Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Glazius posted:

Hah! XOR the wizard. Perfect name for what happened to him.

Interesting concept given the mandatory DM Wish Bullshit. "Okay, yes, Bigby The Wizard now knows what you wished for. He's a clone somewhere in the world with half your knowledge, have fun tracking him down."

Remember that it's deliberate. The titular Bane of the Cosmic Forge is the Cosmic Forge's security system. There's another guy you can meet in the mines who used to be Xorphitus' apprentice until he grabbed the Forge. He wrote down that the queen would be in love with him. Sounds simple, right? The Forge turned him into a giant snake, which the queen happily adopted as her favorite pet since she loves snakes. Mortals aren't supposed to have access to the Cosmic Forge and the thing very deliberately and spitefully goes out of its way to gently caress over anyone who tries to use it outside the Cosmic Circle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Updates eventually.

Reasons?
Diablo 3 Season 4.
Metal Gear Solid 5.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Got one level 70 character in diablo 3 s4.

BUt MGS5 has consumed all my free time.

Updates will resume next week.
MG5 is like an open world Peace Walker. That is the best thing.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Update 63

: "Well, we spoke with a giant magical head and then plundered his bones. Now what?"
: "We go to his house and see what ELSE we can loot! Onward to the wizard's cave!"
: "The wizard's cave!?"
: "YES. THE WIZARD'S CAVE. IT MIGHT HOLD USEFUL THINGS."

Gross gelatin.

Keeping this level up. One more and then we'll see what Tinysan can turn into. We need more goddamn piety, I guess.

It worked!

Stairs up.

Another door. Will this work?

It worked!

More stairs.

There seems to be nothing here.

The morgue! I bet DETPOPE feels right at home.

But it seems like there is nothing.

Another use for it! It has not disappeared yet!

It worked!

: "A SNAKE!"
; "Me!?"
: "No! A snake snake!"

; "IT CAN TALK!?"

No, not really.

That's... very long.

Kiiiiind of too late, I guess.

That's a pretty funny name.

Yes, please tell us.

So, now Mystaphaphas is a snake. He used to NOT be a snake, but he is one now.
A magical, talking, long lived snake.

So, he wanted to be with the queen, eh.

Ahahahaah.
rear end in a top hat wish genie.

So, it kept to the LETTER of the goddamn wish. But not the spirit. That is fantastic.

What should be said to the giant snake?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
> SAME

There's not really much else that needs to be said.

I hope we find some other fools who tried to use the pen and got messed with. Those stories are always a little fun to read.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Glazius posted:

I hope we find some other fools who tried to use the pen and got messed with. Those stories are always a little fun to read.

Well, there's at least one more.

For the curious, however, this rear end in a top hat genie nature of the Forge is the game's titular Bane of the Cosmic Forge. This is the Forge's security measure against anyone stealing it from the Cosmic Circle and trying to usurp the power of the gods with it: the Forge will actively go out of its way to gently caress over anyone who uses it outside the Cosmic Circle.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Basically you can steal the pen of the gods and use it to write poo poo, it will just never work out the way you want it to. Ever.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Neruz posted:

Basically you can steal the pen of the gods and use it to write poo poo, it will just never work out the way you want it to. Ever.

In that case, what happens when you write "I want the bane of the cosmic forge to no longer exist?" (or something to that effect) I mean, I'm not stupid, I know that would still backfire, I'm just wondering how.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Stephen9001 posted:

In that case, what happens when you write "I want the bane of the cosmic forge to no longer exist?" (or something to that effect) I mean, I'm not stupid, I know that would still backfire, I'm just wondering how.

Well, then it would most likely remove the Cosmic Forge, the only means of changing the universe, and the universe would probably die thereafter. After all, it's essentially the interface portion of the universe's Unity Engine.

No messing up the universe because you don't like the security measures! :v:

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

Stephen9001 posted:

You're teleported to another dimension where the cosmic forge was never created. If you're lucky, there's a planet Earth still there and that's where you end up.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

thiswayliesmadness posted:

You're teleported to another dimension where the cosmic forge was never created. If you're lucky, there's a planet Earth still there and that's where you end up.

Speaking from past experience are we?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Update 64

Let's see if Mystaphaphas can tell us anything interesting.

