Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Updates on even more of a hiatus than usual. The laptop I use to capture stuff suddenly broke (the monitor/screen, probably the connection), and I need to back up everything AND get it working in my current machine. This is very annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014

MartianAgitator posted:

I don't know if anyone has cheered you on recently, but, man, I am digging this thread. I only played Wiz 7 and 8, and watching this proto-Wiz 7 is a blast. All those teeming groups of monsters are absolutely terrifying: a million sirens to spell-gently caress your brain, giant crabs to tear you to shreds, and those sea serpents with their horrifying grins; drat. It's cool to compare this to all the Etrian Odyssey threads going on right now, too. Thanks, man!

Those monsters are another good reason for everyone learning ninjutsu: Hidden party members won't get hit by those nasty spells/attacks.

And I agree, great job on the LP, Luisfe!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Sorry to hear the LP curse has struck, but congratulations on getting back up and running and maybe finding your footing against these sudden hordes.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Got most of the stuff running now.

While it was not, I played and finished Mad Max.

It was a hell of a ride but that is over so I need to actually finish installing the needful things (pngcrush and adding a context menu entry for that), which is easy.

http://matthill.co/articles/optimise-pngs-windows7

It is just that well, I was playing Mad Max. If you can get it for cheap, it is an incredible ride.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Dangit. I messed up the capture so the files are way too large, instead of pngs, I captured jpgs and then turned them into pngs, which I afterwards passed through pngcrush, but the sizes are still ridiculously large.

Well, I knew I was forgetting some things then.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Update 072

Well, thins happen right.

Things get happening.
Laptop broke down. Will find out what to do with it since only the screen stopped working. Bah.

Demons! meet DETPOPE's fake dragons!
It should be pseudo, I GUESS. Fake fake dragons?

The colors seem less vivid than with the PNG capture... I hosed up.

Text is also less crisp. Bah!

Well, let's move on ahead. Should be enough grinding for this asswipe. If not, the summons might take some of the heat!

Like that.

And like that. THat is great.

Stings? So, they have barbs or what?

He now cannot do poo poo. And that is great.

That was a success!

And now this dude again.

Yeah yeah yeah we saw this before.

Bye.

Detpope is a better priest.

Astral gate sounds... different. Let's go for that.

And that worked! Hooray!

Agh! Encounter!

Oh! It banishes them!

The summons really help!

And there are fountains!

It restores stamina! Nice.

This one does not restore stamina...

BUT IT RESTORES MAGIC. That is great! Fantastic! This is THE grind spot then.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
I know in theory the struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart, but how does it feel to be finally getting powered up? It has to feel good.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Astral Gate is indeed an area-effect save or die spell that works surprisingly often, much like Dispel Undead. Like Dispel Undead, though, Astral Gate only works on a specific type of enemy, in this case demons. Aside from the nightgaunts in this area demons are fairly rare so you won't always get much mileage out of it, but it's certainly helpful.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Cythereal posted:

Astral Gate is indeed an area-effect save or die spell that works surprisingly often, much like Dispel Undead. Like Dispel Undead, though, Astral Gate only works on a specific type of enemy, in this case demons. Aside from the nightgaunts in this area demons are fairly rare so you won't always get much mileage out of it, but it's certainly helpful.

I thought there were some fairly annoying daemons near the end though, it will do good work there. As long as he hasn't completely forgotten about it by then.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Washout posted:

I thought there were some fairly annoying daemons near the end though, it will do good work there. As long as he hasn't completely forgotten about it by then.

Yep, it's a helpful spell in the situation it's designed for, I was just noting how exactly it worked and that the situation it's designed for doesn't come up much.

"Fairly annoying" describes just about everything in the final dungeon, though. Along with "loving lethal." I still think the twisted sylphs' noise is them laughing at you as they butcher the party.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Cythereal posted:

Yep, it's a helpful spell in the situation it's designed for, I was just noting how exactly it worked and that the situation it's designed for doesn't come up much.

"Fairly annoying" describes just about everything in the final dungeon, though. Along with "loving lethal." I still think the twisted sylphs' noise is them laughing at you as they butcher the party.

