Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Latest Update

---

Who's this rear end in a top hat?

The Spyro games were a series of 3 games made on the PS1 by Insomniac Games. Spyro was their first big hit, and gave Insomniac the springboard they needed to make other cool games you may have heard of, like Ratchet & Clank.

The PS1 trilogy of Spyro games are regarded as some of the best 3D platforming has to offer, and for good reason! They're fast paced, tight, varied, unique, and hell, just fun to play. Just pure collect-a-thon platforming at its absolute finest. A great soundtrack too, I loving mean it.

Spyro was very much a product of the 90s, though, and falls prey to a few silly XTREME things indicative of the time. It's part of the charm, I think.

Well, okay, they seem super keen. You said they only made three?

Well.... Eheeh. Kinda.

After the third game, Year of the Dragon, Insomniac decided to give up Spyro and switch gears a bit, being bought out by Sony and beginning to develop Ratchet & Clank. The license for Spyro ended up with Activision. Activision then published 3 more games: Enter the Dragonfly, A Hero's Tail, and Shadow Legacy. And they, especially Enter the Dragonfly, were huge piles of poo poo. Activision then decided "gently caress it" and put Sierra on the job, who rebooted the series and developed three more games.

We don't talk about those games.

Huh? Why don't yo-

Maybe someday I'll have a strong enough will to delve into the world of teenage-level dragonlove fanfiction and Insects Voiced By Wayne Brady. But today is not that day.

Well okay, what ARE you doing then?

I'm gonna be playing Spyro 1! I know a lot of things about Spyro, and I'm relatively good at the game, so I'm hoping to make this both informative and entertaining. The original trilogy of Spyro has a lot of quirk and pluck about it, and it has some interesting stories going on under the hood. How well do like The Police? You know the song at the credits to the Amanda Show? We'll get to those later.

Videos

Special note on the first video here - I uploaded it in 720p but Youtube did some funky poo poo and cropped some borders and that somehow degraded the quality to 480p. Still perfectly watchable, though, and I can't really afford to reupload it at the moment since my connection is loving GARBAGE (Thanks, coastal Rhode Island). Future episodes are gonna be a bit shorter and more manageable anyway, and I'll make sure everything goes through fine, thanks to the Sandcastle giving me a bit of advice.

Honestly, you can probably skip it, the commentary's not up to snuff, really, you're only missing the boring beginning levels anyway.

NO LISTEN TO ME fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jul 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Just to get the thread started: Something everyone needs to know.

:mmmhmm:

Seriously though, Spyro LPs are always welcome in my books. Being this informative is a nice bonus. :) Looking forward to this.

Yapping Eevee fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 6, 2014

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I don't know what you're talking about, dildos and dragons have nothing to do with each other.

:unsmigghh:

NO LISTEN TO ME fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 7, 2014

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.
Pretty rad so far! The Spyro games have always had a nice place in my heart, it's kinda nice reliving them through watching someone play. Keep it up!

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

Rau's about to go Big Brother Barbarian on some motherfuckers, that's for sure.
You pretty much covered all but one thing in the first world of the game.

The one thing you (probably) forgot about was the roll. Which isn't too big a deal, since it was only in this game of the original trilogy that you have it. Not to mention, with all the tutorials, I'm pretty sure nobody mentions it. It's not too useful, anyway, except against the dogs in the Toasty boss world, where you can dodge left or right, if there's enough room, to avoid the body slam. :v:

I'm a big fan of the original Spyro Trilogy, though, with Year of the Dragon probably being my favorite. :keke: I've never really played any of the rest of the Spyro games, but from most accounts, I should be counting my blessings for that.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

DetectiveDorian posted:

You pretty much covered all but one thing in the first world of the game.

The one thing you (probably) forgot about was the roll. Which isn't too big a deal, since it was only in this game of the original trilogy that you have it. Not to mention, with all the tutorials, I'm pretty sure nobody mentions it. It's not too useful, anyway, except against the dogs in the Toasty boss world, where you can dodge left or right, if there's enough room, to avoid the body slam. :v:

I'm a big fan of the original Spyro Trilogy, though, with Year of the Dragon probably being my favorite. :keke: I've never really played any of the rest of the Spyro games, but from most accounts, I should be counting my blessings for that.

Ah yes, I forgot about the roll! To be honest, the only times I've ever used it were on accident, I just completely blocked in my mind that it existed, because it's so useless.

Speaking of things I just recorded the second world, and it's being split into 2 parts, and just from recording it, it went a lot better. I talked more clearly, said some more info, and now I feel sort of bad that the first part here is sorta weak. Oh well. I'll upload it overnight and by the time I wake up it'll be up.

Sytakan
Jul 26, 2012

Ohyes.
I think I've been on the internet too long. When I read "Bad Dragon Appreciation Station"... I though of something else entirely. Immediately jumped in to figure out just what the hell this was doing here. Completely missed the Spyro part.

