Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow. Seems like things just suddenly got harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Glazius posted:

Wow. Seems like things just suddenly got harder.

They are, but I wouldn't really call giants part of it. They're tough and hit hard, but are very easily neutered by an early game spell. Status conditions are very powerful in this trilogy of games.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Cythereal posted:

They are, but I wouldn't really call giants part of it. They're tough and hit hard, but are very easily neutered by an early game spell. Status conditions are very powerful in this trilogy of games.

In some ways, kind of a nice change from other games (*cough* Final Fantasy *cough*) where they are useless in any situation where you could really need them.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Cythereal posted:

The trick to giants is one spell: Blinding Flash. It renders them impotent while you deal with clouds and whittle down their hit points.

Debuffs are ridiculously useful in Wizardry, abusing them is key to victory.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

corn in the bible posted:

Debuffs are ridiculously useful in Wizardry, abusing them is key to victory.

It's why I always start with an alchemist in 6 and 7. Blinding Flash is an amazingly useful spell throughout the game. Silence, in the priest spellbook, is another vital condition spell to get and use early and often.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

In some ways, kind of a nice change from other games (*cough* Final Fantasy *cough*) where they are useless in any situation where you could really need them.

At least in the DS version of FF IV, status effects are awesome, and work on quite a few bosses. Nothing quite like silencing the Magus Sisters... :allears:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

azren posted:

At least in the DS version of FF IV, status effects are awesome, and work on quite a few bosses. Nothing quite like silencing the Magus Sisters... :allears:

I wish that I had known about that when I played that game on the SNES as a lad...

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Spent the weekend playing diablo 3 and Elminage.

Elminage with the two little map hacks (making one magic map work multiple times/forever, painting the walls white instead of light gray on it) make it much, much more playable. Extremely recommended!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Luisfe posted:

Spent the weekend playing diablo 3 and Elminage.

Elminage with the two little map hacks (making one magic map work multiple times/forever, painting the walls white instead of light gray on it) make it much, much more playable. Extremely recommended!

Link?! (I assume that you mean Gothic that just came out on Steam)

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

JustJeff88 posted:

Link?! (I assume that you mean Gothic that just came out on Steam)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/291960

And the mods can be found on this thread
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3666460

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Just don't start playing wasteland 2. Game is seriously engaging and really long. Although apparently a lot of the quests are broken if you don't follow the straight and narrow path.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Washout posted:

Just don't start playing wasteland 2. Game is seriously engaging and really long. Although apparently a lot of the quests are broken if you don't follow the straight and narrow path.

Too late!

Started playing that the moment backer beta access was given. I will EVENTUALLY restart. But now this, Elminage, and Divinity Original Sin.

But I should finish Strange Journey first and foremost so I can never again touch that one.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Update 35

Let's go up!

AGH!

One needs to save before attempting this poo poo!

Yeah. So this is easier with blinding flash. It's a shame. Not a single one of these dudes has blinding flash. Oh well I guess I will have to improvise and use what's available!

In the end, it works!

TO THE VICTOR, THE SPOILS.
Hm. Those may go better with Sterv.

Not a terrible level up, all things considered!

SNAKE also got a fairly decent one, I GUESS? I forget what we were aiming for with the levelups, but that seems fairly decent spread doesn't it? If not, it'll get fixed. Eventually.

SNAKE should be able to instakill.
The ninjas in Elminage sure can.

That spell sounds useful!

DETPOPE also got a level! Hoorayyyyyy

Weaken!

A button!

AND A TREASURE!

Don't care.

Huh.
What?
No trap?
NO TRAP.
That can't be good.

What,
WHAT? All this effort to get up here?
And NO GODDAMN TREASURE?

God drat IT.

Hey, at least he left something behind!

Uhh.

Uhh.

GOIN DOWN.

Bah!

Damnit.

Kind of tedious sometimes.

This will be useful for TINYSAN.

Er, going down through here will be useless!

Instead let's go through here.

More advancement!

Things happening.

Slowly inching my way through the drat maze!

But, I should not be mad. I am still in Strange Journey mode I guess! This should be joyful! This is a new experience! And I like it!
Even with the bullshit it has, it is LESS bullshit than Strange Journey is! And I like it!
Though I do miss automaps
The automap by default on Elminage is kind of bullshit.

Wait what.

Uhhh.

Cannot advance from here.

So instead advancing somewhere else.

Something here?

Yes! A second Rubber Beast!

Sure!

I wonder how many are needed. I mean it's pretty clear that we need a bunch of them. likely for the catapult thing.