I got through the entire endgame save-reloading each time I got wiped by sylphs until eventually I missed them spawning, although there were a few mandatory fights I bulled my way through. Those have got to be some of the most annoying enemies in any game ever.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

Cythereal posted:

Is it capable of instant killing the mino-daemon? I assume the chances aren't good or it it's got some boss flag immunity.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'm trying to think of cases where "backstab with battleaxe" would actually be possible and coming up short...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Is it capable of instant killing the mino-daemon? I assume the chances aren't good or it it's got some boss flag immunity.

I'm at work so I can't check, but knowing how the game works the mino-daemon probably has significant resistance but not immunity to the spell. Bane and Crusaders - probably 8 but I'm not familiar with that game at all - don't have boss flags, just resistances to different types of attack. Likewise, it's entirely possible to get a kirijitsu critical on the last boss in the first round and instantly end it. It's a very small chance, but it's possible.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

Scaramouche posted:

I'm trying to think of cases where "backstab with battleaxe" would actually be possible and coming up short...

Well, you don't really stab an axe unless its got a spike on the top. On the other hand, SURPRISE SPEAR is a startlingly rich image.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Psudodragons have little scorpion stingers on the end of their tails. A housecat sized idiot dragon that can poison you if it gets in a huff. Of course, this is the 3rd edition DnD one, but that seems arbitrary enough to have been kept through the years.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

sleepy.eyes posted:

Psudodragons have little scorpion stingers on the end of their tails. A housecat sized idiot dragon that can poison you if it gets in a huff. Of course, this is the 3rd edition DnD one, but that seems arbitrary enough to have been kept through the years.

Yeah, they've been around since at least 2nd Edition, and are a favourite pet/familiar of dryads and other sylvan types. If you can hunt them down, the "Ecology Of" articles from Dragon are priceless, and the Ecology of the Pseudodragon (Featuring Greyhawk's Monster Hunter Society, a group of bumbling, narcissistic, and Chaotic Stupid wizards... Mostly) is a classic example. "Hey, let's kidnap a Dryad so we can milk her pet Pseudodragon's venom!"

...This ends with us learning of a Pseudodragon's idea of entertainment. Little buggers aren't strong, but their stingers are filled with a sedative/paralytic, and for laughs, they do their best to pose their victims in extremely embarassing poses between the "nighty night" and the muscles locking up. They have a special place in my heart beside Tucker's Kobolds, as Avatars of the Evil (But Not Murderous) GM.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Washout posted:

Those have got to be some of the most annoying enemies in any game ever.

That's a pretty high bar, especially in this genre. I can't wait until we get there.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Chuu posted:

That's a pretty high bar, especially in this genre. I can't wait until we get there.

Oh, believe me they deserve it. Other endgame enemies are straight-up murderous and will drown you under a tide of damage and instant death. Twisted sylphs like to play with you before sending you to the game over screen.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Looking forward to it!

E: Crowfeathers gave me a link to this and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVcu3nWyBdI

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Luisfe posted:

Looking forward to it!

E: Crowfeathers gave me a link to this and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVcu3nWyBdI

You won't be hitting twisted sylphs until the very last couple areas of the game, fortunately.

Word of advice, get deadly poison when you can. It's one of the few good ways to deal with a painful boss fight in the not too distant future.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Update 73

One of the fountains refills health and stamina.

The other refills magic. This is POSSIBLY the best grinding spot.

: "But the hunger still remains on this one."
: "We still have that roasted corn, if you want some"
: "... Not THAT hungry. Not yet."

Going down!

: "THERE IS SOMETHING HERE. I CAN FEEL IT."

There is two doors there. Closed. And a chest. Let's see how that happens.

Nothing to it. It is just some zombies.

And the skeletons taking the hits. Yeah. That works.

Now, for the loot!

Fuuuck, let's try that again.

No! This is bad!

This is not a good situation!

But let's do it again. With one more level on the magic. So this does well.

All of these are neat, but we only want the TOMB KEY.

Oh poo poo. Ghosts.

That is not the best result.

But due to DETPOPE being great, they do not do much.

Yuuup.

The key works.

Hmm! A mausoleum!

Not A buick. By Buick.

Oh poo poo.

Yeeeah. Let's try that later. Exploration first.

Yeah let's try that later.

It is bad jokes time.

Bad puns!

Marx Bros. reference?

