Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

better luck next time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro Creep
May 14, 2013

There's no time, hurry up!

Everything's so fantastic!
Oh, this is rad, and kind of a neat coincidence seeing this thread pop up. I never got the chance to play the full version of the first game until about a week ago, just the various demos on the Toys R Us discs they'd send out in the mail every so often. But I loved what little of it I played back then, and it totally holds up!

I love how much attention you're giving to the score. Copeland, along with Mancell and Mothersbaugh, created some of the most iconic and memorable music of that generation of games, and the series they were part of definitely wouldn't have been the same without them. That 8-note motif has been stuck in my head ever since I first played it, and that's okay! :v:

2 and 3 refined a lot of elements, and the visuals are obviously better, but this game has a certain charm that the other two are missing, kinda like the Crash games. It's just a really cute, lighthearted romp.

Also, your "Toasty" remix is ace, you should do more of those! I'd like to see what you can do with one of the more atmospheric, less in-your-face tracks like Dark Hollow.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
So would you consider what game after the 3rd game was disastrous or the Sierra Reboot because we could totally have some fun on that subject.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Oh man, the nostalgia. The Spyro series were probably my favourite as a kid, along with the Crash Bandicoot series. This was the most exciting thing ever to get for a birthday present (still have that case):

Like others have said, generally the games have aged pretty well-I'd say the worst parts are probably the Spyro 3 minigames, like the skateboarding parts, but they were cringe worthy even when it first came out.

After Spyro 3 I got Season of Ice, but the only thing I really remember about it is the lovely camera angle. Then along came Enter the Dragonfly, and despite being hours and hours into the game I was convinced it was still basically the beginning since there had been next to no plot/cutscenes/etc. Then the credits rolled and welp :v:

Spyro 3 also had some interesting protection against piracy: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3030/keeping_the_pirates_at_bay.php

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Battle Pigeon posted:

I'd say the worst parts are probably the Spyro 3 minigames, like the skateboarding parts, but they were cringe worthy even when it first came out.

Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad. :colbert:

Speaking of the post-PS1 games, for what it's worth, I played exactly one of the Wii Spyro games (I think it was the third one of the reboot trilogy), and it was actually pretty fun. I mean it didn't really feel like Spyro, but it was leagues ahead of what I was expecting, my only other non-Insomniac Spyro game having been Enter the Dragonfly.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

SirDrone posted:

So would you consider what game after the 3rd game was disastrous or the Sierra Reboot because we could totally have some fun on that subject.

Enter the Dragonfly was super bad and kind of unforgivable. I haven't played Hero's Tail but I heard it's just mediocre instead of terrible, and I haven't played Shadow Legacy either but just from that gif posted earlier I think I don't want to.

Like Battle Pigeon up there, I also had Season of Ice. I don't think I ever finished it though. For a game about mobility and getting to faraway places, playing in an isometric view at such a low resolution was hell, you couldn't see where you were going at all.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Hero's Tail is fairly eh, but one thing is unforgivable: circle is Charge and square is Flame.

gently caress you High Impact. :argh:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Enter the Dragonfly was super bad and kind of unforgivable. I haven't played Hero's Tail but I heard it's just mediocre instead of terrible, and I haven't played Shadow Legacy either but just from that gif posted earlier I think I don't want to.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

how can so much action and deep systems be contained into one game

e: THE PLOT SOUNDS LIKE FANFICTION GODDAMN

quote:

During his journey, Red, the villain from Spyro: A Hero's Tail returns and decided to fight Spyro once again. After losing in a very short battle, it was revealed that Red was a pawn to the Sorcerer, the one responsible for trapping everyone in the Shadow Realm. Red decides to change his ways and help Spyro defeat the Sorcerer. After Spyro makes his way to the Sorcerer’s lair, the Sorcerer reveals himself to be a dragon with four wings who, like Spyro, is purple as well.

NO LISTEN TO ME fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 10, 2014

Hyperman1992
Jul 18, 2013

So Eurocom literally got their inspiration from fanfiction.net?

Now I see why I didn't play anything after Enter the Dragonfly...

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

trapping everyone in the Shadow Realm

And then Spyro duelled with Yu-Gi-Oh cards.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

yeah, it has the good old nintendo dark world light world gimmick that has never gotten dated or overused

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
You can still make the dark world/light world thing work though, considering how good Link Between Worlds was.

Shadow Legacy is not Link Between Worlds.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Finally recorded some more, video will be up tomorrow.

