Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bacchante
May 2, 2012

Friends don't let friends do sarcasm.
I always enjoyed Spyro but, come to think of it, I'm not sure I ever finished any of the games. One thing about Gateway to Glimmer that always confused me was the fact that the title seemed to have very little to do with the majority of the game... And Year of the Dragon caused me no end of problems as a kid because I was so hilariously OCD about it that I didn't realize for some time that you weren't supposed to get everything on every level the first time you went there. C'est la vie.

Of course, around where I live, Skylanders is disgustingly popular and I die a little inside whenever I see the toys being sold in electronics stores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

Girl you like them plants?

Bacchante posted:

And Year of the Dragon caused me no end of problems as a kid because I was so hilariously OCD about it that I didn't realize for some time that you weren't supposed to get everything on every level the first time you went there. C'est la vie.

The thing is, you can get everything on every level the first time you go there, if you just break the game :P. I recommend checking out Just A Friend's LP if you haven't already, just to see the breaking that goes on.

Oh yeah, I wanted to talk about Croc. Croc was okay. He controlled really weird, like he was gliding. He was so floaty that it made a lot of the small platforming so hard that progressing was a pain. Also, the game was ridiculously easy to beat if you didn't go for 100%. It's a game I want to LP, however, because it's really cute, it's got some neat levels and the music is amazing.

Killrrhubarb fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 13, 2014

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Spyro 1 looks cool but what if Hunter... was a furry Legolas? He could team up with Lizard Frodo and save the world!

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

crowfeathers posted:

Spyro 1 looks cool but what if Hunter... was a furry Legolas? He could team up with Lizard Frodo and save the world!

Didn't this happen in Spyro 2? Except he teamed up with Goat Gandolf.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
Looking back on it Spyro 2 and 3 were more polished games with much more going on, but I think the level design in Spyro 1 is better. Because the designers had fewer tools like minigames and power ups to break up the pacing they had to use architecture and enemy placement instead and it shows. Most of my alltime favorite levels from the series are from the first game. There's simply nothing like Tree Tops or Gnorc Harbor anywhere in the squeals, and I think they're worse for it. It makes me sad that we never saw anymore ridiculous super charge jumps because man are those satisfying to pull off.

Hyperman1992
Jul 18, 2013

crowfeathers posted:

dijon du jour posted:

Yup.

Bacchante
May 2, 2012

Friends don't let friends do sarcasm.

Killrrhubarb posted:

The thing is, you can get everything on every level the first time you go there, if you just break the game :P. I recommend checking out Just A Friend's LP if you haven't already, just to see the breaking that goes on.

Yeah, I saw that. It was quite impressive, admittedly, but as someone who gets fairly involved in the storyline of games I don't think I could do that kind of cheesing. Then again, it would satisfy my obsessive completionism... Oh, the hard choices we Spyro fans must make.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
New video up.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

As much as I love Spyro, I remember nothing about the Magic Crafter's World. I know I've played it, though, because I looked up the next area and got hit by the nostalgia bat.

Wordybird
Oct 22, 2013

I like Chicken.
I like Liver.
Meow Mix Meow Mix please reconsider.
For whatever reason the bugs in High Caves terrified me as a kid. I wasn't particularly scared of creepy-crawlies, but something about the movement and shape of those bugs just got to me for some reason.

As for the eggs in Spyro 3, I'm fairly sure that it's 150. Every 150 years, 150 eggs are made. I guess the ones you collect in this game were late hatchers from the last batch or something.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

dijon du jour posted:

I was trying to make a joke about Dawn of the Dragon, but you're right, that did happen and I forgot about it.

Magic Crafter's World is the best world, of those I can remember. Running really drat fast is surprisingly amusing.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
The calls are coming from inside the house. The reboot was there from the beginning. It was all foreshadowing a new world order.