Hahah.

Surely not Mr. Miracle's wife.

Due to DETPOPE being great these dudes are not that dangerous anymore.

A drat GREAT level up. But not great enough.

Poison gas sounds a good one.

From alchemist to mage again. Probably to alchemist again afterwards.

: "One puts on one's robes and wizard hat"

Hah.

Well yeah, that is narcissism.

Topical?

Insert metal gear joke here.

Well, we probably should rummage through all those bones. And use/abuse those fountains.

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014

You should wear that idol.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I love that instead of tweaking the balance they just threw in those recovery fountains.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

augustus gluten posted:

I love that instead of tweaking the balance they just threw in those recovery fountains.

Those are the last two fountains the crew will see for a long while, incidentally. I forget whether it's this game or the next that adds trap fountains that poison whoever drinks from them.

Remember, this point in the game is Bane taking the kid gloves off. It's only going to get harder from here on out.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

You really need to read the manual dude, when you switch to mage you get the highest stats in combination with your race and the class added together, mage only requires INT 11 or something. Bard has higher stats and you should have taken that instead if you are trying to climb the stats ladder to good classes.

I don't want to spoil it either but you'll really regret not having one of each superior class later on. You should probably make that your goal at this point because you have a good base of spells and stuff now.

Washout fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 11, 2015

Old Grey Guy
Feb 12, 2014

Cythereal posted:

I forget whether it's this game or the next that adds trap fountains that poison whoever drinks from them.

They're in this game already.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Update 74

Well let's start to see things here.

Work smart, not hard dangit!

Well dang. Last time that was not a good thing.

Well dang.

Dispel Undead is useful!

But that is not going to be kept.

Second attempt did not go well!

Well maybe Mr. Miracle's wife will be easier to defeat?

Well
no.

Nothing happened.

The hell is that.

Uhh.

That is a lot of stuffs.
Seems to be a hat? I wonder if it is a static drop.
Not saved.

This should be easier!
Only two zombie guards.

Well poo poo.

Well. poo poo.

Well poo poo.

GRINDING. Grinding is needed.

Mermaid tits. Is that more or less offensive than the amazulu tits

Well, let's also try grinding in the tombs.

Ghosts are scary!

Dispel Undead works VERY well.

Remove Paralysis is a MUST.

That is a good amount of experience!

A bunch of levels.

So time to do the "heal up and get magic back with the fountains" thing.

Spiders!

Sure, blink. More basic magic school points.

DETPOPE is by far the mvp here.

The conjuration summons vary by zone then? Seems like they are from the same spawn pool.

They become statues!

not the best amount of xp but I'll take it.

Hooray, demons. Detpope also takes that.

Not that good in stats, but the skills are good.

This sounds good!

This, also.

But flying? Oh hell yes. Better.

Uhhh/

Better.

These look creepy. Like DETPOPEs without a scythe

They go down easily enough.

Is this a bad choice?

Well, yes and no.

It is a single enemy spell.

It is strong, but it is a SINGLE ENEMY SPELL.

jpublic
Aug 14, 2015
Deep Freeze is for application to those Man o' Wars, bosses, and other super tough enemies. I recall using it well into the late game, because some of those later enemies have fire resistance.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

jpublic posted:

Deep Freeze is for application to those Man o' Wars, bosses, and other super tough enemies. I recall using it well into the late game, because some of those later enemies have fire resistance.

Yep, it's one of the two very powerful single-target spells for such situations, the other being Deadly Poison.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
I was given Undertale by dthulhu.

I blame that for the lack of recent updates.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Luisfe posted:

I was given Undertale by dthulhu.

I blame that for the lack of recent updates.

No one here (I think) will argue with you for choosing to play Undertale instead of Wizardry. Undertale is very good.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Stephen9001 posted:

No one here (I think) will argue with you for choosing to play Undertale instead of Wizardry. Undertale is very good.

I think it's got a fanatical fanbase and everyone else hates it to death.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
This game really demands a lot of breaks for grinding, doesn't it?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Glazius posted:

This game really demands a lot of breaks for grinding, doesn't it?

You could intelligently build your characters for the late game from the word go if you're familiar with the ins and outs of the game. :v: Luisfe's skated by until now, in part getting past several encounters without identifying and exploiting their vulnerabilities, but grinding does let weaker parties catch up.