Nice LP though. You've got promise.

Blue Ghost
Dec 12, 2012
Why do the dragon's have a giant dragon head as a doorway? It would be like having a giant human skull as the door into your house... now I kind of want to do that.

Good start to the LP, if a little long winded in the intro.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Blue Ghost posted:

Why do the dragon's have a giant dragon head as a doorway? It would be like having a giant human skull as the door into your house... now I kind of want to do that.

Good start to the LP, if a little long winded in the intro.

Yeah, I apologize, I got a bit carried away with myself. there'll be less waffling about in the future.

Also we could learn a lot from dragon architecture. Would you want to invade a place that has giant human heads scattered about? It'd be like something out of an HR Giger thing. With less dicks

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Aaaaaaand new video, y'all.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Spyro 1 is an amazing game with really great music and awesome level design, and this LP owns so far.

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

The way you talk about music and being a musician, I wouldn't mind hearing some of the music you've made, NLTM. :keke:

Anyway, though, I have had breaded and fried gator tail nuggets before, a few years ago, when I went to Panama City Beach, Florida. A place called Pineapple Willie's, if I remember right. It tasted almost exactly like chicken nuggets, only it was dark meat, as opposed to the white meat of say, McDonald's nuggets, and surprisingly tender, with how strong alligators can be, you'd think their muscles would be a little tougher.

Or at least, I thought that. :v:

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

DetectiveDorian posted:

The way you talk about music and being a musician, I wouldn't mind hearing some of the music you've made, NLTM. :keke:

Anyway, though, I have had breaded and fried gator tail nuggets before, a few years ago, when I went to Panama City Beach, Florida. A place called Pineapple Willie's, if I remember right. It tasted almost exactly like chicken nuggets, only it was dark meat, as opposed to the white meat of say, McDonald's nuggets, and surprisingly tender, with how strong alligators can be, you'd think their muscles would be a little tougher.

Or at least, I thought that. :v:

Yeah, I thought it'd be tougher too. I've heard snake meat is the same way.

And yeah! My music's all here, but I hope you're not expecting anything special, I'm still getting better.

Also fair warning if you're Internet Allergic to ponies don't bother.

E: Listening to it again, this is probably one I'm most proud of, and carries a lot of the same instrumentation throughout, despite being a medley, and showcases a lot of what I liked about Copeland's work on Spyro. As lame a dream as it might be, it'd be a dream come true to work on a large game's soundtrack.

NO LISTEN TO ME fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 7, 2014

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

No worries, I don't have a knee-jerk hate-boner for anything on the internet, really, and I'm mostly neutral to ponies, so it's all good. :keke:

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

I like how you put that after the link. Also your avatar is very bizarre.

So is Spyro popular because it is in earnest a good game, or did it just grab everyone's attention when they were younger and the series is now viewed through rose tinted glasses?

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

CrazySalamander posted:

So is Spyro popular because it is in earnest a good game, or did it just grab everyone's attention when they were younger and the series is now viewed through rose tinted glasses?

It's a really good game series. At least the first three. It only gained in quality in two and three.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

CrazySalamander posted:

Well, I'm not sure how objective of an angle you want to look at this at, but I suppose we can look at some review scores at the time:

...I think next time would be a good time to talk about what the gently caress happened with Enter the Dragonfly.

Anyway, it was a good game at the time, and was praised for its controls and its graphics. There were some new tech in the first Spyro, including the first Level of Detail stuff seen on the PS1, with models and textures and stuff degrading in quality as you move further away from them, making the game run better. It's like in Mario 64, where Mario switches to a low poly model when he's far away.

Hyperman1992
Jul 18, 2013

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

...I think next time would be a good time to talk about what the gently caress happened with Enter the Dragonfly.

What? Load times that rivaled Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex, bad framerates, and sound issues made the game bad?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Spyro was a good game, and you are doing a good LP

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Hyperman1992 posted:

What? Load times that rivaled Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex, bad framerates, and sound issues made the game bad?

Sonic 06-level load times, terrible framerate, graphical issues, unrealized ideas, the game being pushed out for a christmas release when it was LITERALLY A LITTLE OVER A THIRD DONE, with TONS of cut content. I've heard of saves locking and saves corrupting too. It wasn't great.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

all in time for the series to be saved by a new beginning

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

crowfeathers posted:

this is in spyro 3 and it makes me so mad

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

crowfeathers posted:

Reading that made my eyes throw up a little.

Besides we all know the true revival of the Spyro franchise wasn't until Skylanders made its creators richer than the greediest of dragons.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

gently caress Tree Tops

Tree Tops is actually really fun, I think, if a little bit of a pain when you don't know exactly what you're doing. I lose way more lives on Misty Bog to those loving enemies.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

This thread made me realize I've never actually played Hero's Tail.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

morallyobjected posted:

Tree Tops is actually really fun, I think, if a little bit of a pain when you don't know exactly what you're doing. I lose way more lives on Misty Bog to those loving enemies.