Abd Sterv got another level! But... His piety is TERRIBLE.

A bit of magic works.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
OMG you are doing so well, I'm going to spoil it a little, you need 3 strands of rubber. And you need to keep exploring, because you have not found everything yet.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I really did not enjoy the mines in this game. The rest is pretty good.... except for river Styx

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Strange Journey is seriously such bullshit.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

augustus gluten posted:

I really did not enjoy the mines in this game. The rest is pretty good.... except for river Styx

Odd. The part you spoiled is my favorite part of the game.

Agreed on the mines being a real slog, though. Monstrous bats are a cruel joke: they're tough and hit hard, and yield utter poo poo for exp.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
When you fall, do you go down one level or do you go all the way down the mountain?

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Update 36

IT'S MAP TIME.

Goin' down is a thing that needs to happen.

Of course, there are doors downstairs.

And MONMOON got a fairly decent level up!

Unfortunately, this is the best spell that appeared. Oh well.

Nothing works.

MUSICAL key worked!

A treasure!

GOD drat IT.

I guess the wand is the important one

: "THIS IS MINE BY RIGHT. BESIDES YOU ARE ALL TOO IGNORANT TO APPRECIATE THIS CRAFTMANSHIP."

TINYSAN also got a fairly good level up! His piety is ABYSMAL though. Will need to switch jobs again in the near future to something else because goddamn, hopefully his int will increase.

Sure. Let's give him a goddamn alchemy spell

Bah!

More advancement.

Rooms, rooms rooms.

Another Rubber Beast! Let's kill it!

Damnit!

That was not that bad. Two paralyzations. That sucks.

Sure!

Let's mix this poo poo!

This cannot be mixed together! Hm
there must be something else.

Maps, maps maps.

And ANOTHER rubber beast! Is this the last one?

Yes!

And the mix is over!

Just advancing.

Upstairs!

There's a passage here!

With candles!

Uhhhhhhh.

Ah, yes, the DUNGEON themed restaurant.

Tried to go for an Ultima joke, but it doesn't work. Name! Job! Bye!

Mmmhm.

Errr. False prophet? What did I highlight there?

Seriously, what did I mouseover?
It's going to drive me nuts.

Mmhm.

Hmm
Special.
Let's buy it.

OOH! Nunchucks!

And a better bow!

Sure, 100 arrows should last for a while.

Hell yes!

Not a terrible item set

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
A few things to note here:

Keep coming back to Smitty until he has a Vulcan Hammer. It's F/V/L only, but it's the best weapon you'll find for a good while. Expensive, though.

Nunchuks are kind of crap, to be honest.

The no-dachi is the two-hander weapon for samurai and maybe ninjas. Useful.

Roasted corn is nothing special.

Oh, and remember Smitty. He'll be useful later...

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
but but

it said the corn was special

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Luisfe posted:

but but

it said the corn was special

That's Wizardry 6 code for "Not armor, weapon, or ammunition."

IIRC the corn is an item you can use in battle to heal yourself, maybe restore mana. I never used it.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Also, the thing that was in mouseover was apparently Ultima VI: The False Prophet.

Which is very strange, since I DO NOT HAVE Ultima VI. What. What could have caused that?

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Stuff on hold due to me having low willpower and getting Mordor because it was 28 bucks on Nuuvem.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Still, ya gotta buy roasted corn to support your local small businessman. And there's no more local than right in the dungeon!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Glazius posted:

Still, ya gotta buy roasted corn to support your local small businessman.

Vulcan Hammers. Really expensive for this point in the game, bar none the best weapon you can get at this point in the game.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Mordor is ridiculously good. AMAZING distillation of Batman, Asscreed and such other titles's mechanics I was very skeptical from the first videos, but it is a joy to play, and the nemesis system it has, along with the dynamic mission generator thing makes it VERY very fun.

Updates resuming today or tomorrow.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Update 37

Back to shopping!

Huh. I remember the infomercial for these. Did they really work?

Hoooly poo poo. That's expensive!

So, to get it, let's sell other things.

Hm. NO. I think this shall remain.

Eventually, it is bought.

Hah, all races EXCEPT faerie. Makes sense.
But only fighters, lords and valkyries. Fortunately, we have a LORD right now.

Mmhm.

This'll work.

And then let's cast it on this.

Oooh! A +4 weapon thing.

Advancin' once again.

Walls, walls walls.

Oh
OH. Great. And we just used ALL THE AVAILABLE FUNDS for one vulcan hammer.