He is not happy about the Cosmic Forge.

Wouldn't that be herpetophile, or something.

Like what?
On the other hand, APPARENTLY immortal snake. 120 years.

HMMM.

Yes, that was understood.

Not a terribad level up. But his Kirijutsu is still pathetic.

Moving.

Have done this a couple of times now.

The idol is equipable! Also, wizard hat.

Wizard ring!

MONMOON will change class soon. Not gonna get to level 9.

DETPOPE probably going for a priestly thing again. Not the best change but eh.

SNAKE will probably go for alchemy.

And hopefully, TINYSAN will get SOMETHING different the next level.

This must be the door mentioned by Mystaphaphas.

Ominous!

Hmm!

HOLY poo poo, TILE VARIATION.

A new tile!

And it even kind of animates!

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Snake should go ranger, it's an advanced class with better stats, so better chance of getting to samurai or lord, you really need a lord and Valkyrie eventually. I was hoping to see monmoon get to the stats needed for lord, but instead he'll have to go ranger too.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
Monmoon was a lord once, so he should have the abilities and skills he got from that. Do you need to have a lord at a certain point in the game for something?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Word of warning, Luisfe: this area is a significant step up in difficulty. Watch out for crabs.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

Stephen9001 posted:

Speaking from past experience are we?

You play enough old school D&D at high levels, you get to see a lot of dickery done with wish spells.

How far are we from the end? Would it be worth it just staying in job till things wrap up?

Elminage Gothic is another game done in the Wizardry style, and it has late game equipment players can equip only if they've stayed one job the whole time. I know Wizardry encourages job changing, but has it ever done much in the later games to encourage solo-classing?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

thiswayliesmadness posted:

How far are we from the end? Would it be worth it just staying in job till things wrap up?

I'd say this is about the halfway point of the game, and no. The game's difficulty is only going to escalate from here.

quote:

I know Wizardry encourages job changing, but has it ever done much in the later games to encourage solo-classing?

Wizardry 8 completely revamps just about every mechanic from 6 and 7, and makes solo-classing the norm.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Rawkking posted:

Monmoon was a lord once, so he should have the abilities and skills he got from that. Do you need to have a lord at a certain point in the game for something?

He has the stuff unlocked, but yes end game you should try to have one of each advanced class, and he has switched enough at this point that he could probably stop and stay a lord, although I beat the game at only level 12 or something after a ton of class switching, so actually leveling past level 12 is really difficult without extreme grinding.

But in order to max the skills like kurijitsu and mage skills that won't advance on their own like weapon skills and ninjitsu you have to be class switching to dump points into them and get them maxxed. You also get extra spell picks, and since the majority of spells are not purchasable it's the only way to get them by switching classes too.

Washout fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 14, 2015

jpublic
Aug 14, 2015

Cythereal posted:

Wizardry 8 completely revamps just about every mechanic from 6 and 7, and makes solo-classing the norm.

As I recall, in W8 they even make some of the hybrid classes less effective than the root classes they're based on.

But combat can be so tedious in the game you really don't want to risk changing classes and crippling your effectiveness.

The only class changing I ever did in W8 was to convert my offensive casters to Bishop, sometimes convert my Valkyrie to Lord (or vice versa), and take my Priest to Lord.

The one guy I never switched was my gadgeteer because he was too fun.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Well I guess considering the hardware limitations they had to deal with at the time saving the tileset change for this was probably not unreasonable after all.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Sorry, I'm still in awe they actually varied the tiles, finally.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Glazius posted:

Sorry, I'm still in awe they actually varied the tiles, finally.

If it's any consolation, this is also the last time it does so. :v:

If this LP goes into Wizardry 7, though, that game does have several tile sets.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

jpublic posted:

As I recall, in W8 they even make some of the hybrid classes less effective than the root classes they're based on.

But combat can be so tedious in the game you really don't want to risk changing classes and crippling your effectiveness.

The only class changing I ever did in W8 was to convert my offensive casters to Bishop, sometimes convert my Valkyrie to Lord (or vice versa), and take my Priest to Lord.

The one guy I never switched was my gadgeteer because he was too fun.

