Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

JamieTheD posted:

I'd actually planned to do (at some point) an informative type LP of 6 and 7, but honestly, this is much more entertaining... Although I hope fellow goons will inform you of Dead Man Walking scenarios and where to save for the alternate endings before they happen.

As to the map, I think, if the size issues can be dealt with, Parchment is a good, traditional one, but if not, the yellow and black is perfectly fine for purpose.

If you want, once you've irrevocably finished a level (I suspect you're close to that point with level 1, haven't checked), do you want me to post bits from the cluebook? I'd be happy to do so, because the Cluebook for Wizardry 6 is... Interesting. But this final trilogy in the European series is definitely my favourite of the whole lot, and is just the kind of bonkers I loved in old CRPGs!

He has to return to many areas, I don't think you really ever finish with an area until you get to the very end. But I think you can still return to the castle even from near the very end. I don't think you really ever miss any hidden secrets in this game. If you don't find them you just can't progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Update 13

Well let's us explore this for a bit more.

BALLS. I captured part of the bar. I shall take care to NOT DO SO next time.

TINKLEE levelled up. 7 bonus skillpoints? Yes I like that.

Let's apply them on Kirijutsu. Yes. Being able to have critical hits is an useful trait, I guess.

Sure let's give her the ability to put people to sleep. Yes. That is an useful thing. She is now a Brother. Shouldn't she be a sister?

TINYSAN also. 6 skillpoints, which is less than what TINKLEE got but still a good amount, I think.

TINYSAN gets a fire spell, ENergy Blast. Might come in handy, I'd say.

"An old decaying armor dummy is slumped in the corner, slowly becoming powder."

: "It decayed. There is nothing of use for us here."

SNAKE managed to open a door! Again! That is a good thing.

A mess hall, eh? Well there might be something useful here!

God drat it. Just one drat skill point. Oh well.

Slightly better at opening doors I guess.

SNAKE gets Acid Splash.

Yes. The Vicar. Of DEATH. Yes.
DETPOPE gets another level.

And he gets to be slightly better at theology.

Yes. The Pope of Death gets to dispel undead.
Maybe to SUMMON them later? Or is that too Werdnaish?
Can you even summon things in this? We'll see.

"Most of the packages have turned hard. but dampness has helped to keep one of them fairly soft, opening it you find a rather nocious cheese, ripe with age and wholly inedible."

Oh gross.

DETPOPE, being undead, does not have nostrils to hurt with it.
: "HOW CAN THIS BE. I CAN FEEL MY EYES WATER. THAT IS IMPOSSIBLE."

Let's go back to the TREBOR SUX wall.

Right here.

But before, let's see what we can change them to.

TINKLEE can turn into a fighter, a mage or a priest. Isn't a monk a fighting priest? :D

TINYSAN can turn into a fighter, a thief or a bard, none of which would be an improvement over his current samurainess, I guess.

SNAKE can turn into a fighter, a thief, a ranger, or a samurai.

DETPOPE meanwhile can become a fighter, a mage or a priest. Didn't someone say that priests are important later on? Hm.

STERV can become an alchemist. Eh.

MONMOON is clearly the least versatile, only being able to become a mage or a priest.

Well we are there.

Let's get rid of this fetid thing.

Now trying the mousedriven controls.
I hate them.

Not pictured, restarting and removing the mouse controls because I really prefer the keyboard-only controls. It is better in general.

drat. That is a LOT of experience.

Let's move on.

MOVING ON.

: "TREASURE. THERE MIGHT BE SOMETHING HERE OF USE"
: "Or at the very least a horrible trap"
: "AND IT IS YOUR JOB TO TAKE CARE OF IT."
: "Take care of it!? I had to open my mouth..."

Lots of stuff! And NOXIOUS VAPORS. That is not good. Poison!

This is the important bit, though.

MONMOON gets it.

It's special, anyone can use it, but it has no direct use as a weapon or a piece or armor. Eh.

Well, we have that.
Let's go back to L'Montes.

Yup. I think.

We don't want to give L'Montes our gold, but we'll give hm something else.

This.

Ayup. That is a dog!

Uuuh.

Oh. So we have to go to the Barracks.

Well, we should go and try to find them!

