Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Entropic posted:

I bet Dubai could pull off a Winter Olympics.

Dubai indoor ski centre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Germstore posted:

They probably forgot the backflow suppressor on the Olympic flame. There will be no survivors at the opening ceremony.

Putin could revigorate an old Olympic tradition...

1988 Seoul Summer Olympics posted:

Live doves were released during the Opening Ceremony as a symbol of world peace, but a number of the doves were burned alive by the lighting of the Olympic cauldron. As a result of protests following the incident, the last time live doves were released at the Opening Ceremony was in 1992 in Barcelona, hours before the flame was lit. Balloon doves were released in 1994 at the Lillehammer Winter Games and paper doves were used at the Atlanta Ceremony in 1996.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Toad on a Hat posted:

Okay I'm sorry but what the hell?

If this was anyone other than the AP I would think that it was a misused Onion article.

Ahahaha! I can easily imagine Russian intelligence services spying on some of the guests just in case the Norwegian biathlon team turns out to be an Al Qaida sleeper cell, but publically admitting that there are surveillance cameras everywhere including bathrooms is immensely stupid. Then again, if this is the minister responsible for arrangements in Sochi...

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Croccers posted:

Can you make vodka from dog?

If you have dog piss coming from tap then by all logic vodka comes from dog.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Femur posted:

If your water is brown, shouldn't you leave it running to try and clear it out? And point at a wall so it doesn't spray outside tub?

No no no, it will corrode a hole into the wall! Sheesh you westerners want to sabotage this event.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, that's some good stuff. Apparently, marmalade is the one thing Russians won't skimp on.

Among other things, Russians put marmalade in their tea. Not sure if quality marmelade really stands out in that usage, though.

Unfortunately the marmalades have already been taken away from the breakfast buffet after surveillance cameras recorded a western visitor attempting to sabotage the Olympic games by smearing marmalade all over their bodies to make dogs attack them.

:stonk: I... I would rather sleep in a cold tent surrounded by stray dogs than in that building structure pile of cinder blocks.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Fojar38 posted:

both the us and the russians took the technology from the nazis

Or a little more accurately, they took the rocketry experts from the Nazis. Much of the relevant technologies still needed to be developed, despite the original German breakthroughs, but it's a lot easier when you have access to the leading experts in the world.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

seriously guys, somebody needs to do something about that leaking tarp

We open the door, overnight the speed skate track finished. Watch the dog.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

I thought Dervishes were found in the Middle East only.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Tarp time!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Grim Up North posted:

:laffo: Need for speed "sportsman" is a flag bearing VIP.

Up there with the first female cosmonaut in respectability!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

This manager was picked to read the Olympic vow because she was the one that could read.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

So it's Tron now?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

This choreography looks so smooth and well planned I'm surprised if two lines don't collide at some point.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Are they taking a marathon now?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Is this the Chechen terrorist attack?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Are they emptying all Red Army artillery forces warehouses of out of date TNT tonight?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

serious norman posted:

what is that? its so loving ugly

It's the Olympic diving platform they built before someone told them this was going to be a Winter event.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

do they need another $780 million to do it? :mmmhmm:

Nyet, you lay grass tarp over snow tarp. very affordable tarp industry striving

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

poo poo now i kinda want to see the fireworks

The fifth ring was supposed to detonate a nuke underneath Putin's chair but Alfa Group defused the ring at last second.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

teen witch posted:

I was browsing wiki on previous Olympic mascots and came across this...thing for the Atlanta games.

Apparently he didn't go over so well.

Still not as nightmare inducing as London's Penis Monster From Outer Space

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Blizzy_Cow posted:

Holy poo poo I forgot that guy existed. Fucker gave me a couple nightmares when I was a kid. Wasn't there a sega games made where you play as him.

Izzy's Quest for the Olympic Rings

Where's Izzy when he's needed? OOOO* :(

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Polonium good for you have some nature's own dog repellant Russian invention da

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Judging by the lock jamming, yes it's some super cheap type. Or installed wrong.

And this is why the toilets are installed in tandem, so you're not stuck in the bathroom without company.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Rambling Robot posted:

what about Russia?

this is a scandal.

as a punishment we will shot five dogs and all their puppies. in public.

pistol misfire at fifth puppy

we transfer to rehearsal footage of puppy shooting

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Fauxtool posted:

Back to exciting door-chat. Why didnt he make a smaller hole, put his hand through and unlock the door?

Erh, it's a toilet. Even in Sochi I think you open the lock from the inside, not outside.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

DSauer posted:

If you need to make a hole a door you don't half rear end it. Once you've made up your mind to go through a door no matter what your only concern is doing it in rear end bad rear end a manner as possible.

He could have made his exit through the wall and not the door, though. If I understand anything about construction techniques the wall is made of loose bricks.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

7thBatallion posted:

Holy gently caress. How did she survive that?

That helmet paid itself. It cracked but kept her noggin intact.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

arfwitz-barkenau

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Grey Fox V2 posted:

Blogs are losing their poo poo over this aren't they? Holy poo poo everyone stop the presses we ALMOST saw side boob but didn't actually see anything!

Come on I want to know what's underneath that skintight jumpsuit?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

In other news... Norwegian authorities are now gunning down Russian stray dogs coming across the border across the frozen border river :black101: This winter two dogs have been shot. Norwegians have also taken casualties in this border war: last year the dogs killed a Norwegian moose.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Thora posted:

A reminder that this happened during the opening ceremony.

Eh, that's normal. The guy who tripped is the Austrian ice hockey team's Finnish coach, Alpo Suhonen. Finnish coaches just are prone to do that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjpYaBZVyro

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

raditts posted:

Why do all the Scandinavian curling uniforms look like something a suburban '50s dad would wear?

Because they really want to make curling the golf of winter games.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

angerbeet posted:

drat, I've bought these kilometre long skis for nothing.

Remember how you laughed when I showed off my ski boots that are longer than my skis... :smug:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

I just don't know what the point of wearing a balaclava is if you put it on when the cameras are already rolling. Kind of half-hearted act from both the Pussy Riot and the police, 32.65 points. Or is Olympic a non-subjective sport?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Agrajag posted:

I feel sorry that they don't have internet access at their desks. :smug:

Some companies have forbidden watching live sports feeds at desk because everyone in the organization tuning in at the same time will overload their network.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

davebo posted:

I certainly didn't pick up on there being 51 billion dollars put into it, but it did end up going a lot smoother than I expected. I guess we can just assume that had Russia spent a normal amount on the games it would have been a disaster, but that any disaster can be avoided with a few dozen extra billion dollars.

"When I first came here, this was all swamp. Everyone said to me, 'Vladimir Vladimirovich, you are daft to build an Olympic village on a swamp!', but I built it all the same, just to show them. It sank into the swamp. So I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So I built a third. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp. But the fourth one stayed up. And that's what you're going to get, comrade, the strongest ski resort in all of Russia!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Captain Backslap posted:

Didn't go that poorly? Compared to what?

Most of the athletes were happy with the arrangements. The loudest complaints I heard were about the halfpipe not being up to international standards during the first week. Some of the ski jumps also hadn't been tested at the speeds that top athletes would be coming down at and they had to be changed at last minute. I also heard some criticism from cross country skiers about the ski track turning into slush in the warm weather after a few skiers and even though the worst trouble spots were reported during training the organizers didn't place staff to repair the damages during the race. I think one athlete tripped and broke a ski because of this.

• Locked thread