Tree Tops can still lay claim to countless scars on my childhood. Sure I died a lot on Misty Bog because of those loving frogs, but being unable to fully clear a game because my dumb kid brain can't figure out how ramps lead to other ramps is terrible. There was a dragon in Haunted Towers that was a bit tricky to get to too.

crowfeathers posted:

This thread made me realize I've never actually played Hero's Tail.

Well it had this guy

Who kinda looks like they took Spyro and just pulled an OC Donut Steel

NO LISTEN TO ME fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Feb 7, 2014

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Well it had this guy

Who kinda looks like they took Spyro and just pulled an OC Donut Steel

Still can't be worse than Shadow Legacy

I can't wait to gain experience and level up my Spyro, fuckin' A

Fun fact: Shadow Legacy was the last original series game to be made.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Tree Tops is a bullshit level that can gently caress itself. Screw Tree Tops.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Jakuzure Nonon posted:

One thing a bit disappointing/peculiar about Tree Tops:

Here's the music for High Caves in world 3

And here's the music for Tree Tops

:arghfist::mad:

Oddly enough, High Caves had a unique track in PAL regions. Why this is, I dunno.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
So you might say you were in-Spyro-ed to make music because of this game? :v:

I couldn't unhear that pun every single time you said "inspired" I'm so sorry

Hyperman1992
Jul 18, 2013

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

this is in spyro 3 and it makes me so mad

That is fantastic.

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Sonic 06-level load times, terrible framerate, graphical issues, unrealized ideas, the game being pushed out for a christmas release when it was LITERALLY A LITTLE OVER A THIRD DONE, with TONS of cut content. I've heard of saves locking and saves corrupting too. It wasn't great.

oh. Maybe I still have some rose colored glasses, because I really didn't think it was THAT bad...

Jakuzure Nonon posted:

I may have not played much Spyro 1 (Played more of 2 and 3), but there is one level that is still burned into my mind. Screw Tree Tops!

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

what the gently caress is skylanders and what does it have to do with spyro?

Hyperman1992
Jul 18, 2013

Mortimer posted:

what the gently caress is skylanders and what does it have to do with spyro?

Its essentially "hmm, how can we get kids to buy lovely action figures and kill a video game franchise at the same time?"

Apparently It's working really well for them

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

One thing a bit disappointing/peculiar about Tree Tops:

Here's the music for High Caves in world 3

And here's the music for Tree Tops

:arghfist::mad:

Oddly enough, High Caves had a unique track in PAL regions. Why this is, I dunno.

You Americans never got that track? That's pretty sad, because it was really good.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Jakuzure Nonon posted:

You Americans never got that track? That's pretty sad, because it was really good.

There are a few tracks that NTSC regions didn't get, especially in Spyro 3, it's weird.

drat euros

Hyperman1992 posted:

Its essentially "hmm, how can we get kids to buy lovely action figures and kill a video game franchise at the same time?"

Apparently It's working really well for them

Jesus I didn't realize it made THAT much money. It's weird that it has the Spyro name on it considering Spyro is just a single character thrown in the mix, and as far as I understand doesn't have much else to do with the game at all. It's like calling the next Smash game The Legend of Zelda: Super Smash Bros.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Honestly, at this point, they've pretty much completely excised Spyro from the Skylanders series.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I was a kid when I got Enter the Dragonfly and I remember being crushed by disappointment as I played it :negative:

Hyperman1992
Jul 18, 2013
I just hope we never reach the point where if you ask a kid what Spyro is, he responds with "He's one of the characters in Skylanders, right?" :shepicide:

That track really was :krad:, I wonder why we didn't get it...

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Jesus I didn't realize it made THAT much money.

Yup. In fact, last christmas, it and COD where The number one and two in terms of sales in december in the US.

All is lost for a reboot spyro game, or a real one that will be anywhere close to the old ones.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Kurtofan posted:

I was a kid when I got Enter the Dragonfly and I remember being crushed by disappointment as I played it :negative:

Fun fact: I bought Enter the Dragonfly when it came out but I've never actually played it. My older brother played it before me and it was so awful he returned it immediately so I would never have to experience that disappointment.

But enough about bad Spyro games, let's talk about good Spyro games, namely this one.

Is it just me, or does this game have much more devious secrets than the two that came after it? I remember it blowing my mind the first time I glided up on top of what I thought was the level boundary in Stone Hill only to find a ton of gems and an egg thief. :aaa:
Then I got that same feeling again later in Cliff Town when I realized that huge mesa in the background wasn't just set dressing but a fully explorable area. :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I must be weird, because I've completed EtD a few times and, eh, I've played much better.

Such as these, Spyro 1 may be my most played game ever, I got it like 10/12 years ago and play it around 2-3 times a year. All three of them, they're just so good.

• Locked thread