Yesssss?

Oh. Well. Will come back later then. Team's broke.

That was expected.

Well now. That does not bode well AT ALL.

Reloading. And then grindin'. Either for money OR levels.

Like this! Piety and vitality are ridiculously low, both of them.

I think Tinklee needs to change classes again relatively soon. Fortunately, there are MANY that can put enemies to sleep now. Not like she was any good with the Lute. Sterv was a better bard. What should be the next class she should be?

I think that's a root vegetable thing. Or maybe not. Sounds foody though.

OH BOY.

That did NOT end well.

Luisfe fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 20, 2014

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The toll troll is just a beefed up giant. Blind him and he's harmless.

The man'o'war, though... yeah, I warned the thread about them for a reason. Almost every area has a giant gently caress-you monster or two, and the man'o'war is one of the two in this part of the game. The other being the monstrous bat, which gives utter poo poo for xp despite being a pretty beefy critter.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Out of curiosity, will the toll troll ever take your gold, or does he always demand more?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Glazius posted:

Out of curiosity, will the toll troll ever take your gold, or does he always demand more?

I don't know, actually. I've always killed him.

Edit: Giants in Bane

Blinding Flash. Seriously. If you haven't noticed how powerful conditions are in this game, this is the first area where it's all but mandatory. Giants in this area hit very, very hard, but have accuracy issues. Blinding Flash neuters the threat they pose. Just watch out for it wearing off in prolonged battles.

Also, you are going to want a high-level Blinding Flash and a high level Silence (stops enemies from casting spells), on different characters, before you're done in the mines. Trust me.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 20, 2014

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

You needed to be save scumming Tinklee so that she could get better stats. Aim for ranger but I don't know how you are going to do it with such low pie and vit. Otherwise the next class change is going to have to be to rogue or fighter or something without qualifications, and its even harder to dig back up to a good class from there.

May as well aim for samurai, Str 12, Int 11, vit 9, dex 12, spd 14, per 8. After samurai it's easy to get to Valkyrie as it only requires pie 11, vit 11 from samurai.

You should put at least one point into thaumaturgy before you class change too, you should always put at least one point in all skills that are class exclusive. Once you have them they are permanent.

Edit: I would highly suggest save scumming the first 5 levels each time you switch from now on. Just make sure you get relatively close to your next class requirements so you don't have to torture yourself trying to get the requirements in levels 7-10.

Washout fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 20, 2014

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Maybe I'm a cretin but I just used Cosmic Forge editor to get around the save scumming.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

augustus gluten posted:

Maybe I'm a cretin but I just used Cosmic Forge editor to get around the save scumming.

Considering D W Bradley's attitude to "I rolled for hours to get one character"? Hell no, you aren't a cretin. Just reading portions of the manual and clue book make my blood boil at the lovely attitude presented at times.

Wizardry 6 Official Cluebook posted:

Frustration? Did You Say Frustration?

If you've already created your party and it's exactly what you hoped for and it took less than an hour, you can skip this section... but don't brag about it!

"It took me two hours to create this party," he said. It's common. Dice rarely roll the way you want them to. Just ask anyone who's ever been to Las Vegas.

Keep in mind, that's the header, sub-header in italics, and first paragraph of an entire section that can be summed up as "It's to give the traditional feel, it encourages you to try other things, but mostly, it's because you need to man up, son!!!

As such, I support any actions which stick a healthy middle finger in the general direction of this section's advice.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

JamieTheD posted:

As such, I support any actions which stick a healthy middle finger in the general direction of this section's advice.

For what it's worth, this game was released in 1990. It's the old school of what Dungeons and Dragons, and what we now call RPGs, were thought to be. The attitude D. W. Bradley displays here is pretty typical of the prevailing RPG gaming culture at the time.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Cythereal posted:

For what it's worth, this game was released in 1990. It's the old school of what Dungeons and Dragons, and what we now call RPGs, were thought to be. The attitude D. W. Bradley displays here is pretty typical of the prevailing RPG gaming culture at the time.

True, but the intro to the cluebook is even more fun. See if you can spot why I think he's a shithead, not just a grognard. It's subtle, but it's there.

EDIT: To clarify...

