Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

Oh no, Western Tourist, it is one of our many Sochi wild dogs!

*plywood dog falls over*

moving along, please

At least it will make it easy to reenact the 4th wall scene from Blazing Saddles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ChickenHeart posted:

I am completely in love with this thread.

I can't wait to see some good examples of authentic Sochi fine dining as the big day draws near.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

This is a pretty neat site tracking all the corruption related with the construction surge:
http://sochi.fbk.info/en/

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

This is the best song for listening enjoyment while reading this thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9wgI6rCbY4

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Agrajag posted:

Anybody know where the $51 billion dollars came from? Is it all sponsorship money? I am having trouble believing that any major financial institution would be stupid enough to give out a loan to such a corrupt regime.

The IOC does provide some help, there's also the standard corporate sponsorship tpoo but it's pretty much up to the host country to pay for the whole thing.

It's basically a big money losing venture as shown by the Montreal Olympics.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lawman 0 posted:

its cool because the arabian peninsula is basically absolute monarchy, absolute vassal monarchy, absolute monarchy with a cool tv channel, federation of absolute monarchies with compensation issues, sleepy absolute monarchy and the republic of thunderdome.

Also everyone is fat due to burning hot weather and awesome feasts.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Justin Godscock posted:

Now I'm picturing a skier blasting out of the box, seeing the literal piss slope and freaking out live on TV then stumbling down the mountain, eating a pile of it then violently vomiting as NBC cuts to their commentators who are pale-faced and silent.

This is going to be amazing.

speaking of ski slopes, the russians hosed those up leading to injuries during the practice sections since the jumps were too steep.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Acquire Currency! posted:

... what original stalker movie? You better not be trolling bro

Andrei Tarkovsky made a film based on the Roadside Picnic book.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

E.Nigma posted:

is triathlon, we give gun, you run from dog, wolf and hind.

finally a event to get me to seriously watch the olympics besides beach volleyball.

It's such a brilliant piece of comedy since one of the selling point behind hosting the olympics is be able to show a shiny, unrealistic version of the country and therefore
help build prestige on the world stage.

etalian fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 6, 2014

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ReptileChillock posted:

Even if by some chance you get to the fire hose, you'll find it's running off municipal pressure (60psi or less) and will not operate as intended.

These are straight up garden hose fixtures, and the reason they're in the bathroom is because they're tapping off the municipal supply. In a "real" building, these would be fed off a separate stand pipe with a pump to keep the pressure at like 100+ psi. The hose is like 2x the diameter of the supply pipe, by the time anything trickles out of the nozzle, you're dead.

At least you can enjoy firehose battles with a friend while having some communal dumping.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

well it's better than having a town overrun with stray cats

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

I know it's sad to have the dogs dying, but it's just hilarious to think of Russians struggling to deal with a tidal wave of dogs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMO7cNFo5RE

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

t3h z0r posted:

Hey guys, poo party in the hallway.

Still not sure if I'd laugh or cry at a downhill skier rounding a corner at 200 mph and hitting a dog.

so to which code were all the bathrooms built?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

you irl posted:

"These massive jumps really give the athletes a chance to show off" their shattered clavicles

i'm still waiting for a tourist to die from the Halliburton tier shower

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

Those are some true bros right there

Asking the classic "pass some more toilet paper" request has never been easier

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

Reminds me of the bathroom scene from Full Metal Jacket

do Marines seriously poo poo next to and across from each other? Cuz that is some team buildign right there

Yes the whole military experience is all about communal living in everything from bathing to communal making GBS threads

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SickZip posted:

Finishing bootcamp without accidently touching another man's penis is one of my finest accomplishments. Not all of us made it.

Did they give out a badge reward for the accomplishment?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXIvl_GladI

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

is that just the front page because goddamn those gays are fit

maybe it's just a app to shame you into going to the gym?

I imagine the gross rooms were just a clever plot to prevent gays and straights from bumping uglies during the olympics.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zeno-25 posted:

Noooooo not Grindr, gently caress you Russia :argh:

What happens if you hit the Ok I want gay sex button?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Also the Olympic torch went out multiple times on the journey and was also manufactured in Siberia

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SickZip posted:

The Pussy Riot furor is straight up propaganda. There was instant controversy over their arrest, Germany arrests a copycat doing the same in Cologne and is trying them for upto 3 years and no one gives a poo poo. Its the liberal equivalent of the multilingual coke controversy.

AKA a good SJW trap story

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

There is no way this idiot isn't going to get someone killed with this.