In general, this game expects monsters to gently caress you over every now and then, nothing to be done but reload. Ideally you're strong enough to handle *most* encounters in an area, but occasionally you get bent over and that's just how it goes.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I basically just spent the last couple of days catching up on this LP from the start, since Wizardry 6 is one of the ones I never played myself and, reading this LP, I don't think I could. But thanks for doing it for us, Luisfe.

Man am I glad they got rid of that rear end-backwards dual-classing mechanic by Wizardry 8, though. This thread got me to grab the Wiz 6+7+8 pack on Steam, and something tells me I'll be replaying Wizardry 8 soon enough, that was a yearly tradition for me until my Disc 3 got too scratched up to play. I see some complaints about it in the thread, but the combat system was love, and I honestly never got tired of the game's fights, the bigger the better. I think the only ones I disliked were the underwater ones that locked off a bunch of your skills.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
For the last week I have been abroad with family.

Updates will resume soon since I will be back in Mexico.

I hope that all of you have a fantastic new year. I hope it is a very prosperous one.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

PurpleXVI posted:

I basically just spent the last couple of days catching up on this LP from the start, since Wizardry 6 is one of the ones I never played myself and, reading this LP, I don't think I could. But thanks for doing it for us, Luisfe.

Man am I glad they got rid of that rear end-backwards dual-classing mechanic by Wizardry 8, though. This thread got me to grab the Wiz 6+7+8 pack on Steam, and something tells me I'll be replaying Wizardry 8 soon enough, that was a yearly tradition for me until my Disc 3 got too scratched up to play. I see some complaints about it in the thread, but the combat system was love, and I honestly never got tired of the game's fights, the bigger the better. I think the only ones I disliked were the underwater ones that locked off a bunch of your skills.

I thought I wouldn't like 6 either but the combat and classing system grabbed hold of me anyway and I made it through. Definitely need to use a few quality of life patches and put a lot of thought into your starting party or it's pretty tough. Luisfe is doing it blind and it must be really hard going, I read faqs and such before making my first party. He got really lucky that the players gave him a bard and ninja right from the start since those are pretty essential starting party members.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Update 75

Well, that was a lot of both Undertale and not being in Mexico. Back in Mexico now, so it is time to start doing this again.

Back to grinding! Because them undeads down still murder the poo poo out of everything.

These dudes are very dangerous. More so than the demons since the demons get destroyed with Astral gate quite effectively.
Meanwhile these dudes go down in ones or twos.

Bard level! A good one if only for the skill points.

Yeah a single target one. Because WHY NOT. That might be useful against boss battles.
But probably not as good as it would have been against mau mu mu.

Dangit. Levitation DOES NOT WORK for what I wanted. It is like a hoverboard.
It is a disappointment

Dangit, Tinklee can only change t oTHief. That is not a good thing.

Well, let's make her a Thief. This is not a good thing.

This ought to give a couple of dang level ups.

And so it did. And Tinklee has two decent options. Probably going for BARD again if no better option appears.

Mmmhmm.

DETPOPE got probably his current last Priest level. Let's put taht poo poo to 100.

Death Wish is a Charles Bronson movie! But resurrection MIGHT BE a better choice.

TINKLEE is not getting any spells so I guess those are wasted thaum points.

Prismic missile is the only one that sounds good, honestly.

Hmm. Maybe Alchemist then?

But dang. STERV cannot switch to ANYTHING. That is seriously bad.

Detpope can become a fighter, which would do well for his HP, I guess, or a Ranger, which could give him some more spells, maybe.

MONMOON is already a ninja, and fairly awesome, but maybe a changecould be done... It is not like one cannot force ninjaness with level ups (well, maybe not, look at Sterv)

SNAKE is a samurai, but maybe a change could lead to him getting spells (WHICH WOULD BE GOOD) AND being a Ninja in the future again...

And Tinysan is a crazy naked ninja with an axe.
That is quite a mental image, honestly.

Should he stay as he is, or should that be changed?

It is quite fun that the Astral Gate really, really trivializes the drat demons. Now undead, which seemed to be non-issues before, are quite dangerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Maybe give Tinysan another level, see if L9 opens up another choice?

• Locked thread