Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

Lonely Virgil posted:

It's gonna be filled with furries and elf women with 10 inch dicks wanting to erp.

well now I have to play it, thanks a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Mr. Mallory posted:

i was in the beta and it was legit absolutely awful

there is only one solution, to double down, if we canget it good enough for 8 million subscribers for 3 years we should be able to break even and then we will be raking in the dough

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:

The Protagonist posted:

Hey is it time to quote myself? I think it is.

they are proud of an ability that wow had in the very first raid instance 10 years ago(running away from your teammates because you are going to explode).

the game will poo poo the bed worse than ToR but it hasn't cost as much money i don't think

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Dexters Secret posted:

well now I have to play it, thanks a lot

:sterv: all you're fantasies will cum true

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
i hope lizard wizard plays then gets assaulted in all his holes by a heavy orc clan

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

top 10 mmo games:

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
RotMG is okay for an evening.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

lol at anyone who thought this would be good for even a moment since it was announced

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Last_Ranger posted:

just getting this thread out there so I can say I hated it before it was cool to hate it

but real talk: who the gently caress thought it would be a good plan to take a single player game where you feel unique and independent in a fantasy world and try to replicate that with 3,000 people that just sounds stupid as gently caress

most ppl i know are saying "well just give it a try" or some poo poo but it's just basic logic that if you remove what made the game fun and exciting then older fans probably won't like it imo

:downsbravo:

so yeah lets discuss why TESO sucks so hard here

Wait it came out already? Sweet

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

ashgromnies posted:

Wait it came out already? Sweet

there's a beta and it's dogshit

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
Fallout without guns.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Last_Ranger posted:

just getting this thread out there so I can say I hated it before it was cool to hate it

but real talk: who the gently caress thought it would be a good plan to take a single player game where you feel unique and independent in a fantasy world and try to replicate that with 3,000 people that just sounds stupid as gently caress

most ppl i know are saying "well just give it a try" or some poo poo but it's just basic logic that if you remove what made the game fun and exciting then older fans probably won't like it imo

i'm not into mmo's at all but your premise is pretty dumb. just because "older fans" don't like a game doesn't mean anything positive or negative about its quality. "older fans" will complain about absolutely everything and generally suck.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

deadlypie posted:

Every time I read the word chim I think of that song from Merry Poppins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lyKxKn_WsE

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I want it to fail hard, so there's a chance I don't have to watch them poo poo up Fallout with an MMO.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Dexters Secret posted:

there's a beta and it's dogshit

Yeah beta software sucks as a rule, I hope you gave them your feedback. Soliciting stakeholder feedback is a crucial part of the beta process, imo.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
i have played this game and it is bad

it's just a generic mmo

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Dexters Secret posted:

mmo hmo will play literally any game that has an xp bar

Spousal abuse syndrome in video games.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Another MMO trying to challenge WoW, except unlike WoW it doesn't have 10 years of development and additional content behind it so people only poo poo their pants playing the game for three months instead of several years and then get bored of it and abandon it.

Cool TES facts:

The female high-elf in Oblivion sometimes goes "WHOOAAAAAAAAAA!" in this outrageous Bill & Ted way when she gets hit.

That's it, I ain't got nothing else.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

ashgromnies posted:

Yeah beta software sucks as a rule, I hope you gave them your feedback. Soliciting stakeholder feedback is a crucial part of the beta process, imo.

trust me, it's not going to get a lot better

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
Why the gently caress does everyone frame MMOs in terms of challenging WoW now? WoW is terrible. It shouldn't be emulated or challenged, rather MMOs should be designed without any regard for it whatsoever.

I understand it was the most popular MMO, but gently caress it anyways, it sucks and always has.

Basically, if you think WoW is/was good and are hating on TES then I don't care what you say.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

ashgromnies posted:

Why the gently caress does everyone frame MMOs in terms of challenging WoW now? WoW is terrible. It shouldn't be emulated or challenged, rather MMOs should be designed without any regard for it whatsoever.