- Yes, David Bradley made a game called Dragon's Breath, brought it to Sir-Tech. This much is correct.
- However, he was by no means, as he suggests here, the sole designer. Due to the fact that he was persuaded to fit "Dragon's Breath" into the Wizardry universe as a sequel to 3 (God knows how this happened, because completely nonsensical characters are quite common in Wiz V, but it did), Andrew Greenberg also had a hand in Wiz V. Even today, sources conflict on this, but the majority hold that Andrew Greenberg contributed as co-designer (Which makes sense.)
- Wizardry V did not, to my knowledge, win much of anything. In fact, it received many of the same criticisms the last four games had earned (namely, that graphics had not moved forward in seven years of developement.) Speaking of...
- Oooh, Mr. Bradley can't count. Ten years? No, seven. Even at this period of time, three years was a long time in gaming, so this is a bigger deal than it first sounds. (EDIT: Eight, as Wiz I was developed in 1980. Point stands.)
- The point about the game being first brought, mostly developed in 1984, and then rejiggered for a time and held back until after the release of Wiz IV is... Unproven. That's not to say it isn't true, but I've not found any proof of the matter either way.
- However... "A system that had been his own for 10 years" ... Really, Dave? So... You didn't think anyone would notice that you have the same chargen system, but with an extra two stats, some extra classes, and an extra few races? You thought that most of your command structure was unique? Maybe the levelling system, complete with "Some of your stats go down" bullshit we'd seen for at least three of the last five games? If he'd said something along the lines of "I rejiggered some stuff, added some stuff, but kept a lot of core mechanics", I'd be cool. But no. "I single handedly saved Wizardry", when his first foray (Wizardry V) is possibly the worst and least mature in the series (NPCs include a duck called Sparky, a bigfoot with athlete's foot, La-La Moo Moo, the temple of Kama Kazi... Want me to go on?)

Yes, 6-8 in the Wizardry series are arguably the "best" parts of the series (with some concerns, some of which we've already seen, such as titty amazons.) But in one introduction that makes my teeth grind, he completes the job of making GBS threads on 1-4 he started with 5, implies he's single handedly responsible for "saving" the series, and deeply implies he completely ignored mechanics of the previous games when crafting his "masterpiece" ... A claim that is patently false.

So yeah, I stand by my opinion that, as much as I enjoyed the games more than I did previous installments, D W Bradley himself, and elements of his writing/design philosophy (It's important to remember, this came out the same year as FF3, Battletech: Crescent Hawk's Revenge, Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday, Lord of the Rings Vol. 1, Megatraveller I, and Ultima VI) utterly repel me.

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Oct 21, 2014

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Cythereal posted:

Man, many RPGs were around in the 90's that required you to roll randomly on tables to determine your character's race and class. So you would start up a game and go "wow cool I rolled a elven ranger", or "oh poo poo the only race class I qualify for with these low rolls is a human rogue".

Everyone completely ignored these tables and just pretended they had the required minimums or the DM tacitly allowed cheating to roll your preferred race and class. Hmm I find it surprising that you somehow qualified for a paladin for the 3rd game in a row, you must get really lucky rolls, lets all play now.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Update 38

This is mostly... Inconsequential, honestly. It is a failed attempt. But it was still an attempt.

It's a lot of grinding. But what else can I do right now? I lack the required skills.

MONMOON is stronger now! Not a terrible level up.

And STERV had a fantastic level. And is now a hatamoto? Don't know what that is.

And he is better at ninjaing.

Not nearly enough points in instakill.

NOT a terrible level!

This is gonna be useful.

This is a considerably easier encounter than a SINGLE goddamn Man O' War.

: "Singing was never really my thing. The cat was more effective at it than I am! I am going to do something different with my life. I am still young and with everything ahead of me.
I SHALL MAKE GOLD."

And so TINKLEE became an alchemist.

That may be useful. Eventually.

One more encounter... And well, her piety and vitality are still VERY pathetic, but that's slightly better.

Another one!

And this is what I was looking for. At last.

Answered no.
The grinding still was not enough to get the drat gold for him anyways.

This is not going to go badly! Only one giant!

Oh. drat it!

Well, that worked.

AGH!

This isn't going well.

Welp.

I guess I need a level or two more for more than two or 3 casts of it. Since it wears down.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Or cast a higher power rank of it. Higher power levels of spells like Blinding Flash makes them more likely to work and keeps them active longer, particularly against stronger opponents.

Also, you are going to need a boulder. Only one if you're going to save before the part where you need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Cythereal posted:

Or cast a higher power rank of it. Higher power levels of spells like Blinding Flash makes them more likely to work and keeps them active longer, particularly against stronger opponents.

Also, you are going to need a boulder. Only one if you're going to save before the part where you need it.

The puzzle you're talking about is a real crappy thing.

• Locked thread