Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Old Grey Guy posted:

Each character can only take one of the strongest pieces of equipment along, and it's not always obvious what the game will accept.

It's also random. I usually spend a solid hour or so importing the same save file from Bane until I get a good kit of gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Demon chick seems like a surprisingly decent person.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Stephen9001 posted:

Demon chick seems like a surprisingly decent person.

She is, she's basically been a victim in the whole sordid story. So is her brother, though you can fight him if you wish.

If you didn't drop the silver cross way back when, you would have to fight Dracula and Rebecca here, and they're tough. Part of it is, they're immune to most forms of attack. You need to equip the holy stakes of wood (they function as daggers), holy water, and an item Luisfe missed entirely - remember the mirror-like Rock of Truth? Use the miner's pick on it and you get Rocks of Reflection, which are useful for the fight.

Then it's just a matter of healing and curing through the pair while hacking them to death. Not an interesting fight and you skip the monologue, but lose your chance at the diamond ring from Rebecca and have to fight her brother rather than join him peacefully.

As it is... Strap in, folks. poo poo's about to get weird for this little fantasy story.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Update 104

Well let's advance again.

And let's kill Xorphitus again.

There it goes.

Levels were slightly worse but uh, whatever.

Yes.

Yeah yeah kill yourself.

Uhhh ok.

What what

Ok.

Well let's see what this says.

Uhhh.
Ship?
Also, hm.
Rebecca had said the hand of destiny as well! But ok, there it goes.

How the gently caress was one supposed to know to use the ring on the book?

The password!

Hmm.
That must be the thing!
But let's see what is going on elsewhere first. This seems like a game ender.

A candle!

But it is an illusion.

Uuhhhhhhhh.
A dragon. What.

UHHHH.

Uhhh... Petroleum?

What?

But, can he FLY with those wings He has buff legs, at least.

His torso is not quite muscly though.
But
uhh.

Uhhhh

Uhhh.

Uhhhh.
his throne follows him.

.... WHAT.

UHhhh.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh

Well.
That was a thing.

i think I will restore a save and actually check what was the glowy bit.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
If you plan to play seven I don't recumbent taking that ending for import. I made that mistake.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Man, and I used to think that Might and Magic pulled sci-fi bullshit out of nowhere. I think it might be the most coherent of all the old-school CRPGs when it comes to that.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]
Congrats Luisfe!

( Looking forward to Wiz 7 ;-) )

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Feb 5, 2014. They say a journey of a thousand days starts with a single Sterv. 982 actually

So glad he never amounted to anything while the rest of the team was Samurais and Lords.

Great job. Please spend the year of your journey to 7 imagining what this game was like without automap.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

It took me a whole year to beat Wiz7.

I have no idea how anybody could beat Wiz6 without an auto map and amazing powers of precognition. This was ridiculous.

Thanks for this!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Congrats!

Tip: if you want the gentlest start to Wizardry 7, go to the room and try to take the Cosmic Forge.

ManxomeBromide posted:

Man, and I used to think that Might and Magic pulled sci-fi bullshit out of nowhere. I think it might be the most coherent of all the old-school CRPGs when it comes to that.

It will make more sense in the future, it just comes out of nowhere in this particular game. From here on out Luisfe and company will be adventuring on other planets with aliens, robots, starships, lasers, and the odd battle mech being part of the scenery.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wizardry is the one that hasn't really been that much about space bullshit up to this point, right? I know the Might and Magic games used space bullshit pretty heavily.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Glazius posted:

Wizardry is the one that hasn't really been that much about space bullshit up to this point, right? I know the Might and Magic games used space bullshit pretty heavily.

Yes. Wizardry 6 is where it started for the series in exactly this final update.

From here on out, we'll be in worlds where sci-fi technology and magic happily exist side by side and several races gladly employ both - there's a funny bit in Crusaders where your party finds an EMP rifle and are confused why anyone would bother with this claptrap when a sword or fireball works just as well.

jpublic
Aug 14, 2015
Interestingly, M&M got LESS about the scifi as the series went on. M&M 6 was the last with any real scifi content, with 7 just having a small mention in the intro.

