Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

rainy day posted:

eso is a bad game

No sperg discussions about graphics settings or bugs from the beta. Lets have a nice time talking about why it's stupid to make a generic MMO in 2014.

just getting this thread out there so I can say I hated it before it was cool to hate it

UPDATE: Michael Kirkbride, author of the original Elder Scrolls Lore, is going to try to explain to us why the lore isn't hopelessly hosed up. This friday for all us non sex-havers. http://michaelkirkbride.tumblr.com/...orebomb-targets

but real talk: who the gently caress thought it would be a good plan to take a single player game where you feel unique and independent in a fantasy world and try to replicate that with 3,000 people that just sounds stupid as gently caress

most ppl i know are saying "well just give it a try" or some poo poo but it's just basic logic that if you remove what made the game fun and exciting then older fans probably won't like it imo

:downsbravo:

so yeah lets discuss why TESO sucks so hard here

Also post cool TES facts from older games that made them cool:

It was possible in Oblivion to make weapons so powerful that they would launch people into the air from the hosed up physics engine.

JebanyPedal posted:

The female high-elf in Oblivion sometimes goes "WHOOAAAAAAAAAA!" in this outrageous Bill & Ted way when she gets hit.

and here's how you could make a fun MMORPG besides not making a MMORPG

The Protagonist posted:

All the legacy weapons are there, but only one of each. Either you have to do a brutal quest gauntlet to earn one of them, or you have to kill the current holder of one. If the holding player deletes the character/destroys it or just doesn't log for a given amount of time it resets to the quest dungeon. Also public records are kept as to who owns what and for how long.

A non-zero number of artifacts would require your dungeon-crawling team going battleroyale on each other at the last second on the whim of the daedra dude.

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

I unironically believe that MMOs should have no story what so ever and just a giant world to explore and do whatever you want in, Star Wars Galaxies style.

Mr. Merdle fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Feb 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Hey, uh, dunno if you know this friend... but there's actually an MMO forum just for you.

Have a nice day!

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The Elder TitanFall Scrolls Online.

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
cry somewhere else

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
mmo hmo will play literally any game that has an xp bar

Slybo
Mar 6, 2005

Last_Ranger posted:

Its an MMO

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

lol @ anyone who expects eso to be anything other than abysmally horrible, even by mmo standards

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

Dexters Secret posted:

mmo hmo will play literally any game that has an xp bar

i need to see numers going up at all times or i go into a sperg rage

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Game is going to be loving awful because bethesda suddenly loves to poo poo all over the parts of the elder scrolls lore that aren't Lord of the Rings i.e bland as gently caress.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
the elder scrolls lore

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Because you touch yourself.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Dexters Secret posted:

the elder scrolls lore

Every time I read the word chim I think of that song from Merry Poppins.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
go smoke some skooma OP

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

deadlypie posted:

Every time I read the word chim I think of that song from Merry Poppins.

CHIM is simultaneously the most brilliant and most absolutely retarded thing in any game universe ever.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Last_Ranger posted:

Bethesda writing only worse than usual

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

King Doom posted:

Game is going to be loving awful because bethesda suddenly loves to poo poo all over the parts of the elder scrolls lore that aren't Lord of the Rings i.e bland as gently caress.

i'm actually kinda pissed that after sinking so many hours into skyrim bethesda just said "gently caress you" and didn't resolve the whole elf-human war thing in any way, especially since the civil war plot was so loving weak

i want more racist aryan dudes and prissy english elves

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
but WOW is cool and they are making millions we can do that too cmon guys lets do this yeaaaa

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax
Being upset over a mmo is a really cool thing to do, congrsts on being a really cool person.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
elder scrolls combat has been historically terrible. but it oozes charm, puts you in a bigass world to explore, has a lot of hilarious glitches, and makes you feel important

so naturally bethesda decided this was the perfect game for an MMO because it's.. literally the opposite of their games?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Cosby Onahole posted:

Being upset over a mmo is a really cool thing to do, congrsts on being a really cool person.

I don't think anyone is upset about ESO, rather they are laughing at how bad the beta was and eagerly anticipating the game flopping as spectacularly as FF14 and The Old Republic both did.

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax
Read the first line of the first post idiot.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

All they had to do was patch in skyrim coop

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Hey is it time to quote myself? I think it is.

The Protagonist posted:

TESO is going to be dull, shallow, boilerplate tripe and I don't know how anyone who has seen the gameplay vids could think otherwise

The Protagonist posted:

it's pretty great to hear the quakcon crowd's blatantly feigned excitement and veiled disappointment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWXjzLEGV9U

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

Space Pussy posted:

All they had to do was patch in skyrim coop

if you wanted to make a multiplayer elder scrolls game, this probably would have been the best way to do it and not really

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Last_Ranger posted:

but real talk: who the gently caress thought it would be a good plan to take a single player game where you feel unique and independent in a fantasy world and try to replicate that with 3,000 people that just sounds stupid as gently caress

WoW makes money

people like elder scrolls

lets make an elder scrolls mmo and make WoW money

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

WoW makes money

people like elder scrolls

lets make an elder scrolls mmo and make WoW money

people making MMOs out of anything

it's like it's the early 2000s all over again

Slybo
Mar 6, 2005

Countdown till TESO goes F2P.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Srice posted:

people making MMOs out of anything

it's like it's the early 2000s all over again

nah, the new trend is people making mobas out of anything. poo poo like eso is becoming less and less common as people move on to the new hot thing to try and make money off of.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
I barely even know what that is

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot
what is a moba?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

called it announcement day

lol

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Splurgerwitzl posted:

what is a moba?

essentially a verbal scat party, but angry and for nerds.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Slybo posted:

Countdown till TESO goes F2P.

add lore breaking silly hats because they will be forced to

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
was defiance any good? looked like it was kinda interesting. I thought guild wars 2 was a steaming pile of poo poo (and I rather liked GW1). Probably last MMO I played before that was Ragnarok Online back in like 2002/3

Kid Gloves
Jul 31, 2013

by XyloJW
Eve is the only good mmo.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Last_Ranger posted:

Who made that Conan MMO?

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

The Bible posted:

Who made that Conan MMO?

Conan O'Brien

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

ESO is going to be poo poo because you they will not visit any of the insane parts of the Elder Scroll's world. It'll just be generic fantasy country and generic icy fantasy country.

Chuck Tanner
Nov 10, 2012

by Lowtax
i was in the beta and it was legit absolutely awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

It's gonna be filled with furries and elf women with 10 inch dicks wanting to erp.

• Locked thread