I think they finally actually balanced it in Wiz8, if you dedicated yourself to single class then it would work fine in a large party, it's no big deal to even take wizards or psionicsts as single classes as long as you have a full party. If you were only playing a 2 player party then it's easier to see that multiclassing them both as bishops to get all spells then switch to rogue or fighter is the most powerful thing to do but it only works because you get more XP in a 2 man party. Taking those same two characters in a full party as bishops maxing out two spell schools each and then switching would work in a large party but would not come online until way later while the single classes carried them.

I'm still sad we are not going to see a western Wizardry 9, japan has the entire license now and is repeatedly releasing boring grind fest games that are extremely niche.

jpublic
Aug 14, 2015
That PS2 one (Tale of the Forsaken Land) was pretty good, but that appears to be the exception rather than the rule.

There's a bunch of copycat games on the Vita which are of varying quality, but they're pretty much all "hub town with dungeons", and unfortunately grindy.

I don't know what it is about the hub town concept that speaks to the Japanese market so much.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Cythereal posted:

If it's any consolation, this is also the last time it does so. :v:

If this LP goes into Wizardry 7, though, that game does have several tile sets.

That's the plan.

It is gonna take a while though!

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Luisfe posted:

That's the plan.

It is gonna take a while though!

I managed to get through 6, but running 7 in some kind of win95 emulator thing or whatever it was really killed that game for me. I didn't make it anywhere and ended up just importing my low level wiz7 party into 8. Somehow the interface was just harder to use.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Washout posted:

I managed to get through 6, but running 7 in some kind of win95 emulator thing or whatever it was really killed that game for me. I didn't make it anywhere and ended up just importing my low level wiz7 party into 8. Somehow the interface was just harder to use.

All three are on Steam and work fine if you want.

7 on a mostly blind run, though... yeesh. That is not the most intuitive game in the world even if I really like its atmosphere and world-building.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Cythereal posted:

All three are on Steam and work fine if you want.

7 on a mostly blind run, though... yeesh. That is not the most intuitive game in the world even if I really like its atmosphere and world-building.

Gog version here!

.. And also steam. Using the gog version with the automap mod.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Speaking of! Hell of a bundle, including Wizardry 6 and 7 if there is anyone reading this that has not already played it to death.

http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/retro-legends-bundle/

Also including carmageddon 2 and like 5 duke games. Very good bundle, all steam redeemable (gog would probably be better considering the titles) but hey, 17 classics for 2.5 dollars. Very nice.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Luisfe posted:

Gog version here!

.. And also steam. Using the gog version with the automap mod.

You are going to want the automap for 7. And a hint book, or the one built in.

Wizardry 6, obtuse as it can be at times, is ultimately a pretty linear game. Crusaders of the Dark Savant, however... In particular, if you don't mind a bit of sequence breaking, doing so ASAP can save you a lot of trouble. Made more complicated potentially by how you end 6. There's three different endings to Bane as I recall, and each one starts you off in a different place in 7.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Cythereal posted:

You are going to want the automap for 7. And a hint book, or the one built in.

Wizardry 6, obtuse as it can be at times, is ultimately a pretty linear game. Crusaders of the Dark Savant, however... In particular, if you don't mind a bit of sequence breaking, doing so ASAP can save you a lot of trouble. Made more complicated potentially by how you end 6. There's three different endings to Bane as I recall, and each one starts you off in a different place in 7.

Plus a fourth one for completely new players (Not that that really applies for the LP... But each of the games has a "You are completely new to this story" beginning.) Definitely prefer the automap version.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Update 65

I am lost.

I am totally lost. I cannot do anything in this area.

Nothing I have does anything.

This is interesting, honestly.
This is clearly a new area. And excitingly enough, there is a new tile! A NEW TILE!

No keys work on this goddamn door! Or at least no keys that are in the party's possession.
Bah!

It's been a while since we saw enemies such as these!
They provide no challenge.

If all the party was level 1 again, they still would be easy pickings, I guess.

STERV does short work of them.

: "That does not smell half bad!"
: "But how does it taste!?"
: "It disturbs me to agree with STERV. That could smell far worse."

What else to do? Check if there is anything new.

We already went there. Mau-mu-mu is no more.

This button does not work anymore. That is worrysome.

And this door does not open.

We have not been there, I think.

Or there!

Does not open, either. Hm. I wonder if they will open with another key in the future...