I understand it was the most popular MMO, but gently caress it anyways, it sucks and always has.

ever since 2006 every mmo has been challenging wow

rift straight up marketed itself as a competitor to wow

elder scrolls online, a game whose development started in 2006, had a memo that they kept for 8 years "beat wow"

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

stoutfish posted:

ever since 2006 every mmo has been challenging wow

rift straight up marketed itself as a competitor to wow

elder scrolls online, a game whose development started in 2006, had a memo that they kept for 8 years "beat wow"

And they all suck, I wonder why.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
we've had f2p mmos, story focused mmos (lol) and improved combat mmos and yet a slightly better everquest made in 2004 was the most sucessful

why? because it came first at the right time, simple as that

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
all that story content didn't matter for poo poo in the starwars mmo because there was no endgame.

wow had the perfect balance of grind and endgame content, and continued that balance for years.

every new mmo has limited endgame, because why make that when none of your players have reached it? however, people get through that content faster than you you create it, meaning you will death spiral. increasing grind will alienate the player base because there is a game with less grind and more content (wow)

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
grind is a carefully crafted iv drip that you must maintain for years

yet you don't have infinite time and resources, and then you die

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
mmos suck

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Putty posted:

mmos suck

the main design of every mmo is "keep players playing"

this does not make for good games

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

JebanyPedal posted:

Another MMO trying to challenge WoW, except unlike WoW it doesn't have 10 years of development and additional content behind it so people only poo poo their pants playing the game for three months instead of several years and then get bored of it and abandon it.

Cool TES facts:

The female high-elf in Oblivion sometimes goes "WHOOAAAAAAAAAA!" in this outrageous Bill & Ted way when she gets hit.

That's it, I ain't got nothing else.

Fact: Telling someone you murdered his family in Oblivion will cause a guard to cut him down when he attacks you for it. The guard will then go back to drinking heavily.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

stoutfish posted:

all that story content didn't matter for poo poo in the starwars mmo because there was no endgame.

wow had the perfect balance of grind and endgame content, and continued that balance for years.

every new mmo has limited endgame, because why make that when none of your players have reached it? however, people get through that content faster than you you create it, meaning you will death spiral. increasing grind will alienate the player base because there is a game with less grind and more content (wow)

It took players like 2 years to hit the level cap in Asheron's call initially... Then they broke the game with bots and scripting, but whatever.

I want a game like that again.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

ashgromnies posted:

It took players like 2 years to hit the level cap in Asheron's call initially... Then they broke the game with bots and scripting, but whatever.

I want a game like that again.

not enough people like you exist for that to be viable in this day and age, sorry

Lonely Virgil
Oct 9, 2012

I judge video games by how many years it takes for me to accumulate numbers.

Cookie Clicker is therefore the greatest video game ever.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
actually, private servers are a thing

you can play old bad mmos with literal 100s of people (who are broken)

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

has there ever been a fun MMO that is not only a good game but one you can have fun playing for like a couple hours a week or so instead of living in it?

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

stoutfish posted:

not enough people like you exist for that to be viable in this day and age, sorry

I don't see why not. I mean, EVE Online is still around and equally niche.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

stoutfish posted:

actually, private servers are a thing

you can play old bad mmos with literal 100s of people (who are broken)

Asheron's call is still around and they still release content patches lmao. I think about re subscribing sometimes.

Asheron's call 2 was dead for years but they recently brought it back for free for ac1 subscribers too

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Earwicker posted:

has there ever been a fun MMO that is not only a good game but one you can have fun playing for like a couple hours a week or so instead of living in it?

no

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

ashgromnies posted:

I don't see why not. I mean, EVE Online is still around and equally niche.

i disagree because you can actually do quite a bit 5 days into the game and 2 years in basically means you are piloting a big liability

there are a lot of things about eve that are good, but it's still an mmo therefore bad

Soral
May 30, 2009

i like elder scrolls lore because their stupid metaphysics chim bullshit means that every sperghard gamemaster that refuses to exploit the game or pause combat to drink a potion or install dope mods or w/e because they don't want to "break immersion :qq:" are in fact breaking immersion

lol @ eso tho lmao

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...
will there ever be another successful mmo on the scale of WoW??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
hey remember shadowbane

• Locked thread