All politicians are reptilians and dragons watch my documentary on H2

The Marquis
Apr 19, 2013
It's been a long time since I played Spyro 1 but one of my favorite things to do is use the windmills in the area with the second to last egg thief to kill him. There's something about watching him sit on the other side of that pond doing his taunt animation and suddenly getting bonked on the head by a ballistic metal fan that tickles me every time.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
I love how those platform moving druids chant 'oww' when they get hit! The sound design in this game is just absolutely fantastic.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
High Caves is a really cool level, but those loving bugs sorta freaked me out as a bit as a kid.

And i definitely agree with you about the backgrounds in the game, they're all fantastic, and do a really great job of making the atmosphere the way it is.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
It's weird that for how much I've played the first 3 Spyros, I've never played any Ratchet and Clank game. Are they any good? I mean there's a bunch of them, so at least some have to be good, right?

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

It's weird that for how much I've played the first 3 Spyros, I've never played any Ratchet and Clank game. Are they any good? I mean there's a bunch of them, so at least some have to be good, right?

Well... Number 1 is average, 2 and 3 are excellent, Gladiator sucks, All 4 One is bad, Quest for Booty is good but short, A Crack in Time is good, Tools of Destruction is good and Into The Nexus is good. kalonZombie has done a LP of pretty much all of them which you can find on his youtube channel and on the forums.

Wordybird
Oct 22, 2013

I like Chicken.
I like Liver.
Meow Mix Meow Mix please reconsider.
On the whole, the Ratchet and Clank games are excellent. The first isn't so great, especially compared with the ones that come after it, but overall they're a really good set of games. More action and gunplay oriented than the Spyro games, obviously, but the platforming is still present and fun. Kalon Zombie has done a fair chunk of the series, so check out his LPs if you want to see what they're like. Or just go buy the Ratchet and Clank HD Trilogy. Either option works.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Wordybird posted:

On the whole, the Ratchet and Clank games are excellent. The first isn't so great, especially compared with the ones that come after it, but overall they're a really good set of games. More action and gunplay oriented than the Spyro games, obviously, but the platforming is still present and fun. Kalon Zombie has done a fair chunk of the series, so check out his LPs if you want to see what they're like. Or just go buy the Ratchet and Clank HD Trilogy. Either option works.

Man, between this, Persona 5, and Tales of Symphonia Chronicles, I kinda wish I had a PS3 handy. :negative:

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Killrrhubarb posted:

...Into The Nexus...

Wait, what?
*googles*
How the hell did I miss the release of this game. :psyduck: I've played every other game in the main series.
I need to go purchase this right now.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
And yeah I'm sure they're great and all, but I don't see anywhere online I can buy a lombax dildo so I'm still on the fence about all this.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Yeah they tend to just shove games out every year or so, I look at the PS3 shelf and hey look, another R&C game. Most of them are pretty good, play all that you can. Except A4O, it's terrible.

Insomniac are just great. :allears:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

And yeah I'm sure they're great and all, but I don't see anywhere online I can buy a lombax dildo so I'm still on the fence about all this.
This is Probably A Thing That Exists because Internet.

If you want to check out the games, there are two ongoing ones.

Going Commando is almost done.

Into The Nexus is just starting.

Both are by kalonZombie.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Killrrhubarb posted:

Well... Number 1 is average, 2 and 3 are excellent, Gladiator sucks, All 4 One is bad, Quest for Booty is good but short, A Crack in Time is good, Tools of Destruction is good and Into The Nexus is good. kalonZombie has done a LP of pretty much all of them which you can find on his youtube channel and on the forums.

How is 1 average? Just asking because I thought it was better than 2.

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

Kurtofan posted:

How is 1 average? Just asking because I thought it was better than 2.

Number 1 is considered by most fans as the worst in the original trilogy because the guns are boring and can't be leveled, you get less bolts and therefore it takes longer to buy things (esp. the ryno) Controls and the speed of the game is not so good (especially Magneboots ugh) and they really just needed to optimize stuff. But they fixed all that in 2!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Killrrhubarb posted:

Number 1 is considered by most fans as the worst in the original trilogy because the guns are boring and can't be leveled, you get less bolts and therefore it takes longer to buy things (esp. the ryno) Controls and the speed of the game is not so good (especially Magneboots ugh) and they really just needed to optimize stuff. But they fixed all that in 2!