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
You really, REALLY need to start save scumming and planning which classes to change to. It becomes exceptionally harder to do the later you go in the game (every level now takes 2x as much exp as the previous level). You cannot do this with the in game client at all, you need to look up the stats and whatnot in the manual. If you want I can do the legwork to find the easiest changes.

I mean I guess you can just power through and do one class change to basic classes and jump between basic spellcasting classes until you luck into a higher tier class again but it requires like twice as much grinding, and it's already going to be a lot of grinding. But if grinding does not bother you then you can just do it that way.

And detpope is already a priest so no, you don't need it at later levels. You already have it covered. You do need someone with basically all the priest spells later on, but that goes for having someone with all the mage spells too (and the only way to do that is a lot of class changes).

Also the reason you are getting more skill points on some dudes now is that they have hit the ceiling on the mandatory skill training that they do, i.e. some classes put 5 into hands and feet until it hits 50 others music or whatever.

Edit: But again I am amazed. You found l'montes then the cheese and the dog pretty easily. That's probably one of the harder things to do early in the game.

Washout fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 7, 2014

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Magic note: Enchanted Blade was the better pick, in my opinion, but Dispel Undead has its uses. It tries to instantly destroy undead and is reasonably effective at it, hitting one monster per power level. You'll be encountering your first undead before too much longer, probably, but they're not a very common enemy type and are concentrated in mainly a few specific parts of the game.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
To be honest I am using the search thing on every square of every non-corridor room.

Probably should do that in all corridors too. I mean, there was that button that opened the door to the place with the key of the RAMM that said it should be closed on business hours or something.

Cythereal posted:

Magic note: Enchanted Blade was the better pick, in my opinion, but Dispel Undead has its uses. It tries to instantly destroy undead and is reasonably effective at it, hitting one monster per power level. You'll be encountering your first undead before too much longer, probably, but they're not a very common enemy type and are concentrated in mainly a few specific parts of the game.

Will get that next time it is available then. It just seemed rather appropriate for DETPOPE to be able to smite undead at will.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

I hate to tell you, but I seem to remember that search is sometimes dependent on the direction you are facing.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
What kind of punch did that fat rat have, to be worth so many experience points?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Glazius posted:

What kind of punch did that fat rat have, to be worth so many experience points?

It's a credible first boss of sorts for the game. Depending on how early you stumble across it, it can one-shot weaker characters and take quite a beating itself.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Glazius posted:

Hits several times, resists sleep, has a SHITLOAD of health points, basically, it is a boss rat.

Who knew a fat rat would be more dangerous than SEVERAL killer rats.

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme

Washout posted:

You really, REALLY need to start save scumming and planning which classes to change to.

Also the reason you are getting more skill points on some dudes now is that they have hit the ceiling on the mandatory skill training that they do, i.e. some classes put 5 into hands and feet until it hits 50 others music or whatever.

Wizardry 6 was one of the first computer games I played, waaay back when on the Mac Plus. (In black'n'white. I actually think the graphics are better in gray scale.)

I wasn't exactly a pro at the game, since hand mapping - hadn't ever done it before.

So I certainly had no idea I should change classes!

Would you mind go into why class changes are so important? It sounds like you can 1) only change into a class where you already meet the minimum stats, and 2) your other stats are reduced to your race minimum, and 3) it takes the same amount of exp to go from level 11->12 as it does from a reclassed to level 1 ->2?

In which case, why do you want to reclass? More spell options? Skills that are only available to one class? (I can see wanting as many people as possible to have kirijitsu.)

Thanks!

Also - thanks, Luisfe - this is certainly bringing back memories, and I look forward to when you got past where I did!

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

It takes the same amount of XP to go from 1->10 as it takes to go from 10->11. So for that measly amount of xp (in later areas) you can easily max out spellcasting skills, get WAY more spells (which means way more spell points). And as long as you re-class at 10 a few times you will add quite a lot to your hit chance as well. (you get more hit chance when you match your previous level).

The powergamer way of doing things is to start with 5 spellcasters (just mages/priest/alch/psi) and a bard, and have every single one of them ready to change to advanced classes right from the get-go. You can pretty easily get everyone to level 5 or 6, then switch over to samurais, ninjas, and valkyries. You keep all of your spells and spell points and can keep casting sleep or whatever and then eventually cycle everyone through ninja to get ninjutsu (way important in the later areas) and kirijitsu. Try to keep changing classes every time you hit level 8 or so by save scumming, and eventually you end up with a party that has all the spells and everyone with maxxed ninja skills.