Would be tonight, but

welcome to rhode island

e: and this is a good day too

e2: and then i hosed up the audio which results in me being up at 6AM doing surgery. Have me in your prayers.

NO LISTEN TO ME fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Feb 11, 2014

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
And new video up.

Also triple post. Deal.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Wow, i had no idea you could actually hurt enemies with those windmill things, that's pretty great.

Anyway, Magic Crafters is just such a great world. It looks great, has great music, and the levels feel really huge and open. It's definitely one of the best two worlds. (The other one being Dream Weavers)

One thing i really like about the game, though, which really gets more noticeable in Magic Crafters, is how much effort went into the sound effects in the game, specifically enemy ones. Every enemy in the game just has really hilarious sound effects, from the druids chanting and screaming to the various noises enemies make when you kill them. It's just so goofy and full of personality.

Also, Dr Pepper is really good.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Oh god Spyro LP, clearing schedule.

Spyro 2 is my favorite, just for the cutscenes before each stage. I'll never understand why they took them out for Spyro 3. It's still a good game, but I really liked those cutscenes.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Nihilarian posted:

Oh god Spyro LP, clearing schedule.

Spyro 2 is my favorite, just for the cutscenes before each stage. I'll never understand why they took them out for Spyro 3. It's still a good game, but I really liked those cutscenes.

They were fun and goofy, and they added a bit of flavor, yeah. Sometimes they were brutal though, like the one in Magma Cone where one of the satyrs throws another into a volcano just to get their party hat, or whatever.

By the way I want to talk about how great a name Magma Cone is.

It's a volcano. Magma cone.

It's like how an alien would describe a volcano.

Wordybird
Oct 22, 2013

I like Chicken.
I like Liver.
Meow Mix Meow Mix please reconsider.
Magma Cone's residents are gloriously sadistic. Earthshapers pooping your party? Just murder them with various tools of destruction!

This LP is giving me more and more incentive to boot up Spyro on my Vita again. I didn't like it nearly as much as 2 and 3 back when I was a kid, but seeing these videos is persuading me to at least give it another shot. Keep up the good work.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Wordybird posted:

Magma Cone's residents are gloriously sadistic. Earthshapers pooping your party? Just murder them with various tools of destruction!

This LP is giving me more and more incentive to boot up Spyro on my Vita again. I didn't like it nearly as much as 2 and 3 back when I was a kid, but seeing these videos is persuading me to at least give it another shot. Keep up the good work.

Like I said before, 1 has a certain charm to it that the others don't, but I'd still say 3 is overall better.

2 was a bit unpolished in everything it implemented and 3 refined it.

So yeah that's why Spyro: Attack of the Rhynocs on GBA is the best Spyro game.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Like I said before, 1 has a certain charm to it that the others don't, but I'd still say 3 is overall better.

2 was a bit unpolished in everything it implemented and 3 refined it.

So yeah that's why Spyro: Attack of the Rhynocs on GBA is the best Spyro game.

Year of the Dragon also removed the double jump, which was one of the best things ever in Spyro 2 as far as sequence breaking and getting out of giving money to that goddamn bear. :argh:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

morallyobjected posted:

Year of the Dragon also removed the double jump, which was one of the best things ever in Spyro 2 as far as sequence breaking and getting out of giving money to that goddamn bear. :argh:
But it made up for it in spades in the end.

I never sequence break in Spyro 3, so I can enjoy the chase a little longer.

jobroskie
Mar 3, 2008

Am I pretty yet mommy?
I love Spyro. I 100% Spyro 2 one summer to unlock the mega fireball thing you get. The worst part about it was that by the time you got it you had no use for it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

jobroskie posted:

I love Spyro. I 100% Spyro 2 one summer to unlock the mega fireball thing you get. The worst part about it was that by the time you got it you had no use for it.

If you load a save file with that upgrade, then start a new game, you'll have it in the new game.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

crowfeathers posted:

If you load a save file with that upgrade, then start a new game, you'll have it in the new game.

It also helps if you want to get a few of the skill points you need to unlock the Epilogue (like those no-hit boss runs :argh:)

Hyperman1992
Jul 18, 2013

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

It also helps if you want to get a few of the skill points you need to unlock the Epilogue (like those no-hit boss runs :argh:)

well, that and the charge jump.

