Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Blasphemaster posted:

This decided it for me. We need a Swords and Serpents LP.

Oh dear God, I hadn't thought about that game for years until I read this 30 seconds ago. That game bent me over and made me its bitch back in the 80's, and you are a bad person for even mentioning it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Jenner posted:

Chiming in that the PS2 Wizardry is an amazingly good game.

Nthd. I looked and looked and I got Gamestop at no charge to find me a copy at a shop in Portland, Oregon USA. They shipped it to a nearby store for free and I got it for $5 because that was the price in the computer - amazing luck. Every copy I have seen on eBay is $50+

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Kangra posted:

I can't be the only one thinking Detective Pope.

You aren't.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

synertia posted:

Excedrine Migraine is the Nuclear Blast of migraine meds for me.

Agreed. I suffer from mild seasonal migraines and this plus just a bit of ibuprofen helps me. Very temporary and I have to take both constantly when I'm in "migraine season", but it helps me function.

Sorry to preach - I'm not a health professional - but I've really enjoyed the LP so far and I hope that you get well soon.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Luisfe posted:

I should update soon. But meanwhile I am a goddamn idiot masochist, and thus, prebought YET ANOTHER goddamn first person dungeon crawler thing.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/291960/

I just saw that last night and just mentioned it in the PC RPG thread. It's only the second Elminage to come to North America, and it's very cheap. The first one is still available as a download for PSP, but it's much pricier ($25). A great option if you want more Wizardry-ish gameplay: hard, grindy, mildly sadistic.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Prism posted:

This Elminage has some particularly weird monsters and their art looks nice.

Example from their website:

I'm happy too. The inexpensive preorder sold me, I was expecting (and bracing for) more.

That and the new Gauntlet are on my list. This Elminage has auto-mapping too, which is a necessity for me. Anyone who wants to draw his own maps is loopy.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Cythereal posted:

They are, but I wouldn't really call giants part of it. They're tough and hit hard, but are very easily neutered by an early game spell. Status conditions are very powerful in this trilogy of games.

In some ways, kind of a nice change from other games (*cough* Final Fantasy *cough*) where they are useless in any situation where you could really need them.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

azren posted:

At least in the DS version of FF IV, status effects are awesome, and work on quite a few bosses. Nothing quite like silencing the Magus Sisters... :allears:

I wish that I had known about that when I played that game on the SNES as a lad...

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Luisfe posted:

Spent the weekend playing diablo 3 and Elminage.

Elminage with the two little map hacks (making one magic map work multiple times/forever, painting the walls white instead of light gray on it) make it much, much more playable. Extremely recommended!

Link?! (I assume that you mean Gothic that just came out on Steam)

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I was looking at the parameters of the Cosmic Forge editor, and is it true that it doesn't allow you to edit your characters? If so, that is rather ridiculous... I was looking for a way to have character attributes climb high enough without constant save scumming, which I consider to be a sign of bad design. Yes, I realise that this was the way of things at the time, but I stand by my position. I'm a big fan of the Might & Magic games, and one thing I liked, at least about the early games, is that level-ups, stat bonuses and the like were not at all random, so there was no need to save-scum, and things like HP bonuses for higher Endurance were retroactive. On the other hand, there were situations where scumming for loot could happen, so 50% success.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I picked up a copy of Wizardry 6 for SFC for very little because I can play it on the Retron, and there is a "99.9%" complete English patch out there. I've been tempted to simultaneously post my run alongside Luis's if only to give everyone something to laugh at. That may seem like stealing his thunder, but I assure you that the staggering ineptitude with which I would do any such LP would undoubtedly make him look even better.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Wizardry 6 and 7, for me, are right up there with the first two Might & Magic games under "classic RPGs that could really use a modernisation." It will never happen as there probably isn't enough money in it, but I would like to see it nonetheless.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Washout posted:

The rights are tied up in a hellhole of a multinational legal morass. And the new M&M game didn't do well enough for another sequel iirc, that was probably the biggest nail in the coffin for these types of games.

As for the first point, so I've heard.

As for the second, I would also point out that M&MX wasn't terribly good... not bad, but not great either. Nevertheless, I'm sure that the useless bean-counters will use that as definite proof that the series isn't worth preserving without really considering that a rushed, mediocre game might produce mediocre sales.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

hong kong divorce lunch posted:

I've tried Might and Magic 1 many times and just can't get anywhere, it's so rough. I've done better with Wizardry, luckily.

Try 2; it's a lot easier to get into. The Mac version is the best if you can get it to run somehow. The DOS version is on GOG, but I don't find that one as approachable. The Genesis version is possibly the best, but without mouse control it feels awkward, which is I recommend the Mac version if you can manage it.

• Locked thread