This is pretty much exactly what I did when I beat the game with a guide, except I started with advanced classes ready to change after just a few levels (changed everyone for the first time in the mines at level 8 and 9, then later in the river of styx power levelled and cycled through ninja and recycled through advanced classes for more spells some characters might have had 6 total class changes, my main priest spell caster had something like 250sp), and it was still the hardest game I've ever beaten I think. I still had to save/reload quite a lot.

Finally since XP starts to double every level, even though I power levelled my final party in the river styx to level 10 before beating the rest of the game, I think I ended the game at only level 14. So without class changes you can beat the game, but you would need an acute awareness of the best spells to take and never take any of the spells that can be bought at vendors, and still you would be short a few utility spells that would be nice to have.

Washout fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 8, 2014

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
Oh! Thanks!

I completely misunderstood on the exp for levels. I must not have gotten far enough to get a point where I was completely and continuously wiped for not having class changed.

Still looking forward to watching Luisfe get to that point for me!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Luisfe posted:

Hits several times, resists sleep, has a SHITLOAD of health points, basically, it is a boss rat.

Who knew a fat rat would be more dangerous than SEVERAL killer rats.

Not shown in the LP: the fat rat can also show up with a full screen of ranks of killer rats. The fat rat is the first of what I'd consider four boss/miniboss encounters encounters in the castle area, and also the first optional one. You don't have to get Snoopcheri if you've played the game before and know the password to Captain Matey.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Yeah I was really surprised that he had so few opponents there. I think I had a screen full of rats when I did it. 3 groups of 7 or 9 and the fat rat.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
I should probably be backing up the save file often. I almost stopped the SMT: SJ LP due to loving up once but fortunately I had only lost about an hour. So far it would not be such a great loss since most of it is exploring and the grind is not TOO BAD yet, but I guess if it got corrupted later on I would hate myself.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Updates shall resume soon. Also, what map style WOULD BE BEST? Parchment is winning. But there is still chance for other things.

Thesaya
May 17, 2011

I am a Plant.
No, no others please. Parchment is good.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Update 14
Back to annoying Queequeg, I guess. His information is useful. I still have no idea what to do with the silver key.

Yes, but WHICH.

Going down. drat, this one is 246kb while the game images themselves are 50 or so, haha. EGA style also used very little space but it was butt ugly.
I was getting used to it though.

Maybe the silver key can be used on this one?

NOPE. And not in the other bunch of doors on this corridor. There is something.

: "Know anything about it, DETPOPE?"
: "NO."

Can't do poo poo. Need skull things. Or jewels. Cannot open it with lockpick OR through forcing. Oh well.

Nope. So let's move on.

Well it seems we have explored a bit.

Think this is about all that can be currently explored of the first basement. Let's move on.

Also nothing on

Well let's move on some more

Well now, this is a different place.

Yup.

There are things! And doors!

And clearly STAIRS.

Seems I have been mapping adequately, it lines up.

Of course, nothing opens it. Nothing we have opens that door.

Going up instead.

The belfry, eh? There ought to be a bell in there. And things.

A hole!

"Fell from above"

: "Bat droppings."
: "You can recognize it by sight?"
: "Or by smell?"

Going up again.

And holes down!

Even more holes down, how can one pass this part?

"is used to ring it by holding on and jumping in. It also appears to be the only way across the well."

BONG.

Oh crap.

Couple of bats.

There is a door there.

BUT it cannot be opened.

So let's go back.

Uneventful, again.

Spade keys, eh? We have seen a spade door!

SNAKE takes them. He carries most keys. Except the silver key.

Next we should find that spade key again

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
For those playing along, the belfry is a good early spot to grind bats if you think you need it. They'll spawn every time you swing across the belfry.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Yeah, good spot, I forget if it's faster to just sit and spin in the basement or go up to the belfry. Good spot to come back to if you get your rear end handed to you in the next area I guess.

You should be using map notes too Luisfe, you will frequently have to advance to new areas to find things, and then backtrack a long way to unlock some previous unopenable door or similar.