Wizardry on the other hand went from a hint in 6 all the way to full on-scifi in 8.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Will probably start Wizardry 7 today or tomorrow after doing a final update on this one including taking the dang pen.

My original plan was to be using Grid Cartographer for all of them (and not taking this long to finish the dang thread) but clearly that was not to be the case.

I will be using this: http://www.moddb.com/mods/wizardry-7-automap-mod

Before starting this LP I had only played a LITTLE bit of Wizardry 8 back in around 2003 or so. I had read the LPs for Wizardry 1 and 4 before .
http://lparchive.org/Wizardry-Proving-Grounds-of-the-Mad-Overlord/
http://lparchive.org/Wizardry-IV/

I rather like grid based turn based combat dungeon crawlers now.
Speaking of, I hope that Etrian Odyssey V gets localized. I rather enjoy that series

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]

Luisfe posted:

My original plan was to be using Grid Cartographer for all of them (and not taking this long to finish the dang thread) but clearly that was not to be the case.

:smithicide:

I've not even started auto-tracking support for Wiz7 yet (been working on M&M3 and support for other systems like PSX). Grid Cartographer does 100% support Wizardry 6 now though (we just pipped you to the post on the end game stuff but ... too little too late ;) )

Good luck, I know even less about 7 so it'll be fun to see the gang embark on the next chapter!

Hidden Asbestos fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 17, 2016

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Hidden Asbestos posted:

:smithicide:

I've not even started auto-tracking support for Wiz7 yet (been working on M&M3 and support for other systems like PSX). Grid Cartographer does 100% support Wizardry 6 now though (we just pipped you to the post on the end game stuff but ... too little too late ;) )

Good luck, I know even less about 7 so it'll be fun to see the gang embark on the next chapter!

If there was no automap mod for wiz 7 I would very likely have gone back to Grid Cartographer for it, haha, and then eventually hate the game due to teleports!
Well, that is assuming that there are teleports in 7.

I am completely new to wiz 7. I will take a look at the differences between the many versions I currently have (gog has a bunch of versions in the extras, and there is the steam version as well... Will have to see which one is the most usable for this).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Luisfe posted:

If there was no automap mod for wiz 7 I would very likely have gone back to Grid Cartographer for it, haha, and then eventually hate the game due to teleports!
Well, that is assuming that there are teleports in 7.

I am completely new to wiz 7. I will take a look at the differences between the many versions I currently have (gog has a bunch of versions in the extras, and there is the steam version as well... Will have to see which one is the most usable for this).

There is an in-game map tool, and I believe the Wizardry Gold version automatically makes the map pop up in the game, though it only displays a small area around your party's current location.

Wizardry 7 uses the same essential engine as 6, so you should be able to hit the ground running once you import however many times it takes to get some good stuff (my rule of thumb is two of the endgame quality weapons - good weapons are hard to find in Crusaders). Some new features:

* New skills. Most notably, Mapping (used with the map kit - the more points in Mapping, the more detailed the map gets), Swimming (you need 10 points to not instantly drown when you enter the water, above that reduces the MASSIVE drain on stamina that is swimming), and Climbing (used for skill checks like on Giant Mountain - only crops up at one or two points in the game, but boy you'll want some points in it when you get there). Diplomacy is bugged in some versions of the game.

* Personal skills. These aren't available at the game start, but when you complete certain tasks in-game you'll unlock new personal skills which have a variety of different effects. Firearms, for example, is effectively a new weapon skill, while Snakespeed is a raw passive boost to a character's effective speed in combat.

* New skill system in general. Now instead of getting one big pool of skill points at creation and leveling to spend as you like between all your skills, skills are now divided into four categories - Weapons, Physical, Academic, and Personal. Skill points on creation and leveling are divided between the categories and you can only spend one category's points on skills in that category. Class determines how your overall pool of skill points gets divided - fighters get lots of weapon points but few academic points, for example, while mages have lots of academic points but few to no weapon points.

* New spells. Not a lot, but there are some new additions.

* New tilesets. Crusaders is a huge graphics update over Bane, and includes several strikingly different tile sets.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Just to check, the dragon was Rebecca's brother right? Assuming yes, HOW? They shared a father right? And his mother was the bitchy queen and Rebecca's mother was a relatively normal women right? So how is he a dragon?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Make sure you're playing Wiz7, and not Wizardry: Gold, the tuned-up version of 7 that introduces some seriously game-breaking bugs.

