Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
I don't really think X-COM is that much of a secret. When aliens attack, a big metal thing flies through the city and drops off a group of 4-6 superhumans who take out the aliens. That's ignoring the (assumed) cleanup crews who collect the alien corpses, weapon fragments, UFO pieces, and assorted baskets of space candy, since the Skyranger can hold 6 soldiers at most. Unless the countries are somehow managing to cover the whole invasion up as an international group of roving cosplayers, I would think that letting the public know of the existence of X-COM would probably help calm them down in the face of imminent destruction by small gray men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

ZenVulgarity posted:

Call it Bueno Buenos Aires Air Medal and make Guava read it every chance you get. Make it for Will.

Our soldiers will be so smug in the fact that they can pronounce the name of the medal that they will become more willful.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Stallion Cabana posted:

My city has 3. Welcome to Louisiana.

And yet, in Louisiana at least, I've only seen one drive-through ATM. It's all pneumatic tubes around me.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Tony "White Baron" White shall strike fear into the hearts of our enemies!

Stomperud gets +def, Ragny gets +aim.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Eifert Posting posted:

The only nickname request MANDATE I have is the first mech must MUST MUST!!! be named:

Tech Support.

I second this.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
The medal's name will be...Jimmy.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Tiny will be Ragtime.

Nittien will be øyeblikk.

The Medal of Honor shall be named Jimmy, and it will get +1 aim/will.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

GuavaMoment posted:

I enjoyed it enough to get all the achievements. Base management can be a bit plodding, but the combat is really, really fun. However there are numerous places in the story where things just jump around or don't get explained because the game needed another few months of polish before release. It's easily worth it next time it goes on sale.

Silent W - a question. Why in the hell did anyone bother with the "cover-up" story at the end of the game? You've got mass abductions, giant alien structures in the middle of ruined cities everywhere, freaking orbital bombardments going on...and it all got covered up? Like, really? Out of all the rough edges that game has, that one was the worst. Well, aside from loading a game in the decontamination room of the base and having the doors refuse to open, thus breaking the save. That was the worst.

It was all just swamp gas and a weather balloon. Nothing to see here, move along, or you're a communist.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

I'm gonna cast my vote for Rickey "Mama Bear" Gunerson. Squadsight snipers protect the rest of their team so much that I've nicknamed one that in all of my games. Also Finn "Unpaid" Tern because I'm terrible.

Oh good, someone got my pun. Anyway, my suggestions are Rickey "Waldorf" Gunerson and Finn "Statler" Terne. I also second Catalina "Urban" Sprahl.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Zhang just invited himself along for the ride, he can work as the janitor on the base. As for the MEC, I'm biased towards making Finn one, but it seems like the best choice would be to go with Ragnar.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
When you said "Very Special Episode" and there was a bar in the video, I assumed the episode would be about X-COM's problems with alcoholics.

And then the new recruit is Beers. She's a Very Special Assault.

Pyroi fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 1, 2014

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Veloxyll posted:

Seconding 99.

Thirding/changing my vote. Motion passes.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

OwlFancier posted:

Daft question, but why are Shen and Bradley talking to the doc on the giant screen?

I mean, she's next door to them and down the stairs, can't they just go say hi?

Maybe they think she's annoying too.

Or maybe Bradley is the kind of person who calls the person in the next room on their mobile to ask them to get him a can of pop.

They never really get to use the screen for anything but talking to the council, so they use it every chance they get.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Jade Star posted:

Mecs with regenerative bone marrow would be pretty boss.

Well, they can be repaired. That's like regenerating bone marrow.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Jade Star posted:

I forgot!

I was streaming Long Live The Queen.

It wouldn't surprise me if this was an actual way to die in that game.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
And Finn Terne continues to be ignored in favor of the new guys. Being the unpaid intern really sucks.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

GenericServices posted:

Shen lets that woman do his amputations? I figured him for a hands-off kinda boss, but that's harsh!

He also lets her do most of the running of the engineering department. Really, he's just there to fill in her paperwork.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Next EXALT Mission: 50 agents of EXALT show up, and are killed by boosh.