Washout fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Mar 13, 2014

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
My sister just acquired Dark Souls 2.

Yeah. Updates a bit more sporadic for a while now.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Getting more and more bats out of the belfry just makes me imagine it as some Middle Ages clowncar.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Updates resuming soon, maybe even tomorrow.

Dark Souls 2. Also severe gastrointestinal issues. But mainly the latter.

Should play more dark souls.

GrimRevenant
Mar 28, 2011

Je Reviendrai.
Thank gently caress you switched to a less eye-searing map type. I was getting heartily sick of having to cover my eyes and scroll quickly past every map you posted. :cripes:

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Update 15

Well let's use that key in this particular door!

Right here, at the very top.

SUCCESS!

: "Should have smelled this floors ago!"
: "IT SHALL PROVE TO BE A MERE NUISANCE"
: "No, seriously, this is horrible. Really really horrible."

: "BEHOLD, MY MASTERY OVER CORPSES. "

Corpses have no musical ear!

: "CURSES. IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN EFFECTIVE."
: "Maybe next time. But this is seriously making me gag!"

: "oh. NO. THIS IS NEVER COMING OFF. OH NO NON ONONO WHY"

Ayup.

After a better reroll because wasting an entire turn with poo poo that doesn't work is not a good thing. God drat.
That was a disgusting encounter!

"which you have recently put to rest."

And with the party considerably less grossed up, there IS A TREASURE.

Success! And of course, DETPOPE gets the skullcap.

Interesting haul. Chrome keys seem to be better than Iron!

But not here.

It does not work on the belfry! Where the hell can THAT key be? It is not a generic. Or is it? I have no idea.

The skullcap is a -1 AC thing.

The mitre is better.

So also let's change STERV's getup. That's good so far. Hopefully better gear for everyone can be acquired soon.

Doesn't do poo poo on there.

STERV gets a level up with a good amount of skill points. I am not gonna complain.

And a new spell.

MONMOON doesn't get much, but it's not bad.

Didn't someone say that magic stats/skills did not increase with use? It seems like this one is. Hm. Might've misread.

New spell! Of course I CAN'T GODDAMN READ WHAT IT IS because I am a goddamn idiot.

Oh shut up, L'Montes. You can't tell me what I need to know. Which is either the location of the treasure OR the captain's den's password. Oh well.

Oh! It was Cure Paralysis. That ought to be useful!

TINKLEE has a shitload of skill points! That is great!

Is this 20% critical? Because if so, that's great.

New spell. Bleh.

TINYSAN also got a good haul! Not gonna complain.

Sure, why not.

So let's go back to the second floor once I refamiliarize myself with the other areas.

Aaadvancing.

This is not doable at the moment. TINKLEE's pushing does not get THAT strong.

The Iron Key is useless.

BUT the Chrome key did!

Excellent!

"Spectacle to behold. The fossil of a bed that spanned a width greater than the length of three men rests in ruin upon the floor, and scattered through the room are piles of rotted woodwork that used to be furniture. This suite is most certainly the former chamber of the queen, and it makes you wonder whether the rumors about her peculiar rituals with young men were true."

: "The Queen's chambers. Must have been a sight to behold when they were maintained."
: "Maybe it wasn't."
: "I am pretty sure there were sights here."

This one CAN be opened though.

That's like a walk-in closet isn't it.

Hm. A button. I wonder what it does?

Well now. TREASURE

That is clearly the answer!

Well now.

WELL NOW.

I say!

Of course, TINKLEE does not fit.

Because ONLY faeries are unable to use it! Otherwise it would be a HELL OF A GREAT PIECE OF ARMOR. Well. Damnit.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Not thank Monks can use it anyway. It might be one of the better reasons to start with a Valkyrie.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Luisfe posted:

It does not work on the belfry! Where the hell can THAT key be? It is not a generic. Or is it? I have no idea.

Nope, it's not generic.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...although, if I'm reading that description correctly, both men and women can equip it. Huh.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
New version of Grid Cartographer!
http://www.davidwaltersdevelopment.com/tools/gridcart/

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Yeah spell skills do not rise with use, oratory, which determines what level of spell power you can use along with your level does go up with use however. And since your samurai has over 50 sword skill now she gets to put all her skill points in manually. Kirijitsu is the other skill that also does not go up with use, and the lock picking and stealing skills advance so slowly they need a lot of manual skill points too. Practicing hiding all the time is a great way to raise that skill though. And if anyone in your back rank can equip that whip I think it's a ranged weapon.

