Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazy Dastard
Aug 30, 2004

"Typhoid, rattlers, and now drownin' in rivers? I think we need ourselves a new leader, or we're goin' the way o' the Donner Party."
Oooh you're getting ever closer to the massive plot dump in the bottom of the Mines. Can't wait. Be sure not to save on the level you get it, though, that's where I ended up mangling my save, must be glitchy.

In the meantime, I thought I'd update some people on my concurrent Wizardry progress. I powerlevelled "multiclassed" everyone into either a ninja, monk, or samurai at least once to get everyone in my party Kiritjutsu and Ninjutsu, as well as to maximize skills. To grind I used the Enchanted Forests' encounters (barely accessible from the castle, so not really a spoiler) until I actually GOT to the Enchanted Forest, where I promptly began grinding on T-Rexes. When everyone can hide, they're far less of a threat and more of a battle of attrition, especially if you spam AoE spells and exploit status ailments like poison and nausea. Hidden characters in Wiz6 are untargetable even with Area of Effect attacks and spells, something they "fixed" in Wizardry 7, sadly. T-Rexes are worth something like 125,000 experience so it took maybe an evening to get everyone in the party up to the high 20's in level, not that I needed it, but I wanted real powerhouse characters for transference to Wizardry 7.

Of course that's where it got interesting. I had to grind like mad on that lousy 5% chance that the high-level monsters in the endgame areas drop rare super items, and after finally getting them decided to "transfer" those items to my other end saves (using BaneEdit) in case I wanted to go with a different ending when I started Wiz7. That way I figure I'm at least saving myself hours of extra grinding. Guess the joke's on me because Wiz7 only lets you transfer a handful of items over and only 1 major magical item, and what you do get to keep seems to be heavily randomized with some of the crazily broken stuff like glass slippers being out of the question.

Now for my moment of nerdy RPG gloating glory: There's something worse than the T-Rex in Wizardry 7: loving Godzilla. He's a souped-up fire breathing version of the T-Rex, having way more HP and damage potential than the loving end boss and on Expert level 2 of him spawns if you run across him (so I got to battle 2, of course). I'll link his stats page to give you some idea of what I'm talking about. The battle took over an hour and I only had 1 PC death (my Bishop) and a few summons killed, and thankfully Wiz7 lets you resurrect mid-combat so she still got the experience.

The stats page for that bastard
Proof that I beat him, even if it required getting his clone to help fight him.

My party got 860,000+ experience for that one fight. I'm pretty sure Sir-Tech put those monsters in the games as a joke and you weren't intended to actually beat them, but I'm always up for a challenge. I'll have to assume Wiz8 probably has some similar hidden super-monster too, I wouldn't know, I've yet to play it.

Edit: Fixed the URL, had the wrong stats page up.

Crazy Dastard fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jul 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is there any downside to resting? Does it pass time and you're on a timer, or consume food?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Glazius posted:

Is there any downside to resting? Does it pass time and you're on a timer, or consume food?

You can be attacked while resting, and if you're poisoned or in 7/8 diseased, those tick away.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Cythereal posted:

You can be attacked while resting, and if you're poisoned or in 7/8 diseased, those tick away.

It also forces you to rebuff if you use the long-term buffs, costing MP, time, and possibly scrolls.

Mostly it's the being attacked thing. I haven't played 7 in years, but in 8 most of your party is likely to start a battle from resting asleep and/or surprised, which makes them easy targets. There's a spell that makes you less likely to be asleep or surprised, Shadow Hound, but I don't remember if it's in the earlier games.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Prism posted:

It also forces you to rebuff if you use the long-term buffs, costing MP, time, and possibly scrolls.

Mostly it's the being attacked thing. I haven't played 7 in years, but in 8 most of your party is likely to start a battle from resting asleep and/or surprised, which makes them easy targets. There's a spell that makes you less likely to be asleep or surprised, Shadow Hound, but I don't remember if it's in the earlier games.

The starting resting thing is in 6 and 7 as well. Shadow Hound is in 7 but not 6, and is called Watchbells.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Crazy Dastard posted:

My party got 860,000+ experience for that one fight. I'm pretty sure Sir-Tech put those monsters in the games as a joke and you weren't intended to actually beat them, but I'm always up for a challenge. I'll have to assume Wiz8 probably has some similar hidden super-monster too, I wouldn't know, I've yet to play it.

