Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Did the game update since this LP started? I'm trying to use the overwatch trick with my snipers but it immediately switches soldiers when I give the command. There is no animation delay. I can still swap weapons but this is a problem if I end my turn with the sniper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Jade Star posted:

Did you install any mods? Some mods remove the delay time after pressing overwatch. This could ruin the trick for you.

Nope. Vanilla EU patched to whatever the latest version is.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe they left it in to make up for how bad snap shot is.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I feel like what they going for was splitting the sniper into two subtypes. Squad sight clearly promotes camping and staying far away. The other option would be a more mobile scout that's more effective at medium range. The problem is that we already have that class, it's the support.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think it's so much that snap shot is bad, it's just that squad sight is amazing. I think you would need to nerf it to bring the two into balance. Maybe give it the same penalty to aim if your target is out of visual range of he sniper itself.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Since this LP inspired me to pick up the game again I've been making good progress. Lots of nice tips in the videos. I do have an issue though, the game is just refusing to give me any assaults. I lost two good ones early on and the one I have left is almost constantly in the sick bay. Every rookie I take out seems to sort into support or heavy.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Willie Tomg posted:

There are worse things in the world than having a team thats trended toward a strong safe base of fire that destroys cover like support/heavy, with sprinter supports packing arc throwers. Especially after tactical rigging.

Tactical rigging doesn't exist in EU though.
Also I spent a lot of time and credits to research SHIVs but after taking one out in the field I wish I hadn't. Now I don't know if it's worth upgrading it or just to can the whole program.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
She saves them for Soylent Sundays at the cafeteria. Alien food has nothing on that poo poo.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Man I had a pretty good just wrecked by stupidity. I had the next class of UFO land (the one with a bay entrance). I decided to send my sniper up the hill to survey. Ended up activating 11 mutons and a berserker plus a group of thin men. My A team was completely decimated. I felt so stupid that I just restarted the game.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Wait, so Tiny Turtle is eventually going to be retired from MEC service? What is his job going to be? Hanging around the base with no limbs?
Maybe they'll change his nickname to 'Scared Turtle'.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Felinoid posted:

The Council has a weird grading system. Something like:
A = 100%
B = 60%-99.99%
C = 40%-60%
D = Did you even do anything at all this month?
F = gently caress it, you're all fired. We're going with Chris Salid's new security company.

A single chased-away (but not shot down) UFO or anything else that's red in that list at the top will get you a B instead of an A, which is what happened here. Meanwhile you could lose 20 soldiers in a month, while winning all the missions, and they'd probably be ecstatic. It's a little silly.

They should have made the current A rank an A+ or S rank and split the B then.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
After playing some of this game in the last few days I would just like to say that this is a terrible guide for anybody without your supernatural luck thus far Mr Star.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Even so, sometimes the aliens get a lucky shot and kill a guy in cover. It happens too often to me.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I've also had some devastating rocket misses. I'm talking about going haywire and blowing up a car I was using for cover, or hitting an adjacent wall and exploding on half my squad.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Does ITZ end if you miss? Or is it just 100% to hit since you can just keep going?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Ok so I'm guessing it has good synergy with Executioner.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Felinoid posted:

Jade can't leave Guava behind because Guava is secretly that bald dude in the shadows that contacts you "from the Council". He's just waiting for the right moment to backstab us all. :tinfoil:

Spoiler alert: that guy is actually the XCOM commander and he's completely insane.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Bootcha posted:

As in, the XCOM commander is pre-recording all these messages on youtube, and having them played on the big screens in his nuke bunker for all to see, only doing the slightest to hide his face, but everyone knows it's the commander and plays along as not to get face-murdered?

More like he's talking to himself in the mirror, and nobody else in the base has any idea of what's going on.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I started over three times in the play through that this LP inspired. Don't sweat it.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Apparently it's quite possible to beat the game without ever triggering a battleship. I wish there was some other way to upgrade the base rocket launcher.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I think the medkit boost is really the way to go, especially after you get the improved medkit. Supports usually have decent aim and if you give them a good rifle then they can hold their own in a fight without investing into the combat upgrades.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Brainamp posted:

Given how buggy the cheevos in this game are, not much point in going after them totally legit. Several hundred hours in this game and I still haven't ever gotten the "get all research" one.