We HAVE been there-

Gross.

This one is locked though! But there is nothing new.

There was another entrance.

This leads down. But there is no instant drop.

Have not been able to open these either.

This was probably a place used by Xorphitus.

Or Mystaphaphas.

Cannot open this.

It would be a decent shortcut.
Nothing special.

We have been here.

And the door mocks.

It mocks.

Eh, what's the harm? We have opened poo poo before with nonkeys. The dang idol, the eyes. Why not?

What.
WHAT.

THAT ACTUALLY WORKED.
AND I WASTED AROUND TWO HOURS RE-EXPLORING.

What? a CAT?

Oh look! An adorable kitty!

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

I have no idea how you figured that out, I'm impressed, I'd completely forgotten about it.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Washout posted:

I have no idea how you figured that out, I'm impressed, I'd completely forgotten about it.

Mashing everything.
I tried the idol, all the keys, the crystal staff.

Why not the goddamn ring? I mean, random objects HAVE opened the things.

jpublic
Aug 14, 2015

Luisfe posted:

Mashing everything.
I tried the idol, all the keys, the crystal staff.

Why not the goddamn ring? I mean, random objects HAVE opened the things.

Congrats. That locked me in the game for ages as a kid, and even now I was planning on checking the hint book because I didn't remember.

There was a lot of (for the young me) really obtuse thinking required in this game. In subsequent play throughs since, I still need to check the guide because something about DWB's thinking does not click.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

jpublic posted:

Congrats. That locked me in the game for ages as a kid, and even now I was planning on checking the hint book because I didn't remember.

There was a lot of (for the young me) really obtuse thinking required in this game. In subsequent play throughs since, I still need to check the guide because something about DWB's thinking does not click.

Oh, such fun we will have in the next game...

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Wiz seven is absolutely mental.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
You've got "until a demon-cat from Hell appears" in there twice.

And, drat, now you've got even more inventory objects to rub on doors until they open.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Update 66

Let's continue! We opened this! I am proud of it.

: "How bad can it be?"
: "Pretty drat bad. Have you smelled STERV?"
: "This one resents that!"
: "And no one cares about your resentment."

Aww, look at the adorable fanged kitty.

It turns into flame.

What's good against fire? Clearly, ICE.

And this is likely a good precaution.

It is a TELEPORTY CAT! Also, I think I caught it between frames, or something.

I think this particular sprite looks pretty cool.

The cat has A LOT of hp. And it hits hard.

And it seems to be 100% immune to magic. So all melee, all the time.

Eventually it goes down.

A blue chest! What could it be?

That is probably not a good thing.

Ouch.

DETPOPE obviously gets the book.
SNAKE gets the key.

And even more treasure!

NOwhere as interesting or good.

This one had a trap that knock knock could not defuse, so that does not get saved. bLAGH.

What does this one have?

Nothing interesting, really.

So let's see if we can use that in the CLOSEST still closed door.
Nothing has opened this, not the spade key, not the iron key (none remaining because I am an idiot and gave them all to the Queen), not the copper ones, and not the... uh, what other one was it?

But we have a NEW drat KEY, time to try it on every door.
And there was a tower on the one next to it. We could explore that a LONG time ago.

Well, dang, it worked!
That was quick!

Ok. And WE ALREADY HAD that key as well! Not running all along everywhere! Convenient!

A ghost!

With a creepy gross grabby ghost hand!

Is this going for a Michael Jackson song? Annie, are you ok?

He seems to be confusied.

A long long time ago. He can still remember.
But not his name.

A dead... pope?

Just a random monk then? Maybe a bishop?

Sucks to be him, I guess.

A daughter? Hmmm.

Oh, so he does not like his daughter. Weird.

I WONDER if we are going to meet either...

So is that a bad thing? Is his daughter evil?

Or maybe he is just raving because he is a drat dead ghost.

The horn?

The light. He is gonna disappear.

Oh, something keeping him?

Uhh. He lost me.

Uhh.

And then the Fiends from SMT appear.

Aaaand he is gone.

Neat! New loot!

And there is nothing here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
To save you some time wandering around, head back to the water area. You need to use the horn down there.

Also, the Hellcat isn't immune to magic. If you had Deep Freeze, it makes pretty quick work of the kitty.

• Locked thread