Edit: Fixed the URL, had the wrong stats page up.

I played 8 the most of the three, and I don't recall any super fights that are not mandatory. There is Nessie and I guess Bela is another hard fight. But there are not any easer egg fights that I can recall.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Washout posted:

I played 8 the most of the three, and I don't recall any super fights that are not mandatory. There is Nessie and I guess Bela is another hard fight. But there are not any easer egg fights that I can recall.

What of the hidden dungeon? Technically, no fight in that maze of monstrosities is mandatory. And the encounters are hard enough to count as super-fights. I mean seriously Sirtech? Half a dozen monsters in a group and each of them can use a total annihilation spell, easily capable of killing or even incinerating the entire party?

I died so often in that dungeon it nearly gave me nightmares. Many fights ended after a single turn, even at level 15+. And not in my favour, I should add.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I really want to like Wizardry 8, I think it's got some solid mechanics and character development systems, but fights just drag on and on even with mods installed to speed things up. Every random encounter is an epic struggle in which you've got to expend all your party's resources to win, only to get hosed over when the next zerg rush rolls in and your dudes are exhausted and have no mana for spells. Having a Bard and/or Gadgeteer does ease the pain somewhat, but gently caress that game and it's time-consuming fights. I think there's a reason turn-based rpgs died out and Wiz8's long combats are just an example why. Great game otherwise, but it's only for the patient gamer, which I am not.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
That is only the beginning of the game. Once you get past Arnika you can steamroll the smaller fights or easily just run past anything you don't want to encounter. That said the game IS the tactical combat. So if you don't enjoy the combat system then there is probably not a lot left to enjoy.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
Yeah, the fights get easier but they can still take FOREVER, especially the hordes-of-little-monsters or group-of-meat-shields-and-a-wizard fights.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Update 31

Well let's go forward. Can't stay in one spot!

SQUIRE? What kind of goddamn lord is a SQUIRE? Also, the goat mask IS cursed. What do those signs mean? I DUNNO. We'll see.

1d12! But no plusses.

This one has the same maximum damage, but a higher guaranteed one, at least. I think the Flamberge is the right weapon to equip this "lord".

Explorin'.

Forks!

What else can I say? Can't run in this environment because that means going back once and then dying.
I guess.

SLEEP WORKS.

Nothing! Nothing at all!

Yes. Nothing.

Goin' ahead.

Bats! Rats with wings. I think I've already made that joke with STERV.

Enchanted Blade is a very useful spell, it seems.

Hooray.

Aaagh.

Not much to say! Just advancing whenever it is possible.

I mean, what can I say about this at the moment? It's just goin' ahead.

Back inside!

Clouds!

Not men of war.

Not a bad level up!

Stamina is probably a good spell to learn! We'll see.

...Right now I forgot what i picked on this session. Damnit.

STERV got a level too!

Yeah gonna level up THIS. Kirijutsu is ridiculously important, it seems!

TINYSAN also, vbut he got very few skill points.

Blaaagh.

They are not L'Montes, but they do work to change up the tedium! Hooray!

Hm!

"Side of the precipice, you see a tiny ringed target standing all by itself."

Let's see if this works!

It does nothing! Oh well, worth a try!

Broken? Hm. This might be useful eventually.

Let's give it to SNAKE.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Why am I smiling and laughing with glee that you found a broken catapult? I don't know.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Luisfe posted:

SQUIRE? What kind of goddamn lord is a SQUIRE? Also, the goat mask IS cursed. What do those signs mean? I DUNNO. We'll see.

Regen -2 means the character steadily loses health while it's equipped. Curse means it can't be unequipped without the Remove Curse spell. The fields below indicate the elemental resistances the item bestows - in this case, none.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Weird, I removed the Goat Mask without having to use any spells for it. It was not "stuck" like cursed items usually are.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
A broken catapult? Lord, we'll be flinging ourselves around like a platform character soon enough.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Not as busy but I just plain forgot about this. Have material for the next update, which will be later today.

Alternatively: I blame the cats.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Update 32

Let's reload!

"side of the precipice, you see a tiny ringed target standing all by itself. "

Hmm. HM. A rubber band?

And we have a busted one of those.

This is a maze! Then again, most of the game can be considered that can't it?
But this is particularly mazey.