It is not worth pumping Kirijitsu over the spell skills though. I think each level is .25% or .10% chance. So 100 skill is something like 25% or 10% chance of insta kill. And you class adds an innate bonus as well, depending.

Washout fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Mar 22, 2014

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Glazius posted:

...although, if I'm reading that description correctly, both men and women can equip it. Huh.

So can bards. I think Sterv might have new armor.

Even if this doesn't happen, I request a drawing or something.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

azren posted:

So can bards. I think Sterv might have new armor.

Even if this doesn't happen, I request a drawing or something.

Bras as armor seems to be a D. W. Bradley thing in general - they crop up throughout this entire trilogy of games, and also show up in Wizards & Warriors, another game by the same guy.

Come to think of it, an entire swathe of this game will be not safe for work due to lots of bare titties on display for a certain enemy group.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Cythereal posted:

Bras as armor seems to be a D. W. Bradley thing in general - they crop up throughout this entire trilogy of games, and also show up in Wizards & Warriors, another game by the same guy.

Come to think of it, an entire swathe of this game will be not safe for work due to lots of bare titties on display for a certain enemy group.

HUGE SPOILER DO NOT LOOK IF YOU WANT TO BE SURPRISED.

Your welcome!!

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Washout posted:

HUGE SPOILER DO NOT LOOK IF YOU WANT TO BE SURPRISED.

Your welcome!!

Well now. A whole section full of those? You don't say...:shepface:

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Well, no, but that is the art style they are in. It's actually MORE blatant in a few other areas.

What is really funny, is that one of the vendors in a later area is super naked.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Update 16

Oh my.
STERV CAN wear the drat bra! That's gonna last him for a good while!

: "Felpurr feels pretty."
: "THE QUEEN'S... BODICE WILL SERVE A NEW FUNCTION NOW."
: "I feel that there is something extremely wrong with this."

The bullwhip could be used by almost everyone! Except samurais, it seems. Maybe it should go to DETPOPE, but not right now.

drat, this is refusing to budge.
A couple of loads later, SNAKE actually unlocks it. It had 3 tumblers.

"this his personal quarters. The walls are a panorama of hand-painted murals and every nook and eficie shows the handiwork of finely skilled artisans. Even within this darkened ruin, a bit of the wondrous splendor that used to shine here still lives. The decomposed remnants of a towering bed have slumped against the far wall and remains of furnishings lie spread throughout the room."

Sizeable, eh?

Of course, we cannot have a closet like this without a secret button.

Ah, a grate thing. I wonder if we can open it.

And we can! The key of the Ramm did the trick.

"in the chest, apparently made of gold. Mounted into the hilt are several gems and two runes are engraved underneath."

I bet this is magic.

SNAKE got himself a good level up.

And a spell that is not particularly useful since STERV can irritate everyone.

DETPOPE as well.

Sure, why not.

And this is the last door that we can open with the Key of the Ramm.

: "Hnngh. The key broke in the lock."
: "YOU CLUMSY OAF. FOR YOUR SAKE I HOPE THAT WAS THE LAST DOOR THAT UTILIZED IT. OTHERWISE WE ARE IN TROUBLE."
: "Last time that happened it was in the jail, and we couldn't even use that one on the cells. Weird, I think."

"ghoulish acts depict a story of horror, giving cold sobriety to its unholy purpose. These images brutely dispel any ideas of gaelic charm the castle once held, an innocence consumed by the shocking nightmare of its reality."

And of course, there are fountains. Will they give life or death? We shall see later.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
A feathered hat, a bra and suede pants. On Sterv. :heysexy: That's amazing.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Yapping Eevee posted:

Someone really needs to draw this.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Yapping Eevee posted:

gently caress.

Blasphemaster posted:

Someone really needs to draw this.

I'm on it. :getin:

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Mar 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

THIS IS WHAT YOU WANTED.

The bra's not studded, but it claims to be leather and gently caress if I'm going to go any deeper down that rabbit hole.

• Locked thread