I would have had this one if I had done the blaster launcher dammit!

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
A 115 aim sniper (scope included) can pretty much hit 99/100 shots from across the map, you're just going for the comedy factor now, aren't you?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Felinoid posted:

SHIVs may neuter Sectoid Commanders, but the other psionic enemy can rip them apart on account of both Psi Lance and Rift working on them, when they have a Will score of 0. Fortunately if you've played the game you'll know when each is going to show up, so you can plan accordingly.

I can see why the math works out, but this makes no sense. If the psionic attack is mental (that is, it can be mitigated by a strong personality) then it makes no sense for it to destroy inanimate matter. Oh well, video game logic.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah that does make sense in the game, the only thing that's weird is that rift could be affected by will. It gave me a very nasty surprise in the last mission (thankfully I wasn't playing on ironman so I could simply reload my save.)

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Gamerofthegame posted:

:stare:

How did they get so many crits?! 70% crit chance the entire mission.

Sadly the video has enemy and research spoilers.

Probably has something to do with the constant flanking.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Well according to the XCOM wiki a SHIV with a plasma cannon has a 20% base crit chance and a foundry project can boost that up to 40%, so I'm not sure where the other 30% comes from other than a flanking/close quarters bonus.

http://xcom.wikia.com/wiki/S.H.I.V.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
The SHIVs are probably remote controlled drones, no chance of them going rogue.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I love those rare moments when an enemy spawns or runs right into 4 shots of overwatch fire. Of course I've also seen all 4 miss before :shepicide:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Hey I notice that in this LP (and some other EW LPs I've seen), the firing animation always plays before an enemy dies, leading to a weird animation sequence of stagger>die. On my base EU game, if a shot kills an enemy it just goes right to the death animation and then displays the damage later. Or is that only with the cinematic camera?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Veloxyll posted:

The first room has just basic sectoids. If you can't beat that with rifles, I don't know what to say

Does the Arc thrower count as starting equipment?

Is the mission different in EW? Because in EU the first room has a sectoid commander too and then two cyberdisk spawns.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I think a lot of people take the geoscape too literally when trying to reason out the gameplay choices. I always saw it as an abstraction of the alien war. Obviously the aliens are not just fighting one tiny yet improbably strong human force who can only field 4-6 agents to one location on the globe at a time. It's sort of a metaphor for the real war going on. I think the panic management does a good job of reinforcing the narrative.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Wow so at this point that SHIV seems better than some of your human soldiers. If you can keep up with the upgrades and give it a plasma cannon it should serve you well into the late game.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Random Hajile posted:

I can't re-watch now to confirm, but in the video where he intercepted a UFO but immediately disengaged, didn't Jade Star mention that your satellites only get shot down if you ignore a bogey completely?

If that's the case, stealthy satellites wouldn't be terribly useful - if something shows up that's too strong to be shot down, simply giving chase then running away is enough protection. It doesn't seem like UFOs get spotted often enough that you're likely to see one while your interceptors are all under repair, either. Assuming you have adequate coverage, anyway.

Yeah it's more of a newbie crutch than anything. If you don't know what you're doing and start rearming or transferring interceptors randomly you can end up in a tight spot.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
It's definitely gotta be "Hoss".

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Google the term Hoss Delgado.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
If they don't even let athletes drug themselves, they sure as hell are not going to allow them to compete with gene mods.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Just assault the alien base already! The anticipation is killing me.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe it's just not that easy to fix? It might break the weapon switching mechanics on such a scale that it would take way too much effort to recode. I still consider it an exploit (but that doesn't mean I don't use it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know what it is about your videos, but they always bug out on me when I watch them on YouTube through the iPad app. The audio is fine but the video tends to stutter and then run at double speed to catch up. It never happens to other videos. This game can even bug out YouTube.

• Locked thread