Mmhm. Broken.

Can't use this!

Can we mix it?

Nope.

They are special though.

Let's identify them.

Uh.
Nothing?
Okay.

Let's pre-map. Hopefully that will be useful!

Agh! No access!

Let's go down.

I mean, we cannot do anything else. Seems like it was fully explored on this side.

Eeeeh.

A room! There may be something there.

Agh! A giant! Damned giants. They hit really hard.

These giants have hilariously high hp!

But the bigger they are, the harder they fall.

And the most XP they drop

Which leads to bleh level ups. Tinysan seems dumb.

But a new magic is always appreciated. Healing is useful. Always. DetPope can use some help with that.

There was a secret button here.
It leads to TREASURE.

Yes, this.

Mmhm.

Yeah I am not even trying with the other methods to get things open. Knock Knock is cheap AND works much more often.

Yes, like that.

Hmm.
This is probably a required item!

Tinklee gets this.

Meeeh.

Aww yeah.

Monmoon gets the zwei. He is a goddamn LORD.

Haven't we gone through here before?

I think so.

Aagh.

This is new territory though!

Mmhm.

Uh. I think I skipped something.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That... that's too many stairs.

That's too many stairs, Wizardry 6.

I want you to sit down and think about how people would actually live in this place day to day and how many of them would go mad heading to breakfast.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Glazius posted:

That... that's too many stairs.

That's too many stairs, Wizardry 6.

I want you to sit down and think about how people would actually live in this place day to day and how many of them would go mad heading to breakfast.

On the one hand, this part of the game is easily the worst in that regard. On the other hand, Luisfe has yet to encounter the real dick move down here.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Update: Soon. Very likely tomorrow. I get lost. I should play more often.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Update 33

Let's advance! But first we need to get our bearings! This only gets worse if one does not play often!
Which I honestly should. I would get things done faster!

Here we are!

Damned clouds!

They have spells. But so does the team.

That's not a bad level up! Level 5 eh? And 8 skill points.

New spell.

Okay, STERV's having issues. His piety is pathetic! PATHETIC! But let's make him a better ninja.

His only options right now are being a fighter OR a Thief. Might have to reroll him and savescum more in the future.

MONMOON has slightly better options, BUT nothing special. Nothing.

Damnit TINKLEE. Alchemist is theb est you can do? Gaaah. We need goddamn FAERIE NINJA.
Definitely gonna need to savescum the hell out of things there.

I blame the Karma.

SNAKE's got it better! He'll level up to level 8 soon. But should he be a samurai?

Eeeh.

But there is no way to advance through here.

Or this. Damnit!

Oh my! A button!

We have oil! We can fix it! Finally, getting rid of an item!

Uhhhhh

Uhhhhh?

Whuh?
: "I UNDERSTOOD THAT PERFECTLY"
: "Perfectly? Please enlighten us then"
: "WHY SHOULD I?"

Uuuuuhhhh.

Yeeah.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Now how much of that is actual accurate drawbridge engineering technobabble? It almost sounds like another wall of copy protection to me.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MR. J posted:

Now how much of that is actual accurate drawbridge engineering technobabble? It almost sounds like another wall of copy protection to me.

It's not a wall of copy protection. It's a puzzle.

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011
I am an inconsiderate moron whose only method of discourse is idiotic personal attacks.

MR. J posted:

Its a logic puzzle.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Okay, so I guess the first thing we need to know is if the safety's on. Are there like lights on this thing?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

I am simply amazed, I totally forgot about that puzzle until just now and remember trying and trying but finally just googled it.

Edit: does anyone have a diagram of the puzzle and its answer? That would be neat to look at.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Updates on hold due to acquiring Divinity: Original Sin.

That really might just be the best cRPG since Baldur's Gate 2.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Not surprised you're losing steam at the mines. It's definitely one of the most frustrating parts of the game... one other may match it, though.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
I should update soon. But meanwhile I am a goddamn idiot masochist, and thus, prebought YET ANOTHER goddamn first person dungeon crawler thing.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/291960/

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Luisfe posted:

I should update soon. But meanwhile I am a goddamn idiot masochist, and thus, prebought YET ANOTHER goddamn first person dungeon crawler thing.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/291960/

I just saw that last night and just mentioned it in the PC RPG thread. It's only the second Elminage to come to North America, and it's very cheap. The first one is still available as a download for PSP, but it's much pricier ($25). A great option if you want more Wizardry-ish gameplay: hard, grindy, mildly sadistic.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

JustJeff88 posted:

I just saw that last night and just mentioned it in the PC RPG thread. It's only the second Elminage to come to North America, and it's very cheap. The first one is still available as a download for PSP, but it's much pricier ($25). A great option if you want more Wizardry-ish gameplay: hard, grindy, mildly sadistic.

