Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Hey Jade I heard you need a soldier who seems to become amazing every run for some dumb reason

Bring me forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

How does Panic actually work? It never really explains how someone will panic anywhere other than it can happen and sometimes you will shoot your own guys. The mechanics of panicing were a mystery to me.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

nine five percent shot
no way will this ever miss
another dead soldier

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Call it Bueno Buenos Aires Air Medal and make Guava read it every chance you get. Make it for Will.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Mimetic Skin is bullshit though.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Piell posted:

I am pretty sure he meant "bullshit" as in "probably the strongest thing in the game", not bullshit as in terrible

This one

And I figured we'd wait for Jade to discuss them first since it's new.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Jade Star posted:

I used to think just like you. Then Guava talked me into using ITZ once.

Okay I seriously need to put out the next update so we all shut up about Colonel level skill choices when it's still March in game.

This wouldn't be an issue with Training Roulette. :colbert:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Private Botch posted:

What nobody suggested "White Lighting" for the nickname? I am somewhat disappointed.

"Black Thunder" :colbert:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Jade show off Shivs no one does

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

The Council medal should be called "The X-Com Paradox" because people should be dying in X-Com, not surviving.

The only weapons choice I care about is Shredder Rockets because more rockets more explosions less cover for ITZ.

Make the God drat mech "Tech Support"

Edit: Ragnar "Jadestar's BFF" Tinyturtle or Ragnar "gently caress Guava" Tinyturtle

ZenVulgarity fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 14, 2014

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

In honor of the gentlemen who present this LP I have a few nickname suggestions:

Honorificabilitudinitatibus

Quetzalcoatl

Muvaffakiyetsizleştirici ("Maker of unsuccessful ones" in Turkish)

Humu­humunuku­nuku­āpuaʻa A very aggressive reef fish known for taking bites out of people.

I think anyone would be proud to lead soldiers with such fearsome honorifics into battle.

I approve of all of these

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Danaru posted:

My only gripe with training roulette is my number of supports who got none of the medkit related skills, and now have absolutely nothing going for them. I guess I can Mec them, but drat.

You're angry about a support with Bullet Swarm? :colbert:

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Jade I think I missed it. Are you going to show off SHIVs in this playthrough?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

amanasleep posted:

The current build of Long War, Beta 13, is in feature lock with only bugfixes to come. It is quite stable and the last round of features and balancing introduced in Beta 10-12 is awesome.

Major improvements:

1. Air war balancing has finally come into focus. The addition of Aggressive/Neutral/Defensive stances makes a huge difference for player agency in managing early combat. There are a huge number of incremental upgrades for interceptors, some of which can be rushed. Bottom line is it feels much less random now and there are multiple viable air strategies (example: Armored Fighters + UFO Countermeasures + Aggressive Stance lets you take out bigger UFOs with weaker weapons which lets you skip lasers for Gauss if you wish).

2. All the new guns are amazing and give meaningful tactical differences on loadouts:

A) Battle Rifle: High Damage, ammo and crit, lower accuracy and mobility. Fits right between a Shotgun and Assault Rifle, and in the right hands can be better than either. Great on Infantry and Assaults.
B) Assault Rifle: Still vanilla, still useful when shooting at range because many of the other guns don't do enough damage.
C) Assault Carbine: Lower damage and crit, higher mobility and aim. Wonderful for utility, training rookies, on Rocketeers, for flanking, etc. Probably the default weapon over the AR now, but still not dominant.
D) SMG: Carbine damage, with no crit or aim, low ammo, plus crazy mobility. Great option for many support units.
E) Sawed-off Shotgun: 1 tile range, Shotgun damage, -1 mobility, pistol slot: Wonderful addition, allows many flexible loadouts to include close-range lethality.
F) Machine Pistol: SMG damage in the pistol slot, -1 mobility. All pistols have aim penalties at range. SMG is great for operatives, Infantry, and other units that run out of ammo.
G) Strike/Marksman's Rifle: Lower crit Sniper Rifle with Snapshot penalty on move, and limited squadsight to 5 tiles. Very useful.
H) LMG: Limited Squadsight move-restricted Heavy gun for Gunners only. High damage and ammo, low crit. Only weapon that is difficult to use currently because Gunners do not have pistol slot, can't Steady Weapon, so they often don't have a good action to take after moving with this. With enemies at the proper range this thing is a monster though. Suppressing from beyond sight range can be very powerful. The basic SAW that is not move restricted is usually the better choice though. Does Battle Rifle damage with no aim penalty.

3. The 5 weapon tiers have good separation now:

A) Ballistics: Lots of tactical enhancements to boost damage and properties allowing a path that skips lasers.
B) Beam Lasers: +1 damage and +7 aim over Ballistics. Very solid upgrade but misses great Ballistic enhancements. Tough choice.
C) Gauss: +2 damage over Ballistics but no aim bonus. Sniper rifle variant has built in HEAT ammo. Compatible with Ballistics upgrades so overall very powerful with the right research and support tech.
D) Pulse Lasers: +3 damage over Ballistics and crit bonus instead of aim bonus. Really effective by the time you get it since high level soldiers have great aim but crit boost increases damage.
E) Plasma: Best overall damage, but very expensive to get.

4. Mission loadout screen tells you the type of map before you lift off. This is huge, as you can now tailor troop selection/loadouts to the mission.

5. Units on overwatch (including ALIENS) get an icon in tactical. THIS REVOLUTIONIZES THE GAME.

6. Every time a soldier makes a panic check, the actual roll and result pops up above the soldier.

7. You can get Collateral Damage as a Psi ability. loving Mind Bullets, y'all.

If you have been putting off trying LW because of stability concerns, or were turned off by the bugs/balance of earlier Betas, now is a good time to try it out/again.

Jade should blind LP Long War after the regular series.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

It'll be a long time before you bring out the super soldiers for the war effort. :c00lbert:

I always wished Exalt got past a certain point in the tech tree. Just like I wish some enemies like Thin Men improved over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Jade Star posted:

God drat it... Well thanks for explaining that one, otherwise I don't think I would have gotten it.

Next video is recorded and it's a good one. Some new things including a brand new bug/glitch that I've never seen before. Maybe someone else has though as it's not a terribly unlikely sequence of events leading to it. Still though, fix your game Jake.

Also Booshes.

JAIDs is a funny thing.

• Locked thread