Well, I guess it's not so much "game-breaking" as it is "forces you to murder every NPC in the game because diplomacy doesn't work lmao"

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

FairGame posted:

Make sure you're playing Wiz7, and not Wizardry: Gold, the tuned-up version of 7 that introduces some seriously game-breaking bugs.

Well, I guess it's not so much "game-breaking" as it is "forces you to murder every NPC in the game because diplomacy doesn't work lmao"

Hahaha that is fantastic.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Update 105: FINAL

Well, time to resume! Let's see how it goes.

Starting with this. This is the last area.

Yeah, there is a thing.

That is... kind of hard to make out.

A magic pen I guess.

Uh what.

WHAT? Seriously? That is an ending? That is... bullshit. Honestly that is bullshit.

Uhhh ok.

Well let's see what else we can do.

Back to see that dragon dude.

Well, previously we answered YES.

He is in a rush then.

Oh! He is called Bela!

Key of the Stars, eh?

The button opens stuff!

And that works.

It aso worked in this one.

A very long and twisting hallway.

With a button!

Uh.

OH GO loving DIE IN A FIRE, GAME.
That is BULLSHIT.

So let's reload.
And now let's go with Bela.

And now we have two save files.
They could be used for Wizardry 7.

And at least one of them will.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
So, hadn't we been sent in to figure out what had happened here or something? Shouldn't we at least leave a note or something on the way out so they don't keep sending armies of hopeless dudes to get murdered?

We are some seriously irresponsible adventurers.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I always found these games fascinating, but completely impenetrable. Thanks for taking the time to LP it, it's been one of my favorite LPs over the last couple of years. I can't imagine how much time it took to edit all those screenshots into coherent posts.

Hope to see you continue in Wizardry 7.

(By the way, did you have a backup plan if you hit a wall? I remember at the start of this LP many people said your chances of making it through on your first time, especially blind, were very small.)

Chuu fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 20, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
As weird and interesting as this ride has been, I'm completely stoked for the next game. I never got to play Wizardry 7 since my version of Wizardry Gold never worked on my PCs for some reason, but it came out around the time Might and Magic jumpstarted my interest in Western RPGs, so I'm interested to see how it holds up.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Libluini posted:

As weird and interesting as this ride has been, I'm completely stoked for the next game. I never got to play Wizardry 7 since my version of Wizardry Gold never worked on my PCs for some reason, but it came out around the time Might and Magic jumpstarted my interest in Western RPGs, so I'm interested to see how it holds up.

You can get it off of GOG and it works well on modern systems, just download the extras and you get the Dos version instead of the crazy wizardry gold.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, people say some modern games are fishing for sequels in their endings, but that doesn't even hold a candle.

"BEFORE YOU LIES THE OBJECT OF YOUR QUEST, THE DOOM OF SO MANY. DARE YOU EXTEND YOUR HAND TO TAKE IT?"

"Uh, sure, I-"

"gently caress YOU SOME OTHER rear end in a top hat JANKS IT SEE YOU IN THE NEXT GAME!"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Glazius posted:

Man, people say some modern games are fishing for sequels in their endings, but that doesn't even hold a candle.

"BEFORE YOU LIES THE OBJECT OF YOUR QUEST, THE DOOM OF SO MANY. DARE YOU EXTEND YOUR HAND TO TAKE IT?"

"Uh, sure, I-"

"gently caress YOU SOME OTHER rear end in a top hat JANKS IT SEE YOU IN THE NEXT GAME!"

We'll learn more about the dude who takes it in due time. :) Altheides is just doing his job, and if you start a new game in Crusaders he narrates the game's intro.

Also, I don't think the Steam version of Crusaders includes the game's manual, which includes Crusaders' backstory and an explanation of what's broadly going on and who the big players are. If anyone's interested, I can do a brief rundown.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Started the new thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3795447

Fortunately, the GOG version comes with the manual. Going to give it a quick read soon, maybe.

Also the games are on sale on gog. https://www.gog.com/promo/20161124_weekly_staff_picks_360_degrees_of_freedom

• Locked thread