No stone was left unturned in planning the perfect troll event

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rapdawg posted:

Is showing up and walking around smug at how poorly done everything is better or worse than not attending for political reasons?

I just imagine Obama and Biden taking an hour off and trading jabs at Russia back and forth like a buddy comedy.

"Man, I hope they put Snowden up in a Mariot."

Sochi would be a good place a Diamond Joe bender since it would remind him of Tijuana

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

abraham linksys posted:

:stare: I've never seen whatever this skiing event is before, is it just basically the super bumpy bits from motocross for 30 seconds with a backflip at the end? That owns

vvv well i'm not usually stuck in a hotel room when the olympics are on so i don't watch em often

no snow yeti like in ski free

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

WebDog posted:

You forget you have to avoid the dogs and the Russian Guard trying to shoot them.

Russians missed a good chance to fix the boring decathlon concept

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

CaptainHollywood posted:

I gotta say, I don't think Sochi would getting this much flak if it wasn't for the fact that this whole thing cost 50 Billion dollars. If this whole thing cost 5 Billion I think we would be a little more lenient. Putin has literally become a supervillain.

It's also a masterpiece of black comedy from the hilarious hotel rooms to all the failed russian PR spin attempts.

If anything it showcases how the Olympics really brings out the unique aspects of each country, which in Russia's case is awe inspiring graft and also a desperate need to seem strong on the world stage.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

CaptainHollywood posted:

I just find myself saying, "I expected this from North Korea, but not you Russia"

I also makes me think of the Bush administration and all the horribly forced photo-ops desperately selling the image of a strong powerful country to the rest of the world.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

the russian alphabet is so loving weird

it's based on the greek alphabet.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

madeupfred posted:

our great russian innovations include: corn machine, hedgehog, water, alphabet

also great idea to have dashcam in every car so you can see brave Slav killing boar with toilet seat.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ZombieReagan posted:

Ok I'll give the Russians one thing, they still have a functioning space program.

The history of the Russian space program is pretty lol.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Paradox Personified posted:

Care to go into detail for us? You can't vaguely allude to something so fantastic and just walk away now, don't leave us hanging. :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsDY1Ha83M8

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

oh gently caress yeah, i am totally bookmarking this to watch later. thanks! :D

It also explains how Sochi got picked by Putin, basically he and his rich henchmen loved alpine skiing at Sochi and this somehow made a reasonable qualified pick for the winter olympics.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

precision posted:

A woman I know who is from Russia said this to me once "Russian women are the most beautiful women on the planet, and then they turn 30 and very quickly become the ugliest". I have seen nothing but evidence to support this.

They revert to their true Baba Yagu form when they get a green card.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sir AIDS posted:

Lol, that would be really funny

clever slavs basically built massive buildings on a swamp lol.

I guess they must really like the castle scene from Holy Grail.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

WebDog posted:

Speaking of mascots, Australia produced the unofficial Fatso the fat-arsed wombat.

"the battlers' prince"

The statue was to commemorate the volunteers who worked at the event. Someone pinched it a few years ago.

Fatso was created by the team behind The Dream a late night satire on the Olympics that gleefully shredded events with adding music and absurd commentary.
He was a piss-take on the official Sydney mascots and ended up becoming more popular than them.

It caused a small PR disaster when the Australian Olympic Committee attempted to ban a Fatso stuffed toy from appearing in the arms of medal winning athletes (subsequently appearing on a commemorative stamp) as they'd spent $15 million buying the rights of the boxing kangaroo and promoting the death out of the official mascots that were dubbed "Olly, Millie, and Dickhead" by the show.

You can see they were pretty bloody unremarkable.

The Dream was also really popular with the athletes since getting interviewed would get you a weird prize gift, which were seen as one of a kind collector items.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Three Olives posted:

The best thing about the door is that it is a simple everyday kind of problem bound to happen with construction on the scale of the Olympic Village but the overall narrative is that the Olympics are a disaster so a minor problem like this gets amplified by social media.

I think the Sochi Olympics are whole another level of hilarious stupidity seeing how the costs ballooned to 50 billion dollars and also how it exposes the worst systematic flaws in the Russian Federation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

zakharov posted:

This dude put his phone number on his snowboarding helmet and his phone blew up with all the naked pics girls were sending him.

Being an Olympian must be nice.

The close proximity of the dorms also means it has lots of college-esque bumping uglies and wild partying too after each day of competition too

• Locked thread