And Finn Terne continues to fail to get a pay raise.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Jade Star posted:

Actually, nothing going wrong for once. Just going with the idea of sending guava a save to see how he handles a mission with the same team.

Now taking bets on what goes wrong with him getting the save.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Felinoid posted:

Gotcha. I feel like a 6 Assault team wouldn't ever have a murder-everything strategy not work, though. I've been doing a training roulette run recently, and it's really made me appreciate the change to Close & Personal. Being able to kill two things a turn by Run 'N' Gunning next to one, taking the free shot, and then Rapid Firing another guy, is just ridiculous. Multiply that by six, and I'm not sure I even care about possibly taking overwatch hits without Lightning Reflexes.

I feel that Murder-Everything strategies would work on most occasions.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

my dad posted:

Did you get the music at Incompetech?

I believe you mean Magic and Wonder Incorporated.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
That is. quite possibly, the greatest title for a mission ever.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Jade Star posted:

Oh yeah... I forgot about selling apostateCourier into slavery for fuel. Guess the gas themed haiku makes more sense now.

So uh... anyone want to buy a X-Com squaddie for 500 elerium?

I'll take two for 750.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Jade Star posted:

Streamed 16 hour marathon of Open X-Com on superhuman ironman... It went less well than the LP has gone.

e: Fun fact: About 7% of those deaths was Skippy Granola.

What have we learned? That Skippy is a bad soldier.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Kytrarewn posted:

Finn Terne is already redundant. Terns are seabirds, and so calling her a fin tern just doubles up on it.

wait what

I was going for a pun on Intern, and you tell me that she's actually a bird?

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
14 Booshes. If that's taken, keep going up until one isn't.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
I repeat my earlier suggestion of the Star of Boosh/

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

X-com Fan-splanation posted:

The Russian EXALT Cell was known for their unorthodox means of keeping soldiers alive. After implanting many of the troops with a form of hyper-adrenaline, they were then given orders to not move from their posts until they were absolutely sure that X-COM were in the area. Since EXALT troops were known for playing pranks on each other, using various forms of stink bomb and lasers to simulate grenades and lasers, this meant that there had to be visual confirmation of an X-COM soldier for the troops to move out.

And then, of course, there's the recruitment process.

"Hello, and welcome to Exalted Electronics, how may I help...you...what's wrong with your hair?" The receptionist stared at the pink-haired woman standing in front of her.

"YEAH I WANT TO JOIN EXALT. WHERE DO I GO FOR TH-" The receptionist slammed her hand on the pink-haired woman's mouth as quickly as possible.

"Keep it down!" She whispered slightly louder than a standard whisper, "It's a secret society for a reason!"

"Okay. So, where do I go to join EXALT?"

The receptionist quickly looked both ways, making sure there weren't any suspicious characters around, and then hit a button under the desk. "Go to the bathroom. Fifth stall from the left. Welcome to EXALT."

The pink-haired woman ran off. A few hours later, she came back out with several EXALT troops, each not wearing the proper EXALT uniform. They each held a beer in their hands, which meant that the EXALT supplies were running low, even after stealing so many X-COM Funbux.

"Yeah, my boss is a huge rear end in a top hat, sometimes he makes people sit in a, a vat thing for like, days!" They all laughed at what appeared to be an exaggeration. The phone on the pink-haired woman's waist beeped quickly, and she put her beer down to grab it.

Finn, come in, this is Bradford, the HQ is under attack, repeat, the HQ is under attack by the aliens!

"So, who was that?" asked one of the troops.

"Eh, no one important. So anyway, when do I get my paycheck for this?"

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Lazy Bear posted:

I've always been of the mind that the Psi Labs testing is ten solid days of complete sensory deprivation. You either go Psychic, or you go insane. Either way, MKULTRA XCOM has a new weapon.

It's actually constant games of Mastermind. First to get it on the first try three times in a row is psychic.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Is it finally time for Finn Terne to destroy her arch-nemesises, EXALT?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Last Transmission posted:

Did the floor at least have it coming?

Well, it was an undercover EXALT agent, so yes.

• Locked thread