I thought that gave 1 a more Spyro-like gamestyle, which I didn't really find in the sequel.

For me Ratchet and Clank 1 is pretty much Spyro in space with guns, while the sequels are something different, still good, but speedier and with all those gun levels.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Killrrhubarb posted:

Quest for Booty is good

This is a goddamn lie and you know it.

But yeah, NLTM, I'd just suggest getting the Ratchet and Clank HD collection, playing those three, and if you like them, move onto the PS3 games that aren't All 4 One. It's a really great series that usually just keeps getting better as it goes along.

morallyobjected posted:

I mean I like it, still, but out of the first three games, it's the only one I haven't platinumed on the HD collection, and it's very hard to go back to the controls and mechanics of the first game for me, after all the improvements they made to the second two.

The funny thing is that Up Your Arsenal is my second favorite game in the whole series, but it's the only one I haven't gotten a platinum trophy in in the HD collection. I'm starting to work to fix that though. But yes, with all the improvements they've made to the series, it's really, really hard to go back and play the first game, and to some extent, the second one too. NLTM's best option is to, like I said, get the HD collection and play them in order.

kalonZombie fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 15, 2014

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

I thought that gave 1 a more Spyro-like gamestyle, which I didn't really find in the sequel.

For me Ratchet and Clank 1 is pretty much Spyro in space with guns, while the sequels are something different, still good, but speedier and with all those gun levels.

The worst thing about the first one, really, is that you either have to play through it about four times or take advantage of a glitch in the system (that they tried to fix in the HD remake but there's still a way) to get all the bolts you'd need to get all the extra weapons. Plus the new versions of the weapons don't actually do anything different--they're just a little more powerful, unlike the later games when the upgrades generally made the weapons more effective and more fun.

Also, there's no strafing in the first one (except a very, very terrible version of it when you get the rocket pack), and that automatically makes it worse than the other two.

I mean I like it, still, but out of the first three games, it's the only one I haven't platinumed on the HD collection, and it's very hard to go back to the controls and mechanics of the first game for me, after all the improvements they made to the second two.

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

kalonZombie posted:

This is a goddamn lie and you know it.

Well... yeah, you're right. It's really short and the quest and the guns are just not good or interesting. I always liked the pirate characters though.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars

crowfeathers posted:

I was trying to make a joke about Dawn of the Dragon, but you're right, that did happen and I forgot about it.

I love how one of the levels was just Minas Tirith in a God Of War Clone.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Whoops I got DEATHLY ILL and for some reason didn't think to record anything in advance. Oh well, I'll get back to it.

In the meantime, I'm reading up about DISRUPTOR, which was Insomniac's first game, and apparently it was originally slated for the 3DO. Thank god they dodged that bullet.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Whoops I got DEATHLY ILL and for some reason didn't think to record anything in advance. Oh well, I'll get back to it.

In the meantime, I'm reading up about DISRUPTOR, which was Insomniac's first game, and apparently it was originally slated for the 3DO. Thank god they dodged that bullet.
I was not aware that 3D0 tried making their own console. Huh.

Also get well soon.

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Nihilarian posted:

I was not aware that 3D0 tried making their own console. Huh.

Also get well soon.

Do you like lovely FMV games and early 90s 3d? I hope so as that's about everything it had.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Deathwind posted:

Do you like lovely FMV games and early 90s 3d? I hope so as that's about everything it had.

not true, it had an exclusive jrpg too

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Man, that kinda sucks. Get well soon.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

At least they haven't completely removed him for the series yet.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Deathwind posted:

At least they haven't completely removed him for the series yet.

Actually I think they have. I can't remember the last time I saw a Spyro figure for a Skylander's game.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

kalonZombie posted:

Actually I think they have. I can't remember the last time I saw a Spyro figure for a Skylander's game.

It's for the best. Spyro never deserved that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Spyro what did they do to you

• Locked thread