Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I'm really looking forward to another one of these where Guava proceeds to just accidentally send any and all assaults to their glorious deaths.

Also, snapshot actually is really good, it's just that squadsight is so good that you can literally base your entire play style around it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Archenteron posted:

When a 'Disk hits your eye
As it's booshed through the sky
:xcom:

When your guy's out of his head
Pumps his ally full of lead

When you're out of luck
95% shot's not enough

When the chryssalids come
Day before laser guns

AnoHito fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jun 12, 2014

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

heenato posted:

Nah. That's probably just that rare doorway bug that NEVER GOT FIXED.

You know the one. Where you just suddenly cant go through a door for some stupid rear end reason, and there's nothing you can do about it.

That actually led to the most crushing end to an Ironman mode attempt when I got it right at the end of the final mission...
And now I don't try Ironman anymore.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Not only that but you're stuck with NA for you starting location and i think they make you launch a satellite at the beginning of the month as well?

Not sure about the satellite, but I'm almost certain they don't force you into NA. I know because my first playthrough I went with Europe because I didn't realize how useless it is.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I think this is the question everyone's been waiting for.

42 booshes

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Adding my vote to The Jade Star.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

notZaar posted:

True but they get hosed UP by psionic attacks.

If you're referring to what I think you are, then EVERYTHING gets hosed up by that. Shivs just a bit more so.

Also convenient is that it doesn't really matter if they die, especially late game.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Annointed posted:

Can't we all just count our blessings that at least there isn't a Japanese VN based on XCOM:EW?

Well now I know what I'm going to have to spend the next few weeks making...

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Archenteron posted:

The human flesh is weak. Initiate the SHIVCom project. :roboluv:

That would be my recommendation as well. I remember keeping like 5 or 6 of them around my first playthrough, and they never failed to make themselves useful in a pinch. Especially considering how disposable they are.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Zomborgon posted:

Sale notification: Due to a 2K publisher sale, Steam can now get you XCOM EU for $7.49 USD and the XCOM EW expansion for... $9.89 USD.

I guess they know how good of an expansion it is, but that's a little underhanded.

As has been mentioned before, it's less "holy poo poo the expansion is so expensive" and more "holy poo poo the original game is so cheap."

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkO4NIqAMss
Pulling a Patrick Stewart, I see.
Well done :golfclap:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I'd just be worried about the recoil.

There is no recoil on laser/plasma weaponry, so it's no problem either way.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

goatface posted:

It's venting all the noxious chemicals and coolant they're using to power the things. Aliens shot point blank should probably count as poisoned.
It seems Xcom and OSHA have an increasingly strained relationship.

Harrower posted:

It's unlikely they would fire slowly moving green/blue/purple globs of relatively muted light, but more like unleashing the wrath of an angry sun. The words collateral damage come to mind. Whatever got hit would be vaporized and the surrounding area set on fire.

Xcom and collateral damage on the other hand seem to be destined to be together for all eternity.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Kurieg posted:

This seems somewhat relevant to this discussion.

Wouldn't making the chaff ferromagnetic make it easier to remove? Or would that cause it's own issues.

Wouldn't that also make it easier for the target to remove it?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

ponzicar posted:

To apply this to X-Com, I think the reason the aliens stick to mostly ground combat with a little bit of atmospheric dogfighting is that they've signed space treaties that limit the amount of combat they're allowed to do from space. Too many space wars have left planets shattered from orbital bombardments, with their orbits clogged with a thick cloud of debris.

I'd explain why that is probably not the case and how the game all but explains the ground stuff, but that mostly gets into spoiler/sequel speculation territory.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Flesnolk posted:

If I remember the spoilers correctly, they'd be much easier to achieve with that plan.

I don't think you are remembering spoilers correctly.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

NothingToFyr posted:

I don't see how this is something to bitch about. He's paying many times higher cost to get troops that are more capable. Would it be any more cheating if they charged you 100x or 200x cost for 1 soldier with maxed starting stats? I can see bitching about some legitimately terrible exploiting like savescumming, but he's spending way more money than he has to because he's willing to pay for quality.

And on that note, the option to pay a huge multiplier for maxed starting stats would make it go so much faster than sorting through tons of garbage recruits. A man can dream.

That would ruin the whole random/organic aspect of recruits. Not to mention the fact that time itself is a valuable resource, so hiring new soldiers to sort through takes more than just money.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

zyxophoj posted:

Oops. Well, that shows exactly how much attention I pay to the EXALT threat in the mid to late game. Anyway, that last research hack does mean that the first use of the alloy canon will probably be against the EXALT cell that delayed it. Revenge is a dish best served at point-blank range.

ABR - Always Be Revenging.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

GuavaMoment posted:

I eagerly await the behind-the-scenes belching.

Well there's no way it can be behind the scenes now...

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Jade Star posted:

Yeah, you got all those prissy Oregonians. People that like to piss in reservoirs and waste 38 million gallons of water. Yeah, thanks Oregon. No one needed that water anyway.

e: gently caress it, I did a thing. Enjoy you ungrateful non-Californian bastards.

Dammit, why does the ocean get to be blue in California? I'm stuck with green...

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I'm going to go ahead and vote Psi Panic, though I can't say I've ever had a use for either.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

sckye posted:

Sectoid comes out
Reaction fired a rocket
Oh god, Hitler why?

4-8-5
Now you've done it :colbert:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Jade Star posted:

Those that know me a bit or have watched my streams might know I practice Taekwondo. I broke my shoulder during practice. It's actually really embarrassing that I hurt myself so bad as a 1st degree black belt in front of a class of color belts. The instructor and I were showing off a bit trying to build some confidence in the lower ranks that were being very hesitant or scared to do throws/falls and well, I'm sure this really did not help in that regard.

Ah, good, another fellow Metal In My Bones Due To My Own Foolish Arrogance While Attempting A Martial Arts Throw buddy!

Seriously hope you feel better soon.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Stephen9001 posted:

I know I may regret asking but... what exactly is Huniepop? I know it's like some kinda anime game, but that's all I know.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/339800/

Apparently some kind of anime dating sim with bejewled tacked onto it or something.

I honestly can't say I care to find out if I'm right.

E: Apparently I'm right.

AnoHito fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 25, 2015

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Yeah, serious ginger beers are no joke. A lot of people don't realize exactly how strong ginger can be.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

apostateCourier posted:

Time for Shellshock's revenge! You know which Ethereal you must mind control. Do it. :black101:

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, I'm kind of curious what even happens. I've never actually tried it before.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I say the higher should win. No one should ever be punished for wanting more booshes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

ulmont posted:

It would be a lot less skewed if they used a median rather than a mean.

Or just excepted the numbers that are way too high to be reasonable.

• Locked thread