Yeah, I was fully expecting it to be above 20 bucks.
8 on prerelease? Oh yes. Snatched that up instantly. Did not even read that it would come with a bestiary (hell yeah! Elminage has some pretty good monster illustrations) and soundtrack.

I am happy.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Luisfe posted:

Yeah, I was fully expecting it to be above 20 bucks.
8 on prerelease? Oh yes. Snatched that up instantly. Did not even read that it would come with a bestiary (hell yeah! Elminage has some pretty good monster illustrations) and soundtrack.

I am happy.

This Elminage has some particularly weird monsters and their art looks nice.

Example from their website:

I'm happy too. The inexpensive preorder sold me, I was expecting (and bracing for) more.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Prism posted:

This Elminage has some particularly weird monsters and their art looks nice.

Example from their website:

I'm happy too. The inexpensive preorder sold me, I was expecting (and bracing for) more.

That and the new Gauntlet are on my list. This Elminage has auto-mapping too, which is a necessity for me. Anyone who wants to draw his own maps is loopy.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
I was planning to update last week.
But Divinity Original Sin happened. I will try to update this before Elminage is released.

God drat it. Alternatively, I will update on the 19th if Elminage draws me in like Divinity does. I need to actually make proper schedules for the games I am playing, hahaha.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Update later. I was planning for a gimmick update on Elminage, but I quit trying to get a Human Ninja at chargen after 45 minutes of rerolling.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Update 34

: "FIRST, WE NEED TO ENGAGE THE SAFETY. THAT MUCH SHOULD HAVE BEEN OBVIOUS EVEN FOR STERV. EVEN FOR HIM. "

: "IMMEDIATELY AFTERWARDS, AS DELINEATED SO CLEARLY IN THE INSTRUCTIONS, WE NEED TO TRANSLUX THE PUMP. THIS IS BASIC."

: "THEN, THE COILWRAP MUST BE ACTIVATED, SO THAT THE NEXT STEPS ARE ACTUALLY POSSIBLE"

: "WITH IT THEN WE ACTIVATE THE TRUSS DRIVERS. "

: "AFTERWARDS, THE SAFETY NEEDS TO BE DISENGAGED. AFTER ALL WE CANNOT UTILIZE THIS MACHINE WITH IT ON"

: "LASTLY, THE WINDER. THIS IS SERIOUSLY SIMPLE. WHY COULDN'T ANY OF YOU DEAL WITH THIS?"

: "AND THAT ACTIVATES IT. COULD NOT BE SIMPLER. PERFECTLY LOGICAL."

Uhhhhh?

And with that we have a bridge! Hooray.

Advancin'!

Yeah, this is dangerous. We need to save first!

Resting works well, we need to rest. Otherwise the dangers are high.

Damnit!

Let's try again!

OH GOD.
Seriously, this NOT an easy encounter!

They hit ridiculously hard.

Make Wounds is not the best thing.

Goddamn fireballs are groupwide attacks! That's not good!

Goddamnit.

Let's try again!

A rather mediocre level up. But it is a level up. Let's see.

Sure.

And the potion did not work, so this is gonna have to do the trick.

Sure.

And it worked!

And then up.

And again.

And again.

God drat it. This does not bode well.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The trick to giants is one spell: Blinding Flash. It renders them impotent while you deal with clouds and whittle down their hit points.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Yeah you should not be wasting amulet of life on giant encounters, those are pretty common.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Washout posted:

Yeah you should not be wasting amulet of life on giant encounters, those are pretty common.

He hasn't even run into the nasty kinds yet. :allears:

I'm sorry, Luisfe, but I'm find this all very entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

From that image I imagine DETPOPE didn't get buried, but instead was assigned the graveyard shift for the next century or so as punishment for screwing up.

• Locked thread