Is it wrong that I was able to do those for the first two bosses without the super flame?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Battle Pigeon posted:

Oh man, the nostalgia. The Spyro series were probably my favourite as a kid, along with the Crash Bandicoot series. This was the most exciting thing ever to get for a birthday present (still have that case):

You European bastard where were they selling those and how could this slip by me even though I was a child then?! :argh:
That's pretty cool, how many CDs did that case hold? And I can't tell if that's just the game and the CD case, or did it also include a PS1?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Hyperman1992 posted:

well, that and the charge jump.

Is it wrong that I was able to do those for the first two bosses without the super flame?

The first one isn't really that hard--you just have to focus and not take too many risks with his attack pattern. Second one can go to hell though.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I just love the name Gateway to Glimmer, it evokes exploration and that's kind of what I love in the Spyro series.

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

Girl you like them plants?
"No more blue thieves after Magic Crafters"

I see what you did there, NLTM ;)

(gently caress Treetops)

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Kurtofan posted:

I just love the name Gateway to Glimmer, it evokes exploration and that's kind of what I love in the Spyro series.

Man, PAL regions got a bunch of cool exclusive music, and a way better name than Ripto's Rage. Y'all suck.

Killrrhubarb posted:

"No more blue thieves after Magic Crafters"

I see what you did there, NLTM ;)

(gently caress Treetops)

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play! > gently caress Tree Tops

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Man, PAL regions got a bunch of cool exclusive music, and a way better name than Ripto's Rage. Y'all suck.

Really? I didn't know about the exclusive music.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Kurtofan posted:

Really? I didn't know about the exclusive music.

Yep

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

One thing a bit disappointing/peculiar about Tree Tops:

Here's the music for High Caves in world 3

And here's the music for Tree Tops

:arghfist::mad:

Oddly enough, High Caves had a unique track in PAL regions. Why this is, I dunno.

There were also some extra songs in Spyro 3, and probably Spyro 2 too, but the only one I can remember right now is Enchanted Towers getting its unique theme, instead of just reusing Byrd's.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Yep

There were also some extra songs in Spyro 3, but the only one I can remember right now is Enchanted Towers getting its unique theme, instead of just reusing Byrd's.

Thanks, curse my cursory thread reading :argh:

St Byrd's theme is so memorable to me, so I'm not sure that's such a bad thing :v:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Boxn posted:

You European bastard where were they selling those and how could this slip by me even though I was a child then?! :argh:
That's pretty cool, how many CDs did that case hold? And I can't tell if that's just the game and the CD case, or did it also include a PS1?

It's just the game and the case. It's pretty good-it has a little zipped mesh section on the inside cover for memory cards/etc, and a bunch of double sided inserts for "up to 14 discs and their manuals".

Apparently there was also a combo pack for Spyro 1, but the case is a boring black one with the PS1 logo rather than anything Spyro related. I don't see anything for YotD though.

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

Something I wish happened: In the beginning cutscene, the dragon says "It's been peaceful here in the five artisan worlds... or is it six"

I wish there was either 6 levels in the artisan homeworlds, or they changed that dialogue to four and five. Then there would be an extra little hint to the existence of Sunny Flight.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
He isn't talking about the Artisan levels, he's talking about worlds, as in Artisans, Peace Keepers etc.

The sixth one he's not too sure about would presumably be the final one, though that isn't as clear as the 2000 gems he's unsure about, which we can quite easily place - but that's for much later.

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

HMS Boromir posted:

He isn't talking about the Artisan levels, he's talking about worlds, as in Artisans, Peace Keepers etc.

The sixth one he's not too sure about would presumably be the final one, though that isn't as clear as the 2000 gems he's unsure about, which we can quite easily place - but that's for much later.

You're right. I simply misremembered the quote from the dragon. Somehow I got into my head that he said "five artisan worlds" rather than "five worlds". I imagine that he's forgetting the final one too, but I like to imagine he's forgetting Peace Keepers, because it's not as awesome as the other homeworlds :P

Archaedes
Nov 3, 2013

AinsleyAinsleyAinsley
AinsleyAinsleyAinsley
AinsleyAinsleyAinsley
You know, after playing this again, I have to say that Tree Top wasnt as bad as I remember it. Although the level is still designed by Satan and is unreasonably hard for the age of the target audience, I died way more on Misty Bog and Twilight Harbour. Seriously, gently caress Attack Frogs.

Although Tree Tops will still have that special spot in my nightmares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
This has little to do with Spyro but it has enough to do with the LP that I'll post it anyway.

Decided to work on some more music, tried to get that authentic feel, but

EastWeeeeeeeessssst :arghfist::mad:

• Locked thread