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

Eifert Posting posted:

^^^
Mobility, suppression, dense smoke in case of sectopod. I also like them best as psychic candidates. Generally in any mission with objectives I use them for that. I like the support's mech bonus best too.

Enemy Within makes a good game great. EU had a lot going for it, but there were really only one or two legitimate strategies and it got really stale. EW let's the game branch out and rewards players who can adapt their strategy. There are a couple of things most people agree were underutilized but I have a hard time imagining an argument that the game wasn't greatly improved.

I've had it that every support in every run I have played turns out to be a psychic candidate. Having them transform in a super support at the end game really turned them into useful cover.

But I agree with Guava. In EW the support class is pretty much non-existent. Especially when I can get another cyborg.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
So I have never had a playthrough last longer then a year and I'm wondering what happens if you draw out the game? Once the final alien type is revealed, do the aliens just get tougher or does the game have a point where you have to win or you get a game over?

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
I have to agree, there really does not seem to be a reason to throw a grenade on a Sniper, especially on these huge maps where you have to get close in order to do so. You could potentially trigger another group by blowing up a wall and it's not worth the risk.

Now, if you upgrade a Sniper's pistol abilities, I can see grenades being useful 2 - 3 months in but only in certain missions.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
Hey Jadestar. I don't really have a whole lot to contribute yet but I just want to say I am really enjoying the LP so far. You and Guava are definitely helping me out and I learning a lot from these videos. I finally played on classic last night and cannot wait to continue my run on it. Keep it up man.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

Chard posted:

Apparently drive-through daiquiri places are really common in some parts of the American south. They get around the "don't drink a huge cup of liquor and sugar while driving" by taping the straw to the side of the cup. Suddenly, a sealed container! :allears:

And as for SS vs SS Snipers (gotta love that they have the same acronym), I usually try to train up one of each so I can make a situational choice depending on the type of mission. Maps with long sightlines can accommodate Squadsight, but for breaching UFOs I might bring the Snapshot or just forgo a Sniper entirely. Basically there is no "right" answer, it depends entirely on how you play the game.

I live in Florida, probably one of the craziest places in the south and I have never in my life seen a drive-through daiquiri place.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
Tossing my vote for Tony "White Baron" White.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
Something to note from Portent is that if you run through the street, you see more bodies that look similar to the survivor. Bradford remarks over the radio that they were not killed by plasma weapons but by bullets. Just something interesting to notice.

Also I tried this mission last night and got my rear end handed to me. Didn't even consider using the rooftops and got overwhelmed in the street by the Sectoid drop.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
Holy poo poo, that submission was awesome.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
Screw the military base map for Alien Terror Missions. I got that for my very first one when Enemy Unknown came out and had to run it with a bunch of sqauddies. I think I lost two soldiers and saved around six people.

Chrysallids are also really terrifying if you have no idea what they are. At this point in the game your used to enemies all sitting behind cover and taking shots at you but seeing this thing run at you and attempt to rip your face off is a trip.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
I'm very curious for why you guys went for Kinetic Strike over the Flamethrower. Flamethrower just works so we well with clearing out groups of enemies and the range is really good on it.

ReturnOfFable fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 3, 2014

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
I always liked running two MECs, one with a Flamethrower and one with Kinetic Strike.

Besides, Flamethrower completely destroys an enemy type we are going to see later this month.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
Is it possible that the timing on when they go into the red affects it? So a country that just went red right before the month ends won't pull out but a country that's been in red for a least a week will?

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

Pvt.Scott posted:

Record yourselves doing the foley work acapela. I recommend "pew-pew-pew" for lasers and sort of a growly "shhuuummm" for plasma. Just breathe into the mic for wind. Then record yourselves talking over yourselves.

I would pay to see this. Please Jade Star. How many XCOM Bitcoins do I have to pay to make this happen?

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
Just wanted to say that Skippy was a god drat riot in this episode. Please bring him back for more Jade Star.

I always liked the concept of Exalt. They never dropped any of my guys but they were always a big threat just with their numbers. I still remember missions where I would be going up against 10 of them and would spend a few minutes trying to figure out how to defend myself from the counterattack.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

Doctor_Blueninja posted:

Anyway, on the guest commentator front, I think it'd be neat if you guys tried to have all three of you in there at once. Skippy could be the rookie, while Guava and Jade could be the teachers for their respective playstyles. That's kinda what was going on already, to be honest, minus having someone in the video itself who's less experienced. It's still something to consider though, if you guys think it could work. It'd be a bit like the Dark Souls LP, where it started with just Geop and Vicas before Kuvo and Squint jumped on-board later on.

For any of the plot missions, I feel like having all three of them would be great. Especially considering how simple the plot missions are, there is a lot of down time.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
If this god-sniper is not killed by a Mechtoid or friendly fire, this LP is a failure.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

Jade Star posted:

Ashes and Temples

Polsy

This one is a hell of a mission. The video is about an hour long, so settle in when you have the time for it. I think I'll wait on making a big post about it until a little later and go over everything that happens here. For now, watch and enjoy.

Holy poo poo, have I been waiting for this one.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

the JJ posted:

But on the other hand Florida is the worst state so...

Having lived in Florida for 20 years, I can confirm this. It's the worst.

I'd rather have these artificial beaches in Vegas then be in Florida.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.

FoolyCharged posted:

The game doesn't count the outsider's interrogation as one though, you still need to kidnap and research another species first. If I remember right anyway, I know at the very least it' doesn't benefit from SAs Bonus.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
I have, but a long time ago, hence the memory disclaimer. Most of the time I wait for south America coverage for interrogations and I don't tend to rush the alien base enough that I need the outsider before I can get that bonus.

You can capture the Outsider and skip that cutscene with Vallen telling you to go capture the right alien. I did this in my play through a few weeks ago.

• Locked thread