Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
I never actually finished this game, or even got very far, even with the RNG cheating in my favour. I suffered through a few short runs that collapsed due to panic and funding, or fatalities, and then were taken apart by Chrysalids. The first time I discovered Chrysalids, I'd made a habit of capturing everything available. Then I came across a Chrysalid on one of the tank maps. So you can guess what I tried to do. And you can guess how that turned out.

A couple restarts later, my setup seemed to be going well, not too much panic, a couple continents worth of satellites, I'd started to get the hang of tackling Chrysalids... That team were dropped into a map where they came up against Mutons (I think it might have been the first or second time I faced them? They were pretty new to me, anyway), then a Cyberdisc rushed in and happily kicked the poo poo out of everyone. And the survivors of that stumbled into a Terror mission that very quickly became a Chrysalid feasting frenzy.

I think I gave up at that point, but I'm definitely tempted to go back to it now I see the sort of mistakes I was making. Giving the enemy too many turns and chances, making risky moves without spare actions, expecting 98% hits to be Sure Things... Although I'm still amazed at how easy you make things look, you're obviously making things a lot easier for yourself due to how you approach things and prepare for what might happen. I still have an intense hatred of Chrysalids, that's not going away any time soon, and if I ever see a Cyberdisk again it will eat every rocket and grenade at my disposal, so I guess there are some things you can't prepare me for, but I think I might just fire this game up again and see what I can do differently get murdered by this time.

Thanks, guys.

Edit: Also I know there are a few changes here that I won't see in Enemy Unknown, but are there any real differences between the PC version and the console versions?

TheDarkFlame fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Apr 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

This may be a daft question but I noticed when you first MEC'd Tiny that he was equipped with standard cybernetic limbs instead of the full MEC suit. Can you do anything when he's like that, or are those just his lounging-around off-duty limbs?

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

FredMSloniker posted:

I have to admit, I'm disappointed in the SHIV's first outing. Not because it performed poorly or anything, oh no. I'm disappointed because I sent in a sign-up application to be the SHIV pilot, and apparently I was quietly rejected. :saddowns: I mean, I get that this LP isn't all fanfictiony like the one I linked was, but I was hoping for a name drop.

Oh great, now that's the second LP of a game I've never played that this thread is making me read through. I hope you're happy, thread.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Give an Alloy Shiv a Mechfist. Make its only purpose in life to wander out into the battlefield and punch aliens that use it as cover.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

I think so. I would have signed up already, but I imagine we have all the elite soldiers we'll ever need.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

I really want Archives to be unbroken again, I managed to read through the whole Apocalypse LP and then get to page 11 of the JadeStar's Aftermath LP.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Steam Forums:

quote:

save files are stored in the \My Games\XCOM - Enemy Unknown\XComGame\SaveData in your documents folder

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Makes me wonder about another theoretical challenge. Ignoring MECs as a seperate class, and SHIVs entirely, what would be the best one-class team? If your game was rigged to give all your rookies the same class on promotion, what would you choose?

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Or skateboards.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

...That was special.

Please tell me you're not going to have to do this for every video from now on? This YouTube automated flag thing is getting particularly stupid now.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

So... Squad Sight is a great skill but only because the game is being broken but even when it isn't it's still a great skill and far better than the alternative options and what are you trying to say here?

I don't see what the problem is with this thing. Sure, it's a bug, a broken game mechanic, you can even call it a special bonus like the unique named super-solider characters (it really isn't, but this is your comparison, do what you like), whatever. Yes, it may not be an intentional part of the game's design. But at the same time, this is the hardest difficulty, in a game reknowned for screwing you in ridiculous and unnecessary ways, by game mechanics, glitches and luck so bad it could be called obscene. And this is one bug in one aspect of one of the game's phases. This is not some pathway to bending the game's spine over your knee. If you can win with this trick, I'll guess you could probably win without it. I'll forgive them using a "feature" that has such large inverted commas around it that you can hear them spoken out loud.

Hell, I play this on PS3 (where the interface isn't even sufficiently broken for this to work), and I don't mind that they use this in the LP even thought it's not a thing I could take advantage of. There's still the tons and tons of information about movement and positioning tactics, enemy types, weaponry, research, game mechanics, special scenarios, etc. This one thing that makes snipers slightly more reliable as snipers is not going to tip the balance and make the entire LP worthless.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Jade Star posted:

Ah holy poo poo... I shoulda been more careful with what I said in the video.

Well, what you actually said was "write some fan-gently caress" soooo

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

silentsnack posted:

If everyone literally used their tongue to communicate, the internet would be much weirder than it already is.

No, I can assure you it would not. At best, it would be covered in a bit more saliva, and test positive for every bodily-fluid-borne disease known to mankind.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

What does it take to get this thread moving? Bribes? Long War discussions? In-character fanfiction?

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

The Definitive Guide To Root-Beer: There's Aliens In Here Somewhere

Could also be retitled: Fix Your Game, Jake; Fix Your LP, Jade; Booshing For Dummies

Also, there is some information in each video post about things that aren't always covered in videos: Just filter the thread so you only get JadeStar's posts, and ignore the ones about root beer, computer failure or grievous bodily harm.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Was Interceptor the one with the space combat and apex-level self-destruct missiles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

Jesus Christ you guys, I thought this was another update.

• Locked thread